Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Charlie Wiser of Three Dollar Kit has a good timeline of the Ariel school which makes it apparent to me that John Mack and Cynthia Hind did not use best practices interviewing the children, including interviewing them in groups and coaxing desired answers out of them, allowing the story to grow beyond an initial close encounter of the first kind (sighting of craft within 500 feet) to a third kind (beings sighted but not communicated with) and then a fifth kind (the communication the event is known for).

A good site in general: https://threedollarkit.weebly.com/ariel-school.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Something about the Zimbabwe encounter that I've been thinking about is how different it is from Operation Prato or the US military sightings. If aliens wanted to make overt contact and pass on a warning message, why would they choose a school as the location?

One potential answer is that it was a rogue operation (with everything that implies for alien social structures), but the individual ayys who made contact didn't realize it was a school. They knew about earth and its problems but didn't have the details of our political structure or our geography, and didn't care about whatever deal had been made with earth's governments. So a bunch of their hippie types or dissenters were like "gently caress it, we need to warn these people," jacked a few Humvee birds, and chose a more or less random spot in unmonitored airspace near the Indian Ocean. Presumably they got chewed out for it because it hasn't repeated

One of my favorite UFO genres is "UFO tech breaks" and my read is that whatever they do for the camouflage failed and the "you're ruining the planet" song and dance is what they go with when they're spotted and didn't want to be.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

also any chance you're in the North East US? Because I definitely recommend the tapes to my wife's cousin over the holidays and he's a neuropsychology grad student.

ya i am but i heard about them on this thread

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Petey posted:

ya i am but i heard about them on this thread

well if he's a yoked dude named Ryan tell him hi

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Theotus posted:

What if Three Body Problem had it right and it's all just a bunch of civilizations hiding and immediately destroying each other?

They are already, through infiltrators at the head of old companies!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Al! posted:

uri geller, the spoon guy?

someone post Al! up the Uri Geller lays a hex on Putin through a large flat panel monitor vid

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Listened to tasting infinity on the way to my doctor's appointment a few days ago. It is about two hours either way via bus so i needed some way to chill.

I can say at first it mostly altered my color perception. I am only speaking to color perception specifically and nothing else, but it was like that "sharpness" i sometimes get on a lsd come-up before poo poo gets wacky. Like stuff was hi-def, and i felt an emotional connection to my surroundings

Then as i began to properly enter a trance state, i ended up seeing an orb (!!!) Surrounded by squares that were lazily rotating on a center axis

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

Listened to tasting infinity on the way to my doctor's appointment a few days ago. It is about two hours either way via bus so i needed some way to chill.

I can say at first it mostly altered my color perception. I am only speaking to color perception specifically and nothing else, but it was like that "sharpness" i sometimes get on a lsd come-up before poo poo gets wacky. Like stuff was hi-def, and i felt an emotional connection to my surroundings

Then as i began to properly enter a trance state, i ended up seeing an orb (!!!) Surrounded by squares that were lazily rotating on a center axis

ok stop messing with the screen resolution and degauss it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Riot Bimbo posted:

How hard did you ponder said orb? This is important

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I went "oh poo poo that's an orb and way more vivid than my usual CEV capabilities without extensive meditation or drugs" and it was startling enough, i opened my eyes and it was gone

So, i pondered it hard enough it snapped me out of trance

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh gently caress
oh gently caress
the alien wars have begun

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1624128155664658432

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

New Chinese balloon just dropped

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pentagon Downed Object Over Alaska, Official Says https://nyti.ms/3lpHx3i

That is weird. You'd think they'd just say it was a balloon if it was a balloon.

Just lol if our dumb loving politics caused the white house to not want to look weak so they shot down the first unidentified breach of our airspace since the balloon without knowing what it was and got a p'nutty joyriding.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://twitter.com/LtTimMcMillan/status/1624128732980969473
Presser should be coming up shortly

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Slavvy posted:

New Chinese balloon just dropped

lol
e; although likely its a N Korean balloon since Kim was talking about ramping his up

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

D-Pad posted:

Pentagon Downed Object Over Alaska, Official Says https://nyti.ms/3lpHx3i

That is weird. You'd think they'd just say it was a balloon if it was a balloon.

Just lol if our dumb loving politics caused the white house to not want to look weak so they shot down the first unidentified breach of our airspace since the balloon without knowing what it was and got a p'nutty joyriding.

Paywall bypass here: https://archive.is/6ZYLp

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I mean it's pretty easy to identify a balloon especially if it was low enough to be in commercial airspace. This is pretty weird.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Is it finally happening?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is it finally happening?

i loving hope it doesn't start with a scene out of xcom

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the pentagon is using clickbait

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I am eagerly awaiting some random Air Force dude reenacting the picture from the OP and telling us it was all weather balloons Chinese drones.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

quote:

A recovery effort on the debris will be made, Mr. Kirby said. He said the object was “roughly the size of a small car” — much smaller than the spy balloon that had a payload the size of multiple buses.

Uh, didn't Elon loose one of those up there?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Radar, I'm sorry for making jokes on your behalf. I promise I'll be a good human pet so don't nuke my bunghole with the peanutty bunghole ray :pray:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Delta-Wye posted:

the birds :tinfoil:
https://twitter.com/OsintTV/status/1622590458353393665
what did they know, and when did they know it?!?

Bob Socko posted:

Animals have always seemed to have a sixth sense about earthquakes. It's just a thing. :shrug:

this is frustrating because this is one of those things that should have a material explanation but it’s always just kind of stated as magic. how does this work?????

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
listening to this DoD news event they detected it yesterday, sent planes up to check it out, but wont say its a balloon?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Centrist Committee posted:

this is frustrating because this is one of those things that should have a material explanation but it’s always just kind of stated as magic. how does this work?????

its magic

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
also what’s the threads line on heterodox opinion about ai, it really bothers me that once they all started passing the turing test the culture just scrapped the turing test and never bothered to replace it with anything

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

we, uh, shot down some ufos

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

>:-(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we killed killed some xolks

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

my feeling is that humans probably have a similar ability to feel these things that we either ignore/rationalize or that processing all of our thoughts and feelings via language deaden the ability to feel things like these over a lifetime. but that's just a dumb stab in the dark, party talk

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

It's infrasound. We can't hear it but they definitely can. Lots of animals use it to communicate over long distances, tigers have been observed using it to "stun" prey. It happens in the subterranean levels just before quakes and is enough for the animals to hear it and freak out

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

listening to this DoD news event they detected it yesterday, sent planes up to check it out, but wont say its a balloon?

Bexause it was much smaller than the prior balloon and flying at a different altitude. “an unidentified object the size of a car is the best description I have of it” https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/10/us/politics/unidentified-object-shot-down-alaska.html

SpaghettiShaq
Aug 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/shanvav/status/1624135624545427456

its happening

the real aitee

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

The best reason to think it’s not aliens is bc they successfully shot it down

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Birds have magnets in their heads and tectonic plates getting freaky probably messes with them.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Petey posted:

The best reason to think it’s not aliens is bc they successfully shot it down

perhaps it wanted to be shot down :tinfoil:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
interstellar diplomats shot down because americans were all hopped up on chinese balloon fumes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

interstellar diplomats shot down because americans were all hopped up on chinese balloon fumes

honestly funniest possible end of humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

oops