Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Stop being sarcastic, CIG alreay explained that it's essential cause the bedsheets deforming in a realistic way makes everything more dramatic when the janitor betrays everyone letting the Vanduuls attack your ship.
You and your teammates will be roused by the general alarm and must quickly don your flight suits to scramble and defend the fleet.
Then the camera will pan to your beds and linger over the messy sheets, a symbol of how fleeting peace can be...

Another masterpiece of environmental storytelling from CR. :trustme:

Taxxe:

For some reason I don't think there will be a traitor.

CR seems to not like traitors or anything that it implies.

For example you had Hobbes who defected to the human side in like WC2 or something. This was a cool storyline and made it all feel neat back in the day, but CR didn't write what was probably the best wing commander story of the whole mess.

As soon as he took over again, no, it turns out Hobbes was not a traitor to his side and turned on you and fought you in WC3 because CR can't wrap his head around how a traitor to the bad guys could not still be a bad guy.

So basically he threw out everything interesting that happened from when he wasn't in charge and brought it back to the "good guys vs bad guys" routine immediately again. Only the human side could be good, and the evil aliens could only be evil entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

This is basically what we have been saying all along.

The focus is 110% on graphics... functionality takes a deep deep back seat. :)

It's been years of developing the graphics for a river, but the river as a gameplay aspect hasn't even been considered or the first line of code even written- and it may never be written.

Can you use a river graphic is a cgi movie? Yes!

Does the river need to have any gameplay at all in your cgi movie? No. :)

Do you even need to go in the water to imply to your users that you have fully functional rivers? Also no. :)

Cig is super good at showing something graphically and then the insinuation is that it works because it looks so good. Who would spend so much time making something look so good if it didn't work like it looks like it should?

So cig has rivers in the same way that Big Rigs has rivers, in that it is just graphical but it is not actually there.

Nobody cares. It's the thought that counts. :)

Those mountains in the background are clearly explorable.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I don't remember much about wing commander but I oddly remember that because I remember enjoying wing commander 2 a lot and then turning around and suddenly Hobbes was just brainwashed to believe he was a traitor until he heard some phrase that made him remember he really is an evil bad guy... really didn't make sense to me even as a little girl who wasn't even into marketing.

I was sitting there going "wait... what? That makes no sense for his character at all."

And I later learned about the writing and realized that CR really is just bad at writing a good story and characters. He can write stereotypes and that's basically all you are gonna get for depth. You'll know exact what some persons motivation is the second you see them.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Those mountains in the background are clearly explorable.

Cig implies:
https://youtu.be/9XDE1QwJs28

Cig reality:
https://youtu.be/sCW1QaOH1Y8

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CaringEmotionalGardensnake-mobile.mp4

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Too bad they didn't think to license an FPS engine that already has swimming mechanics programmed for it. Ah well

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Too bad they didn't think to license an FPS engine that already has swimming mechanics programmed for it. Ah well

You'd think they knew they would need it, since that's how you move in 0g

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Whatever happened to Trains in SC?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Toops posted:

drat he's a sphere!

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

lmfao AC/DC playing in the background is incredibly on point for what I expect from these nerds

E: lol they're arguing about why the game isn't vapourware in the comments.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Did the Gladius cost that guy more than his custom setup?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Star Citizen Live: Flight & Light Insight
TLDR deskeletonized version

I dont have Twitch nor care for it, but thankfully one citizen summed it up on the main sub and I'm gonna just post the funniest bits as it's their usual useless show anyway.

Devs: Members of the Ship Design and Lighting Teams

Notable Information:

- Studio tours are confirmed at the Manchester location upon completion. :yayclod:

- Spoke about a previous segment idea around job roles at CIG that had been recorded but later discovered that the mics were never turned on and it had to be scrapped. :lmao:
(jfc they don't even check the mics, if this isn't peak CIG then I dunno what is)

- Internal development includes gates which ensures that daily development does not introduce new bugs or reintroduce previously resolved bugs. :lol:
(ooh that's totally working judging from even a cursory look at the game)

- Point patches have become just as important and labor intensive as full patches due to the amount of content they include. :laffo:
(yeah, totally! just look at the last roadmap or how content heavy patches have been these last few years!)

- Point patches though generally focus on stability over actual new features. :mmmhmm:
(see above but replace "content heavy" with "stable")

- PES was pushed to Game Dev as soon as possible but destabilized the entire code, while anticipated it drastically changed the patch rollout schedule. :pt:
(confirms PES broke everything, they totally anticipated it but never prepared so it hosed up their patch cycles...makes sense)

Another great show that totally confirms everything is fine and CIG is so close to creating the revolutionary tech they need! :gifttank:

Side note, citizens are trying to make "Jared with a whiteboard" from this video a meme template...and this is what passes for a meme on the main sub:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 10, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

JugbandDude posted:

Love the absolute dip in frame rate, almost a freeze, when he switches between the grids.

From the makers of next generation server meshing, that will be licensed to development studios all over the world.

Love to make a sim-pit for my noclip fighter

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Love to make a sim-pit for my noclip fighter
simpit for commuting to the spaceport in a tram

simpit for ordering bland hot dog from a hot dog stand

simpit for walking at the bottom of the "lake"

Edit:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 10, 2023

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Dwesa posted:

simpit for commuting to the spaceport in a tram

simpit for ordering bland hot dog from a hot dog stand

simpit for walking at the bottom of the "lake"

Edit:

im the words on the chair

Bill Decker
Jan 5, 2020
Double Fine has just released a 22 hour documentary about the making of Psychonauts 2 ($3.3 million raised via Fig). Just imagine how long and in-depth the Star Citizen documentary is going to be!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bill Decker posted:

Double Fine has just released a 22 hour documentary about the making of Psychonauts 2.

Watched a few random bits of the doco and it actually seems pretty decent. Filmed over seven years, actually seems to go into real issues they had, lots of design process stuff. Also being split into 32 episodes mostly between 20-40 minutes makes it look like it's pretty digestible. On the surface looks like it could actually be a pretty decent resource for people getting into game design.

Not sure want to spend 22hrs hearing about psychonauts 2 though unless there is some Tiger king'esq stuff buried in there.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Toops posted:

The latest pre-server-meshing jesus tech broke them impressively

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
What did we learn?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Money is good. You buy porsches and mansions

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Titanic posted:

What did we learn?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's odd that one of the Choen brothers most slapstick comedies also seems to be one of their most realistic films.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Took a trip down memory lane, watched some amazing Major Tom videos and seeing that the latest on came out 6 years ago gave me a shocking insight just how long the SC trainshow has been around in my life.

Speaking of, can someone remind me exactly what it was that got Derek Smart banned?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
He would throw weird meltdowns and have snippy little fights over stuff I have had the privilege of forgetting.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Covski posted:

Took a trip down memory lane, watched some amazing Major Tom videos and seeing that the latest on came out 6 years ago gave me a shocking insight just how long the SC trainshow has been around in my life.

Speaking of, can someone remind me exactly what it was that got Derek Smart banned?

I thought it was doxxing, not once, but repeatedly, after being told to stop.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Dwesa posted:

Stimpire for commuting to the spaceport in a tram

Stimpire for ordering bland hot dog from a hot dog stand

Stimpire
for walking at the bottom of the "lake"

Edit:

:five:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LankyDesertedBadger-mobile.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Damage control mode activated! :protarget:

Also:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 11, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Covski posted:

An unacceptable besmirchment of German comma usage.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
[Derek Smart ban]

CubicalSucrose posted:

I thought it was doxxing, not once, but repeatedly, after being told to stop.
It's this.

Fidelitious posted:

An unacceptable besmirchment of German comma usage.
It should have been this too. A multi-page apparently-sincere meltdown, straight outta the 90s, when he tried to correct someone's cultural usage of numerical delimiters and was himself corrected.

My memory/impression (by which I mean it might not actually be 100% true but certainly felt like it at the time, and now) was of Derek Smart slapfights over Battlecruiser, or whatever dumb poo poo he was peddling, constantly being maliciously crossposted and crashing into unrelated usenet groups like the ending of Blazing Saddles.

By which I also mean, I have never heard of usenet, and neither have you. TINC.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
I think derek's final doxxing was related to false identities of a conperson selling lewd star citizen pictures or something. I'm sure this surprises no one.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

He would throw weird meltdowns and have snippy little fights over stuff I have had the privilege of forgetting.

If weird meltdowns and snippy little fights were ban worthy there would be no goons left.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

shrach posted:

I think derek's final doxxing was related to false identities of a conperson selling lewd star citizen pictures or something. I'm sure this surprises no one.

That's him in the wheelchair Norway!

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Holy poo poo, the level of copium in the main sub is off the charts.

"experiences no other game has ever achieved" guys! :vince:

When asked what these experiences would be OP didn't answer, deciding to double down on the copium instead.

quote:

It's still not ready for Live as the latest Patch Notes show, and yeah its bugs can still rob you of your fun times without notice (and sometimes repeatedly), but 3.18 is the biggest jump in gameplay we've seen since planets finally came online back in 2018, and I love seeing the Verse get that much closer to achieving CIG's vision!

And here's me quoting a couple things from the patch notes OP mentioned, maybe some of these are the experiences no other game has ever achieved? :shrug:

quote:

Vehicles/IFCS - When flying near another ship, ship seems to hit an invisible box that kicks it in random directions
Cargo - Performance - High capacity cargo vessels, when loaded, can cause a severe performance drop on both client and server
Selling - Commodity Kiosk / Cargo - Large amounts of cargo sold at once will cause the transaction to fail the cargo will be taken and no money will be granted
Ships - Cockpit - Actor animations - Occasionally unable to exit ship seat
Locations - Transit - Elevators - Players can fall through Elevators
Vehicles / Docking - A retrieved ship delivered to a docking port will be missing collision
Looted Ammo Clips Drop Off Player
Multivehicle - Audio - Missing Audio/SFX with QT travel

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 11, 2023

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

For example you had Hobbes who defected to the human side in like WC2 or something.

hold your horses right there! that was in wc3 (water closet 3)!!1!

this is actually my wrinkled hand (compare that to mark hamills wrinkled face) and honestly i kept this loving box my whole life.
anyhoo ms. titanic you are right with mostly everything you write but...

...hobbes betrayed luke skywalker in wing comander 3.

fake edit: omg i didnt log into imgur for thousands of years...this is from many many years ago:

real edit: oops yeah...uhm...i didnt even read that correctly. my bad, yeah hobbes probably changed sides in wc2! and then again in wc3

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 11, 2023

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

You inspired me to look through my old imgur account and although I didn't find much related to Star Citizen I did find this:

Just felt like I needed to share it.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Totally OT but is that a bottle of Fanta behind the game?

That's funny af but I'm gonna be an insufferable dork and say the template is all wrong for a Planeswalker. :negative:

Here's how I envision him nowadays. Starting loyalty is 0 cause it's a concept completely alien to Chris.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 11, 2023

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Totally OT but is that a bottle of Fanta behind the game?

yes, drat with all the machine learning and ai these days who knows i may have doxxed myself now and my location is now crystal clear.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 12, 2023

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

BumbleOne posted:

hold your horses right there! that was in wc3 (water closet 3)!!1!

this is actually my wrinkled hand (compare that to mark hamills wrinkled face) and honestly i kept this loving box my whole life.
anyhoo ms. titanic you are right with mostly everything you write but...

...hobbes betrayed luke skywalker in wing comander 3.

fake edit: omg i didnt log into imgur for thousands of years...this is from many many years ago:

real edit: oops yeah...uhm...i didnt even read that correctly. my bad, yeah hobbes probably changed sides in wc2! and then again in wc3

Yus.

Hobbes was a very neat addition to the general game, which wrote him in during WC2. CR wasn't involved in that any.

Taking over again for WC3, CR killed Hobbes off in the dumbest possible way.

And then he continued that trend in WC4 which I believe is where they introduced the evil human side where the main bad guy was literally a knife twirling villain. And of course the main admiral guy who has no reason to do any of that stuff was behind it all, because high ranking military can also only be evil villains.

Only the grunts and people under Captain rank are allowed to be good guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Yus.

Hobbes was a very neat addition to the general game, which wrote him in during WC2. CR wasn't involved in that any.

Taking over again for WC3, CR killed Hobbes off in the dumbest possible way.

And then he continued that trend in WC4 which I believe is where they introduced the evil human side where the main bad guy was literally a knife twirling villain. And of course the main admiral guy who has no reason to do any of that stuff was behind it all, because high ranking military can also only be evil villains.

Only the grunts and people under Captain rank are allowed to be good guys.

phew thank god i never bothered to learn any of the lore or storyline for any of Chris' other games, since it sounds incredibly stupid

all i remember from wing commander was sidle up to bar, talk to bartender, get mission briefing, fly ship through endless cutscenes, eventually win the day and return to the bar