Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

The correct way to have handled this would be to allow people to customize what's on it. I could strip out half the options and get down to a super lean right click menu.

The goal wasn't to make the menu shorter or simpler. The goal was to avoid shell extension DLLs to be loaded and called every time you right-click, which can give unpredictable slowdowns and/or crashes.
There is (supposedly, I haven't looked it up myself) a new way for programs to ask to be placed in the right-click menu, which presumably does not depend on calling into third-party shell extension code to retrieve the menu items. For example, 7zip might scan the contents of a file you right-click on, every time you right-click, to determine if there seems to be a ZIP archive inside the file, like a self-extracting archive in an EXE file. If it has to open and read every file you right-click, that adds an element of unpredictable behavior and delay.
That new method will then let File Explorer show those options, but without those unpredictable elements. The disadvantage of the new model would be that things like 7zip can't be dynamic in what options they show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

nielsm posted:

There is (supposedly, I haven't looked it up myself) a new way for programs to ask to be placed in the right-click menu, which presumably does not depend on calling into third-party shell extension code to retrieve the menu items.

PowerToys for instance inserts itself into the primary right click menu

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hi I'm the guy who just now learned about robocopy in 2023

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Apart from handling window positions and shortcuts more gracefully, does Windows 11 manage switching on/off monitors quicker than Windows 10? I use 3/2 monitors and switch monitor profiles with DisplayFusion to switch on my third monitor maybe even while gaming in borderless mode, so without any of the screens going blank for a second or two? I really doubt it but it doesn't hurt asking, I guess. I think this alone would be enough for me to switch over.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dessel posted:

Apart from handling window positions and shortcuts more gracefully, does Windows 11 manage switching on/off monitors quicker than Windows 10? I use 3/2 monitors and switch monitor profiles with DisplayFusion to switch on my third monitor maybe even while gaming in borderless mode, so without any of the screens going blank for a second or two? I really doubt it but it doesn't hurt asking, I guess. I think this alone would be enough for me to switch over.

This might be an rear end in a top hat answer, but would you be able to dual boot W10 and 11 and see which you prefer? 1122H2 brings its functionality more in line with 10 in most respects for me, though 10, being so long in release now, probably covers more niche stuff by virtue of its age.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Is there a way to switch audio device icons? Right now my headphones are showing up under audio devices with a speaker icon and my speakers are the opposite

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bofa salesman posted:

Is there a way to switch audio device icons? Right now my headphones are showing up under audio devices with a speaker icon and my speakers are the opposite

in the old sound control panel and device properties

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Celexi posted:

in the old sound control panel and device properties

I was able to change those icons, but it seems like it only affects the stuff in that menu. The volume settings thing in the taskbar is still backwards and I can't seem to find any way to change these ones. I could rename them so that at least matches but that's all I could find.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

bofa salesman posted:

I was able to change those icons, but it seems like it only affects the stuff in that menu. The volume settings thing in the taskbar is still backwards and I can't seem to find any way to change these ones. I could rename them so that at least matches but that's all I could find.

Isn't windows great

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

bofa salesman posted:

Microsoft haven't given a poo poo about ui consistency for a decade, arguably longer

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bofa salesman posted:

It used to work in win 10, lol that they broke it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Last Chance posted:

you can go gently caress yourself if you want that feature

new thread title

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apple thread is that way bud

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Apple thread is that way bud

It is hard to not see Windows 11 as software with very 'Apple' philosophies in all the worst ways.

But at least windows has rounded corners now...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It is hard to not see Windows 11 as software with very 'Apple' philosophies in all the worst ways.

But at least windows has rounded corners now...

Some of it, sure, but I'd also say Microsoft cribbed hard off of ChromeOS, too.

Windows 10 they cribbed off of KDE a lot, but for 11 they really leaned into the whole mobile/touchscreen device thing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am starting to get headaches from windows apps that aren't dark mode aware. Opening some bullshit app and getting blasted with bright white light when I'm adjusted to dark mode loving sucks. Is there a decent solution to that? I've tried a few things that haven't worked right. I even went so far as to try Windowblinds like it's 2002, and I have learned that nobody designing skins for Windowblinds now has any taste at all, let alone any idea how to make a functional UI. Really the entire Windows theme/skin community seems to be stagnant and dying so I'm not surprised.

I actually really like the Windows 11 UI in dark mode, when it works right. I haven't actually been bothered by it until recently, but I'm annoyed enough I'm considering switching back to Windows 10 (which is probably just as bad and I just don't remember it) or even trying to use Linux as my main desktop OS, until I inevitably want some app or game that I can't have with Linux.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sunglasses but also go and see an optician

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stop straining your eyes with low contrast settings and turn on the light in your room.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
+ copy the display/brightness settings from a review of your monitor
++ or just turn down brightness as much as you can without reducing readability of text
+ enable night light on all devices past 10pm or so, depending on when you sleep
++ turn the colour temp down as much as you can without it being too annoying
+ have a basic backlight behind your monitor for when you turn the lights off in the room to minimize contrast and eye strain

you could also buy a ceiling led bulb with low wattage and colour temperature (high 3000s to low 4000s) that you keep on at all time, since the lack of bright blue light will make it pleasant to have on at all times. ideally one with a high cri/ra to avoid muddy colours in your surroundings. philips expertcolor are solid picks

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 10, 2023

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I mean, yeah, I know. I'm exaggerating a little about the headache. Sometimes when I'm up late writing or working on something I'll need to open some app that isn't dark aware and I get cranky about it. I'm mostly just bitching about the inconsistent Windows UI and asking if anyone knows a way to reliably recolor the legacy/non-dark-aware apps. It's kind of silly that that with all the complexity of windows that you can't just do that in 2023.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cool Dad posted:

if anyone knows a way to reliably recolor the legacy/non-dark-aware apps

No, there pretty much isn't. Don't use the app, change your environment, or change your OS are the only options.

Cool Dad posted:

It's kind of silly that that with all the complexity of windows that you can't just do that in 2023.

Legacy apps that work correctly are kinda the core windows feature. Making changes to the legacy GUI APIs that those apps use so they can get forced into a semi-working dark mode is a good way to make them break.

Other OSes take a more "this is the new way of doing things, update your apps or :frogout:" approach. There are good and bad consequences.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
also, loving bing doesn't even have dark mode, there's no legacy excuse for that travesty

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bing earned me $20 in Taco Bell money but I just could not keep using a search engine that would frequently make me type things into another search engine to find useful results.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
headaches from a monitor are usually due to insufficient lighting, floor lamps work better btw as you won't get glare, also adjust your monitor brightness or get one that has a light and color temperature sensor.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Bing earned me $20 in Taco Bell money but I just could not keep using a search engine that would frequently make me type things into another search engine to find useful results.

I used to pay for my game pass ultimate with it until I decided my time was worth more because every time, I searched on it I'd get trash results, even qwant is better or a searxng private instance that aggregates all of them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Celexi posted:

headaches from a monitor are usually due to insufficient lighting, floor lamps work better btw as you won't get glare, also adjust your monitor brightness or get one that has a light and color temperature sensor.

I remember being forced to use 60hz CRT monitors under 60hz fluorescent lights. Now THOSE were monitor headaches.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember being forced to use 60hz CRT monitors under 60hz fluorescent lights. Now THOSE were monitor headaches.

I got so used to headaches from CRT monitors that I'd start my gaming when I was a teenager by taking tylenol that I kept on my desk lol.

And people have some nostalgia for those fuckers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Celexi posted:

I’d get migraines from sitting at my pc, but the root cause was bad posture/ back problems, the monitor was just exacerbating the headaches.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Celexi posted:

I got so used to headaches from CRT monitors that I'd start my gaming when I was a teenager by taking tylenol that I kept on my desk lol.

And people have some nostalgia for those fuckers.

I have nostalgia for some of the CRT monitors I had, but I also ran them at no lower than 75hz.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
a small string of those low brightness colored led lights, like purple or red or dark blue, behind the monitor or at least around your area helps when in a dark room

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Bing is a poo poo search engine to the extent I don't know how it's so bad. I mean surely they could artificially put a term's Wikipedia entry near the top, instead of whatever algorithm they use that has it on page 2.

I wonder how much this AI stuff will help?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bing is a poo poo search engine to the extent I don't know how it's so bad. I mean surely they could artificially put a term's Wikipedia entry near the top, instead of whatever algorithm they use that has it on page 2.

I was watching Linus Tech Tips play around with it on stream, and I'm not sure if I was more impressed or horrified at how good it was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?AxAAJnp5yms&t=2414s

Now all that remains is to see how quickly it becomes racist.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It has some really interesting and convincing sounding answers, for sure. But I have to wonder about the accuracy. ChatGPT is known for being very confidently wrong all the time. For instance, the "how many LTT bags can a Model 3 trunk fit" question was answered wrong both times it was asked (in the LTT tweet and on the WAN show). It sounded very convincing, and it looked like it was doing a lot of thoughtful math and estimations, but it just spat out wrong answers because it didn't collect all the data correctly. So it's actually worse than old bing because it will confidently tell people incorrect information.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Google has been pushing Wikipedia back to page 2 a lot these days too, to be fair.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 11, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It has some really interesting and convincing sounding answers, for sure. But I have to wonder about the accuracy. ChatGPT is known for being very confidently wrong all the time. For instance, the "how many LTT bags can a Model 3 trunk fit" question was answered wrong both times it was asked (in the LTT tweet and on the WAN show). It sounded very convincing, and it looked like it was doing a lot of thoughtful math and estimations, but it just spat out wrong answers because it didn't collect all the data correctly. So it's actually worse than old bing because it will confidently tell people incorrect information.

Google has been pushing Wikipedia back to page 2 a lot these days too, to be fair.

Dunning-Kruger simulator

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
we're kind of in the same novelty phase of "chatgpt"/"ai" that we were with virtual assistants like siri, cortana, alexa where we don't care too much about whether the answers are that good or not. then we started getting tired of them

the main outcome right now seems to be people having ai write boilerplate stuff like cordial e-mails and school papers in a more natural-sounding language, be it english or any other language. the future of chatgpt outlook integration is going to be pretty hilarious

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the future of email is everyone using AI to pad out what they wrote and then the recipient using AI to summarise the bloated email they got

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Maybe AI can tell me what the gently caress to do with my staff who need a slap.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
oh yeah, and job applications are also all going to be ai-composed, at least until employers catch up (lol, lmao)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

oh hell yeah give me the RGB software equivalent of Windows Defender please

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1624117626275348480?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

HalloKitty posted:

Dunning-Kruger simulator

We’re not discussing Bitcoin here, thank you.
:nono::rant: