Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I just got an ad on TikTok a VW dealer in my area specifically saying they have id4s in stock. Slowing demand from fuel cost stabilization and increased interest rates?

Unsold inventory is the normal condition and eventually you figure that things return to normal, plus a (planned) production ramp now meaning that more cars are being produced. And the ID.4 is OK but certainly not the best or most popular of the EVs right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've read a lot of articles that predict we'll never get back to the "hundreds of cars on the lot" stage because it wasn't economical for the dealers, but stock should start climbing drastically this year.

ID.4's seem... fine? If you're in the mid-price-ish crossover EV range (ie. not Audi/BMW/Mercedes), I don't think I'd recommend the ID.4 over the EV6, Ioniq 5, or even the Mach-E.

There's also the Model Y, but I figure if you might want a Tesla, you probably already know you want a Tesla.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

WhiteHowler posted:

I've read a lot of articles that predict we'll never get back to the "hundreds of cars on the lot" stage because it wasn't economical for the dealers, but stock should start climbing drastically this year.

ID.4's seem... fine? If you're in the mid-price-ish crossover EV range (ie. not Audi/BMW/Mercedes), I don't think I'd recommend the ID.4 over the EV6, Ioniq 5, or even the Mach-E.

There's also the Model Y, but I figure if you might want a Tesla, you probably already know you want a Tesla.

The ID.4 is, fine. It will probably do great when a 45 year old middle-school teacher walks into a VW dealership looking to replace their 10 year Jetta and they have a few of them sitting on the lot.

It's a hard sell against the EV6, Ioniq 5 and Mach-E, which made at least some attempt to appear interesting and premium. Interesting and premium doesn't motivate a lot of new car buyers and that is perfectly fine, unless you are trying to sell them an EV Jetta for $45K instead of a $50k Ford Edge Titanium EV.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The ID.4 is waaaay cheaper than the Mach for the same feature set and range, same with the EV6 with how much dealers are marking them up right now. The Ioniq 5 is weird looking and that's gonna turn a lot of people off, why is the Ioniq 5 cheaper than the EV6 anyway?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cruft posted:

I can't find an AI thread on self-driving. I have opinions based on my personal experience but I know it'll drag this thread into another three-page slapfest.

TBH I'm fine with it, it's your EV after all.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Elviscat posted:

The ID.4 is waaaay cheaper than the Mach for the same feature set and range, same with the EV6 with how much dealers are marking them up right now. The Ioniq 5 is weird looking and that's gonna turn a lot of people off, why is the Ioniq 5 cheaper than the EV6 anyway?

Because Kia became "the good one" when the last model was compared to the Kona, so they can cash in on the brand cachet. Turns out people want bigger cars. I want a smaller car that's not a citycar, although long covid is preventing me for driving for more than 30 minutes so maybe I should just get an e-Up.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you can deal with the (lack of) range, the e-Up is pretty cool.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pun pundit posted:

Because Kia became "the good one" when the last model was compared to the Kona, so they can cash in on the brand cachet. Turns out people want bigger cars. I want a smaller car that's not a citycar, although long covid is preventing me for driving for more than 30 minutes so maybe I should just get an e-Up.

Isn’t this the Bolt? Although since you reference the e-Up! you probably can’t get one.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The VW e-up!, Škoda CITIGOe iV and SEAT Mii Electric all have the same problem as the Leaf, there is no liquid cooling for the battery pack (to cut costs).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Elviscat posted:

I'm going to have to admit, I didn't even consider the Ioniq 5 or EV6 because I think both are absolutely hideous, I considered waiting for the Genesis GV60, but avaiablity was and is super sketchy when I was decision making and the pricing was, I mean, within my price range, but I really need to be sold on something amazing about it over the Mach.

The ID.4 is not waaaay cheaper than the Mach for the same feature set and range, the ID.4 configuration options is confusing as all hell, including interior features, I will grant that they are very similar in price apples to apples across all "luxury" aspects, once you really compare them through their confusing as hell trim levels on the ID.4.

The Mach technology is no question significantly better, from driver assist to infotainment, like a lot better, that doesn't matter to a lot (Most?) buyers, I think the ID.4 styling as boring as gently caress, but I acknowledge the Mach is, polarizing to say the least.

I'm going to give it a toss up if you are really comparing apples to apples feature wise and price wise, the ID.4 is more appealing at lower trim levels that just, don't exist on the Mach.

But again, I don't think anyone is really, really cross shopping them and not going to have a very strong opinion either way, I think the Mach-E is probably competing A LOT stronger at the higher end than the ID.4 and not completing at all at the lower end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You don’t think people are cross shopping two mass market EV CUVs?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You don’t think people are cross shopping two mass market EV CUVs?

Sorry, phrased wrong. I think people cross shop them, I think people go in feeling strongly about either car and probably rarely change their mind, absent avaliblity issues.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Argh, one of the parking sensors on my Polestar took a direct hit from a highway stone and now the whole system refuses to work. Since it wouldn’t be a warranty repair it would cost $500+, so I just ordered the part for $80 and will have to figure out how to remove the front bumper cover.

At least it wasn’t one of the body-colored sensors

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Qwijib0 posted:

I think you mean cuter than

Oh, man, I haven't seen a Naga in a while.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Lol Ram sent me an email asking me to pay a $100 “join fee” to join the wait list for pre orders on their ev truck that they’ve given no details about. The bottom of the page says that being on the list doesn’t guarantee you’ll get to pre order. Get hosed Ram

edit: it’s refundable at least

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I still can't help but chuckle whenever I think of that thing and how symbolic a pickup with three-row seating is of the farce that is the full-size truck market.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Lol Ram sent me an email asking me to pay a $100 “join fee” to join the wait list for pre orders on their ev truck that they’ve given no details about. The bottom of the page says that being on the list doesn’t guarantee you’ll get to pre order. Get hosed Ram

edit: it’s refundable at least

that’s what ford did but at least they announced the lighting first!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yeah Chevy did it too, and like ford they at least gave some specs they are aiming for and a base price. The ram rev faq just says all details will be announced later. No Ram I don’t want to give you $100 to put my place in line for a truck with no specs.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

darnon posted:

I still can't help but chuckle whenever I think of that thing and how symbolic a pickup with three-row seating is of the farce that is the full-size truck market.

I wonder how long until we have "trucks" with three-foot beds so you can have a full minivan interior in there.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's gonna be a tahoe with a slot large enough for a single mountain bike.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roadie posted:

I wonder how long until we have "trucks" with three-foot beds so you can have a full minivan interior in there.
I'm confident that they have explored the possibilities of a three-axle extra-long vehicle so you have the luxury interior plus the plywood-sheet-sized truck bed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Roadie posted:

2 year, tops.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nessus posted:

I'm confident that they have explored the possibilities of a three-axle extra-long vehicle so you have the luxury interior plus the plywood-sheet-sized truck bed.

I'm expecting MAN HX10x10 sized trucks to be the equivalent bro-vehicle by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfKU_YyH7Y

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

SlowBloke posted:

I'm expecting MAN HX10x10 sized trucks to be the equivalent bro-vehicle by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfKU_YyH7Y

Close, but it will need huge chrome wheels with tiny rubber band tires on them and it will be lifted at least a meter higher. Like basically imagine a star wars imperial AT-AT walker on rollerskates.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Roadie posted:

My friend, let me introduce you to the all new 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just saw an Ora Cat on the road so the local dealer must have got at least one demo.

Kind of an interesting prospect at the lower end of the market - it's about halfway between an e208/eCorsa and Leaf in size which is quite a nice place to be for a city car

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

My friend, let me introduce you to the all new 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz:

These things are everywhere around me. There are at least 3 at work and I see multiple others around town every day. Are they super cheap or something?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Kind of; $30k-$40k. Although Hyundai only sold like a third as many as Mavericks, yet strangely they sometimes appear to be more common. At least for the 22MY the upper trims were more nicely featured and fairly competitively priced to a loaded AWD EcoBoost Maverick Lariat, but last I looked for '23 they segregated the features upwards even more and they're pushing into $40k territory which is a bit silly for a compact truck-thing.

darnon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 11, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I see a lot of those santa cruzes (cruzii?) around me too (lower mainland BC, Canada). People like little trucklets they can take out to logging trails and throw muddy stuff in the back!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’d love an ev version with a big frunk. Love small little trucklets

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's just a lifted sedan with an open trunk.

Put that thing on normal wheels and it's a Lada.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
That’s why it needs a frunk! Place for clean stuff and place for filthy spider covered stuff.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

That’s why it needs a frunk! Place for clean stuff and place for filthy spider covered stuff.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Average human ejaculatiion = 3.7 mL
Mach e frunk volume = 4.7 cubic feet
4.7 cubic feet = 133089 mL

133089/3.7 = 35,970 loads

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I really like the Santa Cruz but wish it had a hybrid drivetrain as an option.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ford knows their audience

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

Average human ejaculatiion = 3.7 mL
Mach e frunk volume = 4.7 cubic feet
4.7 cubic feet = 133089 mL

133089/3.7 = 35,970 loads

Problems like this would have made math class way more fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Russian Bear posted:

I really like the Santa Cruz but wish it had a hybrid drivetrain as an option.

To me the Santa Cruz is exactly why the modern dual cab is fundamentally poo poo. Too compromised in just about everything its trying to be.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

To me the Santa Cruz is exactly why the modern dual cab is fundamentally poo poo. Too compromised in just about everything its trying to be.

It’s not compromised in the most important category, style and signaling to people how adventurous you are.

But seriously, yeah it’s basically a weird suv thing but at least it’s fun. Granted the Honda Ridgeline is the better choice anyway.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The maverick is a better choice in like every single way, which is borne out by sales numbers: ~5400 mavericks a month vs ~3800 Santa cruzes