Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
My problem with the first OT was that the characters never really interacted with one another - you just recruited them and then everyone had their own, separate thing going on.

Is that still how it works in OT2, or will Hikari comment on Throne's chapters etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Obviously the game isn't out yet so it's impossible to say definitively, but I got to the point in the demo where I could get another character and it consisted of said character being like "hello friend. I am a traveler, looking for likeminded allies. Are you a traveler too? Yes? Well my name is Hikari, let us travel together." With zero input or comment from my current character, not even saying their name. Not a great sign for improved intraparty dynamics.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hikari is pretty cool. Runs great on the Steam Deck so far. The interconnectivity doesn't bother me so much as long as the core gameplay is the same and the music slaps.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
The trailers have all pushed that there is more of a push for interparty dynamics, but the only definitive thing I saw was that there seem to be some dungeons that require progress in multiple campaigns. I still don't think it will be a massive improvement over the first, since Octopath is more interested in being nonlinear than a tightly crafted experience.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Couldn't find a deal though, it's so expensive...

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Couldn't find a deal though, it's so expensive...

GMG has it for 20% off/22% off with an additional coupon on their XP page
https://www.greenmangaming.com/xp-offers/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyoru posted:

GMG has it for 20% off/22% off with an additional coupon on their XP page
https://www.greenmangaming.com/xp-offers/

Thanks, bought it.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

guts and bolts posted:

My problem with the first OT was that the characters never really interacted with one another - you just recruited them and then everyone had their own, separate thing going on.

Is that still how it works in OT2, or will Hikari comment on Throne's chapters etc.?

That's pretty consistent with the rest of the game's style, which is "what if it was 1995 and also we weren't trying very hard?" The items, combat, exploration, story all felt like middle of the road 90s fare which is cute for an hour or two of nostalgia but not actually very fun to play through all the way. I was hoping it'd be a synthesis of some of the best stuff from that era instead of some good art laid on top of a bog standard rpgmaker game.

I really wanted to like the first OT but nostalgia trip aside it's just not very good. I'm still hoping this one will be a big improvement but so far it looks more like a veneer change which is nice but no dice if everything underneath is still a watered down ff5/6 knockoff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Obviously the game isn't out yet so it's impossible to say definitively, but I got to the point in the demo where I could get another character and it consisted of said character being like "hello friend. I am a traveler, looking for likeminded allies. Are you a traveler too? Yes? Well my name is Hikari, let us travel together." With zero input or comment from my current character, not even saying their name. Not a great sign for improved intraparty dynamics.

Quoting an interview that was posted here recently:

"The developers heard the feedback that people felt the protagonists didn't interact enough in OT1, so they introduced the Crossed Paths mechanic in this game to try to enhance the sense that the group is traveling together. The main stories will still be focused on the individual characters, but the Crossed Path stories will supplement that and help the characters feel closer."

So it seems like we won't know about this sort of stuff until the full game since this sounds like something which happens beyond the first few hours.

Some Numbers posted:

Are there any indications as to whether they fixed it so your "chosen" starting character isn't locked in your party?

Also, how's the music?

In the first game you could swap them out if you completed their storyline, at least.

Also calling this a "bog standard rpgmaker game" is insane lol

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

guts and bolts posted:

The Devs have claimed that characters will chime in a lot more and that this piece of feedback is something they took onboard after the first game.

I've not played the demo yet so I can't confirm further.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Personally I hope they use the party switching mechanic from the phone game so that you don't have to change your party all the time.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Personally I hope they use the party switching mechanic from the phone game so that you don't have to change your party all the time.

I wish they would too. I loved the mechanic in Another Eden and I love it in COTC. Makes battles more interesting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Since I bought the steam version, starting with a differetn character: the count of monte cristo stuck in Elba.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Was watching my boyfriend play the demo on his own and he wandered over to get Agnea. Now I feel somewhat obligated to pick her for my full game file because she's Southern like me. Also she's got a good outfit.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Enjoyed the first game, but was kinda burnt out on it by the time I finished the eight story lines and things converged at the ruins of Hornburg. Is it worth picking back up to finish that bit off?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

Enjoyed the first game, but was kinda burnt out on it by the time I finished the eight story lines and things converged at the ruins of Hornburg. Is it worth picking back up to finish that bit off?

At this point might as well just start fresh on the sequel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Enjoyed the first two chapters I got to on the Switch, Partitio and Hikari.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

fishing with the fam posted:

If you want some closure on the main sidequests, as well as tying up fairly minor loose ends for some of the character stories, then sure.

Just be aware that it’s a fairly easy but time-consuming boss rush, followed up with a tough final boss that assumes that you know at least some of the most busted job/ability combos… without any saves once you start.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

If nothing else you missed the best area theme in the game (though the entire soundtrack never misses to be fair). I loving love the Gate of Finis theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgvwyZsDXwI

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I remember the little transition from stage 1 to stage 2 of the true final boss being hype thanks to music

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Didn't realize this was coming out so soon. I have no idea who I want to start with.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh right speaking of Main Character Decisions.

They seem to have gotten rid of the Locked Purple Chests that were all over the first game which only Therion could open. So you don't have any obligation to pick Throne (the thief) for ease of exploration in that regard. So that really just makes anyone a perfectly good choice of main.

I guess that doesn't help the decision paralysis though huh?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I've come to love apothecaries in the mobile game but I never use concoct in OT1 (which I just picked up a while back and am still playing through, to be fair)

I might do the scholar this time around.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Combo posted:

I've come to love apothecaries in the mobile game but I never use concoct in OT1 (which I just picked up a while back and am still playing through, to be fair)

I might do the scholar this time around.

Concoct is busted as hell in OT1. I don't remember the recipes but all the recipes that give the whole party BP are insanely overpowered and you should definitely look up the recipes and try it. The ingredients aren't even expensive or hard to find

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Concoct is busted as hell in OT1. I don't remember the recipes but all the recipes that give the whole party BP are insanely overpowered and you should definitely look up the recipes and try it. The ingredients aren't even expensive or hard to find

Yeah I've heard I just haven't messed with it. I'm only just now finishing up my last chapter 2 and the game's been easy so far anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I went with Olberic in the first game but for this round I'm definitely going with Osvald.

My HATE is UNCEASING!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh dang, Castti's story does have a cool hook. That effect of showing her regaining memories is cool as hell. It's gonna be a helluva time actually picking who I wanna make my main once the full game releases. I know it's not actually that huge a decision but at the same time it feels like one. Both Temenos and Castti are rad. Then there's Agnea who I'm tempted to go with just because dancers are always fun and we share our regional dialect.

But then there's the cool samurai Hikari and the based Partitio. Decisions really are hard.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

SKULL.GIF posted:

I went with Olberic in the first game but for this round I'm definitely going with Osvald.

My HATE is UNCEASING!

:emptyquote:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Why does the drat demo completely change the control scheme that was already in place for the first game (on PC)? :(

I guess I'll just hook a controller to my pc and play that way.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Throné is very cool and I love bonking everyone on the head even if there's no real reason to do so

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I was sold on the samurai from the very start, so that’s an easy decision for me. Now, who to get after, on the other hand…

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So I played through chapters 1 and 2 of Osvald and I just picked up my first of the rest of the group, the cleric. Game is really enjoyable so far.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Played through both Castti and Hikari's Chapter 1 and I like both characters a lot.

I want to start with Hikari, but I realized I'm going to spend so much time in every town bribing and fighting everyone. I can see Hikari being one of the strongest characters with Learned Skills. Maybe it's not as effective later on, but to early on it gives you so many other options and ways to break shields for equipment you can't even use. Curious how Ochette is since I originally wanted to start with H'annit in OT1, but hated the capture mechanic and being forced to use captured monsters for her solo fights.

I like the day/night mechanic and that it's just a button press to change. I also like how they improved animations and added an effect or change in attack when maxing out BP for an attack to make it actually feel significant.

Not sure if it's just because it's a demo and the scaling when you only have 1 character but the 1st bosses were no threat at all. I know they were easy in OT1, but I don't remember if they were that simple.

Edit: drat. I like Osvalt too. You can memory edit the time of your game with cheat engine if you search for time played in seconds so you don't hit the demo time limit. There's a lot of overlap with bribe/inquire/scrutinize, but I can see starting my party with these 3. I like the addition of Mug as a path action.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 11, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Shyfted One posted:

Played through both Castti and Hikari's Chapter 1 and I like both characters a lot.

I want to start with Hikari, but I realized I'm going to spend so much time in every town bribing and fighting everyone. I can see Hikari being one of the strongest characters with Learned Skills. Maybe it's not as effective later on, but to early on it gives you so many other options and ways to break shields for equipment you can't even use. Curious how Ochette is since I originally wanted to start with H'annit in OT1, but hated the capture mechanic and being forced to use captured monsters for her solo fights.

I like the day/night mechanic and that it's just a button press to change. I also like how they improved animations and added an effect or change in attack when maxing out BP for an attack to make it actually feel significant.

Not sure if it's just because it's a demo and the scaling when you only have 1 character but the 1st bosses were no threat at all. I know they were easy in OT1, but I don't remember if they were that simple.

Edit: drat. I like Osvalt too. You can memory edit the time of your game with cheat engine if you search for time played in seconds so you don't hit the demo time limit. There's a lot of overlap with bribe/inquire/scrutinize, but I can see starting my party with these 3. I like the addition of Mug as a path action.

Oh, so it would be possible to get all 8 characters then carry over that save when my full game unlocks? Interesting...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hikari is very funny because his whole deal is being a compassionate man of the people compared to his traditionally bloodthirsty clan, but you just waltz into every building and beat the poo poo out of every peasant you see to learn how to throw bottles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Hikari is very funny because his whole deal is being a compassionate man of the people compared to his traditionally bloodthirsty clan, but you just waltz into every building and beat the poo poo out of every peasant you see to learn how to throw bottles.

Welp, I was already leaning towards starting with Hikari but I guess now I definitely will

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Who amongst us, etc etc.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Throne is the exact amount of full on edge that I wanted.

Also I love fantasy Venice.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I managed Throné and Temenos in my demo playthrough; Throné I thought was fine if a little generic revenge story based on the first chapter. Temenos, however, was goddamn incredible from the wild opening all the way to the end where I was getting straight up Disco Elysium vibes from him just channelling his inner Visual Calculus to reconstruct the crime scene in the cathedral and dragging around a partner playing straight man to his antics.

I sort of want to delete the save data and play again but I don't want to burn out early replaying stories when it actually releases in full. It's gonna be a long two weeks for the actual release day. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Played the demo this morning. Did Castii and Hikaris chapters. Game owns, never played the first one but I'm buying this one day one.