Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would simply cut to a commercial break and come back with a fully restored house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

siding and windows runs about 50k for a 1500-2k sqft house. my mom just started renting her dad's old house (built in the 60s!! not that old!) from the rest of the family, her heating bills are enormous, and no one wants to fix the property up because of the up front cost

When I did the roof and siding for my house back in 2017 (~1800 sq ft) it was $30K for plain old lovely vinyl siding.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

just plowed like 100k on a two-story deck in their backyard

how on earth did building a deck cost more than building a house, does it transform into a butler or something

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

how on earth did building a deck cost more than building a house, does it transform into a butler or something

it's austin so materials and labor are through the roof. however our group was shocked when we were told it doesn't come with a pool

he doesn't even have people over

Morbus
May 18, 2004

don't be loving stupid. i survive on 25k/year in austin. my friends making 100k+ all own their own homes and have infinite money. one making 150k flies to park city once a month in winter and then new zealand in summer. they treat bourbon like an investment vehicle and have all lost mid-five figs on crypto

My rent is 41k/yr for a 2bd < 1k sq ft apartment my wife and I share. For people leasing similar units in the same place today, they are charging more than 5000/mo lmao.

I have no idea how anyone affords an apartment in the bay area if they aren't making very good money, and even then it's loving stupid.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Morbus posted:

My rent is 41k/yr for a 2bd < 1k sq ft apartment my wife and I share. For people leasing similar units in the same place today, they are charging more than 5000/mo lmao.

I have no idea how anyone affords an apartment in the bay area if they aren't making very good money, and even then it's loving stupid.

We are paying 21 a year for a 1bed in Seattle which is obscene and most places are charging way more than that. I don't understand it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

indigi posted:

why are you still in contact with them lol

We are not anymore

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Morbus posted:

at least you're in the bay area, which makes the base minimum of sense. i'm at 1000/month for a 12x12 room in texas, 15 miles from downtown

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When I did the roof and siding for my house back in 2017 (~1800 sq ft) it was $30K for plain old lovely vinyl siding.

oh I am definitely planning on leaving the ratty lovely vinyl siding up untill it completely decays. I did get a new roof and gutters tho and my windows are coming in at the end of the month.

It's going to be real fun boarding them up again in the deas of winter lol

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

at least you're in the bay area, which makes the base minimum of sense. i'm at 1000/month for a 12x12 room in texas, 15 miles from downtown

Bay Area COL has been downright dystopian for years and I’m shocked anyone without rent control or Prop 13 protection still puts up with it there. Yeah, there’s tons of tech jobs there including many not available anywhere else, but surely a lion’s share of them are wfh now?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

Friend of mine got a front deck that barely wraps around one corner, but required two historic preservation committee sign-offs. Well over 100k

Housing is very stupid

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Bay Area COL has been downright dystopian for years and I’m shocked anyone without rent control or Prop 13 protection still puts up with it there. Yeah, there’s tons of tech jobs there including many not available anywhere else, but surely a lion’s share of them are wfh now?

Every person I know who moved to the peninsula in the last 10 years either makes enormous amounts of money in tech and thinks it is okay, or does not and thinks it sucks.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/real-estate/2023/02/09/not-making-100-k-housing-markets-out-reach/11218849002/

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
you just need to work hard and u will be over 100k in no time! ( over 100k in debt from medical debt and school debt)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I think I would just learn to build a loving deck it’s like a two person job done by regular people what the gently caress

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s the lumber these days. Jesus lumber is still expensive.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
just make a steel or concrete deck, both of which from family that worked in construction are not that hard to work with if you don't fumble safety.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

you just need to work hard and u will be over 100k in no time! ( over 100k in debt from medical debt and school debt)

i always forget that everyone in my generation took out $80,000 in debt by the age of 22.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mortgage rates climbing again

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

anime was right posted:

mortgage rates climbing again

:yeshaha:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Looked up the housing prices on the street we were first renting on when we moved to NZ and just lmao:

We were renting a 1.5 bedroom unit, 70m^2 (~750 ft^2), which was part of a somewhat crappy block of 11 I'd guess were built in the 60s while every other house on the street is a massive mansion. I remember there was a family of four living across from us in a similar sized unit who I'd guess were only paying to live in such a tiny place because it was in a good school zone that they could never afford anything larger in.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i am harry posted:

I think I would just learn to build a loving deck it’s like a two person job done by regular people what the gently caress

yeah totally what could go wrong

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Why we need to cut taxes so people can afford things like homes versus having the government take it all.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Rip Testes posted:

Why we need to cut taxes so people can afford things like homes versus having the government take it all.

yeah anyone making over 100k needs 2 pay no tax

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

yeah totally what could go wrong

couple loose boards, some repainting, a bit of a weird angle...its not loving magic its a god damned wooden platform raised a foot off the ground

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Building a deck is legitimately not a complex project. I helped a friend build a large deck on his parent's house when we were basically kids and it's still standing 20 years later. We didn't even have youtube videos, just a lovely DIY book and early 2000s internet.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've been on a deck made from that plastic lumber made from recycled grocery bags and it's pretty decent. use that instead of lumber to save on costs imo. and yeah if you can spackle a hole in drywall and put together a desk from Ikea without looking at the instructions you are more than qualified to build a deck, it barely requires construction let alone engineering (a two story deck may require some engineering but that's a really stupid idea, why would you do that)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I've been on a deck made from that plastic lumber made from recycled grocery bags and it's pretty decent. use that instead of lumber to save on costs imo. and yeah if you can spackle a hole in drywall and put together a desk from Ikea without looking at the instructions you are more than qualified to build a deck, it barely requires construction let alone engineering (a two story deck may require some engineering but that's a really stupid idea, why would you do that)

yeah that poo poo rules. i think my friend did stone bottom and pecan or some poo poo for the walls/upper deck. insane keeping up with the joneses bullshit

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

Classic goon posting. Totally wrong and aggressively overconfident

Composite decking is like 10x the cost of lumber lol. You don’t ever have to paint it, it doesn’t warp, and it lasts forever but lol at saving on costs w it up front. plenty of locales do require engineering input to obtain a permit depending on seismic activity, soil conditions, etc. Everything else you posted is so dumb I’m not even sure you know what a deck is

That said I encourage all goons to try to build their own decks and post the results :D

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Building a deck is legitimately not a complex project. I helped a friend build a large deck on his parent's house when we were basically kids and it's still standing 20 years later. We didn't even have youtube videos, just a lovely DIY book and early 2000s internet.

Ya what could possible go wrong

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

Hmm. Sounds like you didn't get the architectural plans submitted by a licensed architect to the city and then a permit. You now have to tear down the deck or the city will tear it down and put a lien on you

In all seriousness this is why you can build fun poo poo in the country. We slapped a mudroom on our house growing up, just built by hand in a couple days. Neighbor in his 70s wanted a garage so he got out a shovel and chainsaw and went to work.
Then later my dad and I built a 20 foot tall tower on two posts, free standing in soft soil and figured well there's some trees nearby to jump onto if things go bad. Didn't even measure, just said eh this hole looks good enough, this distance seems nice, and moved on

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 14:24 on Feb 11, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

groverdeck

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

it's austin so materials and labor are through the roof. however our group was shocked when we were told it doesn't come with a pool

he doesn't even have people over

Texas as a whole has really weird dynamic soil that moves a lot, almost all the houses get built on pretensioned concrete slabs to deal w this. A good chunk of that cost for the deck went towards engineering/architecture design and the foundation. not to say it’s not a ton of money but it’s quite a bit more involved than building a deck in, say, Kansas

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the city is not protecting you from yourself by making you get a building permit for your deck. the city is protecting your renter or the next owner from you.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Greg12 posted:

the city is not protecting you from yourself by making you get a building permit for your deck. the city is protecting your renter or the next owner from you.

That, and updating the assessed value of the house for moar property taxes :guinness:

Oh ya and the fees for obtaining the permits and having the inspections performed are a decent revenue source. I don’t really think the municipalities of today give a poo poo about the safety of its citizens, but maybe that’s too cynical.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
lol if your city's building inspection fees cover more than inspectah deck's time spent working on your project. if they're putting park impact fees on home improvement projects, call Howard Jarvis.

taxing wealth is good btw

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Greg12 posted:

taxing wealth is good btw

:chloe:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mastershakeman posted:

Hmm. Sounds like you didn't get the architectural plans submitted by a licensed architect to the city and then a permit. You now have to tear down the deck or the city will tear it down and put a lien on you

In all seriousness this is why you can build fun poo poo in the country. We slapped a mudroom on our house growing up, just built by hand in a couple days. Neighbor in his 70s wanted a garage so he got out a shovel and chainsaw and went to work.
Then later my dad and I built a 20 foot tall tower on two posts, free standing in soft soil and figured well there's some trees nearby to jump onto if things go bad. Didn't even measure, just said eh this hole looks good enough, this distance seems nice, and moved on

They live in a decently-sized city in CT and the only things the city required were a permit application, an inspection of the footings, and then an inspection after the deck was completed.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Ya what could possible go wrong

those are all 10ft above the ground I’m just talking one in my back yard…gotta figure out how to disassemble this fucker first though

it’s almost 100 years old, built completely with that good “old” wood. gotta be at least a thousand in reclaimable lumber

i am harry has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

indigi posted:

My neighbor built a deck made out of that, about 20’ x 10’, and it was over $10k and cost twice as much as lumber would have.