Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mega Comrade posted:

Children of men was a documentary

Been saying this for, like, a decade, hoping against hope I'd eventually be proved wrong

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Christ. This thread. Covid and Facebook have absolutely melted people’s brains

https://twitter.com/drmatthewsweet/status/1624340986020200449?s=46&t=cfRJ3_ssGo_iggewvZXgGw

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

He's getting his kimono and cricket bat ready.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/drmatthewsweet/status/1624340986020200449?s=46&t=cfRJ3_ssGo_iggewvZXgGw

My dad's been absolutely furiously imbibing from this fire hose for the last year or so

It's been going great lol

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oh no the loudly screeching about Trans people being predators turned out to be projection AGAIN!? How does this keep happening?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

He's getting his kimono and cricket bat ready.

It's really weird how killing a fox with a Cricket Bat turned out to be the redemption ark for old Jolyon. It's like the exact moment he went from boring online melt talking about the EU to actually using his lawyer powers for good.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 11, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Barry Foster posted:

My dad's been absolutely furiously imbibing from this fire hose for the last year or so

It's been going great lol

I am so, so thankful that my dad is the biggest luddite on the planet and barely knows how to check his emails, else I think he'd definitely be susceptible to this poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's really weird how killing a fox with a Cricket Bat turned out to be the redemption ark for old Jolyon. It's like the exact moment he went from boring online melt talking about the EU to actually using his lawyer powers for good.

The only other time getting rid of a pest of a fox made someone a better person was when Billie Piper did it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

Oh no the loudly screeching about Trans people being predators turned out to be projection AGAIN!? How does this keep happening?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

You'd think these types would love the idea of 15 minute cities supporting local business and community and infrastructure, but I guess "silent weapons for quiet wars" was the real silent weapon that melted their critical faculties all along.

Gonzo McFee posted:

While you were party politicing, I studied the Gray-Nicolls.

Jedit posted:

The only other time getting rid of a pest of a fox made someone a better person was when Billie Piper did it.
:discourse:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Did have the concerning realisation that at the current pace of decline, Starmer might actually seem like a relief.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

Did have the concerning realisation that at the current pace of decline, Starmer might actually seem like a relief.

The current pace of decline isn't going to slow with Starmer in charge, it's just going to be more aesthetically pleasing to guardian columnists

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Orange-flavoured decline rather than lemon-lime.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Sonia Sodhas amazing hypocrisy in calling trans people sexual predators after employing Nick Cohen pisses me the gently caress off and people should be bringing it up every time she sells more transphobic shite

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

While you were party politicing, I studied the Gray-Nicolls.

Gun(n & Moore) was right there!

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

josh04 posted:

If polls more or less stay as they are for the next two years, the UK could have seen its last Tory Prime Minister.

The decade while the right regroups and reorganise under some different name provides a window of opportunity. It’s unlikely Starmer would last long enough in office to squander it all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

If polls more or less stay as they are for the next two years, the UK could have seen its last Tory Prime Minister.

The decade while the right regroups and reorganise under some different name provides a window of opportunity. It’s unlikely Starmer would last long enough in office to squander it all.

That this is literally what happened the last time does rather put a damper on that hope, but I suppose all hope is irrational so why not go big :v:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

josh04 posted:

Guy on twitter pointed it out that we basically follow a very predictable pattern in British politics :

Tories get in, proceed to loot the place for everything not nailed down and do a bunch of hard right reforms

Everything goes to poo poo

Some mealy mouthed middle management comes in to prop things up and locks in tory reforms

The press decide it's time for the next round of looting, middle management goes off to sit on the board of some bullshit company.

Rinse and repeat.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah the amount of investment, taxes, pay raises etc that would be required to bring us back to merely the same level as 2010, never mind actually improving things, would be branded as totally unrealistic and impossible

Even if there were anybody promising to try, which there isn’t

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yes, it's called The Ratchet and it's not a new idea, and it plays out mostly the same across the anglo world, see Barack HUSSEIN Obamacare locking in Bush's "temporary" tax cuts and similar, starving the beast further.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I think we’re on the edge of things turning really ugly in magnificent Brexit Britain

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drag queen story hour is literally a synonym for loving pantomime for fucks sake, you all went to them growing up.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

smellmycheese posted:

I think we’re on the edge of things turning really ugly in magnificent Brexit Britain

Guardian writers will somehow still be shocked at this.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Ah, the good old stochastic solving-the-wrong-problem protest. Get 'em riled to a fever pitch over entertainment, they won't ask why their bills have quadrupled.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Drag queen story hour is literally a synonym for loving pantomime for fucks sake, you all went to them growing up.

(All together now)

Oh no it isn't!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sinky posted:

Guardian writers will somehow still be shocked at this.

yes, somehow shocked it went ahead

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Tories get in, proceed to loot the place for everything not nailed down and do a bunch of hard right reforms.

Everything goes to poo poo.

Some mealy mouthed middle management comes in to prop things up and locks in tory reforms

The press decide it's time for the next round of looting, middle management goes off to sit on the board of some bullshit company.

Rinse and repeat.
I think of a concept in dementia care called staircase decline. You can have a patient who has an episode of decline where they lose an important piece of functionality, then plateus for a while. Then another episode of decline, then a plateau. If you were to chart their functionality, it would look like a staircase going down.

Relatives can often mistake the plateau for getting better, because the patient is stable and not getting worse. But the important thing is that the patient never regains what was lost - their competence never goes back up during a plateau. Only ever downwards, and twirling, twirling ever onward toward freedom!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but it's called something different, same as half of them grew up on an estate with a row of shops and a library and a school and a community centre and a bus terminus, but 15 minute cities are a Jewish plot to turn your kids woke or a woke plot to turn your kids gay or something.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

That this is literally what happened the last time does rather put a damper on that hope, but I suppose all hope is irrational so why not go big :v:

Yeah uh 1997 passed Radmonger by I guess. I recall some similar hysterical 'the Tories might never be in office again!' stuff in the early 2000s or so and, well *points at reality*

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nigel wanking himself into a frenzy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Farage is a grim bellend

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Nigel Garage, pictured earlier today, pointing out that Knowsley is a grim portent of what is to come.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

smellmycheese posted:

Nigel wanking himself into a frenzy

It's probably the point but he's not saying that it's the violence or a crowd of people trying to burn down hotels on foot of misinformation that's the bad part. Just implying that it's that, but also leaving it blank enough that racists can imply he's talking about the migrants coming over is the problem.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Only Kindness posted:

Nigel Garage, pictured earlier today, pointing out that Knowsley is a grim portent of what is to come.

What is this from?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Microplastics posted:

What is this from?

I Think You Should Leave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLfAf8oHrMo

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson, imo the best sketch show ever made by a wide margin. It is absolutely loving hilarious and I couldn’t recommend it enough.

I found out about it from jazz legend Marcus ‘The Worm’ Hicks when he was on the Colgate Comedy Hour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

It's probably the point but he's not saying that it's the violence or a crowd of people trying to burn down hotels on foot of misinformation that's the bad part. Just implying that it's that, but also leaving it blank enough that racists can imply he's talking about the migrants coming over is the problem.
He's fine with burning refugees alive but doesn't like the idea of property damage to hotels. Something like the brick kilns that Romanian fascists used in the 40s.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

radmonger posted:

I'd agree somewhat with that if the different name the right were regrouping and reorganising under wasn't "The Labour Party".

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

yeah, it's loving everywhere now. was reading about people living in the village near where that lady went missing in the wyre complaining about 'ghouls' flocking to the village after seeing the news coverage; started off talking about psychics, true crime obsessives etc., and then just casually threw in 'also a lot of people are banging on the villagers doors and even trying to force their way into their homes because they believe in a conspiracy circulating online that she was abducted by a powerful, international sex-trafficing ring through a secret network of tunnels under the river and is being hidden in a house nearby', and it's just like. ah.

we're probably a year or two out from deepfake videos that look properly authentic tot he naked eye, and once those start going viral i don't know how reality-based society is going to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Gonzo McFee posted:

Guy on twitter pointed it out that we basically follow a very predictable pattern in British politics :

I believe Richard Griffiths articulates it best in Withnail & I: Shat on by tories, shovelled up by labour.