Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I were in charge of hit game Fire Emblem Engage, the game would track what stat boosters characters have used, and engaging with marth would give an extra +1 to the relevant stat for each booster applied. Including for boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
mostly i think marth suffers from what little characterization/theming he has being subsumed into better characters.

like, his title being 'lodestar' in a reference to how he draws people around him and is a guiding light is basically the same idea as lucina's engage attack, except lucina is from the game that beats you over the head with the idea of friendship and bonds giving you strength, so of course they gave that effect to her

honestly the best part of him that i can think of is that his kit is actually pretty well suited to soloing the game with your lord, which is very in keeping with the marth games. having an overleveled marth with all the stat boosters just walk at a bunch of dragons and kill them is actually somewhat appropriate!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'd ditch the rapier and make his first engage weapon a super devil sword. Because with watching it eat dudes when it's not a loss of an hour of game is funny, and Marth uniquely had multiple weapon classes of devil weapon and plural of each variety.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Leif is so bad, which I guess is appropriate. His only contribution mid to late game is like...+5 speed from the free build.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean they also tried to make marth simple since hes the first one you get, all of those things are too specific

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

GateOfD posted:

late game mechanic
i think i'm too low iq to understand engage+ or how to make good use of it. it just seems like a lot

Engage+ largely exists to be a gently caress You Final Boss button, but I've found it pretty valuable. It largely just comes down to managing positioning with your Bond partner. The best advice I can offer is if you want to use Engage+ you probably want to run Canter/Canter+ so you can more effectively Bond Blast rather than Dragon Blast.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GateOfD posted:

i feel bad for all the sand country nation characters, i really enjoyed their intro maps and cutscenes, but then never used any of them after that

It’s only the royals and Bunet who are pretty mediocre. Pandreo, Panette and Merrin are all fantastic from the word go, and Seadall of course is going to completely alter how you play the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ROFL Octopus posted:

It’s only the royals and Bunet who are pretty mediocre. Pandreo, Panette and Merrin are all fantastic from the word go, and Seadall of course is going to completely alter how you play the game.

Fogado is legit excellent, he's just in a bad starting class. Look at his stats when reclassed as a warrior.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

To me, Marth from 12 and Smash 4 onward has been to a fairly consistent, friendship focused, kind hearted sort of Lord. But among FE Lord's, that personality is really common so it doesn't stand out too much.

I'd have given him Falchion as his 2nd engage weapon and the Shield of Seals as his 3rd weapon. Probably leave it as an equipable ala Byleths Thrysus. Not super sure on the effect, boosted defences from dragons or 2 range attacks?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

Fogado is legit excellent, he's just in a bad starting class. Look at his stats when reclassed as a warrior.

“Bro just reclass to Warrior” seems to be the meta option right now

Which, fair, Fogado gets +6 Strength doing that :eyepop:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Endorph posted:

i mean they also tried to make marth simple since hes the first one you get, all of those things are too specific
not necessarily. Some of the emblems don't get their more ridiculous skills until after rank 10 bond. (ie: ike getting Wrath at 13). Considering Marth's paralogue only unlocks in the endgame, they could've theoretically given him a bunch of weird skills after that. Like, for example, a skill that makes every attack Effective against Dragons/Fell Dragons, to make killing the corrupted wyrms which love to show up in endgame maps easier.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah marth's 1-10 list being fairly straightforward 'your guy with a sword dodges things and stabs stuff' is all well and good, it's the 11-20 being a bit bland that's the real letdown

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

I think they probably could have worked the 'corrupted Wyrm killer' into his kit as a bit of a callback to both how many dragons he had to personally kill and the bonuses you got to killing them in his games. He's not around during most of the game when they're at their most difficult but it would give him a memorable niche later on if he was one of the more consistent ways of killing them without taking damage/blowing an engage attack.

Part of the issue is obviously, endgame spoilers a lot of the best ideas for Marth stuff they used for Emblem Alear :v:

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 11, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://twitter.com/Bruceski1/status/1624308801343193090
I forgot about Sigurd's charge, he blasted into the middle of my party (thankfully everyone survived, including my dancer barely) and I figured it was time to set that up while clearing the first two bars. Sadly the achievement ends at 10. If Lyn hadn't been on cooldown I'f have checked if duplicates join in too.

https://twitter.com/Bruceski1/status/1624308427857219586
And for this does Kagetsu say that to everyone? I haven't done his supports.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t done much of his supports either but I saw a video of one where he wanted to quiz Boucheron on the lips, so maybe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah kagetsu is bi as hell

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I want to thank whoever suggested Panette and Lyn together (with wrath) because jesus loving christ she's an unstoppable monster. I usually tend not to use dancers in my playthroughs because i'd rather just have a bunch of strong units rather than one unit who can make another attack twice... but considering the fact that panette is merrily turning even enemy generals into paste, I think seadall might be a permanent addition the the team.

Now all I need is to get Vantage+ on her for maximum bullshit.

Bruceski posted:

https://twitter.com/Bruceski1/status/1624308427857219586
And for this does Kagetsu say that to everyone? I haven't done his supports.
https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1624302106013503490
he said it to pandreo, at least

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Barreft posted:

inc NSFW

I feel ill

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Roy is the one that feels most like his smash version than actual game version to me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
idk if roy even feels like his smash version so much as a bunch of unconnected abilities that aren't really referencing anything

though tbh it's hard to do anything for roy. The GBA games were intentionally scaled back mechanically so they don't have many unique features. I guess rescue is iconic from that era, even if it debuted in Thracia? You could give Roy's partner convoy access and call the skill Merlinus??

As for Roy as a character he's like, kind of contemplative (as opposed to brash) and his story uniquely in the series ends on an act of mercy, but idk how you really do much with that

His ability that gives his partner bonus levels would have been really cool on a tellius lord with the name "bonus experience" but both tellius lords are already stacked

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'd have probably given Roy the ability to have support bonuses activate from 3 tiles away. Not sure what I'd do for the rest though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh yeah FE6 invented support conversations. Support bonuses are older but didn't have accompanying conversations and weren't things you built up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

roy having lancereaver and wyrmslayer as his pre-binding blade weapons is really funny (he has them because he fought so many goddamn wyvern riders)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
they really should have replaced roy with Lilina tbh
we could have another mage emblem and more importantly, it makes the blue vs red metaphor more noticeable.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Mysticblade posted:

I'd have probably given Roy the ability to have support bonuses activate from 3 tiles away. Not sure what I'd do for the rest though.
clearly, roy's ring should've given characters the ability to dodge roll.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Also, while we’re complaining about Roy not having anything to do with his game: why the gently caress isn’t the Binding Blade effective against Dragons????

If it’s because the Wyrmslayer exists then just make it effective against Corrupted Dragons!

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Why doesn't Roy get a conversation with Hector in the DLC, when he watched him die

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I'm glad someone else has a great Merrin, because mine was an absolute killer but no one else has really talked about using her. In my case her mag growth procced like five times in a row so I ended up giving her the levin sword and making her a mage knight.

My Merrin on Maddening is the designated Levin Sword + Corrin holder and she’s been working well for me. I know people like talking about the terrain nonsense Corrin can get up to, but Draconic Hex and Baleful Aura have been such crucial tools that only using her for terrain seems such a waste.

Also, the game has decided for me that Jean is my MVP as I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else get MVP except for like Dire Thunder Citrinne for 1 map. Turns out with how fixed growths work, it is very easy to get a Jean that has completely absurd stats and with Alacrity, he doesn’t have to worry as much about being fragile.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well yeah, Alear is the best user of Dreadful Aura/Draconic Hex as well because she can extend the range of Torrential Roar and lock down an absurd number of units at once.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Goddamn, what the hell was up with that Lief paralogue map? +15 attack 100% accurate ballistas should not exist. Especially not 5 in a single map.

Thracia seems like a hosed up place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

count yourself lucky it wasnt the map with teleporting mages where you have to protect 5 npc villagers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

leif: you see alear... this is where i faced my greatest challenge
objective: RECRUIT XAVIER

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

count yourself lucky it wasnt the map with teleporting mages where you have to protect 5 npc villagers

I'm guessing at least the solution i'd turn to there isn't 'send my highest defense unit into range to eat ballista shots for 3 straight turns. And repeat like 4 separate times'

Honestly if they didn't repeat the ballista in the back half of the map i'd probably be pretty high on it. I like the combo of retreating lance fighters with goodies being covered by double super ballista and silence/freeze staff defences. The army of Thoron wielding mage knights is funny and I kinda liked how every wave of enemies always had a few unpromoted guys that were just there to punch up the enemy numbers and look intimidating. They just had too much of a good thing with the triple ballista in a way less interesting scenario right before you can finally fight the boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For that map I used Micaiah for an AoE Warp to get a group down close enough to take out the ballista archers. They needed to be pretty self-sufficient because the other enemies there are dangerous on their own but it worked after a couple tries.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just warp-killed the ballista near Leif, had my fliers aggro him and retreat, and let him trek his army across the map. He gracefully blew up the bridge behind himself, trapping him with my army and letting my fliers loot his fort with impunity.

I appreciate that in the spirit of Thracia, you're meant to break his bullshit with bullshit of your own, but you have plenty of options for how to go about it. It was also the map that taught me to appreciate that mage knights are not mystical units, and therefore easily foiled by terrain.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

For that map I used Micaiah for an AoE Warp to get a group down close enough to take out the ballista archers. They needed to be pretty self-sufficient because the other enemies there are dangerous on their own but it worked after a couple tries.

DLC strats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5bjzsojF7A

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I just warp-killed the ballista near Leif, had my fliers aggro him and retreat, and let him trek his army across the map. He gracefully blew up the bridge behind himself, trapping him with my army and letting my fliers loot his fort with impunity.

I appreciate that in the spirit of Thracia, you're meant to break his bullshit with bullshit of your own, but you have plenty of options for how to go about it. It was also the map that taught me to appreciate that mage knights are not mystical units, and therefore easily foiled by terrain.

Yeah this is exactly what I did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

Wow, you’re not kidding. Just looking at his average stats, Warrior Fogado is almost as strong as Etie and almost as fast as Alcryst. Guess I gotta use him next time

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tae posted:

Leif is so bad, which I guess is appropriate. His only contribution mid to late game is like...+5 speed from the free build.

Leif has been absurdly useful in my game. Admittedly not for his abilities, really, but I have him on Merrin whose access to triangle weapons is otherwise pretty limited. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Leif in that respect for the power of his Engage weapons. Merrin with the Master Lance bodies just about anything I point her at, including wyrms and armors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

is there any way to save my man vander from being mediocre