Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This made me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

that would make for a great mav pic

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Boats

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've been reading this thread for a while and i've gotta say most of these pictures don't look low effort at all!

i got my first dslr (an old d40) the other day, and while I don't really understand what I'm doing just yet (my interest has generally been in lovely lofi photography) I'm excited to just post. Walked around Tweed Heads today while the missus got her haircut, took a bunch of photos but I thought these ones were pretty cool - there's a crazy rental crisis going on and lots of people are living out of vans, busses, campers etc. I have no idea how to process raws yet so the colours are probably a bit whacky sorry.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I looked at your pictures and could tell what you were trying to convey before I read your text, so you nailed that. As for the editing, that just comes with time (I still suck at it), I posted some youtube tutorials in the other thread as well as some styles to apply to help you get what you want with less editing.

This thread is very laid back though. So if you want more than just than the occasional 'nice' comment then you will probably need to ask for feedback when you post them.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 10, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't think I'm very good but one of the things that I habitually do with almost all my photos is to up the contrast either through curves or with a slider. It's like an exploratory step to try to get the picture to represent the focal point that I had in mind when I shot it.

I really like the van in front of the apartments in your post, so here's how I start out the workflow:

Here's the original, opened in Preview with the "Adjust Color" tool selected.

Right off the top I can see that the image is exposed to give you great detail in the highlights and shadows. What's lacking here is contrast, everything has the same flat, grey aspect because the camera doesn't know what you want to pop out.

Next, I just pull in the level ends so that the extra information at either end of the histogram gets dropped:

If my dad had asked me to touch up one of his snapshots, I may stop at this point just because I know he's not really looking for much more. However, I did lose some detail in the clouds and the roof of the van. I don't mind that but ymmv

Now I adjust the contrast and the midpoint until the van pops even more.

Little bit better but I think this scene should be a bit more... orange. It gives me a vibe of hot parking lot and the temperature is simply too cool for that.

So now I mess with the other sliders. Each change I make I usually confirm that it has a positive effect by wiggling the other sliders a bit. After adjusting the contrast and highlights here, for instance, I brought the right side of the level slider back and forth to see what effect my changes were having on the roof and the clouds.

I turned up the exposure so I could increase the contrast even more (boosting the highlights) without losing shadow detail. I also increased the saturation to give the picture more of that scorching parking lot feel, balanced by trying to bring the temperature cooler to give the sky some contrast. Then a little bit of sepia and sharpness because I liked the result of that.

The image after this little bit of futzing.

With this shot, I would now try to mask off the sky and apply a "dehaze" gradient mask over it to give it some additional drama. Depending on the effect I want I would also try masking off the grass and tree leaves and playing with the saturation and colours on those bits, since they could be either more vibrant or more washed out, depending.

Edit: Oh, I also think the composition would be a bit better if the van was closer to the center of the frame. Having it bunched in the corner there feels cramped and I'm not sure whether it or the buildings are the important part of the shot. Unless the point of the photo is that the van is only a transient, temporary part of the scene and the tension between the van and the apartments and the beautiful sky is the point here...

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 10, 2023

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Another beginner Just Posting was the kick my anxious rear end needed to start putting up a few photos, thanks field balm. I got really into photography on a trip to Japan i november and have been shooting a lot since then, but feel like I still don't really know what I'm doing.

This is from a beach outside Oslo.

P2040059 by QuasiQuack, on Flickr

I bought Understanding Exposure and am nearly through it, and it's really informative. Remembering all of it when I'm exited and scrambling to get a shot is another thing. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately it's not a super complex concept, yeah it's weird at first but after a little while it'll all become muscle memory and you can worry about what everyone else worries about: is this composition any good or am I a complete failure?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Fortunately it's not a super complex concept, yeah it's weird at first but after a little while it'll all become muscle memory and you can worry about what everyone else worries about : is this composition any good or am I a complete failure?

Hmm, should I try shooting this from the other side or should I just go home and cry in the shower?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

What's an artist without a little imposter syndrome

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Kaws

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

been getting used to my new camera, very happy with the colour :)

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

tuyop posted:

I don't think I'm very good but one of the things that I habitually do with almost all my photos is to up the contrast either through curves or with a slider. It's like an exploratory step to try to get the picture to represent the focal point that I had in mind when I shot it.

I really like the van in front of the apartments in your post, so here's how I start out the workflow:

Here's the original, opened in Preview with the "Adjust Color" tool selected.

Right off the top I can see that the image is exposed to give you great detail in the highlights and shadows. What's lacking here is contrast, everything has the same flat, grey aspect because the camera doesn't know what you want to pop out.

Next, I just pull in the level ends so that the extra information at either end of the histogram gets dropped:

If my dad had asked me to touch up one of his snapshots, I may stop at this point just because I know he's not really looking for much more. However, I did lose some detail in the clouds and the roof of the van. I don't mind that but ymmv

Now I adjust the contrast and the midpoint until the van pops even more.

Little bit better but I think this scene should be a bit more... orange. It gives me a vibe of hot parking lot and the temperature is simply too cool for that.

So now I mess with the other sliders. Each change I make I usually confirm that it has a positive effect by wiggling the other sliders a bit. After adjusting the contrast and highlights here, for instance, I brought the right side of the level slider back and forth to see what effect my changes were having on the roof and the clouds.

I turned up the exposure so I could increase the contrast even more (boosting the highlights) without losing shadow detail. I also increased the saturation to give the picture more of that scorching parking lot feel, balanced by trying to bring the temperature cooler to give the sky some contrast. Then a little bit of sepia and sharpness because I liked the result of that.

The image after this little bit of futzing.

With this shot, I would now try to mask off the sky and apply a "dehaze" gradient mask over it to give it some additional drama. Depending on the effect I want I would also try masking off the grass and tree leaves and playing with the saturation and colours on those bits, since they could be either more vibrant or more washed out, depending.

Edit: Oh, I also think the composition would be a bit better if the van was closer to the center of the frame. Having it bunched in the corner there feels cramped and I'm not sure whether it or the buildings are the important part of the shot. Unless the point of the photo is that the van is only a transient, temporary part of the scene and the tension between the van and the apartments and the beautiful sky is the point here...

Thanks so much for showing this step by step process - the explanations of WHY you're doing what you're doing at different steps are much more helpful than a lot of the videos i've watched where they just go "now do this". I assume that is the adobe software your using?

By FAR the most useful part of this was rolling off either end of the spectrum - coming from an audio background this directly translates to high and low passing which has already improved the images i'm working on heaps, without getting into the contrast stuff yet.

The final image looks blown out on my monitor, which has made me realise that's probably something else I'll have to upgrade if I want to take this seriously lol.

Anyway I had a shot at applying some of the stuff suggested, and I think colorwise it came out more accurate and definitely shows more detail.
old:

new:

probably still a little washed out, but definitely an improvement imo.

E: Chucking in another picture of some lizards! I might have made the dark parts in this too light, its really hard to tell lol.

field balm fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 11, 2023

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

One of my first jobs was in a photo shop, so I was exposed to a lot of these old-guard mainly event photographers who poisoned my mind with their lovely ideas about what good photography is, e.g. if you have one pixel overexposed THE PHOTO IS RUINED I TELL YOU

So now, years later, I'm getting into shooting myself and I find that most of my effort goes into unlearning all the bad advice I got over the years. I'm saying this because I was reading tuyop's process and internally going "Jesus christ they are blowing the gently caress out of that camper roof" but then looked at the final photo some time later and was like yeah it has this cool 70's postcard high-saturation film quality to it, cool edit.

My point is just shoot a lot, learn the tech ins and outs of editing of course, but in the end do whatever looks cool to you. It's ultimately about fining your own voice (or eye?).

Unrelated, I went to a cool concert

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Holy smokes, is that Maximum RNR? Maybe it's a different project but I'm 95% sure that bassist is a guy I used to work with named Curtis.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

It's a band called Kadabra, they are from Washington I think.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

tompepper posted:

been getting used to my new camera, very happy with the colour :)

When you gonna give us a review?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

burexas.irom posted:

One of my first jobs was in a photo shop, so I was exposed to a lot of these old-guard mainly event photographers who poisoned my mind with their lovely ideas about what good photography is, e.g. if you have one pixel overexposed THE PHOTO IS RUINED I TELL YOU

So now, years later, I'm getting into shooting myself and I find that most of my effort goes into unlearning all the bad advice I got over the years. I'm saying this because I was reading tuyop's process and internally going "Jesus christ they are blowing the gently caress out of that camper roof" but then looked at the final photo some time later and was like yeah it has this cool 70's postcard high-saturation film quality to it, cool edit.

Thanks for seeing that! And yeah it took me a long long time to accept a less-than-ideal histogram but I have much more fun now and it feels like I’m creating a thing rather than following some rules

field balm posted:

I assume that is the adobe software your using?

E: Chucking in another picture of some lizards! I might have made the dark parts in this too light, its really hard to tell lol.

That’s just Preview on a Mac, I believe the Photos app on Windows has similar controls on the editing “tab”.

Assuming you’re looking for feedback about that shot… I think the most important thing for it is a really tight crop. The contrast looks good to me on the lizard

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like this guy's style

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Citadel Mall-181 by Will King, on Flickr

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Fantastic. Pulled my eyes straight to the dog.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I live in England and spotted this old Dodge while out walking today; uncommon to see outside of car shows and interesting that the plates were never changed suggesting it's never been 'road legal' here.

Dodge Coronet
by Jack R, on Flickr

Rita May
by Jack R, on Flickr

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Love this

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Taken during a lunch-hour stroll today - Nikon D750, 24-120mm @24mm

From yesterday afternoon - Nikon Z30, 16-50mm @16mm

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I got a lava lamp today on a whim and decided to try some abstract poo poo

I like the last one bc it looks like balls :)

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

tompepper fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 8, 2023

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

James Bond 007 Launch Party-68 by Will King, on Flickr

James Bond 007 Launch Party-74 by Will King, on Flickr

James Bond 007 Launch Party-89 by Will King, on Flickr