Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for doing an Irish exit at a restaurant so I wasn't stuck with the bill?

This doesn't sound like a group of friends having dinner together. Was this a playdate set up by their parents? This guy sounds nonconfrontational and a little fussy, and everyone else seems like a jackass. Hard to imagine their friendship is anything more than momentum at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

This doesn't sound like a group of friends having dinner together. Was this a playdate set up by their parents? This guy sounds nonconfrontational and a little fussy, and everyone else seems like a jackass. Hard to imagine their friendship is anything more than momentum at this point.

What he did doesn't make him an rear end in a top hat but everything he wrote makes him sound completely insufferable.

Oh I forgot it's from Reddit so that goes without saying :doh:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What he did doesn't make him an rear end in a top hat but everything he wrote makes him sound completely insufferable.

There's enough people involved, and enough details there that my only hope is someone recognizes themselves and posts.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If he has to sneak out the bathroom window 45 minutes early rather than deal with it in-person at the table, he's probably not long for that friend group anyway.

And maybe everybody is friends, they're just tactless and myopic about money the way lots of young people are. They'll get a little older and realize they don't really have anything in common anymore.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

atomicdream posted:

The Acid Cat also will leave these assholes on your front porch as a gift, just like a normal cat would gift you a dead pigeon.

Can confirm, this is a service I provide.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Irish Exit is probably a jerk, but right there he did the right thing.

Combo posted:

My kid never got into dinosaurs but he loved the show Octonauts and drat near memorized every episode, so he loves sea creatures and knows a poo poo ton about them.

Ok so are vegemals self aware? Are they slaves? Just what in the gently caress are they?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Ok so are vegemals self aware? Are they slaves? Just what in the gently caress are they?

They're half fish half vegetable! Where did they come from? Are they slaves/do they know they're slaves? I have no idea.

The only two I even know the names of are Tunip (tuna/turnip) and Codish (cod/radish).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Yamchovy is real and my friend.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Pomme de Terror posted:

They ended up each paying their own bill and one guy ended up paying for his, his date's, and her roommate's food. He is especially salty about the situation.
Of course this guy is salty, he had to actually pay for what him and his date ordered rather than suckering other people into paying for his fair share.

Bigger picture, I will never understand why "just split the bill evenly" is a thing. It raises all sorts of potential landmines for basically zero benefit. Unless the restaurant specifically requires that they only do one check (obviously not in this case), it just seems like a bigger pain in the rear end and much more hassle than everybody just handing over their credit cards for their own seats.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MagusofStars posted:

Of course this guy is salty, he had to actually pay for what him and his date ordered rather than suckering other people into paying for his fair share.

Bigger picture, I will never understand why "just split the bill evenly" is a thing. It raises all sorts of potential landmines for basically zero benefit. Unless the restaurant specifically requires that they only do one check (obviously not in this case), it just seems like a bigger pain in the rear end and much more hassle than everybody just handing over their credit cards for their own seats.

Between friends who order roughly roughly the same price range of thing and where the bill is being rounded up to a reasonable service charge splitting the bill evenly is time and hassle saving and establishes a social bond of trust that over time minor variations in who over/underpaid will work themselves out. If someone abuses that then they're not a good friend (and probably never were).

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

MagusofStars posted:

The people that want to split the bill evenly are the people that order the most expensive thing on the menu and then have 5 or 6 cocktails. They just want everyone else to subsidize part of their night out.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

teen witch posted:

I don’t get why anyone would be upset. One of my best friend’s wedding was a few days before mine and a few days after Easter and it loving ruled. You mean I get to party more? And different types of parties? gently caress yeah, toss in a bat mizvah for good measure.

My best friend and I share the same wedding anniversary day (13 May). I had no idea when we picked the day that it was because she basically didn't tell anyone she even GOT MARRIED.

I was pissed but really because she didn't tell me until three years later, shortly before my wedding (she was MOH). Now I can send her anniversary messages without having to worry about remembering the date.

Still hurts a bit that she didn't tell me. I understood her reasoning when she explained, but having known her since we were 6, it still hurt.

All this is to say SIL is a twat and to get over herself.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
The pro move is to do what me and my partner did. Our anniversary is the day before their birthday, which is the day before my birthday. Guaranteed 3 day of celebration/excuses to not have to do anything else. :smug:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pookah posted:

My cousin's kid is a dinosaur boy. He will talk your drat ear off about megalodon, and it is always interesting.

Pffft. Not enough of a dinosaur boy to realize a megalodon isn't a dinosaur. :smuggo:
(I had to fact check a course about dinosaurs. Turns out my favorite dino as a kid wasn't a dinosaur either...)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m not married but my anniversary with my partner is on ascension day which changes every year, but it’s always sometime in mid May AND a day off as a holiday.

Ascension day here is called Kristi himmelsfärd - christs sky journey day. The partner and I call it flygsnde jesus dag - flyin Jesus day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nah the real pro move is to do a mass wedding, that way you have a big group of people to celebrate anniversaries with and also you work and live with them in the same compound, it's win win win!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AcidCat posted:

Can confirm, this is a service I provide.

Happy 17th Regiversary, AcidCat!

:toot:

Edit: right, 17th

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 10, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

There are multiple books and tv episodes covering this very topic. They were found attached as eggs to the outside of the Octopod by Shellington who once they hatched went on a mildly wacky quest to identify their habitat. After accidentally being separated in a kelp forest, the Vegemals realized their perfect habitat was the Octopod and asked to stay there permanently, and that was the end of Shellington's investigation into the greatest scientific discovery of his lifetime because he is a useless git.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The real easy option is getting you a partner who's birthday is Valentine's Day.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The real easy option is getting you a partner who's birthday is Valentine's Day.

Oh hey, I'm that partner :v:

...except for the whole chronically single thing, of course

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barudak posted:

Shellington...is a useless git.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I wish Barnacle would tell him to shut up once in awhile.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I wish Barnacle would tell him to shut up once in awhile.

When a rich doddering failson who plays D&D all day is a more useful member of the crew, you should re-evaluate your life.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God I had a friend who always wanted to split the bill evenly because it's "just easier" and of course he was the guy who got like 3 cocktails and a 3 course dinner while everyone else had a single entree and maybe not even a single drink. We're in Canada though and servers split bills nearly instantly and easily for people so it wasn't even "just easier".

It's always the person who wants everyone else to subsidize him who is the biggest even-split proponent.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember the time I went with a new friend tk a dinner with their friend group and a split bill and people abusing that led to an implosion of that group which was a great first impression.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Oh hey, I'm that partner :v:

...except for the whole chronically single thing, of course

Mine's the 19th and I always felt bad for my partners in the past that it was so close together.

This year I just asked my husband to give me a dollar limit and I'd buy my own birthday gifts and he could just focus on whatever he wanted for Valentine's Day.

He got me some lovely books and hoodie for my birthday. It's so awesome he knows just what books I wanted!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm mildly disappointed we didn't find anything 1984 related for yesterdays page.

AITA for "stealing" my sisters baby?

quote:

My (F29) little sister (F21 we'll call her Jane) has a 14-month baby girl (we'll call her Sara) whom I have had custody of since late June of 2022. Jane was divorcing her husband, jobless, and homeless. I offered to take temporary guardianship of Sara so she would be safe and cared for while Jane got her life together. At first, she turned me down. However, after Sara was dropped off to our moms house in dirty clothes and an old diaper by a stranger, while she was supposed to be under the care of her father, Jane agreed to give her to me and my wife.

Now we made clear that it would be temporary and that Jane would still have full access and could get Sara back whenever she felt ready. However, during the last 6 months, Jane has completely disappeared from Sara's life. She doesn't ask about her, she doesn't make any effort to visit her. She doesn't ask us to bring her to visit. She has gotten a job and a(n unsafe) place to stay, yet hasn't offered to take any financial responsibility, not even in the form of buying her gifts. She doesn't call to talk to her or see her.

I spoke to Jane recently about all this, and her defense is that it's too emotionally hurtful to see Sara because of how much it hurts and how much she misses her. Her other excuse is that she doesn't have a car or enough money to buy Uber's or diapers. I told her how absolutely ridiculous all that is. You don't need a car or money to call or text. We have always made clear we'd be willing to bring Sara to her, and she spends a wasteful amount of money on food and vapes. Even after speaking to her about the things she should or could be doing, she still has made no changes. Because of this, my wife and I have decided to look into our legal options for adoption. Sara has legally been abandoned, and we only need to keep her a little longer before the courts would allow termination of Jane and her husbands rights (husband is even more MIA than Jane is). Jane is livid about this and is threatening all kinds of things (but has done nothing).

Important information; after I offered origonally and before we actually got physical custody of Sara, my wife and I attempted IVF and failed. We hadn't told anyone about this, even family. However, I told Jane about this on day one just so that there would be full honesty and so that none of this would seem sneaky if it were to come out later. Jane is bringing this up in a very hurtful way during all this saying that I am trying to steal her baby since we can't have one of our own (we have one adopted son already). This is very far from the truth, we are genuinly worried about the safety and well being of Sara if she were to go back to Jane, and the fact that Jane has essentially ghosted her baby, we feel we have every right to pursue permanant gaurdinship and adoption. So, AITA?

Edit 1: As several people have asked, why don't I take in my sister too?

I don't have space or money for an adult. Sara has a bed in our room, and we spend about $700 a month on her. There is no way we could cover an adult, too.

And even if we could, she is not someone I would live with. She is a very unclean person (doesn't shower or wash her clothes) and hangs out with junkies and other questionable people. She lost her last living situation because her roommate was arrested for possession of meth in the home. My wife and I have a 7 year old son, and now Sara, to protect.

Edit 2: In regards to the $700 a month, that is an average. She came to us with nothing. We had to buy clothes, bottles, formula, a bed, a car seat, a stroller, etc. Now that a lot of the big stuff is out of the way, it's not so bad, but babies/kids are expensive. She's growing fast, so clothes are a constant as well as dapers, wipes, and medical care. Additionally, I'm including all the legal fees we've paid. We count everything because we're keeping all receipts as part of proof of Jane's abandonment of Sara. My state calculates the financial side of abandonment as a certain percentage of total expenses.

Edit 3; and this may come off a little aggressive, I certainly don't mean it to be. At what point is "reunification" just a nice way to say "ripped away from the only family/home she's ever known"? It's a sweet sentiment and all, but Jane is a stranger to Sara, and she is making no effort to change that. Years from now, when Jane finally gets it together, we're supposed to just give Sara up? Even if we did a slow integration, how could that possibly be less traumatic than staying in her home with her family? If she was a little older and knew what was going on and could remember her mom despite being no contact for 6 months, that would be one thing. But she's an infant that has bonded to us the way infants are supposed to bond with their family in order to have secure attachments now and later in life.

I truly, truly love my sister, and I really want her to straighten up and live a happy, healthy life. But the decisions she has made over the last 6 months are not ones that can be taken back. When Jane gets it together, I will be happy to let them have whatever relationship Sara chooses to have with her, but it's not going to be a given that Jane will get her back.

Final edit; as I have my answer. I do just want to make clear, as a lot of people seem to be focusing on the wrong thing here; the issue is not that Jane hasn't been able to get her life together in only 6 months. She has been through hell and back, and I'm very sympathetic to that, I understand it takes time, sometimes even years to fix.

The issue is that she has completely stepped out of Sara's life. She has ghosted her, she has given up all responsibility and contact, and she is a stranger to Sara. Sara doesn't even recognize Jane in any way. The issue I am talking about with Jane and why I feel we should pursue adoption is because of the utter abandonment Jane has shown over the last six months.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for “causing a scene” when my son’s teacher wouldn’t stay an extra 5-10 minutes this afternoon to help him format his assignment?

quote:

So before I even get into this I want to say I’m a huge advocate of unions, public workers and especially teachers. I appreciate how hard they work for very little pay. To me the world will be a just place when teachers make more than sports stars.

My son is really struggling with 4th grade as this teacher is requiring them to use google docs and they are not intuitive at all for my son. His teacher claims to have an “open door” policy so I said we would go to his classroom today and meet with her. I got there at 4:05 (classes end at 3:30) to find her on her way to her car. I asked her if she’d be willing to give us 10 minutes to go over google docs with him. She said she was really sorry but her contract hours were over. I said if would just be 10 minutes. She said again she has a new policy that she’s not working past contract hours. I told her I know she sends emails to her favorites at like 10pm and she was making and my son feel not very appreciated. She basically just turned around and walked to her car. The mama bear in me was fuming at first her not willing to take 10 minutes, secondly lying to me, thirdly snowing clear favoritism and lastly turning her back on me. I yelled at her that she was crazy if she thought this wouldn’t go on her review and that didn’t deter her either.

My sister had come with me and she “ordered” me into the car through gritted teeth and said “you made a total rear end of yourself and caused a huge scene.” When I tried to explain she said I embarrassed her and my son and she didn’t want to have dinner with us and was silent on the way home.

Since my sister did a great job of making me feel bad, I need some reassurance. AITA?

the mama bear in me just started screaming at someone in the parking lot

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AITA for drawing dick graffiti around a pothole.

quote:

My mom lives in our old house and since my father passed away she expects me to help her take care of it. Not a problem. I have a great job and they paid for my education. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be where I am. But I am not a handy person. What I have is a group of friends who include several useful trades. For example my best friend is an electrician and she is married to a plumber.

In return for my friends help I do a fair bit of professional work for them.

However some stuff isn't in their scope.

There was a pothole in the road in front of my mom's house and she couldn't get the city to fix it. I tried explaining that the city has lots of potholes to deal with and that I'm not Ron Swanson. She said my father had fixed a pothole before. I tried hiring a contractor to fix it but they can't do private work on public property.

Then I remembered a news article I read about some town in England where a guy went around drawing dicks in potholes.

My father a a lot of spray paint in the garage so I grabbed some and went out and drew a masterpiece. Very veiny and everything.

It made the local news. The city fixed it within a week.

My mom was mortified. She said that I am an immature criminal and that she is embarrassed to think her child would do such a thing. My sister called me up from her house to tell me off as well. Then texted me thank you because she was tired of hearing about the pothole too.

So my mom is upset with me for not handling it in a mature and responsible way. I'm not a pothole guy. I tried dealing with the city and I tried paying for it to get fixed. I just wanted to stop hearing about it. I think she should be happy the pothole is fixed.

AITA for using the prudes in my city to get expedited public works attention?

This is the "Dick is Pothole and Cheap" you all keep talking about, right?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for “causing a scene” when my son’s teacher wouldn’t stay an extra 5-10 minutes this afternoon to help him format his assignment?

how dare this teacher not be at my beck and call whenever I demand it. (seriously, not even a courtesy email of "hey can I come by with [kiddo]?"?!?!?)

also, this person can use reddit but can't teach their kid to click around google docs, huh

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm mildly disappointed we didn't find anything 1984 related for yesterdays page.

OP should stop bringing it up with their sister for another year or so. It’s not like she’s going to suddenly re-materialize. If she’s still living with and hanging out with junkies then she’s still using and probably isn’t going to stop long enough to get custody from the court. The kid can probably stay with them almost indefinitely.

Foo Diddley posted:

I hope this op gets run over by a school bus.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hawkperson posted:

how dare this teacher not be at my beck and call whenever I demand it. (seriously, not even a courtesy email of "hey can I come by with [kiddo]?"?!?!?)

also, this person can use reddit but can't teach their kid to click around google docs, huh

quote:

YTA This is after hours for them and if you actually had an ounce of understanding like you proclaimed you would understand why YTA. Also this is in your power to resolve, have you tried googling it so you could help your child?

OP posted:

He throws horrible tantrums when I try to help him with school work.

quote:

If you go and look in a mirror you will see who he gets it from

OP posted:

He gets it from his father

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

What is a 'wasteful' amount to spend on food? People need food, right?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

What is a 'wasteful' amount to spend on food? People need food, right?

"Why are you wasting money on uber eats and fast food and premade things? You should be going to the grocery store via bus or car, coming back, spending an hour or two making food, all while having an exhausting job that keeps you on your feet all day and jerks you around with sporadic hours!'

Is what I'm guessing. Also holy hell she lost her kid, her husband, and her support system. No kidding she's self medicating with vapes, tobacco or otherwise.

Also 30 bucks around here gets a large pizza and a liter of soda. Maybe it's more or less for her, depending.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Quackles posted:

AITA for drawing dick graffiti around a pothole.

quote:

My sister called me up from her house to tell me off as well. Then texted me thank you because she was tired of hearing about the pothole too.

lol I absolutely love this, the performative anger (I assume the sister called from the mother's house so she would see) and the immediate "but for real thank you for doing that." text

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Foo Diddley posted:

probably fake tho lol

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Educators have a hard labour intensive and taxing job. Elementary school teachers especially. (Also assuming this is in America and a public school, then all of that work and stress is added to underfunding and weird arse political poo poo.)

Showing up after school, after working hours with no warning, then demanding that the already overworked teacher do some extra remedial work, (work that you yourself could do in 10-15 minutes) is an arsehole move already. Let alone getting screaming mad and cause a big enough of a scene that I need to be dragged away.

Also, sister has a great point. By yelling at the teacher "You send emails to other kids, why can't you help mine?" not only embarrassed her son, it modelled the "if things dont go your way chuck a tantrum" attitude that the mum is refusing to deal with, (why she can't/wont even bother to try and teach him), and it made sure that the teacher will remember the kid and possibly not in a good way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't it a union thing to forbid workers from doing overtime? Because if you don't you end up with a culture of overextension throughout the system

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Pomme de Terror posted:

or you could have just said something to the group like a normal adult

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Huggybear posted:

or you could have just said something to the group like a normal adult

for real idgi, why not say to the group "I'm leaving now and will be paying for my share at the front counter", why did this have to be done covertly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

haveblue posted:

Isn't it a union thing to forbid workers from doing overtime? Because if you don't you end up with a culture of overextension throughout the system

The teacher is quoted as saying "my contract hours", so presumably she stops getting paid at a specific point in time. I'd be out too.