Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's a lot of infected :suspense:

e: drat, sad show is sad :(

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn what a episode.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
loving zombie show making me cry again.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yes, this show is drat good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hate protect quests.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My wife balled her eyes out, cursed the show, then immediately got pissed off when she realized we'd have to wait until the 19th for the next episode.

This show is going places.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Great episode. Episode 4 was a setup episode that absolutely paid off this week, which will make me look back on it a lot more kindly than I otherwise would have.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This show is so good holy poo poo. My heart is still racing through the credits.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The minute you see that sinkhole open up, why don’t you gtfo immediately

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The minute you see that sinkhole open up, why don’t you gtfo immediately
These aren't the brightest bulbs. See, e.g., why they're there in the first place.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

These people haven't seen infected in 15 years. They may have been overconfident.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i wasn't as cold towards bella ramsey as some folks were at the beginning of the series, but she also didn't grab me in the first couple of episodes. since episode 3 i've been liking her performance so much i wonder if the scripts for the first two episodes just weren't giving her the right material to work with

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i wasn't as cold towards bella ramsey as some folks were at the beginning of the series, but she also didn't grab me in the first couple of episodes. since episode 3 i've been liking her performance so much i wonder if the scripts for the first two episodes just weren't giving her the right material to work with
I've had the same reactions - I wasn't initially impressed with her performance, but she's killing it now. Co-starring with Pedro Pascal and stealing the scenes.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
As soon as I saw they cast the cutest kid possible for Sam... oh no.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Thundercracker posted:

As soon as I saw they cast the cutest kid possible for Sam... oh no.

The story Mazin tells on the podcast about finding him is really good. He took to twitter to find an actor that fit the role and still only had like five kids audition and one of them turned out to be excellent.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This is just Emotional Damage: The Show. The bits they show at the beginning (or in episode 3 basically the entire episode) showing the "before", whatever "before" serves the story, sets an emotional tone and then they just bludgeon you with it. Devastating.

Bella Ramsey is absolutely electric.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Joel has a loving idiosyncratic definition of “sneak around the back” considering he decided to basically just full-tilt run in an arc at that sniper.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Tom Tucker posted:

Bella Ramsey is absolutely electric.

Agreed, just a really great performance, in these last two episodes in particular.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

BlackIronHeart posted:

Agreed, just a really great performance, in these last two episodes in particular.

Still amazed that there were people saying the quiet part out loud about how a 14-year-old (or the actress portraying one, at any rate) wasn't hot enough. gently caress you guys, she's been great in the role and has solid chemistry with Pascal

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The way she pulled the gun from her pocket instead of her backpack had me dying. Her face was so funny. Also, about how Joel has an rear end in a top hat voice. She's really good.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The potshot over her shoulder at the killdozer chasing her was viking AF.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Sam was really good, drat.

The middle bit with Lady Leader (I only call her that because I can't remember her name offhand) was like.. okay. It did the legwork just fine of giving the 2-episode villain juuust enough motivation that makes juuuust enough sense along with understanding juuuust enough why the people follow her. That's the thinnest the show's been for me so far.

Everything else was loving phenomenal though.

Oh, I did get a chuckle especially considering people pointing out the ballistics and acoustic situation of firing a pistol in a small box.. then we have a small concrete room where at least half a dozen people are blasting off rifles and shotguns in a 40x40-ish space.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Yeah that was a very good episode, definitely my favorite so far and makes up for that bullshit 45 minute episode last week. Count me among the people that were lukewarm on Bella Ramsey but I'm fully bought in now. I was worried that her putting blood on the wound was going to heal it but thank god the show didn't go that route. Looking extremely forward to the next episode and the rest of the season.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also, i usually don't find zombie shows scary, but that infected little girl climbing through the window and loving pop and locking around the seats was horrifying

and on reflection i've been enjoying this series, but man a second person killing themselves after losing the person closest to them is really loving bleak. i kind of hope they don't pull that card out again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the pascal resting bitch face scene was loving hilarious

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I was a bit wary after the first two episodes, then episode three hooked me on the show, and I was totally on board with episode four and this one right up until the climactic sequence. What was a well-constructed, tense narrative then devolved into a ridiculous sequence of stupid cliches and tropes.

Old guy sitting in a house in the dark who saw Joel moving his way but somehow doesn't hear him coming up the creaky stairs or try in any serious way to defend himself. Joel's gun jams until just the right moment to hit the driver of the truck. No infected in the tunnels they use, but they're somehow completely filling other tunnels and digging up through the earth. Then they pop up at the most convenient moment, interrupting the main antagonist just as she's about to kill a protagonist. Then a literal boss zombie appears and heads right for the main antagonist. Then in the mayhem all the main characters somehow survive and manage to reunite. Then right when the antagonist is again about to kill them, yet another zombie kills her.

I can't remember the last time I encountered such a drop in quality between the buildup of a narrative and its climax. It makes me a lot less willing now to trust that the show runners know what they're doing for the rest of the season.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
There is always one isn't there?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
You're not entirely wrong, but there are justifications for some of what you found problematic. The old man was pretty clearly in 'suicide by cop' mode and had no interest in stopping Joel once he got close enough. The group of infected — all clickers — were attracted to the area because they heard/felt the explosion. The bloater went straight for the main threat it found, which was the guy emptying a rifle directly into its face who happened to be trying to protect the main antagonist.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Toaster Beef posted:

You're not entirely wrong, but there are justifications for some of what you found problematic. The old man was pretty clearly in 'suicide by cop' mode and had no interest in stopping Joel once he got close enough. The group of infected — all clickers — were attracted to the area because they heard/felt the explosion. The bloater went straight for the main threat it found, which was the guy emptying a rifle directly into its face who happened to be trying to protect the main antagonist.

The old man didn't even bother turning to the door, despite obviously being able to see and hear Joel coming. That makes no sense. I'm sure his orders weren't to pin them down and then literally sit there awaiting his death. Would it have been so hard for him to have a shootout with Joel as he tries to enter the house?

Yes, I picked up that the infected were attracted to the explosion, but having them suddenly tunnel up through the earth like a scene from Tremors was ridiculous. And it wasn't like the group of them was quiet in the tunnels.

The bloater emerged into a crowd of people shooting wildly in every direction, including at it. It was just dumb movie logic for it to cut through the crowd to kill Kathleen's bodyguard.

I like a lot about the show (including the ending scenes after the climax), and I'm definitely invested in the story now, but I'm just baffled that people thought that sequence was anything other than silly. It's like it was from a completely different show from the pared-down, incredibly tense shootout in the laundromat from last episode. I actually laughed out loud in this episode when after all the other cliches Kathleen corners them as they try to get away only for a zombie perched right behind her to jump on and kill her as she turns around--the ultimate B-movie action scene cliche.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
They should've hired me to rewrite the action scenes.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Kathleen's crew were a bunch of amateurs rather than hardened killers. And I'm really glad they removed that invulnerable Humvee that stalks Joel and Ellie through the entire section of the game, that thing was silly, it behaved more like a demon powered by blood sacrifices.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MeinPanzer posted:

The old man didn't even bother turning to the door, despite obviously being able to see and hear Joel coming. That makes no sense. I'm sure his orders weren't to pin them down and then literally sit there awaiting his death. Would it have been so hard for him to have a shootout with Joel as he tries to enter the house?

I'm just focusing on this one because we clearly have a difference of opinion about how the other stuff gets interpreted but this was specifically talked about in the podcast. The old man has absolutely no interest in surviving. He has no intent to actually fight Joel because he's perfectly okay with Joel killing him. He's done. He's seen too much and he wants out.

It's kind of funny to me that you're complaining about the rest of the scene being a bunch of cliches while clamoring for this one particular moment to have more cliches.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

Additionally, Kathleen's death by infected was perfectly set up because she's obsessed with revenge to the point of ignoring both her own personal safety and the entire group's. It's only a cliché if it happens out of nowhere, while here it's the culmination of a theme that ran across two episodes.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm just focusing on this one because we clearly have a difference of opinion about how the other stuff gets interpreted but this was specifically talked about in the podcast. The old man has absolutely no interest in surviving. He has no intent to actually fight Joel because he's perfectly okay with Joel killing him. He's done. He's seen too much and he wants out.

That's not made evident from the scene, though it's very convenient for the narrative, I guess. If that was the intention of the show runners, I don't think it translated very well.

quote:

It's kind of funny to me that you're complaining about the rest of the scene being a bunch of cliches while clamoring for this one particular moment to have more cliches.

The cliche of... a sniper shooting at a bunch of people actually trying to defend himself when one of those people runs up and tries to kill him?

I think my problem might be that I hoped the show would make its action scenes as thoughtful and nuanced as the rest of its drama. This just came across as a mishmash of hamfisted and trite video game and cinematic elements.

quote:

Additionally, Kathleen's death by infected was perfectly set up because she's obsessed with revenge to the point of ignoring both her own personal safety and the entire group's. It's only a cliché if it happens out of nowhere, while here it's the culmination of a theme that ran across two episodes.

I'm not critical of her dying, just the incredibly cliched way in which they had it happen.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I liked the episode but I did :lol: at the dumbest sniper in the world who had nothing and no one there to stop his target from walking up behind him.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The bloater didn't go right for Kathleen, it went for Pierce, because Pierce stepped up and put a full mag of accurate fire into its head. Everyone else was just wildly spraying.

Thought the old man's lack of caring about his own death was extremely obvious because of the way he acts when Joel enters the room, the way he looks in general, the radio message about "just hold them at little longer", and the way he doesn't really have any plan to defend against someone doing what Joel did. It's all congruent if you pay attention to what the story is trying to say instead of inserting your own assumptions.

The whole scene where he gives Joel that look and Joel begs him not to make him shoot him is what that's all about.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I’m guessing the ogre zombie was a final boss in the game?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MeinPanzer posted:

The cliche of... a sniper shooting at a bunch of people actually trying to defend himself when one of those people runs up and tries to kill him?

I imagine you were expecting the same exact thing I was expecting, which was likely the same thing just about everybody was expecting in that moment, which was a firefight between Joel and the sniper (or a lookout, etc.). Maybe cliche's not the best word for it, but the show subverted what we were expecting (trope, cliche, whatever) by making it pretty clear the sniper had absolutely no interest in defending himself.

Jarmak posted:

The bloater didn't go right for Kathleen, it went for Pierce, because Pierce stepped up and put a full mag of accurate fire into its head. Everyone else was just wildly spraying.

Thought the old man's lack of caring about his own death was extremely obvious because of the way he acts when Joel enters the room, the way he looks in general, the radio message about "just hold them at little longer", and the way he doesn't really have any plan to defend against someone doing what Joel did. It's all congruent if you pay attention to what the story is trying to say instead of inserting your own assumptions.

The whole scene where he gives Joel that look and Joel begs him not to make him shoot him is what that's all about.

Yeah, all of this.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 11, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m guessing the ogre zombie was a final boss in the game?

More like a miniboss that turns up occasionally. The game doesn't really have bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I found it weird that the regular zombies are hungry and tend to try and eat people but the big zombie seemed out for blood more than anything. I wonder if the fungus covered its mouth