Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Okay, I'll look into it. What are the good brands? I found MillerCat.

if you're super worried about it, use tamper-resistant nuts/bolts. they take a special type of socket to loosen, and it would be highly unlikely for a thief to have it, while you would be able to provide it to anyone servicing your vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Some rear end in a top hat stole the catalytic converter out of my girlfriend's Prius. Insurance is going to cover it this time. We don't know what we're going to do if this happens again. Apparently this is a common occurrence where she lives.

(1) She's looking at these car alarms that you strap to the pipe leading to the converter, as well as these metal shields that also specifically protect this part. Does any of this poo poo work?

(2) the shop she towed the car to doesn't seem to like working with insurance companies. They're complaining that they're going to have to take the car to another shop to weld the part on and that there's a bunch of confusion. This is weird because they were told what the problem was before the car arrived. I'm wondering if they're trying to pressure her into paying with cash, or something else shady is going on. She lives in another city and I've never met or spoken to this guy and amm relying on her account. Should my gf get the car towed to a dealership?

I just went through this with my Prius. Ended up having my insurance company total the car since I couldn’t even find anyone to give me a new cat converter in any time frame other than “at least 6 months from now” and I’m in California so aftermarket cats aren’t even legal.

Any shops here will deal with insurance but if they don’t just make sure they give you a quote for the work before you take a check from your insurance company so you don’t end up getting gouged.

Happened to a neighbor as well - the prevailing wisdom here is even the best/biggest shields aren’t a complete deterrent but they will slow people down and speed is what matters most to the thiefs. poo poo sucks sorry you have to deal with this.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
2000 Honda CR-V EX with tha big 2.0L I4 B20Z2

I got a weird fuckin' issue; I had my B1S1 sensor die on me a few weeks back (oil intrusion, I left the cap off like an idiot; verified dead with my Blue driver), replaced it, and things generally run fine.

However, if I idle the thing on cold startup it will throw a P0132 (B1S1 High Voltage) after about a minute; but, if I begin driving immediately, it won't throw the code and goes quite normally into closed loop for the entire drive.

Live data shows the sensor pegged at 1.275v all the way until the code trips (and maintains 1.275v). When it does trip, I can simply clear it, there's an extremely minor blip as the ECU enters closed loop, B1S1 voltage starts fluctuating normally along with STFT, and it's fine until the next time I don't get a move on within a minute of the next cold start.

I've checked the wiring and plug, both good, cleaned the plug with electronics cleaner and packed with dielectric. MAP sensor also checks out. Fuel trims are normal so I don't suspect a fuel delivery issue. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the IACV is going out? I'm somewhat disinclined to think so as the idle is rock steady.

Did I just happen to win the poo poo lottery and get a flaky Denso? What am I missing here?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Check the heater wires on the sensor harness, maybe?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wonderllama posted:

if you're super worried about it, use tamper-resistant nuts/bolts. they take a special type of socket to loosen, and it would be highly unlikely for a thief to have it, while you would be able to provide it to anyone servicing your vehicle.

vw triple square

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
My 2012 Highlander steering wheel or power steering is making a noise whenever I turn the wheel in a wide turn. It’s very subtle and steering works as normal otherwise. Difficult to describe but sounds like a spring/winding noise around the steering column area. Any idea on what that might be and what repair might entail?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

There's leather repair kits for this sorta stuff. it hasn't pulled apart yet so you don't need a patch behind it.
also condition the gently caress outta the leather. It probably has never been.

The leather is still very pliable and soft (someone I gave a ride to said it was like butter), so either it's been conditioned, or in a time capsule.

But I do plan to get a conditioning kit. The car is in amazing shape, I'd like to keep it that way. It did smell strongly of leather when I got it, FWIW, so I'm wondering if the dealer conditioned it.. Or just turned on the Armor All fogger :fuckoff: only the front seat headrest leather seems a little stiff.

Won't lie, I'm tempted to just pay someone to detail the hell out of it. It's pretty clean, but black paint, swirl marks, etc. If it was any other color, I'd tackle it myself. Water still beads up on it, so it's got at least some wax on it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Quick Repair Question -

We live on the border of Portland and Gresham, in Oregon.

Our main family car is a '13 Hyundai Tucson. Recently, my father was parked in a Target and got hit while he was in the store. Stupidly, he did not call the insurance company or non-emergency help line, meaning the loving cameras covering the parking lot were never examined to find the fucker, but that's irrelevant.

Half of the rear bumper is hanging off a couple inches. It's still drivable, and all the lights work without cracks.

We took it to the dealership that handles our maintenance, and they said they believe a panel might need to be replaced. They told us it would have to be handled by their Collision Shop, which is all the way in loving Vancouver. After examining their website, they look almost exclusively like a shop that works with insurance claims.

Before I book an appointment with a shop that is literally in a different state, I was wondering if there are better options closer to home. I've never had to do an auto body repair in twenty-five years of driving, so these types of shops are new to me and I'm not sure what are the common pitfalls.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Captain Log posted:

Quick Repair Question -

We live on the border of Portland and Gresham, in Oregon.

Our main family car is a '13 Hyundai Tucson. Recently, my father was parked in a Target and got hit while he was in the store. Stupidly, he did not call the insurance company or non-emergency help line, meaning the loving cameras covering the parking lot were never examined to find the fucker, but that's irrelevant.

Half of the rear bumper is hanging off a couple inches. It's still drivable, and all the lights work without cracks.

We took it to the dealership that handles our maintenance, and they said they believe a panel might need to be replaced. They told us it would have to be handled by their Collision Shop, which is all the way in loving Vancouver. After examining their website, they look almost exclusively like a shop that works with insurance claims.

Before I book an appointment with a shop that is literally in a different state, I was wondering if there are better options closer to home. I've never had to do an auto body repair in twenty-five years of driving, so these types of shops are new to me and I'm not sure what are the common pitfalls.

What sort of resolution are you looking for?

Do you want it repaired to like new condition or are you looking for something good enough?

A collision shop is going to be expensive and you may decide fixing it that way isn’t worth it.

Cash pay or going through insurance?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

skipdogg posted:

What sort of resolution are you looking for?

Do you want it repaired to like new condition or are you looking for something good enough?

A collision shop is going to be expensive and you may decide fixing it that way isn’t worth it.

Cash pay or going through insurance?

He’s gonna be cash pay I think. If you want to be detailed about it you can get a quote from Vancouver place and local shops. At end of the day it’s just a Hyundai with a smashed bumper, there should be a shop not far from your house that can handle it fine if distance from your home and time is a priority. It will also likely be cheaper. Quality, eh corner shops that achieve quality body work are rare but most cars on the road are dilapidated beaters people want to spend the bare minimum on so it doesn’t matter. Corner shops will also need to hire out paint work because most can’t afford a paint booth on their property.

e: oh also OP if you didn’t realize, you can call insurance a while after a collision and still be covered per your policy. That is, if this collision type is covered for you, which varies by your coverage choices and state. Often a fender bender resulting in a cracked bumper cover are right under the line for if I want to go thru insurance or not. Your premium increase (depends on state) may cost more than your post deductible check anyway.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 10, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I believe the insurance deductible would be in the $500 neighborhood, plus whatever premium increase we get knocked on.

We are certainly not worried about it being perfect. We just want it to be safe. We worry that it could get worse, or even get caught in the rear wheel while driving. (Which I find unlikely, but who knows.)

You’re right, I should go about getting quotes. It’s just hard when Pops works 40 hours on a 2-11 shift to get it back and forth from places.

I’m mostly asking if a non-dealer is a pitfall or not. To us, it doesn’t look that bad. Just like some connectors got broken.

I’ll grab some pics when I head out on errand later, I need to put gas in that car anyways.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You should probably take it to a legitimate body shop but there is very little difference between a dealer and non-dealer body shop. It should cost ballpark a bit under 500 bucks for a new cover painted to a decent standard, assuming that is all that is wrong with it.

You don't need to take the car in to places to get an estimate, this is 2023 - for something that light you can just call and say you need a new cover and if they want to look at it you can send pictures.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Alright, I got some pictures that are also being sent to various auto-shops. It looks a thousand times worse than it is. The car has gone on the interstate almost daily, has all lights functioning, and nothing has fallen off.

If y'all think this is dealership worthy, that's where I'll probably go. But I really don't see the whole, "We need to replace all the panels" comment from the dealership. We don't need it perfect, just not falling apart.

Thanks again for all the help across various threads, car goons. You've made me a smarter car owner.

Photo Dump Incoming -

All while sat in a loving Target parking lot. I'd pay so much to see who did it, if nothing else to see how they managed to slam into the car so loving hard.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Yeah, IMHO, that's not unsafe at all and is just cosmetic.

I'd try to fix it myself, if you can live with the paint scratches and the likelihood of panel gap asymmetry.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that looks like just needing a bunch of screws, plastic clips and maybe those black underpanel thingies (maybe the "side retainers #8" below?)

https://hyundai.oempartsonline.com/v-2013-hyundai-tucson--gls--2-4l-l4-gas/body--bumper-and-components-rear

a good body shop can make quick work of reattaching that, just yelp for locals

OH, i now see the silver bit hanging on there that looks like it's torn off.....that is definitely from the bumper cover not sure if they can plasti-weld that poo poo or something.......or if they have to replace the entire cover. That's way over $1k including paint I'd guess.

definitely looks like a some SUV backed up into it

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 10, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Unfortunately, I have mobility issues related to pretty severe nerve damage in my legs, so fixing anything below waist height isn't happening. Otherwise, I'd already be trying to jank the loving thing back together.

I just sent off pictures to the Hyundai body people through their estimate program, so I'm going to use their probably inflated to high-hell quote at a ceiling for what to expect. Then I'll shop around locally.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I presume the red is a reflector and not a light. But probably upper and lower, upper needs painted, $800?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I think you (or a shade tree body person) can remove the bumper and reinstall it with zip ties and whatnot fairly easily. If I wasn’t knee deep in renovations and whatnot before a move deadline I’d help, we’re basically neighbors.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Captain Log posted:

Unfortunately, I have mobility issues related to pretty severe nerve damage in my legs, so fixing anything below waist height isn't happening. Otherwise, I'd already be trying to jank the loving thing back together.

I just sent off pictures to the Hyundai body people through their estimate program, so I'm going to use their probably inflated to high-hell quote at a ceiling for what to expect. Then I'll shop around locally.

Ah ok, sorry to hear that. Try to find a paintless dent removal guy nearby. It will be almost certainly be cheaper if money is a concern, if not go through insurance and let the dealer/collision center replace your bumper and charge for paint + blend. It’s really your choice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I did a similar repair using a small drill bit and about four zip ties to stitch it together. It was super gross looking but the car was black and mostly invisible from 30', and held for four years without issue before I sold it. Maybe they sell gray zip ties, or you can hit the black ones with a silver paint/ silver sharpie when you're done to camouflage them

There's a good chance you just need to replace some break away tabs/clips but I have zero experience with that

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To have it look GOOD, you're looking at a new bumper cover + whatever is damaged behind it, and it looks like that lower trim may need replacing too. There MIGHT be minor sheet metal damage; that tail light gap looks kinda weird between the hatch and outer lamp. That's something that should be pretty cheap to pull out if it is pushed in though.

In some states, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will cover this as a hit and run, and doesn't affect rates nearly as much as a collision claim. I probably wouldn't take it up on the highway (it might actually get ripped off at highway speeds), but around town it should be fine.

Also, you'd be surprised how much damage a <5 MPH hit can cause. That's probably someone that was wondering why their car quit moving, so they gave it more gas, then heard CRUNCH and "oh... well I'm sure that was nothing" and took off.

I don't like to involve insurance, but that can easily be $2k to fix. Or it might be $1k. Nobody will know until it's torn apart. The bumper cover is most likely garbage though - that + paint will be the expensive bits. I'd get it to a chain body shop (Caliber, etc) and have them look at it; they're in-network for most insurance companies, and at least speaking for Caliber, they generally do passable work with decent cash prices.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 11, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Back in April soe guy rear ended me in my tacoma. We were in stop and go traffic and he probably hit me at whatever the metric equivalent of 5mph is.

It was like 2100 bucks to replace the trailer hitch and some plastic trim thing.

Shits usually more expensive for stuff like this in Canada, but like STR was saying, these days even a minor hit can cost a few thousand.

If you don't care then thats one thing, but Silver vehicles can be hard to colour match too, adding cost to the repair job.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god, silver.

Yeah, my last repair job was on a silver car. The new fender looked like a goddamned bass boat when they were finished with it, SO MUCH METAL FLAKE! And laid down in a different direction (to be fair, most people won't notice the direction unless you're wearing polarized sunglasses). Silver is drat near impossible to blend too.

Bright red and pearl white are also difficult ones. SO's Matrix (candy apple red) had a partial repaint after it got sandwiched in a pileup some 10 years ago, and my god it's stupid obvious which part was repainted now that it's aged a bit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 11, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
You are all too kind and helpful! It's very appreciated.

Seeing as how the prognosis from the forums ranges from "Cheap At-Home Fix" to "Possibly Multiple Grand", I'm going to be waiting to see what the dealership says and jumping off from there.

The car is otherwise in great shape with very low mileage, so I'm not wanting it to look like a complete piece of poo poo held together with visible tape and ties. But I also don't give a gently caress if the bumper is the wrong color.

I'm just dumbfounded at the utter lovely-ness of a person to do that and drive off. I couldn't sleep if I did that to someone.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Captain Log posted:

You are all too kind and helpful! It's very appreciated.

Seeing as how the prognosis from the forums ranges from "Cheap At-Home Fix" to "Possibly Multiple Grand", I'm going to be waiting to see what the dealership says and jumping off from there.

The car is otherwise in great shape with very low mileage, so I'm not wanting it to look like a complete piece of poo poo held together with visible tape and ties. But I also don't give a gently caress if the bumper is the wrong color.

I'm just dumbfounded at the utter lovely-ness of a person to do that and drive off. I couldn't sleep if I did that to someone.

Not a dig at you in any way — IMO the primary reason for the variation in goon photo based repair estimate was your unique preference on that bit lol.

“I'm not wanting it to look like a complete piece of poo poo held together with visible tape and ties. But I also don't give a gently caress if the bumper is the wrong color.”

For most consumers, those things would be probably be mostly good repair vs. zip tie and mismatched color. But for you, you are ok with mismatched color but not the zip tie in the example lol so the pricing is gonna be a bit wacky depending on what you want. It’s gonna be priced on how nice you want it buttoned up, most any body shop near a USA/Canada city will produce a painted bumper cover close enough from a distance that 99% of consumers will not notice it was repaired. Nothing to worry about no matter what you choose really!

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 11, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Log posted:

Happened to my GF tonight, in stop and go traffic. Guy actually had the balls to get out and berate her for "being a loving woman driver" and "not owning her fuckups", "driving without her husband", "why the gently caress would you slam on the brakes and throw it in reverse", "my dashcam caught all of it, I'll see you in court!", etc then took off. Dude rearended a stopped vehicle in rush hour traffic. How the gently caress is that her fault, and on what planet would gender have anything to do with him hitting someone? If he really has a dashcam, it'll show him driving off without exchanging information.

Yeah, I made sure she filed a police report, and with the license plate I was able to get the year/make/model (I was close from the photos - thought it was a 20-22 Nissan Rogue, it was a 19 Rogue). GF says her car is fine, but the panel gaps and wrinkled floor in the cargo area say otherwise. I'm gonna try to take it to a body shop sometime in the next few days and get quotes, but I'm not hopeful that it'll be repairable - there's interior body panels that have popped out of place, the tailgate doesn't open/close easily anymore.. it's not my decision on the car, but the car is on my insurance - and I know if something happens in the future, they're going to spot the damage that occurred tonight and say "hey, that's pre-existing..."

Don't ever underestimate the power of a Chad or Karen, where they can do no wrong.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 11, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

STR posted:

Happened to my GF tonight, in stop and go traffic. Guy actually had the balls to get out and berate her for "being a loving woman driver" and "not owning her fuckups", "driving without her husband", "why the gently caress would you slam on the brakes and throw it in reverse", "my dashcam caught all of it, I'll see you in court!", etc then took off. Dude rearended a stopped vehicle in rush hour traffic. How the gently caress is that her fault, and on what planet would gender have anything to do with him hitting someone? If he really has a dashcam, it'll show him driving off without exchanging information.

Yeah, I made sure she filed a police report, and with the license plate I was able to get the year/make/model (I was close from the photos - thought it was a 20-22 Nissan Rogue, it was a 19 Rogue). GF says her car is fine, but the panel gaps and wrinkled floor in the cargo area say otherwise. I'm gonna try to take it to a body shop sometime in the next few days and get quotes, but I'm not hopeful that it'll be repairable - there's interior body panels that have popped out of place, the tailgate doesn't open/close easily anymore.. it's not my decision on the car, but the car is on my insurance - and I know if something happens in the future, they're going to spot the damage that occurred tonight and say "hey, that's pre-existing..."

Don't ever underestimate the power of a Chad or Karen, where they can do no wrong.

I'm sorry she had to go through that. A person acting that way can be straight up traumatizing, especially when adrenaline is already pumping from an accident. It's loving scary how absolutely psychotic even a low speed car accident can turn a seemingly normal person.

I hope you get to nail that person to a board with your insurance company. They deserve it for spewing such foul poo poo.

I still cannot comprehend my father not filing a police report, especially in a parking lot with camera coverage. But he is in his sixties, and pretty inept at dealing with stressful situations due to some disorders. I'd have zero issue going through insurance if there was film and/or a police report detailing it as not being his fault.

Still might use the insurance if it looks like $500 will get it properly repaired without loving our low premium. (The two of us are covered in both cars for about $800 every six months.)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Captain Log posted:

If that's all you really care about, take it to a reputable local body shop have them replace whatever is broken, paint the new/used bumper cover and call it a day. "Blending" the paint so it all matches is time consuming and thus expensive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

If that's all you really care about, take it to a reputable local body shop have them replace whatever is broken, paint the new/used bumper cover and call it a day. "Blending" the paint so it all matches is time consuming and thus expensive.

Plus, it's a 10 year old car. I doubt the plastic cover and metal panels matched all that well by this point in time unless the car rarely sees sun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

You're pretty much where I've settled. Now it's just finding a good place.

Any good SE Portland recommendations?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Plus, it's a 10 year old car. I doubt the plastic cover and metal panels matched all that well by this point in time unless the car rarely sees sun.

It stays covers, but not in a full garage. It looked good for ten years, but Pops has managed to scrape it into a couple inanimate objects in the past few years. It's not age, he has always been rough on cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not saying it's because the car isn't taken care of, but the material properties of paints differ when they're applied to sheet metal vs plastic and they fade differently even assuming no other damages and things like that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not saying it's because the car isn't taken care of, but the material properties of paints differ when they're applied to sheet metal vs plastic and they fade differently even assuming no other damages and things like that.

:respek: I gotcha.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If the scrapes bother you at all ask the body shop to quote doing just the bumper and bumper + scrapes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just noticed this today on the car, how do I fix this? I looked in the inside of the door to see if it would tell what exactly the lot or color of the car was, my nissan did, but this Jetta doesn't have that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just noticed this today on the car, how do I fix this? I looked in the inside of the door to see if it would tell what exactly the lot or color of the car was, my nissan did, but this Jetta doesn't have that.

Those gouges are too deep for paint. You may be looking at some Bondo. As for the paint color code, don't VWs have it on a sticker next to the spare tire?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Those gouges are too deep for paint. You may be looking at some Bondo. As for the paint color code, don't VWs have it on a sticker next to the spare tire?

So bondo, dry, paint code color, dry, clear coat, dry?

Looking online for the color code is annoying. Rockauto has a touch up, but it doesn't match the color online, and another place the name is completely different and also the wrong red. I'm pretty sure this is Cardinal Red Metallic

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are you aware these marks are 100% touch up paint pen territory? It won't be incredible, and will be easily observable as a repaired scratch, but is commonly done for this type of scratch. The other more intensive options are available.

For PART of the mark, if you care at all about this detail, a detail shop / body shop may offer to "cut and buff" the parts which are NOT deep into the paint, which may slightly or significantly make the mark better. This usually runs about $50, and results are not guaranteed. I have taken my cars to have marks cut and buffed probably 5 times, it's worked well almost every time but again depends on the exact mark. And you have to have an understanding with the shop guys that results are not guaranteed.

I have good stories for some of this stuff that I never tell a soul in real life because nobody I know cares about cars. But I had this one mark that I thought for sure would need a panel repaint.

I search google far and wide in my large city for the Right Shop to take this to. I call a handful of places and select one, real small place, not sure if it would work out. It was an older shopkeeper owner and the son as manager. The son was awesome, I said no rush but they offered to fit me in right then, the old timer goes back with his big buffer and Generic Jug of Compound that works perfectly. He's in and out in about 5 minutes and the mark is gone! They tried to charge me like $15 or some ridiculous poo poo like that, I asked if it was ok to pay more and gave them $30 or something. They also said unprompted that if it did not work I would not have to pay, which is something shops literally never say.

If you drive a lot in a dense city and care about how your cars look, it pays to know the right body man. That's what I say. (Yes I know wet sand/buff as described is an easy job, this guy seemed to have literally over 50 years of experience buffing panels and it was a perfect way to not DIY it.)

VVVV Oh for sure, that's what I assumed, just was curious. Some folks don't know about those pens. :) and I missed your post just above mine where you mentioned pens

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 12, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Are you aware these marks are 100% touch up paint pen territory?

I mean, that's why I'm asking the thread. I assumed it might be, but y'all know collectively better than me, with your own experiences.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So bondo, dry, paint code color, dry, clear coat, dry?

Looking online for the color code is annoying. Rockauto has a touch up, but it doesn't match the color online, and another place the name is completely different and also the wrong red. I'm pretty sure this is Cardinal Red Metallic

At this point I have to ask what you're trying to accomplish. Because you're not gonna get this anything close to hidden from anything close than 30 feet away if this is your approach.

How much does this matter to you and how much is this worth to you? Some things just aren't financially reasonable to fix for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

At this point I have to ask what you're trying to accomplish. Because you're not gonna get this anything close to hidden from anything close than 30 feet away if this is your approach.

How much does this matter to you and how much is this worth to you? Some things just aren't financially reasonable to fix for real.

I'd like to have the problem go away, or at least, not be so obvious.

I just got the car, and while it's used, it sucks rear end to suddenly have this glaring scratch. Since it's down to what seems to be black or maybe steel?, I wonder if it's low enough to become a rust entry point in the future, and I'd like to mitigate that