Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

India got colonized into irrelevancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sagittaire and Penetrator look real nice, and the Banshee 3S's card got some special artwork for the Eridani Light Horse exclusive box. Unfortunately the Banshee mini lacks the jester's cap.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the MPLs are too large on the Sag. Makes the mini look smaller than 95 tons. Torso looks nice though.

Come to think of it that was kind of a problem with TRO: 3067 in general though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Annointed posted:

India got colonized into irrelevancy.

They’re on Sarna in the Capellan Confederation.

As a side note I want to go on the defensive and talk about how diverse and not-pulp-fiction-badguy the CC can be in small amounts, but it would never excuse the bizarre aesthetic the pulp authors continue to keep perpetuating

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

I think the MPLs are too large on the Sag. Makes the mini look smaller than 95 tons. Torso looks nice though.

Come to think of it that was kind of a problem with TRO: 3067 in general though.
Yeah there were an awful lot of huge guns in that book. The Saggitaire is just the worst offender by being a 95 ton mech that looks like it could be anything from 35 tons up.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sagittaire and Penetrator look real nice, and the Banshee 3S's card got some special artwork for the Eridani Light Horse exclusive box. Unfortunately the Banshee mini lacks the jester's cap.

Which pack (or preview?) did the Sagittaire end up in?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

They’re on Sarna in the Capellan Confederation.

Also the Bolan region and the Principality of Regulus.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah there were an awful lot of huge guns in that book. The Saggitaire is just the worst offender by being a 95 ton mech that looks like it could be anything from 35 tons up.

I gotta give most disproportional guns to the Ninja-to. "Hey how big is an ER Large Laser?" "I dunno, literally as big as you can make a gun?"

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 11, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Am I crazy for thinking that the upcoming unified Battlefield Support rules combined with the Battlemech Manual kind of sets up a 'middle path' between "Alpha Strike" on one end and "Total Warfare + as many additional sourcebooks as you want to throw into the blender" on the other? It seems like a smart move - CGL get to present a much clearer to understand set of 'core' rules to new players in the BMM with the battlefield support rules and easy expansion when/if they want it, but also doesn't risk alienating long time players who want to keep using the full Total Warfare stuff.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Which pack (or preview?) did the Sagittaire end up in?

It's in the Eridani Light Horse pack.

Penetrator's in the Hanson's Roughrider's pack.

Kell Hounds get the Nightsky.

Northwind Highlanders get the Gunslinger.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ah right.

I already picked up the Penetrator since the Hansen's pack was on display at the LGS.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've got a Wolf Beta Galaxy Cluster I'm painting up, and got the first one finished today. Doing some new things with the front hexside and decals. I'm pretty happy with it! 19 'Mechs and a star of Elementals to go for the initial group:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or some malicious compliance on the part of an SLDF staff officer.

"What did you want to call this one again? Ok, ok, yeah. I got it. Tripitz it is."

I am still of the opinion the reason the standard nuclear weapons are named Davy Crockett/Alamo/Santa Ana in ascending order of explosive power was because of someone in procurement who wanted to tweak the nose of Texans :D.

Libluini posted:

this would have ended in that last First Lord getting committed for insanity, it's not like the Star League was a 100% autocratic system where the Space Czar can just do anything they want, the great houses would have that fucker decapitated for doing something on this level of stupid

The great house lords can see stupid leadership all the time by just turning their monitors off, I doubt a moron merely ranting about what to name a ship he's paying for would rate much notice.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

I am still of the opinion the reason the standard nuclear weapons are named Davy Crockett/Alamo/Santa Ana in ascending order of explosive power was because of someone in procurement who wanted to tweak the nose of Texans :D.

The great house lords can see stupid leadership all the time by just turning their monitors off, I doubt a moron merely ranting about what to name a ship he's paying for would rate much notice.

I dunno about the Alamo and Santa Ana nukes, but reading the description, the Battletech Davy Crockett is basically the Cold War Davy Crockett

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Arquinsiel posted:

One of the reasons I'm painting up some Arano Royal Guard right now is I like the idea of a polity where Samoan and Urdu are languages that all government documents need to be published in.

Err what? Can you go into more detail because I did NOT recall seeing that in the computer game??

Sound awesome though.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've always viewed it as: the New Avalon Catholic Church was on the verge of breaking away over policy reasons anyway (such as: allowing priests to marry and allowing women to be priests, both important given how frontier a lot of Davion space is) and the "misunderstood phone call" was just a convenient excuse.

They pushed through a lot of their policy changes almost immediately after breaking away. Like, the phone call wasn't even over before the New Avalon Pope had a 'priests can marry' doctrine finished and signed.

They misunderstood it in the same kssschk kssschk--orry going int--kssshck--space tunnel an--kssschk kssschk--you back once--kssschk ksschk--civil war is over.

That's a fair enough interpretation, given that the 'garbled phone call' excuse comes directly out of the House Davion sourcebook.

Comstar posted:

Err what? Can you go into more detail because I did NOT recall seeing that in the computer game??

Sound awesome though.

House Arano Handbook, you can buy it by itself, there was also a humble bundle where you could get it + 30 other books for like 30 bux.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 11, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have played the two scenarios in the Alpha Strike box. This game is exactly what I want in a fast-paced stompy robot game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have played the two scenarios in the Alpha Strike box. This game is exactly what I want in a fast-paced stompy robot game.

Wait until it’s a 10v10 brawl :getin:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

I've got a Wolf Beta Galaxy Cluster I'm painting up, and got the first one finished today. Doing some new things with the front hexside and decals. I'm pretty happy with it! 19 'Mechs and a star of Elementals to go for the initial group:

Looking good! Did you follow the Duncan Rhodes tutorial? He did the same model and scheme.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

Also the Bolan region and the Principality of Regulus.

I gotta give most disproportional guns to the Ninja-to. "Hey how big is an ER Large Laser?" "I dunno, literally as big as you can make a gun?"
I guess they were always intended to be PPCs?

Strobe posted:

I like what you've done with the hexside here. Pretty and functional.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Looking good! Did you follow the Duncan Rhodes tutorial? He did the same model and scheme.

I hadn't seen that tutorial yet. I've been trying to figure out how I want to paint my Mad Cat and I think I'll follow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HARE4yzVK8k

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Marx Headroom posted:

I did not, haven't watched it. This was two coats Skeleton Horde contrast for the top, one coat Basilicanum Grey contrast for the bottom, Teclis Blue for the cockpit and weapons.

If you're at all careful with pooling on contrast it feels like cheating. And the whole thing from primer to finish (for the paint itself, not the base or decals) took maybe 30 minutes.

Arquinsiel posted:

I like what you've done with the hexside here. Pretty and functional.

Thank you! The plastic bases take paint well and I like tying it into the unit scheme. I would probably put another Wolf decal on it but I don't have enough spares yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Made it into my lgs to play with the owner before they opened. We did two games of the beginner box 1v1 scenario switching mechs so we each got a shot with the miniature.

The beginner rules were pretty quick and clear with it being pretty smooth overall, definitely need to get set dice to represent the walk/run/jump for the next game.

Both ended after a headshot from a PPC

We're aiming to try again next Saturday and punch some standees to go 2v2 but we did have a good time

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What are people's thoughts on actually using the Alpha Strike unit cards? They're super nice and I have a million of them, but can I use dry erase directly on the cards? Are there recommended sleeves? Should I just make PDFs for when I'm actually playing?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

What are people's thoughts on actually using the Alpha Strike unit cards? They're super nice and I have a million of them, but can I use dry erase directly on the cards? Are there recommended sleeves? Should I just make PDFs for when I'm actually playing?

The Alpha Strike cards that come with the lance boxes should work with dry erase markers, while the ones that come with at least AGOAC and the Beginner Box (dunno about Clan Invasion) don’t. If you have those cards handy, you’ll see the difference if you compare them - the ones that have a glossy finish are the ones you can scribble on.

In my one Alpha Strike game I printed most of my force on PDF (because I brought vehicles too) but then switched some units around and ended up using some of the cards anyway. I just put the cards in one of the clear sheet protectors I use with record sheets.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 12, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
In other news, after my six year old saw me playing Alpha Strike yesterday, he has informed me that he will not be joining in that version ever because it's "too easy" and "not real Battletech".

He then came up to me after dinner and said that he had designed his own mech, but it was "pretty OP".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Atlas Hugged posted:

In other news, after my six year old saw me playing Alpha Strike yesterday, he has informed me that he will not be joining in that version ever because it's "too easy" and "not real Battletech".

He then came up to me after dinner and said that he had designed his own mech, but it was "pretty OP".

good job raising a grognard. whats his mech called?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Owlbear Camus posted:

good job raising a grognard. whats his mech called?

"Energy Ray Version-X". It has an "energy ray pulse attack" that turns off the electricity in other mechs.

Edit: He's added an er ppc, a heavy large laser, and a streak lrm-20.

Edit 2: And thousands of armor points. The internal armor has 1800 armor points. And it doesn't cost any heat to use its weapons. "It's a cool mech. It has no heat and is unstoppable."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TSEMP is broken alright :hai:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
He described it as the saucer from the Enterprise with legs and nothing can hit it.

I miss being 6 and all of this just being obvious and cool.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hes right :haibrower:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are movement dice/dials actually worth getting? They're ballpark $30 but feel real useful though that could just be because we're still new and learning things

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The movement dice is one of the top 3 best purchases I've made for this game, yes they're worth it. CGL should pay the etsy guy some kind of royalties and start shipping those dice with box sets.

Edit here's one of the other top purchases: a line of sight laser pointer
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/amytl5046.html

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 12, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Len posted:

Are movement dice/dials actually worth getting? They're ballpark $30 but feel real useful though that could just be because we're still new and learning things

Just use different colors of D6 than what you’re rolling for damage. Mine are walk: white, jump: black, run: lol I don’t ever run, that means less shooting 🧐

I think there’s an actual suggestion somewhere in the alpha strike rule book, but idk what page it would be on.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Len posted:

You absolutely want something to avoid the "wait did this guy move 4 or remain stationary" thing.

At a minimum do the different colored dice thing. Arguably the biggest state-memory problem of the game is movement phase activity effecting attack modifiers.

I like the bespoke dice my gal got me as a gift because they have the movement amount and the modifiers right on the dice making it easy.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just use different colors of D6 than what you’re rolling for damage. Mine are walk: white, jump: black, run: lol I don’t ever run, that means less shooting 🧐

I think there’s an actual suggestion somewhere in the alpha strike rule book, but idk what page it would be on.

The AGOAC recommendation is white for walk, black for run, red for jump. There's also yellow dice in the pack I got but I think that's an Alpha Strike only thing.
My LGS had tiny d6es in the appropriate colors for like, 9 bucks for ~8 of each.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have a bunch of tiny dice I used for movement modifiers long ago. Also used them for an artillery barrage

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been using D4s for over decade now. There's very little chance of them being picked up and even less chance of them accidentally being knocked over. I know some people really liked the teeny D6 that came with the Wizkids Pirates game in the long ago because they fit on top of the mech bases, and at some point Flying Tiger had a little plastic jar of a hundred or so for like €2 which I bought intending to use for the same purposes but then I lost it because the whole thing is seriously tiny.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Len posted:

Is that from Laserquill designs? Yes. Yes they are, especially since they did a custom tin for me. Boiii

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I haven’t used them but to me the bespoke movement dice with all of the modifiers on em look a bit too busy and the numbers too small compared to regular D6 where you can see the pips at a glance. Maybe I’m totally wrong there though?

Sort of related, I got one set of those fancy Q-Workshop faction dice because, well, I wanted one set of them and jeez they’re basically totally unusable. Just way too busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just use different colored dice for type of move and set the value to the distance modifier plus any cover they're standing in.