Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The classic monk dip is to go rogue for sneak attack damage. Thaumaturge seems fine though, less damage but always applicable when you can't flank or the creature is immune to precision, and monks have plenty of actions available in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Suzera posted:

You're still probably a demigod since there's not exactly an abundance of level 10-20 people in most settings, and you're still beating up demon generals or really old dragons that are potentially nation or world ending threats in-narrative. There's just not really any scry and fry or punpun level stuff that tends to derail campaigns or the power per level math. The system balance works across all classes all the way up to max level basically. You do get some cool feats like "you're so good at getting into places you can walk between the hairline mortar cracks in a brick wall" though. However you're not, by default, at the power level of directly beating up the Golarion deities themselves by PF2 level 20 in the Golarion setting.

So what you're saying is that the group should be level 30 if they want to kill Nhimbaloth.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

you can get to a solid b tier supporting superhero power level by level 20. you got ice breath or something, can yell really loud, can fly sometimes and always land on your feet.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How redundant is slapping Dragon Disciple on a Dragon Instinct Barb? Scales of the Dragon is nice but everything else either can't be used while raging or duplicated by a Rage feature

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A preview of the Treasure Vault rules for crafting. I don't think it'll be the magic bullet to "fix" crafting based on what the complaints in the thread were earlier, but it definitely tries to address the issue of crafting always taking four days minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-54Xd7JlRVg

I do like the idea of nature based crafting to grow magic items. That's my wife's jam.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

It's a little bit less handwavy now (no more 4 days only), and you can make more choices when crafting, but ultimately I still don't like that crafting an item gives you basically no benefit compared to just buying it. I understand the reasons why, but I think there should be something to gain for all the feats and skills spent on becoming a better crafter.

I think I'll just end up letting my players focus on crafting stuff you can't buy normally by letting them find unique formulas, and give out crafting materials used only for crafting, but worth more than just the equivalent in gold. Maybe throw in a custom magic item that lowers cost and/or time spent or something.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cool Dad posted:

What's the earliest a full caster can get weapon expertise? Is there any way to pick it up before level 11?

Can't think of much outside of warpriest cleric, but that's trading expert weapon in favored weapon at 7 for not getting expert spellcasting until 11 along with the lower spellcasting proficiency cap at 20.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

Lamuella posted:

Player in the game I just started running is a swashbuckler who gets panache through wit. I am going to require him to come up with all the bon mots he uses as he embarrasses enemies to death.

Are you also expecting the Wizard player to actually cast all the spells they're doing? Or the Fighter to physically act out every attack? Because your idea sounds cool in theory, and in practice slows the game down and risks making the player not want to use the ability because of the pressure to come up with a Marvel quip ever turn.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Evilgm posted:

Are you also expecting the Wizard player to actually cast all the spells they're doing? Or the Fighter to physically act out every attack? Because your idea sounds cool in theory, and in practice slows the game down and risks making the player not want to use the ability because of the pressure to come up with a Marvel quip ever turn.

Depends on how much of a hardass they are about it.
If they're at least giving an A for effort, then that would help keep the pressure off and mitigate any slowdown.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Evilgm posted:

"require" is hyperbolic, I suppose. It will be an easier route to hero points.

But I will definitely be requiring the sorcerer to have demonic blood and use it to produce magical effects. Fair's fair.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Evilgm posted:

Yeah, this is a Bad Idea tbh.

The player should probably want to do this (and many do!), and it's cool and fun when the right idea comes to mind and you should encourage that and if they come up with a real good one, give them a hero point, but sometimes you've got nothing and you just wanna throw your D20 and see if you land the will debuff and that ought to be perfectly okay as well.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I should stress these are people I know very well and have gamed with for multiple years. I'm not throwing this on a random table.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Not like calling out Lamuella here or anything, but it did make me think of someone over on reddit who was an introverted, quiet person playing a bard and the GM was giving him all kinds of poo poo for not literally Inspiring his group or even singing and poo poo.

My rule of thumb as a GM is:

You are free to get as far into character as you like as a player. But you're never forced, the mechanics always work RAW. So you can always just do a normal persuade/intimidate/whatever roll, even if you have no idea what you would be saying or what angle you're taking, and you get the opposed roll or level appropriate DC.
Even if you don't want to talk in first person, if you can give me some idea of what angle you're taking, like you know the NPC is vain so appeal to their vanity, they're insecure so lean into that while threatening them, etc... it'll improve the DC a bit. Vice-versa if I know that your character is truly clueless in a scenario, and would have no idea what to do, the DC might be harder than normal even if the player has some meta knowledge.

EDIT: vvv Totally fair. I know I have a hair trigger about that kind of stuff since I've also seen (and also am a) introverted people get put in awkward positions sometimes by GMs being too insistent on certain kinds of role-play. Unless they are discussed ahead of time and expected at the table, of course, which certainly sounds like it is in your case.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 10, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Just to give a touch of broader context for what was an over-flippant comment at the start: the person playing the swashbuckler has been playing ttrpgs with me for three years, and has a history of playing extroverted characters. He's also one of two seasoned players in a table of people who are quite new to roleplaying games. My intention wasn't "I'll force you to come up with Joss Whedon lines and punish you if you don't" but more "I want you to show what playing your character can look like, and reward you if you do". Had he said when we discussed this that he'd prefer not to, I'd have dropped it immediately and he knew this. I expressed it poorly.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

me, for the seventh time this combat, nice breastplate, for a clown to wear, to the circus, idiot

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Except by that point it's gone beyond kind of sad to keep reusing to downright infuriating and that's why it makes the enemy keep getting debuffed, because they're distracted by this smug twit in their face just constantly telling the same joke like it's funny again and again and aaaaagh.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
I like the optional rule in Reign, where you're allowed to give the GM a list of setup lines before the session and they're supposed to do their best to work them into the game so you can bust out your prepared punchline.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So is this Paizo giving permission to share your books through Roll20 or am I reading it wrong? Because if so that's loving cool of them. https://twitter.com/paizo/status/1624146290388144128?t=h1bzWGtyv7vttz_RiAiHTw&s=19

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

I think it's more there's no way to stop it, so why not support it? Roll20 just allows importing of ANY PDF file, and since Paizo (unlike WotC) actually sells PDFs, it's something worth retweeting about.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's a good move. You can share books at a physical table, why not at a digital one as well?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It does mean they're perhaps undercutting roll20 as you can upload the book rather than buying the module, but the modules are already discounted.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lamuella posted:

It does mean they're perhaps undercutting roll20 as you can upload the book rather than buying the module, but the modules are already discounted.

Paizo has generally always offered discounts on buying modules for use on VTTs if you already own the PDF, anyway.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

A preview of the Treasure Vault rules for crafting. I don't think it'll be the magic bullet to "fix" crafting based on what the complaints in the thread were earlier, but it definitely tries to address the issue of crafting always taking four days minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-54Xd7JlRVg

I do like the idea of nature based crafting to grow magic items. That's my wife's jam.

I got my book finally so I can look at the crafting rules. I don't think there's a way to fix crafting for everyone since people have kind of conflicting desires. I do think the new complex rules will make the process a bit more interesting for someone who wants to focus on crafting. You need more downtime, but you're more rewarded for investing and there are more interesting outcomes. I still think if I'm going to make crafting a significant focus I'll run the Battlezoo rules since everyone at the table is involved in crafting then and there's no requirement to adjust your character's build at all to participate. It changes a lot of stuff though so you definitely need buy in by everyone at the table.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lamuella posted:

and also the PDF is not the Module

The PDF doesn't create the maps/journal entries/images/tokens/actors etc into the game.

It just means the players can open and share the PDF. Like one could at a table.

The Modules are things that are fully set up with pretty much everything taken care of Not just buying a PDF.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Im happy to share that Abomination Vaults (Eberron reskin) pf2e was a success in my latam groups. So far I got TWO 5player groups and they are already on lvl 2, I'm more of a "if it dies, it dies" Gm and I made sure of that to my potential players so even tho we had some rips on both groups, they are loving the game and so am I!

I totally recommend using Foundry when playing virtual pf2e and giving the premium modules a try.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

disposablewords posted:

Except by that point it's gone beyond kind of sad to keep reusing to downright infuriating and that's why it makes the enemy keep getting debuffed, because they're distracted by this smug twit in their face just constantly telling the same joke like it's funny again and again and aaaaagh.

This guy gets it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rythian posted:

It's a little bit less handwavy now (no more 4 days only), and you can make more choices when crafting, but ultimately I still don't like that crafting an item gives you basically no benefit compared to just buying it. I understand the reasons why, but I think there should be something to gain for all the feats and skills spent on becoming a better crafter.

I think I'll just end up letting my players focus on crafting stuff you can't buy normally by letting them find unique formulas, and give out crafting materials used only for crafting, but worth more than just the equivalent in gold. Maybe throw in a custom magic item that lowers cost and/or time spent or something.

Yeah, even 10% off would make it seem worthwhile. Maybe even 20%. At that point not too many adventurers are going to retire to become blacksmiths and crash the economy. By the time you have at least Expert in crafting you should be able to make things for a little below full retail price.

Obviously the NPC professional crafters with shops are all making their goods significantly below the retail price they charge, right? They have equipment, contracts with raw material suppliers, unpaid interns and whatnot to help them get economies of scale so it might only cost them 50% of the final price, including labour. If a PC can make the same items for 80% of retail they aren't going to blow up the economy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, even 10% off would make it seem worthwhile. Maybe even 20%. At that point not too many adventurers are going to retire to become blacksmiths and crash the economy. By the time you have at least Expert in crafting you should be able to make things for a little below full retail price.

Obviously the NPC professional crafters with shops are all making their goods significantly below the retail price they charge, right? They have equipment, contracts with raw material suppliers, unpaid interns and whatnot to help them get economies of scale so it might only cost them 50% of the final price, including labour. If a PC can make the same items for 80% of retail they aren't going to blow up the economy.

The new salvaging rules are a pretty good step that is getting overlooked here I think. Tl;dr, if you want to salvage an existing magic item, you can get 75% of its value towards crafting something new, rather than 50% sell price. If you don’t use the whole salvage value, it’s lost, so you need to keep that in mind, but it goes a long way, IMO, towards “crafting is about making sure you can get the specific gear you want, rather than getting more gear.”

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chevy Slyme posted:

The new salvaging rules are a pretty good step that is getting overlooked here I think. Tl;dr, if you want to salvage an existing magic item, you can get 75% of its value towards crafting something new, rather than 50% sell price. If you don’t use the whole salvage value, it’s lost, so you need to keep that in mind, but it goes a long way, IMO, towards “crafting is about making sure you can get the specific gear you want, rather than getting more gear.”

I'm that I've ever sold a magic item.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks to all who responded to my last question. I have another one.

When reading the beginner box, they showed a monster stat block that was two actions that said something to the effect of “you make two claw Strikes and a tail Strike”.

The book said that the second claw strike and tail attack would take the 2 and 3 MAP. I didn’t expect that.

When a stat block says you get to make multiple strikes, do you also apply MAP to any strike at all?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
MAP always applies unless the ability specifically says it doesn't

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Abilities that offer multiple attacks will always specify if there are any special MAP rules

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Gotcha. Thanks!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Most often the other version will be something like: "Make two strikes. These both increase your MAP, but it doesn't apply until your next attack."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It will usually be specified either way but default to standard MAP if it isn't.

An example of one specifying it the way Gwalihir says:

quote:

Double Slice
Source Core Rulebook pg. 144 4.0
Requirements You are wielding two melee weapons, each in a different hand.
You lash out at your foe with both weapons. Make two Strikes, one with each of your two melee weapons, each using your current multiple attack penalty. Both Strikes must have the same target. If the second Strike is made with a weapon that doesn't have the agile trait, it takes a –2 penalty.

If both attacks hit, combine their damage, and then add any other applicable effects from both weapons. You add any precision damage only once, to the attack of your choice. Combine the damage from both Strikes and apply resistances and weaknesses only once. This counts as two attacks when calculating your multiple attack penalty.

And one specifying that it uses standard MAP:

quote:

Flurry Of Blows
Source Core Rulebook pg. 156 4.0
Make two unarmed Strikes. If both hit the same creature, combine their damage for the purpose of resistances and weaknesses. Apply your multiple attack penalty to the Strikes normally. As it has the flourish trait, you can use Flurry of Blows only once per turn.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Ah, ok. I was interpreting the rule wrong and I’m really glad the beginner box GM guide was explicit.

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So a party of four Level 1 Adventurers encounter one single lone Kobold Warrior; defeating it earns them 30 XP each, is that correct?

Just peeking into the encounter building rules to establish a baseline understanding.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
A level -1 creature is 2 levels below a level 1 party (1 - 2 = -1), so is worth 20 XP.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

The Kobold Warrior is -1, so he's 2 levels below your level 1 party. So he's only worth 20xp.

This would make him a Trivial fight (since that's 40xp or less).

If you want a fight with Kobold Warriors to be remotely meaningful for your party of level 1s, you would like 2 for a Trivial threat fight, 3 for a Low threat fight, and 4 for a Moderate threat fight (4x20 = 80xp).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zero is an imaginary number no wonder I forgot about it, thanks.