Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

angerbeet posted:

Birds have magnets in their heads and tectonic plates getting freaky probably messes with them.

yeah this is what i thought but what about the doggos etc?

fanfic insert posted:

It's infrasound. We can't hear it but they definitely can. Lots of animals use it to communicate over long distances, tigers have been observed using it to "stun" prey. It happens in the subterranean levels just before quakes and is enough for the animals to hear it and freak out

ive never heard of this, nature is so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gonna be so loving frustrating if they just go "yeah water's too cold to retrieve it. we dunno what it was. we will take no further questioning" or if they just go "looks like something some guy in his garage released, there's a gi joe tied to a string tied to a big balloon"

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

haha cool start to relations

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fox News trolling Biden into shooting down a ufo because he wants to be re-elected is very 2023

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Entity was no angel

Just a little Arthur C Clarke joshin heh

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Centrist Committee posted:

yeah this is what i thought but what about the doggos etc?

ive never heard of this, nature is so cool

I probably shouldnt have worded that as confidently as i did, I don't actually know for sure it's infrasound they're reacting to but infrasound is real though.

It has a very broad wavelength so it can be heard long distances even in dense jungle so I assume if theres enough of it when the tectonics move it would penetrate to the surface.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Uaps flying by blasting the brown note at us that's why everything is so lovely

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I for one just want to say that: Radar, if you're reading this, I *never* w=ouldshoot down your plane

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hey, Pntis

that weren't me

that don't speak for me

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Hal Puthoff thought Geller was the real deal, incase you were wondering how much of a dupe Puthoff is

So did Vallee - or at least he details a weird lunchtime remote viewing session they did together with sealed envelopes that left an impression on him in one of the Forbidden Science volumes I think.

E: Comedy option is the Chinese balloon was intended for UAP surveillance and we had to shoot it down after it got mainstream media attention right lmao

Objurium has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Feb 10, 2023

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

at this very moment radar is being flown to a CIA black site

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Jazerus posted:

at this very moment radar is being flown to a CIA black site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQiWVntopz4

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Radar was shot down over Alaska. He spun in, there were no survivors

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That wasn't gratitude being projected

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

fanfic insert posted:

I probably shouldnt have worded that as confidently as i did, I don't actually know for sure it's infrasound they're reacting to but infrasound is real though.

It has a very broad wavelength so it can be heard long distances even in dense jungle so I assume if theres enough of it when the tectonics move it would penetrate to the surface.

i don't think it's 100% confirmed, but infrasound is definitely the leading theory last time i was reading about it.

it's also not just birds that can sense infrasound! probably the most famous example of it affecting humans was a paper written by someone who worked in a lab in some basement that had a reputation for being haunted. people always felt uneasy and were seeing things out of the corner of their eye that would disappear as soon as they looked directly at it. turned out that there was a ventilation fan in the lab, and the lab itself was the perfect size and shape to create a standing wave at about 19Hz, which is juuuust below the range of human hearing and also happens to be the resnonance frequency of a human eyeball.

also, horror movies will sometimes incorporate infrasound in their sound design to induce that same uneasy feeling, but it only really works in theaters where the sound systems are good enough to produce low frequencies with enough power.

infrasound rules

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
have the terrorists published any cave videos praising and taking responsibility for their actions?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

iirc there are infrasound freqs that can cause health problems, right?

regardless that poo poo is crazy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Justin Tyme posted:

gonna be so loving frustrating if they just go "yeah water's too cold to retrieve it. we dunno what it was. we will take no further questioning" or if they just go "looks like something some guy in his garage released, there's a gi joe tied to a string tied to a big balloon"

you are in luck gentle goon! according to the article in WaPo:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/02/10/military-shootdown-alaska/

quote:

The object was the size of a small car, much smaller than the surveillance balloon, which was the size of two or three buses, Kirby noted. The military plans to recover the debris, which may be easier because it landed on ice, he said.

Whether the object was capable of surveillance, Kirby said, the United States has not “ruled anything in or out.”

“We’re still trying to learn more from it,” Kirby said. “I want to stress again we don’t know what entity owns this object. There’s no indication it’s from a nation or an institution or an individual.”

He said he did not know of any outreach to the Chinese government Friday afternoon about the new object.

The military downed the object over frozen territorial waters near the northeastern part of Alaska, near the Canadian border and heading over the Arctic Ocean, about within an hour after 1:30 p.m. Eastern time, Kirby said, and expects to recover the debris.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Radar please forgive us, for we know not what we do.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

you are in luck gentle goon! according to the article in WaPo:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/02/10/military-shootdown-alaska/

Sick hopefully they release pictures but I am doubtful they will if it's anything really cool. Honestly I can see it being a lost weather balloon drifted over from Japan/China or something that's unremarkable under normal circumstances but the Chinese balloon has Biden so triggerhappy to avoid more bad press they shot it down this time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know anything except that this is all deeply strange

SpaghettiShaq
Aug 24, 2004
why couldn't they just fly a little closer and take a look what it was, before gunning it down? It wasn't posing a direct threat, they have all these advanced sensors, so whats the deal?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SpaghettiShaq posted:

why couldn't they just fly a little closer and take a look what it was, before gunning it down? It wasn't posing a direct threat, they have all these advanced sensors, so whats the deal?

Supposedly the pilots did, but they haven't released statements

If it crashed on ice it ought to be a pretty easy mystery to solve here if it's something manmade. What'll be interesting is if they release pictures of the recovered Chinese balloon's payload, but not this.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

SpaghettiShaq posted:

They 100% would have gotten close enough or taken some sort of pictures before shooting it down. The fact they aren't telling us and saying they don't know is what's interesting. Maybe they really don't but not knowing what it is doesn't mean they didn't get visuals first.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Do not taunt Planet Monkeytoilet.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
new thread title please in light of recent unfortunate events

[UFos] Radar sorry sorry sorry I hope u r ok don't send us to the second density

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Riot Bimbo posted:

iirc there are infrasound freqs that can cause health problems, right?

regardless that poo poo is crazy

i don't know off the top of my head, but i wouldn't be surprised. part of the reason infrasound causes an uneasy feeling is because your brain and guts really don't like getting squished around by giant, invisible, super intense pressure waves. i don't remember if it's infrasound or supersound, but i know the military has directed sound weapons they can put on the back of a truck and aim at crowds they're not fond of

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1624160219109416973?s=20

a lot of people are losing it

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1624164253161644046

:popeye: :popeye: :popeye:

e,fb

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Really seems like this could be the one

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's a radar reflector

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah baby!!!!!!!!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im glad we can spend millions of dollars defending ourselves from these treacherous balloons

SpaghettiShaq
Aug 24, 2004
lol

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
This quote is really sending me:

quote:

“We’re still trying to learn more from it,” Kirby said. “I want to stress again we don’t know what entity owns this object. There’s no indication it’s from a nation or an institution or an individual.”

If it's not from a nation or an institution or an individual, what does that leave??

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol no loving way

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

CaptainViolence posted:

turned out that there was a ventilation fan in the lab, and the lab itself was the perfect size and shape to create a standing wave at about 19Hz, which is juuuust below the range of human hearing and also happens to be the resnonance frequency of a human eyeball.

I sometimes play on a saxophone that when I hit the right note will make my eyeballs vibrate like crazy and the world goes blurry, never happened with a brass instrument. not infra though but neato

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

and here I was just about to swing by and laugh about how it’s obviously just more spy balloons

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_(medicine)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If it's another balloon why not just say it's a balloon

unless the mystery is a deliberate part of something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaghettiShaq
Aug 24, 2004
i mean could be a zeppelin kinda thing