Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Fake Phelous was weirdly chill and had the same kind of off-beat self-deprecating humor that Actual Phelous did, so everyone was just kind of like "Oh, okay then." The blandest act of online identity theft I've ever seen.

Trying to sit here and wonder why they picked Phelous. Recognizable in-thread but not too big? Like they'd tip their hand if they picked Brad because somebody would probably ask him right away if he posted on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Delphisage posted:

"If I can't make money off this video, then I'm not letting anyone watch it."

There's still a Nebula link.

That's a pretty lovely way to phrase that. A lot of youtubers have pulled and reposted their videos after clearing the demonetization crap lately. Most of the views and stuff come from the first week and youtube fucks people out of getting paid for their work making long form advertising vehicles for the website.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's a pretty lovely way to phrase that. A lot of youtubers have pulled and reposted their videos after clearing the demonetization crap lately. Most of the views and stuff come from the first week and youtube fucks people out of getting paid for their work making long form advertising vehicles for the website.

delphisage phrasing something weirdly? unprecedented

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i dont want to agree with that guy, but cowing to advertisers is always loser behavior. otoh doesnt youtube "demonetize" you by running ads anyway and pocketing it. that would really piss me off.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Not an expert, but I think something actually demonetized doesn't run ads since the whole point is the video has content that advertisers wouldn't like to be paying for.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Garrand posted:

Not an expert, but I think something actually demonetized doesn't run ads since the whole point is the video has content that advertisers wouldn't like to be paying for.

my b im thinking of when you mark it as 'i dont want ad money for this'

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Garrand posted:

Nah Youtube actually does just keep running ads but they get all the money now

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

fun hater posted:

i dont want to agree with that guy, but cowing to advertisers is always loser behavior. otoh doesnt youtube "demonetize" you by running ads anyway and pocketing it. that would really piss me off.

There's no winner here except the people who run Youtube.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

fun hater posted:

It's this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
youtube do be liking money

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can't believe this guy, first he has health issues and now he wants to get paid at his job? Complete bullshit.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Can't believe this guy, first he has health issues and now he wants to get paid at his job? Complete bullshit.

make your income depending on advertisers at your own peril lol

e: like hes not salaried by youtube. if he wants regular income this isnt gonna be the path to it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

According to the folks who have videos bitching about it, leaving demonetized videos on your channel can result in the channel itself getting dropped in priority or nuked.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

On the one hand, I get that a lot of people like the notion of turning a hobby (in this case, making videos about a variety of subjects) into a job.

On the other hand, since I'm one of those people who did that (albeit in a different field), I can tell you first-hand that it's the best way to not just ruin any enjoyment you get from a hobby, it's also not something that's guaranteed to be able to pay the bills any more than any other job is nowadays.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

make your income depending on advertisers at your own peril lol

e: like hes not salaried by youtube. if he wants regular income this isnt gonna be the path to it

I don't think he's expecting YouTube ad revenue to pay for his living expenses. He's probably big enough that he gets more from Patreon and promotions now, but if he can get money from the ad revenue by blurring whatever upset YouTube's bots I don't blame him for trying. Yeah, bowing to YouTube's arbitrary whims sucks, but the only the only way to win here is not to play (post videos) at all, and then what would we have to argue over in this thread?

If he pushes back against the demonetization, can't get it re-monetized, and takes it completely down from YT while saying you can only find his ancestral wisdom on Nebula, that might be a bit more eye-rolley but that doesn't feel likely to me.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 9, 2023

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The kind of people likely to care enough about political youtuber drama are the most likely to already be a supporter of a political youtuber, so it makes sense to me to put it up somewhere else. Are you really gonna expand your audience with a 2+ hour video about 'tuber beefs?

Wait, gently caress, actually that'd probably hit huge, wouldn't it

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Back to celebrity gossip.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Grondoth posted:

The kind of people likely to care enough about political youtuber drama are the most likely to already be a supporter of a political youtuber, so it makes sense to me to put it up somewhere else. Are you really gonna expand your audience with a 2+ hour video about 'tuber beefs?

Wait, gently caress, actually that'd probably hit huge, wouldn't it

Looks like someone's unfamiliar with The Right Opinion!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l90Xzid3UQ
Mil-Dread talks about The Midnight Meat Train. I was aware of the movie but not that it starred Bradley Cooper right before breaking out.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
That actually seems like a pretty good title to me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its one of those "engagement" thumbnails because Mildred is all for the title.

Edit: Not trying to throw shade, just that it was done for youtube reasons.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rockit posted:

https://youtu.be/hZhNbF88Vok

Finally some good video on this topic to go with Jessie's. This actually goes places i didn't expect and was quite persuasive.
Re-Uploaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9JvYnPi69g

https://nebula.tv/videos/fdsignifier-broke-bread

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There's a goon with the username f d signifier but apparently his whole deal is impersonating online people and then posting like a crazy person
Not an impersonation, just a joke about getting banned for posting one of his videos... in retrospect, it was an easily misunderstood joke.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

F.D. Signifier posted:

Not an impersonation, just a joke about getting banned for posting one of his videos... in retrospect, it was an easily misunderstood joke.

Posting deranged nonsense is often misunderstood. Maybe more often than understood, even.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
So the signifier is not the signified here, who happens to be the signifier

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
8bitdrummer speaks truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MnunMspTSM

I remember ages ago suggesting things like patreon or other outlets (besides buying t-shirts I don't want or whatever) to some people I follow, and it took them YEARS to hop on board and actively monetize, enable tip jars, etc. lovable goof Thew didn't think having a donation outlet for a while but eventually went for it with patreon and wound up being able to quit his full time job to do what he wanted to instead, he just needed to provide any outlet for fans and the money poured in. Thankfully it's much less an issue nowadays but there definitely felt like there was a stigma to having straight up tip jars, subscriptions, and patreons years ago.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l90Xzid3UQ
Mil-Dread talks about The Midnight Meat Train. I was aware of the movie but not that it starred Bradley Cooper right before breaking out.

Speaking of Mildred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhw052sEx1U

DID YOU KNOW ANCIENT ROME DID NOT EXIST?!?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not talked about here often but I have to say good on Highlight Reel for taking a stand and not doing any clips from Hogwarts Legacy. Instead he uses lines from Wizard People, Dear Reader for some of the clips of the week.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1624347264691871750?s=20&t=sE8cY8gzWWYXywE4gQd3rw

Shaun on Andrew Tate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_TOFy3k6k

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The more I've seen of Tate and watch him talk the more he comes across like a Wish.com version of Vizzini from The Princess Bride.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dawgstar posted:

The more I've seen of Tate and watch him talk the more he comes across like a Wish.com version of Vizzini from The Princess Bride.

I can't work out how much of his accent is the result of growing up on both sides of the Atlantic and how much is affectation. Given everything else about him I assume it's affectation.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i always thought he was davis aurini and was looking for the background skulls before i learned no, it's just a different bald man preaching stupid MRA/anti-feminist bullshit :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Oh Davis, even your niche as "MRA guy who looks a bit like Cypher from the matrix" has been usurped

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mix. posted:

i always thought he was davis aurini and was looking for the background skulls before i learned no, it's just a different bald man preaching stupid MRA/anti-feminist bullshit :v:

He's from the same Dark Enlightenment strain, appealing to the same embarrassing teenagers. A fine new example for the modern internet; because instead of sitting on a set and talking about how women are inferior, Tate is a human trafficker who got rich by exploiting women in eastern europe.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mix. posted:

Aurini doesn't strike me as being competent enough to commit Tate's crimes. Not that "too dumb to traffic humans" wins you any sort of prize.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I feel like classifying Tate as part of the "Dark Enlightenment" is giving way too much intellectual credence to his ideas. The Dark Enlightenment guys tried to present neoreactionary views under a veneer of intellectualism, whereas Tate espouses the kind of logic and philosophy one would expect from a man who got punched in the head for a living

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

I feel like classifying Tate as part of the "Dark Enlightenment" is giving way too much intellectual credence to his ideas. The Dark Enlightenment guys tried to present neoreactionary views under a veneer of intellectualism, whereas Tate espouses the kind of logic and philosophy one would expect from a man who got punched in the head for a living

On his kickboxing record, it certainly does little to discredit Tate being involved in organized crime. The PSP thread on kickboxing used to be called 'Dutch Organized Crime Updates With Occasional Kickboxing.'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mix. posted:

I assure you, this is the first time anyone has thought about Davis Aurini in about ten years how.

e: holy gently caress gamergate is going to be a decade old next August, how the gently caress are these chuds STILL mad about this culture war poo poo?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m sad this never got off the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLNvqajlNw

Although maybe that was the joke, since the actual Davis/Tubboy collab never produced anything either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m sad this never got off the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLNvqajlNw

Although maybe that was the joke, since the actual Davis/Tubboy collab never produced anything either.

Rip Jordan Owen, thought of getting out of his bath tub and died. Or maybe? ...Is Jordan Owen still alive?

E: A quick google search suggests the answer to that is somehow "Yes", and he has not changed literally one iota since August 2014. Sadly though, he has managed to get out of the bath tub :(

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Rip Jordan Owen, thought of getting out of his bath tub and died. Or maybe? ...Is Jordan Owen still alive?

E: A quick google search suggests the answer to that is somehow "Yes", and he has not changed literally one iota since August 2014. Sadly though, he has managed to get out of the bath tub :(

He once said until HBomberguy forgave him he couldn't live a happy life.