Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I think I looked at the lyrics for too long and now I have no idea whats going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Annabel Pee posted:

Its not saying that though, its:

'The only one for me is you
and you for me'

The two statements you are saying, and what people would presume not thinking about the lyrics, is if it was:

and me for you'

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, basically its not saying what you're implying its just the same sentence twice.

They are literally two different statements.

"The only one for me is you" -- This is about the singer's feelings towards the subject of the song. Taken on its own, it says absolutely nothing about whether the feeling is mutual and leaves open the possibility that the subject could love someone else, even if the singer can't.
"and you for me" (or taken as its implied statement, "and the only one for you is me") -- This is about the singer's belief/assumption that the subject of the song must feel the same way about them, and isn't capable of loving anyone else.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Generic American posted:

"and you for me" (or taken as its implied statement, "and the only one for you is me")

:agreed: if you take it as a completely different statement, it's a different statement altogether

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Generic American posted:

"and you for me" (or taken as its implied statement, "and the only one for you is me")
No, that only works as an implied statement if it was:

and (the only one for) you is me'

or

and I (am the only one) for you'

But it uses "for me" in both cases, which are two words but is one single phrase (I've been informed by someone nearby who is smarter than me that it's a prepositional modifier).

and you ([is/are] the only one) for me'

e: Actually that's a better way to phrase it. If we rearrange the first line into more natural English while retaining the meaning it becomes:
'You are the only one for me,
and you (are the only one) for me'

Splicer has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Feb 11, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
"the only one for me is you
and the only one for you is me"

is equal to

and for you is me"

is not equal to

and you for me"

you can't just reverse the preposition and preserve the same meaning

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Remulak posted:

Did Tarantino direct all of them or just some? Details are (probably intentionally) sketchy.

I though it was just an episode and executive producing, but I’m probably wrong.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

... Jesus Christ, I feel like I'm having a stroke and just realized that my brain was instinctively autocorrecting it this whole time even when I meticulously typed it out like that. :shepicide:

I'm, uh, gonna go lie down or something because gently caress.

Generic American has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Feb 11, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
until it was just pointed out I've been stumbling over that lyric for years without ever stopping to realize the implications (I always want to say "and for you is me") so I'm not sure if that's actually better or worse

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

English!

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
To put it in terms goons will understand, when Vivec achieved Chim it was "I AM ALL ARE WE". We are all part of a multitudinous singularity, a drop in a river. Dagoth Ur, on the other hand, had anti-Chim "I AM AND ALL ARE ME". So the collective is a subset of him as opposed to him being a subset of the collective.

The Turtles song "Happy Together" works on that same distinction.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Generic American posted:

... Jesus Christ, I feel like I'm having a stroke and just realized that my brain was instinctively autocorrecting it this whole time even when I meticulously typed it out like that. :shepicide:

I'm, uh, gonna go lie down or something because gently caress.

the holy poopacy posted:

until it was just pointed out I've been stumbling over that lyric for years without ever stopping to realize the implications (I always want to say "and for you is me") so I'm not sure if that's actually better or worse
Oh yeah I'd absolutely never parsed that lyric correctly until now, despite already thinking the song had weird sinister undertones.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Whoa

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

the holy poopacy posted:

and the only one for you is me"

is equal to

and for you is me"

is not equal to

and you for me"

you can't just reverse the preposition and preserve the same meaning

I'm pretty sure that the bolded part was the intended meaning but the guys who wrote it mangled it to fit the meter. The Turtles themselves weren't great at writing lyrics either, check out their other big hit:

quote:

Elenore, gee, I think you're swell
And you really do me well
You're my pride and joy, et cetera
Elenore, can I take the time
To ask you to speak your mind?
Tell me that you love me better

I really think you're groovy
Let's go out to a movie
What do you say, now, Elenore, can we?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeAtre3Bxg8
:pwn:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The size of increasingly larger dinner birds. Could palm the skin off a baseball.

https://twitter.com/toyns/status/1023041773914992642?s=20

Man I had assumed Reacher was his name, not an epithet.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Do you think Flo & Eddie really stayed in 200 Motels?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

lmao those lyrics rule, brave and bold to but etcetera into your chorus.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Highway Patrolman" by Johnny Cash -- depending on who you are as a human being, this is a sympathetic tale of loyalty and anguish set in "the real world," or simply the story of a corrupt police officer and his criminal brother.

quote:

My name is Joe Roberts, I work for the state
I'm a sergeant out on Perenville barracks number 8
I've always done an honest job, honest as I could
Got a brother named Frankie, Frankie isn't no good
Ever since we were young kids, it's been the same come down
I'd get a call on the short wave, Frankie's in trouble downtown
Well, if it was any other man, I'd put him straight away
But sometimes when it's your brother, you look the other way

Yeah, me and Frankie laughing and drinking, nothing feels better than blood on blood
Taking turns dancing with Maria while the band played "The Night of the Johnstown Flood"
I catch him when he's straying, like any brother should
Man turns his back on his family, he ain't no good

The night was like any other, I got a call about a quarter to nine
There was trouble at a roadhouse out on the Michigan line
There was a kid on the floor, looking bad, bleeding hard from his head
There was a girl crying at a table, it was Frankie, she said

I ran out and I jumped in my car, then I hit the lights
I must have done about a hundred and ten to Michigan County that night
It was down by the crossroads, out by willow bank
Seen the Buick with Ohio plates, behind the wheel was Frank
Well, I chased him through them county roads, until the sign said Canadian border five miles from here
Pulled over to the side out the highway, watched the taillights disappear

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Aramek posted:

I don't remember what song it is but there's a country song that rhymes "pride" with "fad" and that totally works when you say it in the southern accent I guess.

It does not rhyme in any natural southern accent.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Do you think Flo & Eddie really stayed in 200 Motels?

Probably, touring can make you crazy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It does not rhyme in any natural southern accent.

There are some Texan accents where “pride” and “fad” would sound pretty close to each other, if not identical.

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
Jan 19, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

"Highway Patrolman" by Johnny Cash -- depending on who you are as a human being, this is a sympathetic tale of loyalty and anguish set in "the real world," or simply the story of a corrupt police officer and his criminal brother.

Actually a Bruce Springsteen song, and in the grand tradition of Springsteen songs it's a very nuanced take on a flawed working-class character with no good options in a tough situation.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Dr. Lucien Sanchez posted:

working-class character

Cop

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Actually a Bruce Springsteen song, and in the grand tradition of Springsteen songs it's a very nuanced take on a flawed working-class character with no good options in a tough situation.

Wrong, the cop sucks

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
If he's so pro-working class why do they call him The Boss??

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Actually a Bruce Springsteen song

I stand corrected on this particular point

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aramek posted:

I don't remember what song it is but there's a country song that rhymes "pride" with "fad" and that totally works when you say it in the southern accent I guess.

Extremely Boston Accent has entered the chat.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Yeah, struggling to think of a song with more subtext as well. The whole story is just under the surface.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hook by Blues Traveler

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

There are some Texan accents where “pride” and “fad” would sound pretty close to each other, if not identical.

That's a Texan accent I've never heard.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kchama posted:

Watch No Country for Old Men, its a deep West Texas accent, where Pride is drawn out and given an 'ah' vowel sound. Or well, pride and prod maybe not fad unless fad was also said weird.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Elmer Fad

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When I was in jail I had a cellmate from Texas. I can hear him saying Texas Prahd.

Specifically he said he had a Dee Yeff Dubya accent (Dalles/Fort Worth)

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Feb 14, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Watch No Country for Old Men, its a deep West Texas accent, where Pride is drawn out and given an 'ah' vowel sound. Or well, pride and prod maybe not fad unless fad was also said weird.

credburn posted:

When I was in jail I had a cellmate from Texas. I can hear him saying Texas Prahd.

Specifically he said he had a Dee Yeff Dubya accent (Dalles/Fort Worth)

Yeah I've never heard any Texan accent that made pride and fad sound similar, and I am all too familiar with West Texas accents. Pride/prod being similar I have heard, though.

I just made myself sad that I realize I've lived basically everywhere in Texas. I spent way too long in that state.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kchama posted:

Yeah I've never heard any Texan accent that made pride and fad sound similar, and I am all too familiar with West Texas accents. Pride/prod being similar I have heard, though.

I just made myself sad that I realize I've lived basically everywhere in Texas. I spent way too long in that state.

yeah I started typing and was saying it in my head 'fahd' just because I was thinking 'west texas accent saying pride' and then realized and just kept posting because I already had the post window open.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Fahd” is also how a Boston guy says “fad.” It’s like the “bacon/beer can” trick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Accents are a very funny thing, you'd be shocked how diverse they can be- and that pretty much everywhere on the planet has the same things happen in some ways. Nowadays there's a homogenising effect from mass media, but well, for most of human history, regional accents are basically how different languages develop eventually.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
In the UK it's actually going the other way. The BBC adopted received pronunciation in the 1920s as a standard, so regardless where you were from, that's how you had to talk while on air, so it's the accent we got famous for. How many people speak RP in real life? Less than 3%.
They finally dropped it I think in the 90s? But its still taken a while for people with stronger accents to get the 10'oClock news segment.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kchama posted:

Reminds me of that scene from the Critic, the episode where they introduce Alice.

"I still have my pride."
"Your what?"
"My pride."
"Your prod?"

Guess it helps if you read the first and third lines in a southern accent. Or watch the episode.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mega Comrade posted:

In the UK it's actually going the other way. The BBC adopted received pronunciation in the 1920s as a standard, so regardless where you were from, that's how you had to talk while on air, so it's the accent we got famous for. How many people speak RP in real life? Less than 3%.
They finally dropped it I think in the 90s? But its still taken a while for people with stronger accents to get the 10'oClock news segment.

Eeyup, time for t'news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

the_steve posted:

Reminds me of that scene from the Critic, the episode where they introduce Alice.

"I still have my pride."
"Your what?"
"My pride."
"Your prod?"

Guess it helps if you read the first and third lines in a southern accent. Or watch the episode.

Good god there’s a show I haven’t even thought of in ages. That and Duckman. Perfect “fell asleep on the couch watching tv and woke up to late-night cartoons in the 90’s” feeling.

Idk how they’ve held up, but i want to leave them where they were and not gently caress up my vague fond memories of either show.