Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
if untrained psykers are so dangerous and show up in every population then why are they still finding uncontacted planets in 40k? they might be back street psychics, card readers or shamans but they exist, so it makes no sense that theyre all timebombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

if untrained psykers are so dangerous and show up in every population then why are they still finding uncontacted planets in 40k? they might be back street psychics, card readers or shamans but they exist, so it makes no sense that theyre all timebombs.

Because they just shoot them in the back of the head and move on? It's not like those planets don't know the risks as well as then imperium.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
There's plenty of lore about planets that have past chaos worship in their history, and plenty more about various folkways that mitigated the risk of psykers. I know Fire Caste dealt explicitly with both. Which is also why the Imperium is bad - there may very well be ways to make psykers less of a risk to themselves and their neighbors but the Imperium would never try them even if they were more effective than how they currently do things.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nuclear War posted:

it's almost like they might not all actually be timebombs every time

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mikojan posted:

Didn't expect Alpharius to be so short of a book. Now I need something else to keep me busy till Abnett's siege.

Anything that is a good recommendation that had come out this last year?

I just finished Assasinorun: Kingmaker. That's one of the best BL books of the last few years. It's got a team of assassins from different temples with interesting personalities and unstable team dynamics. The mission and its resolution go hilariously to poo poo, leaving a much worse crisis to deal with. There's a lot of intrigue and political chicanery going on in the Knightly order involved, and a lot of good combat scenes both small-scale and massive knight battles. Book slaps, sequel when?

Same author as The Infinite and the Divine, Rath has landed with a big splash. If Grumpy Old Men but Necrons is more your thing, read that instead. Both novels are excellent.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Improbable Lobster posted:

Enslavers are stated and have demonstrated to be able to turn pretty much any psychic being into a warp portal, and those just float around in the warp till they find a host.

Sanctioned Pyskers are marginally better at not getting turned in a portal due to the whole soulbond thing.

habeasdorkus posted:

There's plenty of lore about planets that have past chaos worship in their history, and plenty more about various folkways that mitigated the risk of psykers. I know Fire Caste dealt explicitly with both. Which is also why the Imperium is bad - there may very well be ways to make psykers less of a risk to themselves and their neighbors but the Imperium would never try them even if they were more effective than how they currently do things.

Im almost positive you are talking about the witch in firecaste. The one that had the literal giant viking minder who followed her around with explicit instructions to decapitate her if she went warp crazy. This practice is also heavily encouraged by the Imperium (because it's literally what they do with commisars)

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 11, 2023

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Telsa Cola posted:

Enslavers are stated and have demonstrated to be able to turn pretty much any psychic being into a warp portal, and those just float around in the warp till they find a host.

Sanctioned Pyskers are marginally better at not getting turned in a portal due to the whole soulbond thing.

And therefore...?

The Imperium doesn't have a monopoly on keeping psykers and their abilities in check. They went to war with far more enlightened and advanced civilizations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

S.J. posted:

And therefore...?

The Imperium doesn't have a monopoly on keeping psykers and their abilities in check. They went to war with far more enlightened and advanced civilizations.

If a enslaver is able to turn any human psyker into a warp portal then that's pretty solid evidence that every human psyker is potentially a time bomb that can doom a planet.

Feel free to provide examples of how these human societies dealt with psykers then?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Telsa Cola posted:

If a enslaver is able to turn any human psyker into a warp portal then that's pretty solid evidence that every human psyker is potentially a time bomb that can doom a planet.

Feel free to provide examples of how these human societies dealt with psykers then?

they put the interex in there specifically for this purpose

are you one of those 'the imperium is justified' weirdoes?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they put the interex in there specifically for this purpose

are you one of those 'the imperium is justified' weirdoes?

IIRC the interex have zero mention of psykers, we literally do not know how they dealt with them. The interex was put in as a foil to the whole xenocidal nature of the IoM.

IMO a better faction to chose is the Tau since they have a bunch of human planets and a fairly large human population but it's also never really discussed.

I'm more one of those "40k started as satire but in the decades since the authors have completely written themselves into a corner in regards to that claim by overexplaining things and protaganist syndrome " weridos.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 11, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I just finished Assasinorun: Kingmaker. That's one of the best BL books of the last few years. It's got a team of assassins from different temples with interesting personalities and unstable team dynamics. The mission and its resolution go hilariously to poo poo, leaving a much worse crisis to deal with. There's a lot of intrigue and political chicanery going on in the Knightly order involved, and a lot of good combat scenes both small-scale and massive knight battles. Book slaps, sequel when?

Same author as The Infinite and the Divine, Rath has landed with a big splash. If Grumpy Old Men but Necrons is more your thing, read that instead. Both novels are excellent.

Oh Ive read the necron one, thanks I'll def give it a look. Can't be worse than Nemesis right?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Improbable Lobster posted:

An authoritarian government vastly inflating, or outright inventing, a risk posed by a minority group in order to justify further oppression, you say?

I feel like I've heard this one before somewhere.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mikojan posted:

Oh Ive read the necron one, thanks I'll def give it a look. Can't be worse than Nemesis right?

Kingmaker is good. If Eisenhorn is a 10 then it would be a very solid 8.

Nemesis is probably in the negative numbers by it's reputation here.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I’m about to get to Nemesis. Wish me luck.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

CottonWolf posted:

I’m about to get to Nemesis. Wish me luck.

Good luck, it's fun. Everyone else can go suck a baneblade.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

It helps if you imagine the assasins on the ship being in a reality TV show and theyre all angsty instagram teenagers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

Soulbinding is an astropath thing IIRC

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Which reminds me of another point.

No new Astropaths in the Imperium Nihilus.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pretty sure Imperium Nihilus is gonna end up being a vehicle for a good/bad Imperium split. Nihilus will be the good Imperium.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Demiurge4 posted:

Pretty sure Imperium Nihilus is gonna end up being a vehicle for a good/bad Imperium split. Nihilus will be the good Imperium.

I'm thinking (or hoping, at least) that they're going to establish Imperium Nihilus as being the wild west clusterfuck that much of the Imperium was characterised as in the Rogue Trader era. The vaguest pretense of Imperial control, painted over what is actually a constant swirling bar room brawl with loyalists and chaos and xenos and separatists smashing chairs and tables over each other's heads all day every day forever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I'm thinking (or hoping, at least) that they're going to establish Imperium Nihilus as being the wild west clusterfuck that much of the Imperium was characterised as in the Rogue Trader era. The vaguest pretense of Imperial control, painted over what is actually a constant swirling bar room brawl with loyalists and chaos and xenos and separatists smashing chairs and tables over each other's heads all day every day forever.

Ah yes the Looney Tunes sector

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think Wrath and Glory, the 40k RPG game is canonically set in Nihilus.

Presumably there's setting stuff in there, but I haven't looked at it (although I'm an RPG guy) yet.

I know the whole 'Yo, everythings hosed!' thing is the excuse why disparate parties of PC's can end up together rather than the 'Everybodies a Astartes/Guardsman/etc' of the FFG games.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Fire Caste

The Knight failing was heartbreaking

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Which reminds me of another point.

No new Astropaths in the Imperium Nihilus.

Yes and this was something obvious I have been wondering for quite a while why GW wasn't really acknowledging it in the lore but it's a problem featured in the new Angron book so somebody caught on.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/HorrorHammer1/status/1624470823628054529?s=20&t=vHyfJ9oAeAMKF6DavlI5jA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i feel alot better about my habits now(also because i also work)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Deptfordx posted:

I think Wrath and Glory, the 40k RPG game is canonically set in Nihilus.

Presumably there's setting stuff in there, but I haven't looked at it (although I'm an RPG guy) yet.

I know the whole 'Yo, everythings hosed!' thing is the excuse why disparate parties of PC's can end up together rather than the 'Everybodies a Astartes/Guardsman/etc' of the FFG games.

The other RPG, Imperium Maledictum, that’s coming out in about a month is much more my speed. It’s basically WHFR 4th ed crossed with Dark Heresy. It’s not Nihilus though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel alot better about my habits now(also because i also work)

Which Warhammer army would Cushing have chosen to buy?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Do you not get that the fiction is written from the perspective of the Imperium, or...?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

The other RPG, Imperium Maledictum, that’s coming out in about a month is much more my speed. It’s basically WHFR 4th ed crossed with Dark Heresy. It’s not Nihilus though.

I hadn't realised it was so soon.

Isn't using the WFRP 4th* as a base, repeating the same mistake as WRFP 2nd edition and Deathwatch**

I.e. A system built to handle 'Ratcatcher with a small but vicious Dog' and escalating to 'Knight in plate with big weapon' doesn't scale well to Plasma Guns and Power Armour. Weren't those old FFG games all super rocket tag?

Also I'm very much ehhhhh on WFRP4 as a ruleset. Too many rules, not sufficently playtested.

*Which I am very familiar with, running the new version ofThe Enemy Within campaign at the moment.

**Which is the only one of those FFG games I have played.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
real modern war basically is rocket tag. 40k doesnt care about simulating it... what it effectively does simulate is the last time melee weapons and shock war were viable. napoleonic or early modern skirmish, just like whf itself. so really they should use whfrp and just grep knight and replace w space marine

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 11, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all sniping weapons in video and tt games converge to the range and deadliness of an arquebus, because that was the last sniping weapon where an armored guy with a polearm was a credible threat to them. doesnt matter if the set dressing is space marines go pew pew or magic longbows or whatever

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Deptfordx posted:

I hadn't realised it was so soon.

Isn't using the WFRP 4th* as a base, repeating the same mistake as WRFP 2nd edition and Deathwatch**

I’ve not played WFRP 4th, but I have very fond memories of 2nd from when I was a child. That was also rocket tag as hell.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dick Trauma posted:

Which Warhammer army would Cushing have chosen to buy?

Guard

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I’ve not played WFRP 4th, but I have very fond memories of 2nd from when I was a child. That was also rocket tag as hell.

I played a ton of WFRP 2 and I absolutely wouldn't call that rocket tag at all. A tough character in good armour is extremely tanky.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

real modern war basically is rocket tag.

Right, but that's no fun as a game*, so if your RPG game is that realistic you hosed up.

* Alright, I'll grant you a percentage of people do enjoy stuff like Phoenix Command or other super-groggy gun stuff, but it's super-niche.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Deptfordx posted:

I played a ton of WFRP 2 and I absolutely wouldn't call that rocket tag at all. A tough character in good armour is extremely tanky.

Our characters dropped like flies, but maybe we were doing something wrong. We were children.

E: Oh, I lie. Looking at the release dates, it must have been 1st ed we were playing.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 11, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Most of the time Warhammer war comes off as a mix of Napoleonic and pop-culture WWI. I think officers still carried swords at the start of WWI though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I played a decent amount of 2nd edition, and while it certainly might not be difficult for any given character to die, if you actually built around heavy armor and parrying/blocking etc you could absolutely just shrug a lot of stuff off. I haven't played 4th though, I've heard it's a lot like 2e. Hell, even evasive characters could be genuinely hard to kill.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CottonWolf posted:

Our characters dropped like flies, but maybe we were doing something wrong. We were children.

E: Oh, I lie. Looking at the release dates, it must have been 1st ed we were playing.
I was real worried there for a second because what kind of eight year old registers a forums account? :psyduck:

DaysBefore posted:

Most of the time Warhammer war comes off as a mix of Napoleonic and pop-culture WWI. I think officers still carried swords at the start of WWI though.
This is one of my favourite historical photos because at first glance these guys are off to fight for Napoleon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DaysBefore posted:

WFRP is mostly early modern, but the wizards/vampires/hellvikings/leonardo davinci steam tanks punch things up a bit. Dwarfs have internal combustion engines, but they make each and every one by hand because that's how their father and his father did it.