Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I am uptight about the WYSIWYG of my own miniatures but I wouldn’t wish my raging neuroses on anyone else and it’s foreign to me when people are like that. I am fortunate enough to have a good enough memory to remember when someone says “these are swords over here”, but I also see no problem with just using squad markers or markings of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Would it be Kosher to just have Color Coded Stands when it comes to infantry blocks to make it easier to not which units are which?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Annointed posted:

Would it be Kosher to just have Color Coded Stands when it comes to infantry blocks to make it easier to not which units are which?

Absolutely. I like anything that makes the game easier to read and you've gone to the effort.

I prefer WYSIWYG and try to do it, but I'm not going to magnetise 40 witch elves (lmao) or paint 80 of them so they can use a buckler in one game and knives in the next.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Expect a price raise next month.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/09/pricing-update/

quote:

The average change for plastic kits is about 6%. As an example of what you can expect, a Battle Sisters Squad goes up £1.50 from £36 to £37.50.

quote:

What is changing:
Plastic miniatures
Forge World and Citadel resin miniatures
Standard and Artificer Citadel brushes
Spray paints

What is not changing:
Starter sets
Paint sets
Paint pots
Citadel Tools
Codexes, rulebooks and battletomes
Synthetic STC brushes

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
GW this hobby makes me poor enough

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lucinice posted:

GW this hobby makes me poor enough

I know it's another hobby but moving to 3d printing has been such a money saver for me. There's a model for almost anything out there.
Not everyone has the time and space of course.

Edit: I'm half awake, you probably weren't being literal lol

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I know it's another hobby but moving to 3d printing has been such a money saver for me. There's a model for almost anything out there.
Not everyone has the time and space of course.

Edit: I'm half awake, you probably weren't being literal lol

I want to get a 3d printer some day for terrain. I don't know if I'll get one for minis because one of the only places around me I can play is an official GW store.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I did mix of GW and 3d printing for soulblight - it does cheapen quite an expensive army and there is truckload of great alternative sculpts (especialy for old garbage). For SCE its an issue as there is not a lot of that.

I do have to outsource printing itself to another guy so it does not come that much cheaper in the end

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

3d printing is a separate hobby, I gave up on it because I just don't have the free time to invest in it

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lucinice posted:

I want to get a 3d printer some day for terrain. I don't know if I'll get one for minis because one of the only places around me I can play is an official GW store.

the 3D printers that are good for terrain are a lot safer and easier to use than the ones that do minis. Especially if you have kids/pets, a spool of rolled up plastic is less of a concern than a dangerous liquid that can easily spill.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Just realized that half of the factions in AOS were "born on a mountain, raised in a cave"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

But how are they on the trucking and loving scales though?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kharadron Overlords do a bit of trucking. Not sure about the loving.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well outside of the usual suspects I suppose.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Nobody in AoS (or 40k for that matter) fucks. It's so absent it becomes a glaring omission.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Everything about Skaven with their "breeders" is the worst. I go out of my way to ignore it.

I just prefer my Skaven to be a healthy mix of male and female psychotic, vaguely competent ratfolk.

Besides this gives me more opportunity for good rat puns with one of my Grey Seers being Mrs. BrisBANE from Secret of NiMH.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Surpraisingly two instances of loving I've come across in AoS books were a) stormcast eternals b) avengori vampires

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

MinistryofLard posted:

Nobody in AoS (or 40k for that matter) fucks. It's so absent it becomes a glaring omission.

40K at least has the same excuse as Japan, 80 hour work weeks

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

In the grimdark future there is only Crunch Culture

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

They don't have that Sigmar grindset

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I'm not even talking about slaaneshi bullshit or weird skaven stuff because obviously a tabletop game setting doesn't need that, but AoS has a glaring lack of any kind of romantic or even familial attachment whatsoever in a way that even Warhammer fantasy didn't. Love and attraction just doesn't exist in the Mortal Realms.

Sigmar is incredibly desexed in ways that rule out a core driver in almost all fiction.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I don't see how that is true since various sexual/romantic relationships pop up across novels (storm golem, covens of blood, dynasty of monsters, tainted heart of the top of my mind and I haven't even read that many). Bah even lumineth battletome had one story blurb point to relationship between two soldiers (i think it was even same sex)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MinistryofLard posted:

Morathi fucks (over everyone in the setting and gets away with it).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

40K at least has the same excuse as Japan, 80 hour work weeks

Funny enough I can't think of at least two instances of loving in 40k books.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I can think of one reference to a space marine having a massive hog, but nothing about loving.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Count Thrashula posted:

I can think of one reference to a space marine having a massive hog, but nothing about loving.

lol that the chemically castrated space marines gently caress more than the "Hedonites"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Should be noted that when someone made a lewd comment at him, he got massively confused about it.
And when his squad leader explained the joke to him, he still didn't get it.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Worth of note is that at least one fyreslayer story has reference to foot fetish.

Also apperently deepkin gently caress a lot but that is mostly to pop out healthy babies

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

Everything about Skaven with their "breeders" is the worst. I go out of my way to ignore it.

I just prefer my Skaven to be a healthy mix of male and female psychotic, vaguely competent ratfolk.

Besides this gives me more opportunity for good rat puns with one of my Grey Seers being Mrs. BrisBANE from Secret of NiMH.

One Page Rules has all their Ratfolk available as both male or female, and I think their sculpts are nice as well. The difference between their male and female rat-folk is just the heads, making it a little hard to tell the difference, but that seems reasonable given that they are rats, and it is nice to see a company do female figures without slapping on boobs as the defining feature.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, their male rats have slightly larger cheek tufts.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Do the new books even talk about where skaven come from? I thought the whole breeder thing was the old world. I always thought that if conditions allowed for it in the mortal realms, skaven just appear.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If they're mentioned, it's as a one off sentence. I can't recall any real discussion of where Skaven come from other than "they live in the literal Realm of Chaos."

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

Funny enough I can't think of at least two instances of loving in 40k books.

Any of the Ciaphas Cain stories will fix that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Any of the Ciaphas Cain stories will fix that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I was actually thinking of Necropolis and Draco in this case.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

IncredibleIgloo posted:

One Page Rules has all their Ratfolk available as both male or female, and I think their sculpts are nice as well. The difference between their male and female rat-folk is just the heads, making it a little hard to tell the difference, but that seems reasonable given that they are rats, and it is nice to see a company do female figures without slapping on boobs as the defining feature.

Yeah, I have a friend following their roll out closely and I've already offered to buy the materials to print out all their rats. Even if they tend to be a bit high fantasy than the grungy Skaven, I think their sculpts are fantastic. I may not use them all in my army as some of them look a bit too Redwall to integrate, I still want them as a fun painting project. I'm glad to hear they have both genders as I do think its the way to go. I've done a bunch of head swaps with my Guard to have more female characters and I got a bunch of heads for my 30k Dark Angels to do in time (because gently caress the gender divide).

But yeah, One Page has been shown off some incredible stuff. The Warlord on the Fox mount was awesome.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Crazy Ferret posted:

Yeah, I have a friend following their roll out closely and I've already offered to buy the materials to print out all their rats. Even if they tend to be a bit high fantasy than the grungy Skaven, I think their sculpts are fantastic. I may not use them all in my army as some of them look a bit too Redwall to integrate, I still want them as a fun painting project. I'm glad to hear they have both genders as I do think its the way to go. I've done a bunch of head swaps with my Guard to have more female characters and I got a bunch of heads for my 30k Dark Angels to do in time (because gently caress the gender divide).

But yeah, One Page has been shown off some incredible stuff. The Warlord on the Fox mount was awesome.

Yeah the OPR rats are baller as hell, I'm working on their "Deathmaster" model right now

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

I particularly like the heavy weapons team for the ratmen because they these cute little regular rat assistants helping them load the mortar, or hold the hose, or whatever.

I have collected GW's product lines for like 30 years now and have always enjoyed them, but never really cared for some of the over the top aesthetic choices. They seem to ask "Will this model look better with a skull? No? OK, add 2 anyway". "Would this model look better with a skull? Yes, ok, add 10". It is so over the top for me in some of the armies that I enjoy that there now exists some alternative sculpts that are a little angsty. I do think that AoS/WHFB suffers less from this aesthetic than 40k though. But I used to have Brettonians so I am probably not the typical GW enthusiasts.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

I hope this answers any outstanding questions.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Do the new books even talk about where skaven come from? I thought the whole breeder thing was the old world. I always thought that if conditions allowed for it in the mortal realms, skaven just appear.
Yeah, it's mentioned in a Fyreslayers short story where they invade a Skaven warren and find some breeding females and in the novel Stormvault there is a Skaven POV character who remembers being a baby and having to trick his siblings into eating eachother instead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah the OPR rats are baller as hell, I'm working on their "Deathmaster" model right now

This owns. Nicely done