Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too simple for Python??? Yeah, probably. I like writing python so here's a crack at it anyway:

Python code:
from collections import defaultdict
from contextlib import suppress
from datetime import datetime

def parse_logfile_lines(file_name, user_conditional, user_parser):
    """Yield usernames associated with lines of text in a log file."""
    user = None
    with open(file_name, 'r') as fi:
        for line in fi:
            line = line.strip()
            if user_conditional(line):
                user = user_parser(line)
            else:
                yield user, line

def extract_user_from_line(line, separator=' '):
    """Extract the user portion from a line, which is all but the last two elements."""
    return ' '.join(line.split(separator)[:-2])

def line_ends_with_datetime(line, separator=' '):
    """Return True if the last two parts of a line contain a datetime.

Return False if the last two parts of a line cannot convert to a datetime
    or if the line has less than three parts.
    """
    line_split = line.split(separator)
    with suppress(ValueError):
        datetime.fromisoformat(separator.join(line_split[-2:]))
        return len(line_split) > 2
    return False

def split_logfile_by_user(file_name):
    """Map all users to all of their lines of text in a log file."""
    result = defaultdict(list)
    for user, line in parse_logfile_lines(file_name, line_ends_with_datetime, extract_user_from_line):
        result[user].append(line)
    print(result)

split_logfile_by_user('test.txt')
For an input of:

quote:

Username (userID1) 2021-07-14 14:49:22
wtf are you reading?
Username (userID2) 2021-07-14 14:49:22
nothing go away
guys, erek is reading 50 shades of grey
lets all laugh and point at him
50 Shades of Grey is a book not a series
I think
To google!
wrong
there is like 3 books
ew
there are three-...
How'd you know that...
I um
uhh
gotta go!

The program prints:

quote:

defaultdict(<class 'list'>, {'Username (userID1)': ['wtf are you reading?', 'guys, erek is reading 50 shades of grey', 'lets all laugh and point at him', 'wrong', 'there is like 3 books', 'I um', 'uhh', 'gotta go!'], 'Username (userID2)': ['nothing go away', '50 Shades of Grey is a book not a series', 'I think', 'To google!', 'ew', 'there are three-...', "How'd you know that..."]})

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

God drat, this is way better than my garbage awk and grep.

Thanks QuarkJets, you're a legend, for some reason this just feels like a much more elegant solution.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Too simple for Python??? Yeah, probably. I like writing python so here's a crack at it anyway:

Haha, I was just coming here to write this, glad I swapped pages before doing it.

I work with a bunch of shell script folks and there was this weird nested dictionary we had to modify and they gave up with sed and I managed to hammer out a script to not only modify it, but generate valid XML from it!

Which is great until I need to write a shell script and suddenly I'm (justifiably) the idiot :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sed, awk, and grep are fantastic and powerful tools but bash scripts have famously bad readability, which is important if it's something that you're going to ever reuse. I like seeing a clever bash one-liner on stackoverflow sometimes but not in production code

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And now technology has come full circle, and dockerfiles are full of sed and awk commands to manipulate configuration files etc etc.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I am running into an issue. I have a Jupyter notebook which contains code that I want to run multiple times using different parameters. The table in the SQLite3 database from which the data will be pulled depends on a parameter passed in (there is one table with 4 hour data, one table with 6 hour data, and one table with 8 hour data). From reading stackoveflow posts (for example this one) it looks like the table name cannot be parameterized. The reasoning behind this is that they want to prevent SQL injection.

There are ways around this:
Python code:
select_str = f'SELECT SID, start_dt FROM tss_{tss_length_hrs}hr'
trlnt_SDTs = c.execute(f'{select_str} WHERE study_name == "trlnt"').fetchall()
where I create the select string first and then use it in the query.

I understand this is bad practice in general, but in this particular context where I am the user and will be supplying the tss_length_hrs string which will not be malicious, it should be ok, right?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yes, if you completely control the inputs it’s okay to do. The danger comes from uncontrolled inputs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jose Cuervo posted:

I am running into an issue. I have a Jupyter notebook which contains code that I want to run multiple times using different parameters. The table in the SQLite3 database from which the data will be pulled depends on a parameter passed in (there is one table with 4 hour data, one table with 6 hour data, and one table with 8 hour data). From reading stackoveflow posts (for example this one) it looks like the table name cannot be parameterized. The reasoning behind this is that they want to prevent SQL injection.

There are ways around this:
Python code:
select_str = f'SELECT SID, start_dt FROM tss_{tss_length_hrs}hr'
trlnt_SDTs = c.execute(f'{select_str} WHERE study_name == "trlnt"').fetchall()
where I create the select string first and then use it in the query.

I understand this is bad practice in general, but in this particular context where I am the user and will be supplying the tss_length_hrs string which will not be malicious, it should be ok, right?

SQL Injection is only possible if you accept unsanitized user input, there is nothing wrong with what you've written here. Put the f-string directly into the execute statement if you want, even. Just so long as you control the content of 'tss_length_hrs' and aren't just slamming in whatever a user provides. Dictionary dispatch would work well for that

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

SQL Injection is only possible if you accept unsanitized user input, there is nothing wrong with what you've written here. Put the f-string directly into the execute statement if you want, even. Just so long as you control the content of 'tss_length_hrs' and aren't just slamming in whatever a user provides. Dictionary dispatch would work well for that

Can you elaborate on what you mean by dictionary dispatch and also explain why it would work well in this context?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jose Cuervo posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by dictionary dispatch and also explain why it would work well in this context?

Sure, say that you want a user to be able to select which table is queried via a command line argument. Passing input directly to the query is dangerous because it would leave you vulnerable to SQL injection, but you can easily pass that value to a dictionary that maps to only valid names:

Python code:

user_input = sys.argv[1] # or use argparse
table_name = {'table1': 'table1',
              'table2': 'table2_with_nulls,
              'usernames': 'usernames'}[user_input]

This is dictionary dispatch; it's just mapping some input to a set of outputs. You could use the table_name variable here to build a SQL query without issue, because you know the valid table names already. If an invalid table name is provided then an exception is raised. If someone tries to attack you with an SQL injection input then it just dies at this dictionary lookup

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Sure, say that you want a user to be able to select which table is queried via a command line argument. Passing input directly to the query is dangerous because it would leave you vulnerable to SQL injection, but you can easily pass that value to a dictionary that maps to only valid names:

Python code:
user_input = sys.argv[1] # or use argparse
table_name = {'table1': 'table1',
              'table2': 'table2_with_nulls,
              'usernames': 'usernames'}[user_input]
This is dictionary dispatch; it's just mapping some input to a set of outputs. You could use the table_name variable here to build a SQL query without issue, because you know the valid table names already. If an invalid table name is provided then an exception is raised. If someone tries to attack you with an SQL injection input then it just dies at this dictionary lookup

Got it, thanks!

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

dictionary dispatch is a great pattern. if you're on a newer version of python (3.10+) you also have structural pattern matching. you should totally give this whole doc a read through, but this snippet in particular is especially relevant

Python code:
match command.split():
    case ["go", ("north" | "south" | "east" | "west") as direction]:
        current_room = current_room.neighbor(direction)
    case ["go", _]:
        raise Exception
if, in this case, the command was "go ;DROP TABLE [...]", none of the branches in the pattern match are acceptable (the 2nd element of command.split() would not be north, south, east, or west), so the wildcard "_" catches the match and raises an exception.

i'd probably still start by implementing dictionary dispatch, it seems like a much better fit for your current problem set of "how do I translate user input into a known-safe thing", but if you're writing user tools you should definitely check out the above link which has "handling user input" as a center-stage feature of the tutorial and examples.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I'm looking for Python courses that I can do fully from an IDE, REPL or failing that through Jupyter notebooks.

About 6-7 years ago I did this great interactive course in R that was delivered entirely through R itself as a package you ran and all of the tutorials and exercises were done right from inside R Studio and I really enjoyed the "immersive" nature of it.

Tried searching for something like this for Python but all I can find are interactive courses online that are taught through a web browser IDE.

Maybe it's a bit picky but I found something about learning a language and getting familiar with the tools itself appealing, and that it was fully automated and even offline possible too. Something that I could run in VS Code would be fantastic.

I've found a few courses taught over Jupyter notebooks which will be fine too obviously but just curious if anyone knows any Python courses run fully independently as packages.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I'd never spent any thought on default arguments before, and when they're bound, etc.

Python code:
def fart(a, butt=[]):
    butt.append(a)
    print(butt)

fart('a')
fart('b')
pre:
['a']
['a', 'b']
It took me a minute of headscratching before I realized exactly when the default argument was initialized, then I laughed because it's perfectly logical, reasonable, and unexpected.

question: is handling command dispatch via getattr(self, 'command_' + command, self.unknown_command) remotely sane? It's a tossup between that and dict dispatch but
the latter has 3 times the boilerplate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Harik posted:

question: is handling command dispatch via getattr(self, 'command_' + command, self.unknown_command) remotely sane? It's a tossup between that and dict dispatch but

I try to avoid use of `getattr`, but there are rare circumstances where it makes sense. Can you provide a more complete example of what you're thinking about?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

QuarkJets posted:

I try to avoid use of `getattr`, but there are rare circumstances where it makes sense. Can you provide a more complete example of what you're thinking about?

Sure, it'd be something like

Python code:
class foo:
    def command_hello(self, data):
        # ... do something

def unknown_command(self, data):
        # ...  return an error

def process_command(self, command, data):
        func = getattr(self, 'command_' + command, self.unknown_command)
        func(data)

The dict version would be:
Python code:
class foo:
    command_lookup = {
        'hello': self.command_hello,
    }

# ... do something

# ...  return an error

func = self.command_lookup.get(command, self.unknown_command))
        func(data)
I "coded" these both in the input textbox but that's the rough idea.

e: obviously there's a lot more going on with async callbacks and state and access checks, but none of that was really relevant to the core question.

e2: I guess the same could be achieved in __init__ by iterating over self and creating a dict of all the methods that startwith('command_')

Harik fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 6, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Harik posted:

Sure, it'd be something like

Python code:
class foo:
        # ... do something

# ...  return an error

func = getattr(self, 'command_' + command, self.unknown_command)
        func(data)

The dict version would be:
Python code:
class foo:
    command_lookup = {
        'hello': self.command_hello,
    }

# ... do something

# ...  return an error

func = self.command_lookup.get(command, self.unknown_command))
        func(data)
I "coded" these both in the input textbox but that's the rough idea.

e: obviously there's a lot more going on with async callbacks and state and access checks, but none of that was really relevant to the core question.

e2: I guess the same could be achieved in __init__ by iterating over self and creating a dict of all the methods that startwith('command_')

Yeah iterating over the methods would be a cool way to implement this without resorting to getattr. Is this for a CLI? Have you looked at dispatch?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah iterating over the methods would be a cool way to implement this without resorting to getattr. Is this for a CLI? Have you looked at dispatch?

dispatch looks useful, I may try it on my next CLI.

but no, this isn't for a CLI. internet facing API so the documentation is separate from the code. It's a pattern I've been playing with to eliminate redundancy in already bloated code.

I'll make the change to a dict populated via dir(self) though, that seems like the best overall. Not that the performance hit matters much:

(times in nanoseconds)
pre:
getattr:          83
'command_' + cmd: 78
dict.get:         32
doing any real work in the function called immediately dwarfs that.

Thanks!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Harik posted:

I'd never spent any thought on default arguments before, and when they're bound, etc.

Python code:
def fart(a, butt=[]):
    butt.append(a)
    print(butt)

fart('a')
fart('b')
pre:
['a']
['a', 'b']
It took me a minute of headscratching before I realized exactly when the default argument was initialized, then I laughed because it's perfectly logical, reasonable, and unexpected.

That honestly feels like a bad design decision on pythons behalf. Almost worth reporting it as a bug. Principle of least surprise and all that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I have a Python memory management and speed question: I have a Python program where I'm going to be reading in a stream of data and displaying the data received over the last X seconds. Data outside that window can be junked, I'd like to optimize for speed first, and size second. I know how I'd do this in C, but I'm not sure about Python memory management.
The data are going to be in a live updating graph, so accessing it contiguously would be good.

I have my own ideas about circular buffers or offset pre-allocated buffers, but I have the feeling Python has something off the shelf that will handle this well. Does anything like that exist?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

duck monster posted:

That honestly feels like a bad design decision on pythons behalf. Almost worth reporting it as a bug. Principle of least surprise and all that.

The thing about mutable default arguments is one of the biggest gotchas and interview-interrogation points about Python and one of the great sources of truth-and-beauty discussions when you and the other devs start talking about coding best practices. It's been that way for so long that changing it now would probably cause a bunch of breaking changes to people's code.

https://docs.python-guide.org/writing/gotchas/

Still would be nice to be able to do stuff like

Python code:
def fart(a, butt=[]):
because it feels like it should work/be safe, and because

Python code:
def fart(a, butt=None):
    if butt is None:
        butt = []
is gross and annoying no matter how much sense it makes. Fortunately good linters and IDEs will yell at you about it, but it does seem far from intuitive since every novice programmer has to learn about it the hard way after assuming wrong at first.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

duck monster posted:

They've seen the complaint already, you can be sure of that

I understand why it works that way, it's the natural result of other design choices. It's still surprising and a pitfall

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
check out pep 671 - late-bound function argument defaults

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

StumblyWumbly posted:

I have a Python memory management and speed question: I have a Python program where I'm going to be reading in a stream of data and displaying the data received over the last X seconds. Data outside that window can be junked, I'd like to optimize for speed first, and size second. I know how I'd do this in C, but I'm not sure about Python memory management.
The data are going to be in a live updating graph, so accessing it contiguously would be good.

I have my own ideas about circular buffers or offset pre-allocated buffers, but I have the feeling Python has something off the shelf that will handle this well. Does anything like that exist?

If you want to hold the last N items in a structure similar to a ring buffer without implementing your own, a deque is probably what you're after: https://docs.python.org/3/library/collections.html#collections.deque

Deques can be given an optional maxlen to limit their size, but if you're expecting the stream volume to ebb and flow, you're probably better off implementing the cleanup of the tail end yourself and tying it to the time of the streamed event. In terms of performance, it's O(1) to access either end of the deque, O(n) in the middle, so if you're not doing a ton of random reads, or have a relatively small collection, a deque makes for a really nice choice.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Does python not have an arraydeque of any kind? It shouldn't be O(n) just to read items by index in the middle.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jabor posted:

Does python not have an arraydeque of any kind? It shouldn't be O(n) just to read items by index in the middle.

Assuming you're referring to Java's arraydeque, Python's equivalent is just called deque: https://docs.python.org/3/library/collections.html#collections.deque

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

QuarkJets posted:

Assuming you're referring to Java's arraydeque, Python's equivalent is just called deque: https://docs.python.org/3/library/collections.html#collections.deque

quote:

Indexed access is O(1) at both ends but slows to O(n) in the middle.

This doesn't look like an arraydeque to me. It should have O(1) indexed access (as long as you're just peeking at elements and not adding/removing).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

StumblyWumbly posted:

There's a cachetools package that might be relevant (I see it has a TTLCache). Or if performance is critical, you may want to actually write it in C and bind it. Pybind11 is pretty good if you're familiar with C++.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

This doesn't look like an arraydeque to me. It should have O(1) indexed access (as long as you're just peeking at elements and not adding/removing).

They are indeed different. I'm not aware of an arraydeque equivalent with fast access in the middle in Python's stdlib though I'd be surprised if there wasn't an implementation somewhere out there in the broader ecosystem.

Cachetools is an option, provided an LRU cache with TTL on top of it is acceptable. If you have the necessary skills and need the raw performance, binding something faster to Python is always an option as well.

I would start by throwing together a proof of concept in Python and profiling it before adding dependencies or binding another language, though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jabor posted:

Oh, does Java's arraydeque have indexable access? I didn't think that it did

I'm not aware of a Python deque with faster indexed access, I'm most often a numpy pain pig sorry :shrug: What kind of use case are you thinking about?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rust's VecDeque supports indexed access.

It's not actually particularly useful for the sort of things that you'd use a deque for - but O(n) access implies that it's some sort of slow linked data structure instead of a contiguous ring buffer, which is pretty bad.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Out of curiosity, I asked ChatGPT for a beginner python puzzle, and this is what I got:

quote:

Write a function `def product_except_self(nums):` that takes in a list of integers `nums` and returns a list of integers where each element is the product of all the numbers in `nums` except the one at that index.

Example:

Input: `[1, 2, 3, 4]`
Output: `[24, 12, 8, 6]`

And this was the solution:

code:
def product_except_self(nums):
    n = len(nums)
    res = [1] * n
    left_product = 1
    right_product = 1

for i in range(n):
        res[i] *= left_product
        left_product *= nums[i]

res[n - 1 - i] *= right_product
        right_product *= nums[n - 1 - i]

return res

code:
    product = 1
    zero_count = 0
    n = len(nums)
    for num in nums:
        if num != 0:
            product *= num
        else:
            zero_count += 1

if zero_count > 1:
        return [0] * n
    elif zero_count == 1:
        res = [0] * n
        for i in range(n):
            if nums[i] == 0:
                res[i] = product
        return res
    else:
        res = []
        for num in nums:
            res.append(product//num)
        return res
:stare:

I guess we have different definitions of 'beginner'!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Python code:
from functools import reduce
from operator import mul

total = reduce(mul, nums)
	return [total // x for x in nums]

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
That can give a divide by zero answer,, but otherwise is better. The question is easy enough but the ChatGPT answers are pretty cryptic.

Thanks everyone for the Python tips, I'll definitely play around with deque.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had ChatGPT help me out with some thorny unit test mocking approaches. It was surreal and it worked

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
I'm finally learning to do anything more than basic powershell oneliners and I'm having a stupid newbie moment here. I'm trying to take a bunch of values, divide them by the largest value and output with a couple decimal places

INPUT:

should break down to

I've got something that'll work with that just fine, grabs the six inputs and creates vars a-f, then checks for the largest of them, divides each of the vars by that largest number and outputs. simple enough.
But I didn't actually read things well enough, and I need to have the first input be an integer that indicates the number of values that will be coming in, and that's got me banging against a wall. I'm sure its because my approach is hot garbage here but I'm not sure where to even begin doing that sort of dynamic creation of x number of variables.
I'm sure this is dumb, please tell me how dumb this is:
Python code:
a = float(input())
b = float(input())
c = float(input())
d = float(input())
e = float(input())
f = float(input())

largest = a

if b > largest:
    largest = b
if c > largest:
    largest = c
if d > largest:
    largest = d
if e > largest:
    largest = e
if f > largest:
    largest = f

aout = a / largest
bout = b / largest
cout = c / largest
dout = d / largest
eout = e / largest
fout = f / largest
print(f'{aout:.2f}')
print(f'{bout:.2f}')
print(f'{cout:.2f}')
print(f'{dout:.2f}')
print(f'{eout:.2f}')
print(f'{fout:.2f}')

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Make a list. Populate it with the values. Iterate through it.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
Thats the basic poo poo I need - now I have something far less dumb:

code:
num_vals = int(input())
numbers = []
normalized = []
for vals in range(num_vals):
    numbers.append(float(input()))
largest = float(max(numbers))
for x in numbers:
    normalized.append(float(x / largest))

for y in normalized:
    print(f'{y:.2f}')

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
You could also get an arbitrary number of floats by having the user specify something like a space-delimited string. For ex:
code:
numbers = [float(val.strip()) for val in input().split(‘ ‘)]
And then you could enter “30.0 50.0 10.0 100.0 65.0” when prompted. Or however many numbers you want, separated by a space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Soylent Majority posted:

Thats the basic poo poo I need - now I have something far less dumb:

code:
num_vals = int(input())
numbers = []
normalized = []
for vals in range(num_vals):
    numbers.append(float(input()))
largest = float(max(numbers))
for x in numbers:
    normalized.append(float(x / largest))

for y in normalized:

Yeah this is much better

Do you need num_vals, e.g. is this for an assignment that says you have to have a num_vals? I like Zugzwang's suggestion but maybe you're required to have that num_vals input for some reason :shrug:

Do you know about list comprehensions yet? List comprehensions own. Try this poo poo:
code:
num_vals = int(input())
numbers = [float(input()) for _ in range(num_vals)]
normalized = [number / max(numbers) for number in numbers]
for y in normalized: