Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

I want to be a ranch racoon since I love raccoons and am trashy but the reality is I'm definitely ashy but you can't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I guess the obvious downside from the salesman's perspective is that if there are no cars to sell that doesn't amount to many commissions.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
This is literally the best time to have a headline of "US shoots down UFO" but noooooo
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1624128340838780938?t=EDNnh2gxF2A-3yomCTwXMg&s=19

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
They said a fighter confirmed it was unmanned so must have got pretty close

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Its Rinaldo posted:

They said a fighter confirmed it was unmanned so must have got pretty close

Not unaliened though :tinfoil:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I want to be a ranch racoon since I love raccoons and am trashy but the reality is I'm definitely ashy but you can't see it.

I've used "truck monkey" and "tractor monkey" a few times in conversation.

That list has so many gems I'm having a hard time picking out my favorite ones but "iPhone on light mode" is some :discourse:-tier poo poo, and that's just on the first page.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Hot Diggity! posted:

This is literally the best time to have a headline of "US shoots down UFO" but noooooo
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1624128340838780938?t=EDNnh2gxF2A-3yomCTwXMg&s=19

Jordan Peele already at work on that Nope sequel.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Whoever said their kid took a week to notice their pet was missing, you suck. It took my kid like 10 minutes to notice the cat was gone. I really had hoped I could put off that conversation for at least a day.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Whoever said Cunk on Earth is amazing was absolutely right.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Whoever said their kid took a week to notice their pet was missing, you suck. It took my kid like 10 minutes to notice the cat was gone. I really had hoped I could put off that conversation for at least a day.

When did they ask about the bird?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kids are so good at picking up on the exact thing you want them to ignore.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Depending on the cat it can be perfectly normal to see it once every week or two

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I was wondering the other day, what’s going to happen when truly smartphone/internet literate people start aging into senility en masse and start racking up 50 thousand dollar Amazon tabs and sliding into 12 year olds’ DMs and stuff like that? I’m sure that kind of stuff happens now, but it seems like in 10-20 years it’s going to happen A LOT.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Idea: web browser version of the Jitterbug where they can’t enter credit card info and can only post on a social network for other geriatrics, and all they can post are Minions image macros.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Conservativism is assuming that once your mind goes you’ll of course try to gently caress a child.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

General Dog posted:

I was wondering the other day, what’s going to happen when truly smartphone/internet literate people start aging into senility en masse and start racking up 50 thousand dollar Amazon tabs and sliding into 12 year olds’ DMs and stuff like that? I’m sure that kind of stuff happens now, but it seems like in 10-20 years it’s going to happen A LOT.

I'm extremely concerned about your brain

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I mean it’s not meant to be a comprehensive list

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Remember the FedEx flight thing? jfc the video :stare:

https://twitter.com/DocumentingATX/status/1623745063388958720

This is a simulation recreating the incident, the real incident occurred at dawn with almost no visibility

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 11, 2023

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I'm 99% certain that's Microsoft Flight Simulator... Unless :thejoke:

Edit: ok yeah, then if that's accurate holy poo poo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

At least they didn’t have to pay 40 bucks to check a bag

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

How’d it go? Our son was around 3 when our dog passed. He had a lot of questions we answered factually and he seemed to get it. Def occupied his mind for about a week in an inquisitive way.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

When did they ask about the bird?

He knows not to ask.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

General Dog posted:

I mean we're already seeing people throw their finances away on crypto and NFTs and have verifiable proof that people like Bill Clinton took dozens of trips to a place known as pedophile island. poo poo dude, Chris Delia and James Franco have been outed for grooming. We're kinda already there, just replace senility with drunk/high/think they're invincible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I'm 99% certain that's Microsoft Flight Simulator... Unless :thejoke:

Edit: ok yeah, then if that's accurate holy poo poo

Once again shoutout to flight sims for being so pretty you could believe they're real.

Also yeah, if they got the reproduction down right and the audio is synced correctly that's utterly terrifying.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I signed up to do my union's lobby day at thr state legislature so I can yell at politicians about what I do and why at least one bill related to child welfare is dumb as hell. It'll be fun!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thinking about all the good dogs

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Thinking about all the good dogs

My good dogs are in their crates and the super duper cuddly one just wants out to be in our bed but we can’t cause the babies still sleep in the bedroom.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I signed up to do my union's lobby day at thr state legislature so I can yell at politicians about what I do and why at least one bill related to child welfare is dumb as hell. It'll be fun!

Yelling at politicians on behalf of working people is one of the few truly excellent American traditions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

General Dog posted:

I've talked about my mom's parkinsons before. She's glued to her iphone. We had to put her on a strict "no computer without direct supervision" rule for her laptop, and one time my stepdad called me so I could tell a new caretaker that it wasn't her husband being an ogre, and it wasn't that we didn't "trust her" it was just that after the first time she gave control of her laptop to a scammer and they tried to clean out her bank account she was told what not to do and then she got caught right in the middle of doing the exact same thing again. Meanwhile both my stepmother and my wife's mother have been taken to the cleaners to the tune of multiple thousands of dollars. My mother in law was stopped at Target trying to buy a second batch of loads of gift cards after she'd already sent three grand in gift cards earlier in the day. My stepmother lost an amount she won't tell me to scammers two years ago and then this winter she got as far as having the remote desktop installed, and they were trying to get her to buy bitcoin to "refund" an "overpayment" they were showing her on her bank account login (by distracting her for a minute so they could edit the raw HTML after she logged in and then show her a browser tab with the "accidental extra refund" on it) before she finally called me and I had her unplug the loving computer.

So to answer your question, it's actually better for the senile ones because you can take away their devices. It's the not senile elderly who have just enough computer literacy to get themselves into trouble who are being preyed upon constantly.

It's infuriating that our government doesn't do a loving thing about it. Like how is it that all of our phone systems are absolutely infested with scam callers? How do they have active working phone numbers, which you can supply to the police, and that does not immediately lead to an arrest at the physical location of that number's origin? Oh because we just let the phone providers provide anonymizing services, people out of the country purchase and use in-country area code numbers, all that poo poo just totally free and open. How is it that you can buy nine thousand dollars in gift cards and read the numbers to someone in India and now all that money is gone and irretriveable?

All of my parents have had the lecture, don't believe popups that tell you there's a bug, don't call the number on the screen, Microsoft does not give you free phone support, don't install poo poo on your computer because a stranger pretending to be a bank told you to. But they all don't want to bother the kids, they want to fix things themselves, they want to feel smart and capable in their old age, and there's so many scammers preying on that impulse, they have their scripts down to a tee.

Anyway sorry about the rant but yeah the problem's enormous and if my stepmom and mother in law were bad enough that we had to live with them and could just lock their goddamn devices down well, that'd be awful and a huge burden of course but at least they'd be safe from the scams. :argh:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

My MiL has had her identity stolen at least once, is glued to her iPhone and is credulous as hell. I fear the day she tells us she’s had her retirement cleaned out by scammers.

One time she asked to borrow my laptop so she could “go through” her “spam folder” because it’s “too slow on my phone.” Im not sure I’ve ever said no more emphatically.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The sad thing is that getting scammed can be one of the early signs of dementia. So when you have parents that went from generally financially stable to giving away thousands in gift cards, you have to start worrying about the bigger problem.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I, as a 37 year old computer toucher, bought a house in what historically has been a working class neighborhood of Madison. Since I've moved, two new apartment complexes have opened (one named after the iconic restaurant that used to be there that couldn't find a buyer), a mixed use bakery/coffee shop/brewpub opened in a former industrial lab space, and a new taco place opened with a neon sign to take Instagram selfies in front of. My neighbor and I joke about the neighborhood gentrifying, but also I don't know if it's a joke. Which, watch me stick this landing, is very similar to this:

BlindSite posted:

I mean we're already seeing people throw their finances away on crypto and NFTs and have verifiable proof that people like Bill Clinton took dozens of trips to a place known as pedophile island. poo poo dude, Chris Delia and James Franco have been outed for grooming. We're kinda already there, just replace senility with drunk/high/think they're invincible.

It's tough to know when you're going through a particular point in time because it's incredibly difficult to have the correct perspective instead of day to day trudging. So I understand GD wondering when something that's happening is going to happen. Without a researched article or particularly enlighting conversation, it's really difficult to change your perspective and frame of reference to the correct view to see what's happening.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

It's infuriating that our government doesn't do a loving thing about it. Like how is it that all of our phone systems are absolutely infested with scam callers? How do they have active working phone numbers, which you can supply to the police, and that does not immediately lead to an arrest at the physical location of that number's origin? Oh because we just let the phone providers provide anonymizing services, people out of the country purchase and use in-country area code numbers, all that poo poo just totally free and open. How is it that you can buy nine thousand dollars in gift cards and read the numbers to someone in India and now all that money is gone and irretriveable?

you answer your own question in the next paragraph

quote:

But they all don't want to bother the kids, they want to fix things themselves, they want to feel smart and capable in their old age,

it's this. the old and near-senile don't want to admit their own weakness, so it never becomes a political issue

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pmchem posted:

you answer your own question in the next paragraph

it's this. the old and near-senile don't want to admit their own weakness, so it never becomes a political issue

I don’t know, I consider myself pretty sharp and still don’t especially enjoy being bombarded by grift all hours of the day.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

General Dog posted:

I don’t know, I consider myself pretty sharp and still don’t especially enjoy being bombarded by grift all hours of the day.

sure, me too, but I was referring to "the old and near-senile". and for people like you and me, despite thinking scammers are annoying and lovely, they probably don't even rank of the top 10 of things I'd talk to a congressperson about

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

pmchem posted:

sure, me too, but I was referring to "the old and near-senile". and for people like you and me, despite thinking scammers are annoying and lovely, they probably don't even rank of the top 10 of things I'd talk to a congressperson about

Those congresspeople can't take your call anyway. They have the Emperor of Burkina Faso on the other line who has a proposition regarding a bank transfer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1624170153171640366?t=Gcvlgluq6_z1KA0rOVkGJg&s=19

And he wants RDJ to play him. How is Vin Diesel becoming the great American playwright?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So is 11 or 12 supposed to be the last one?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Sorry dude but that was my experience. Anxiety about her noticing and having the talk sucked so at least you are going for it. Its a hard time no matter how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1624170153171640366?t=Gcvlgluq6_z1KA0rOVkGJg&s=19

And he wants RDJ to play him. How is Vin Diesel becoming the great American playwright?

Getting Bobby DJ to do an Elon Musk impersonation after Musk spent years trying to do his portrayal of Tony Stark is a real "I ran this through Google Translate, then ran the translation back through again" move.