Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kaddish posted:

I can see them changing how energy reduction works with Wave, though I don’t think it’s that big of a balance issue. Seems like others do though.

The Zabu nerf fixed that. Now it's just She Hulk and Death who really benefit, and Shuri doesn't play well with Deathwave.

I guess you could drop 2 4's on 6 with Zabu in play but that seems kind of anemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cards I'd like to see nerfed, in no particular order,

Galactus: the most miserable card in the game
Shuri: generates too much power for a 4-drop
Aero: probably the best card in the game
Wave: ability is maybe too good, even without the way it currently interacts with cost reductions
Cosmo: too much power for such a potent ability
Scorpian: just the best 2-drop, pushes other cards out of the meta

Honorable mention,

M.O.D.O.K: I don't like that the Fast Forward animation keeps me from seeing what their Apocalypse is at! Sometimes it even bugs out the portraits, so I can't view how many cards they have in hand.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Bear in mind I have been languishing at about 30-50 for the past 3 seasons and am at CL 2,200-ish and I am generally a lovely player.

Aero is great, she has won me a few game and lost me a few games when my opponent played her, that being said I have only seen her a couple dozen times. (eh, it's very hard to count considering I've played thousands of games), but I don't feel like she is changing the way the entire game is being played like Surfer, Leader or Zabu nor am I seeing here every game like I am many many many other cards. The point is at least in my experience i don't find myself saying "Jesus Christ, not another Aero deck" or even "Whelp, hosed over again by Aero, nothing I could have done about that!"

Does the best card in the game need a nerf simply because it's the best. Then what do we do about the best card in the game after that?

I am playing around with Deathwave deck now that I got She Hulk and have Aero slotted in, but I don't feel like Aero is an insta-win in my opening hand. My sample size of games is pretty small when encountering Aero both in my hand and playing against her and I did say I'm a lovely player, so take everything I said with a shaker of salt.

As an aside I pulled Leader today in a cache or whatever they are called when you're at high CL. lols

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Hello Officer, I would like to report a crime.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ninurta posted:

Hello Officer, I would like to report a crime.

They really thought they had me with the double Ironman. Odin on Zola into Odin on both Panthers 👏

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

priznat posted:

Just cracked 40, feels like finally making progress.

My Morbdok deck is pretty good. I put Rogue in there to occasionally grab a second morb. And cosmo to protect my morb from the same (or enchantress).

I've been playing a similar MODOK deck and I think the game is using me to advertise the battlepass, because it's just been back to back victories.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

pray for my aunt posted:

I've been playing a similar MODOK deck and I think the game is using me to advertise the battlepass, because it's just been back to back victories.

I love playing it but tbh I am kind of bored seeing everyone play this deck now lol

Here comes morb!

Some variation like hela decks, or helicarrier, occasional devil dino (not with modok, obvs)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

After the Zabu surfer nerf I’m finding I dunno what makes a “good” deck anymore. Like I’m throwing together a bunch of ongoing cards with spectrum and winning games but I have no idea what qualifies as like, competitive

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

Skippy McPants posted:

Cards I'd like to see nerfed, in no particular order,

Galactus: the most miserable card in the game
Shuri: generates too much power for a 4-drop
Aero: probably the best card in the game
Wave: ability is maybe too good, even without the way it currently interacts with cost reductions
Cosmo: too much power for such a potent ability
Scorpian: just the best 2-drop, pushes other cards out of the meta

Honorable mention,

M.O.D.O.K: I don't like that the Fast Forward animation keeps me from seeing what their Apocalypse is at! Sometimes it even bugs out the portraits, so I can't view how many cards they have in hand.

I think once more people start having access to Shuri she's immediately going to be public enemy number one. She's just completely busted.

I'd agree with most of the other cards too, though I don't really know how you nerf some of them without nuking them from orbit. Galactus could be a zero power card and it would still see play in decks that could ramp it out. Shuri would almost definitely still see play at zero, and still be four cost for 15+ power most of the time.

I think the only way to balance some of them is to give them Magik like trigger conditions, where they can't be played before a certain point. Galactus is playable but a lot less scary on six than five, Shuri is still busted on five but at least less busted than now since it eliminates Zola/Task shenanigans. Dunno, but I definitely don't think pure power reductions are enough for either of those.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Artelier posted:

Not me trying to play Ronan The Accuser in a world of MODOK.

Why am I playing him you ask? Well...I'm one step away from my next cache with a card, and Ronan's the only card left that I haven't upgraded at all......

PLEASE GET SOME BOOSTERS JUST FIVE WILL DO

I recently had a deck with 3 cards still at common/white + less than 10 boosters. I kept track and after 20 games 6 of them had netted one of those 3 cards some boosters (which were instantly used if possible). It did take until game #7 before it happened for the first time tho. I feel like the devs can rig it to favoring cards with <20 boosters even more.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Regarding Skippy's nerf list, I'm not sure about all of those, but I wanted to note two things:

• During the Zabu meta I played Lizard over Scorpion to contest lanes. Now with Swarms and so on running around again, I do think Scorpion is the best 2-drop, as Swarm copies, and having 2-power Swarms is much better for the opponent.

• Shuri's nerf, if it gets one, probably involves cost+1.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Got infinite again on the backs of many bots thanks to my low CL and high MMR

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

They really thought they had me with the double Ironman. Odin on Zola into Odin on both Panthers 👏

What am I missing here? How did this play line work? I don't see anything to cheat out two 6s and She Hulk.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

RevKrule posted:

What am I missing here? How did this play line work? I don't see anything to cheat out two 6s and She Hulk.

t4 She-Hulk, t5 Panther, t6 zola, t7 Odin mid.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

t4 She-Hulk, t5 Panther, t6 zola, t7 Odin mid.

lol Somehow I absolutely missed Limbo in there. Ok, that makes sense now.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Modok has turned out to be a lot of fun but I've decided it's time to run doctor octopus and try to empty people's hands right before modok reveals

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Sera Surfer is dead to me. I'm losing to the stupidest poo poo today buy literally 1-2 points on a single spot. Went from 47 to 44 since last night. I've been playing a MODOK Swarm deck and DeathWave too and can't find my groove on anything. MODOK is too touchy. I feel like I don't even want Swordmaster in the deck anymore because 9 times out of 10 it discards MODOK.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
There needs to be a specific emoji for when someone waits until the end of t5 to snap

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Aero was a 5/6. Then she got pushed to 5/8 and then backed off to 5/7. Doesn’t seem like SD is too worried about her ability.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Sera Surfer is dead to me. I'm losing to the stupidest poo poo today buy literally 1-2 points on a single spot. Went from 47 to 44 since last night. I've been playing a MODOK Swarm deck and DeathWave too and can't find my groove on anything. MODOK is too touchy. I feel like I don't even want Swordmaster in the deck anymore because 9 times out of 10 it discards MODOK.

Sera Surfer was already a deck that won with sick tech plays and pretty narrow power margins. It's possible that the loss of 2-3 power per location when Surfer goes out is enough to push it out of viability. Might give Patriot Surfer a try if you're still looking to play him in a deck.

In other news, it looks like Zabu might be an unlikely pickup for Mr. Negitive decks since he offers another reliable way to Mr. N on T3 and he'll help you cast the various 4-drops the deck enjoys, like Wong and Shuri.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Sera Surfer was already a deck that won with sick tech plays and pretty narrow power margins. It's possible that the loss of 2-3 power per location when Surfer goes out is enough to push it out of viability. Might give Patriot Surfer a try if you're still looking to play him in a deck.

In other news, it looks like Zabu might be an unlikely pickup for Mr. Negitive decks since he offers another reliable way to Mr. N on T3 and he'll help you cast the various 4-drops the deck enjoys, like Wong and Shuri.

I'm not in love with him, it's just the only thing that worked for me. I got over 70 with it last season and I'm terrible at this game. I'm missing key components for other meta decks. No Hela, no Dracula, no Shuri, no Ultron, no Mystique.. I don't know what to try. I go on Snap Fan and look at recent win% decks and it's like "Have you tried Kazoo?!?" I don't want a deck literally anyone can shutdown with Killmonger.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, good news there, almost nobody runs Killmonger at the moment because most of the decks he kits in aren't too good. But, uhh, it sounds like you don't have Dracula, so you can't run the best Zoo variant, Zoocula. No Mystique and no Shuri is also really rough. Most of the current meta decks want at least one of them.

Do you have Electro?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm having a tough time piloting Sean's deck with a play line outside "electro -> shuri -> big thing -> zola." I'm just not seeing some of this and would like some help.

Like if I do Odin to Zola...what does that get me other than +8 in two other lanes. I feel like at best that's one lane with 10 and one lane with 13? Maybe I'm just thinking too big and I'm trying to outpower everything?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Granstein posted:

I think once more people start having access to Shuri she's immediately going to be public enemy number one. She's just completely busted.

I'd agree with most of the other cards too, though I don't really know how you nerf some of them without nuking them from orbit. Galactus could be a zero power card and it would still see play in decks that could ramp it out. Shuri would almost definitely still see play at zero, and still be four cost for 15+ power most of the time.

I think the only way to balance some of them is to give them Magik like trigger conditions, where they can't be played before a certain point. Galactus is playable but a lot less scary on six than five, Shuri is still busted on five but at least less busted than now since it eliminates Zola/Task shenanigans. Dunno, but I definitely don't think pure power reductions are enough for either of those.

My default position is that I don't want anything to get nerfed. Unless it's actually suffocating the game, just let good cards be good. I'd rather they improve cards that are bad.

That said, Shuri is totally OP and with more people getting her I can't see her surviving in this form for too long.

I do hope they won't do too many Leader-type nerfs anymore, going from extremely good to basically unplayable is poo poo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, good news there, almost nobody runs Killmonger at the moment because most of the decks he kits in aren't too good. But, uhh, it sounds like you don't have Dracula, so you can't run the best Zoo variant, Zoocula. No Mystique and no Shuri is also really rough. Most of the current meta decks want at least one of them.

Do you have Electro?

I do run into Death/DeathWave decks enough that he's around from time to time.

I do happen to have Electro! What did you have in mind?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Killmonger is only really run in Sera and Deathwave, and not always in Sera. That's why you zoo out on 6.

Also Swordmaster is a turn 6 card. You use it for stats and to empty your hand for Dracula-Apocalypse or Strong Guy. Same with any discard not named Colleen, Sif or Black Bolt.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

New Leaf posted:

You could try a version of the Odin big-bois deck that The Sean posted a few pages ago,

Even if you don't have every card, there are some subs you can make (like She-Hulk in for Shuri) and still have the deck function. In general, if you have Electro and maybe Wave, you can usually make some kind of ramp archetype work.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

RevKrule posted:

I'm having a tough time piloting Sean's deck with a play line outside "electro -> shuri -> big thing -> zola." I'm just not seeing some of this and would like some help.

Like if I do Odin to Zola...what does that get me other than +8 in two other lanes. I feel like at best that's one lane with 10 and one lane with 13? Maybe I'm just thinking too big and I'm trying to outpower everything?

I'd have to see your actual games to give feedback but when I was climbing if it didn't feel right I just retreated. A few games in a row of it not working out would get made up for by a few 8 cube wins.

I'm the case that you mentioned. If you had spiderwoman in one lane with 4 cards on the other side you're adding 12 net power. If you had Jubilee in another lane (and you're keeping track of that 2-2-3 rule--if not knowing exactly what is left in the deck) that is a large potential payout.

Oh, and Shuri -> Spiderwoman -> Zola for a similar effect. 14 power in two full lanes is really 18 in each (or 20 if she got Okoye'd early).

New Leaf posted:

If you go off my archetype I highly recommend you go back and read my full write-up a handful of pages back.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 11, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

RevKrule posted:

Electro>Panther>Zola>Odin
Electro>Spider Woman>Zola>Odin

I have a version that runs Gamora for similar effect and Wave as a second accelerator to let you play 6-5-6.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

You could try a version of the Odin big-bois deck that The Sean posted a few pages ago,

Even if you don't have every card, there are some subs you can make (like She-Hulk in for Shuri) and still have the deck function. In general, if you have Electro and maybe Wave, you can usually make some kind of ramp archetype work.

So it's just like "get big poo poo on the board"? I can handle that. No Panther (or Shuri) but I have the rest.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've been playing this the past day or two after feeling like surfer was underplayed:

It's the kind of plodding unsophisticated mid tier deck with card generation I always end up gravitating to. There's something wrong with running all of agent maria and sentinel because I block my draws so often but I don't know what to change. People forget juggernaut is a card.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

The Sean posted:

Alright, so my deck I hit Inifnite with twice:

Sub in She Hulk for Shuri if you don't have her. The deck works fine.

I've been playing this (She-Hulk version) and it's both a lot of fun and also extremely effective. Your write-up helped a lot to learn about positioning and some combos I didn't realize. Many of my retreats have been due to misplays that I know I shouldn't do but do anyways, like Jubilee pulling Okoye (they must be best friends). Thanks for the deck and words!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

4 cube 1 card win. They were playing some kind of control deck and had like 4 cards in Strange Academy. They filled up Sinister London with 3 Bishops and a Killmonger. Magneto on the bridge to pull them in at the last minute and I move Vision over (I guess it wouldn't have mattered if I left him because they couldn't add a card to London anyway).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still don't get the Galactus hate, it's by no means an instant win card or anything, and unlike Leader it actually takes some luck and planning to do anything

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Opopanax posted:

I still don't get the Galactus hate, it's by no means an instant win card or anything, and unlike Leader it actually takes some luck and planning to do anything
It turns a good game (marvel snap) into a bad game (whatever tf snap with one lane is). But at the moment nothing in the game is as obviously in need of a nerf as zabu was.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No Wave posted:

It turns a good game (marvel snap) into a bad game (whatever tf snap with one lane is). But at the moment nothing in the game is as obviously in need of a nerf as zabu was.

This. Galactus overperforms, but he's not breaking the game or anything. What makes him horrible is that he's no fun to play with or against. He turns the game into a binary. Do you have Galactus? y/n. Do I have a tech card to stop your Galactus? y/n. Game over, repeat.

There is almost no interaction, strategy, or nuance. I'd say he's like Ego, but at least Ego is random. Galactus games always play out exactly one of two ways.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
No one retreats faster than a Galactus enjoyer when you counter their big brain play though.

Inject that feeling straight into my veins.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
How does leader work? I put him down to the left of things and nothing happens

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

How does leader work? I put him down to the left of things and nothing happens

He only copies cards your opponent played that turn, not everything at the location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Oh no does this mean I should un-pin Galactus since I'm only at 2100 credits anyways??? I thought he was going to be fun to play :negative: