Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Lockwood & Co on Netflix was enjoyable. Based on the swords and uniforms, I was expecting a throw-away kid version of GhostHogwartsBusters, but the writing was pretty solid, and the acting was good. I like how it did some subtle world building without huge exposition dumps. Effects were good. There was also a nicely-framed double-reflection shot in episode 5. I hope there's a season 2, but it is Netflix so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm about halfway through Season 3 as well. It's all over the place. Mostly in a good way Paper Boi's phone and sometimes not the cultural awareness panel, where I appreciated what they were going for felt they missed the landing.

Any moment Darius is on-screen is a pro watch.

The weird capsule episodes are mostly good, but it makes me think Donald Glover should have saved them for a separate anthology series. At this point he should have the respect to auto-greenlight virtually anything he wants to do.

REINVEST IN YO HOOOOOOOD

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm rewatching amazon's Patriot. I rarely remember to post about shows, and missed the 3 page thread about it when relevant, but holy poo poo this show rules.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Patriot is GOAT

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm rewatching amazon's Patriot. I rarely remember to post about shows, and missed the 3 page thread about it when relevant, but holy poo poo this show rules.

Escobarbarian posted:

Patriot is GOAT

:hai:

I still listen to the season 1 soundtrack from time to time.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I've started watching Six Feet Under with the intention of actually getting past s01e04 this time. The show's aesthetics and theme song remind me of Theme Hospital.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Buttchocks posted:

Lockwood & Co on Netflix was enjoyable. Based on the swords and uniforms, I was expecting a throw-away kid version of GhostHogwartsBusters, but the writing was pretty solid, and the acting was good. I like how it did some subtle world building without huge exposition dumps. Effects were good. There was also a nicely-framed double-reflection shot in episode 5. I hope there's a season 2, but it is Netflix so...

I liked everything about this show except Lockwood lol. To me he looked like a 12 year old playing dress-up. I guess it was nice when they try to show chemistry between the high school girl and the team leader that he isn't like 40 or whatever but he didn't seem credible to me granted, there's the fact that all the agents are "kids" but even so... I liked the Lucy and George wasn't bad either as the sidekick. I thought the world building was neat. Some of the plot elements weren't exactly surprising but I appreciate they didn't blow their whole wad on the the underlying mysteries and conspiracies and are leaving room to go somewhere in future seasons.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

EvilElmo posted:

Mr Inbetween. Should watch.

3 times through it, would watch again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXQLFEiMIU&t=92s

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Lampsacus posted:

I've started watching Six Feet Under with the intention of actually getting past s01e04 this time. The show's aesthetics and theme song remind me of Theme Hospital.

I watched it for the first time last year. Didn't age great.....but it's still a solid melodrama. The characters and acting hold it up. And assuming you get through this time....it has arguably the best series finale of any show that I've ever seen. Certainly made the watch worth it.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Didn't age great

How so?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first few episodes they haven’t even figured out the format (there’s some ironic “commercials”that are pretty tough to get through). It is def proto-prestige

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 10, 2023

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

EvilElmo posted:

Mr Inbetween. Should watch.

I've binged the whole series twice. Seeing Damon Herriman go from playing Dewey Crow in Justified to Freddy the Aussie strip club owner is an interesting detail.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Buttchocks posted:

I binged it after listening to the Adam Buxton podcast and find out it was by directed by long time collaborator Joe Cornish. There was a few moments, mostly early on, when I was worried it was about to rely on the bad device of characters inexplicably not talking about something to drive a plot point, but actually overall I agree it was very solidly written.

Rewatched Band of Brothers for the first time since it originally aired. Turns out I'd forgotten most of the plot so it was less of a rewatched. Also got The Pacific at the same time as a box set. I've paused a couple of episodes in; while not bad so far I haven't been drawn in as much.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Not saying that it aged poorly.....but pacing was inconsistent and was too soapy at times. Mostly I say this because SFU showed up nearer to the advent of prestige television. In the decade and a half since it has ended....prestige television has expanded in a huge way....and while SFU is a very good show.....it's nowhere near as groundbreaking as it probably was once considered.

Also the icky conversion from 4:3 to HD a couple seasons in.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just this moment finished Search Party. The only part I didn't gel with was the overly long plot line in Season 5. Other than that is was very cool and held my attention really well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Half Bad: The Bastard Son & The Devil Himself: 2 Devil to Bastard: The Baddening: Half Son Devil the Self: & on Netflix is pretty good. What if wizards and witches.....were assholes? Halfway through, and the story is pretty predictable, but who cares, that's not what you're watching it for. Episode 3 was definitely the money shot. Remember Body Worlds?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Round up of a few things I've been watching since the start of the year:

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
Much vaunted "dark" Scooby-Doo, though I found the parts where it takes itself seriously to be user lame and corny. The first season had a lot of fun taking the piss out of itself while doing pastiches of various horror movies -- cornball 70's stuff, obscure Japanese monster movies, Weimar, the Saw films -- and I had a lot of fun with that. What mostly stood out was how mean the show could be about its leads; they're selfish, feckless and often utterly gormless (making the recent Max show not to great a departure tbh). What makes them funny here, though, is how intensely childlike they are, and the contrast the show keeps drawing between their naivety and the gothic vibes the -- intensely gorgeous -- art design is throwing out.

The second season mostly stops playing this stuff for mockery and starts trying to squeeze drama out of it, and it ultimately lost me. Still, fun while it lasted.

Paul T. Goldman
Walks the narrow line between being deeply exploitative and being deeply important, and ultimately I come down on the idea that it was probably a form of necessary intervention. I watched this with a friend, and our conversation kept coming back to Q Anon and flat earthers, and other people who've inoculated themselves against criticism because their egos are too fragile to face the bleakness of their own lives.

Also this was very loving funny, and I loved little behind the scenes stuff, particularly that bit where W. Earl Brown just switches his performance across in response to direction like he does. Such a great actor. Melinda McGraw is such a loving trooper too, there was no way she wa being paid enough yo do all that emotonal labour.

I should see if they're selling those "slam the man" shirts. Those owned.

YOU
There was no way this was planned to be released the way it was (all the graves are dated at 2022, for one thing) but the show continues to be very entertaining. There's a distinct shift in focus away from gender and towards class, including a focus on highbrow / lowbrow art that I appreciated, and some great supporting turns -- particularly from Tilly Keeper, who's doing, IMO, a remarkable job in a role finding shades and depths to a role that hould be really basic and obvious.

Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens
Only seen the first season so far, but very funny, with strong Broad City energy. Another show with very strong casting too, on god B.D Wong is a loving chameleon. Awkwafina has such energy too, as does Lori Tan Chinn (Chang off Orange Is The New Black), their scene partners always seem so much more energised than when I've seen them in other places. Plus a lot of small time comedic actors just before they found success in other places. Strong vibes that this was a fun set to have worked on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Buttchocks posted:

Half Bad: The Bastard Son & The Devil Himself: 2 Devil to Bastard: The Baddening: Half Son Devil the Self: & on Netflix is pretty good. What if wizards and witches.....were assholes? Halfway through, and the story is pretty predictable, but who cares, that's not what you're watching it for. Episode 3 was definitely the money shot. Remember Body Worlds?
I don't recommend this. It seemed possibly interesting for a couple episodes but it felt more and more generic/forgettable as it went along and by the end I regretted having watched the whole thing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was pretty good, especially compared to most recent teen supernatural shows. I don’t think the plot arc was surprising but it turned into a quest show so that’s pretty much to be expected.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just started Billions and pretty much the first scene is Maggie Siff as a dominatrix pissing on Paul Giamatti. I thought this show was a out stock brokers or some shitI hope it maintains this level of weirdness

Like 3 episodes in and David Costibal as Wags is making an early run for favorite character

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Billions has some great characters and good acting to go with them.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Just finished the entirity of Succession and while I had a blast binging it and can't wait for s4, the siblings fight for the topdog position does get a bit stale and I hope the plot somehow expands beyond that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With how s3 ended, I don’t see how it could do anything but move beyond that

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I thought it was pretty good, especially compared to most recent teen supernatural shows. I don’t think the plot arc was surprising but it turned into a quest show so that’s pretty much to be expected.

I liked it until the evil shapeshifter got used too much and it started dragging the show down.

The idea that any character can be the evil shapeshifter can work to create tension but after too many such reveals it saps the energy out of the show as anything anyone does may actually be the shapeshifter.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Klaaz posted:

Just finished the entirity of Succession and while I had a blast binging it and can't wait for s4, the siblings fight for the topdog position does get a bit stale and I hope the plot somehow expands beyond that.
I fear it’s going to go all tech business shenanigans and it’s going to Suuuuuuck.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just started Billions and pretty much the first scene is Maggie Siff as a dominatrix pissing on Paul Giamatti. I thought this show was a out stock brokers or some shitI hope it maintains this level of weirdness

Yeah, Billions is a surprisingly weird show, in a good way. It is about rear end in a top hat hedge fund managers and also Paul Giamatti's depraved, hardcore BDSM lifestyle. I would like to have been a fly on the wall at that pitch meeting.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Buttchocks posted:

Seconding this. It's not spectacular in any way but given the target audience and the genre it's certainly decent. You won't miss out on anything if you don't watch this but it's a passable way to waste some time.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I liked The Other Two, but I always kinda wonder about those normal families who have the one sibling who is the superstar. Like Bob is just trying to sell insurance but has a sister who is an int'l superstar at the height of her fame.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Klaaz posted:

Three seasons of in-fighting between siblings. Season 4 will be siblings vs. parent. Think that’ll be the “expansion.”

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Just finished Fleishman Is In Trouble and really thoroughly enjoyed it. Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar that I could move on to next? I enjoy the relationship development/psychologically-minded narrative type stuff.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

kgibson posted:

Just finished Fleishman Is In Trouble and really thoroughly enjoyed it. Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar that I could move on to next? I enjoy the relationship development/psychologically-minded narrative type stuff.

I discovered search party right after finishing Fleishman and its been a good transition!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually don’t know what else is really like Fleishman. Mad Men?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

huh posted:

Just this moment finished Search Party. The only part I didn't gel with was the overly long plot line in Season 5. Other than that is was very cool and held my attention really well. Thanks for the recommendation.

I have also just finished this yesterday.

What an absolute ride. The final part of the journey put me in mind of Sorry to Bother You's second half, just an absolute left turn to crazy-town.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

I discovered search party right after finishing Fleishman and its been a good transition!

Thanks! I will check it out!

Escobarbarian posted:

I actually don’t know what else is really like Fleishman. Mad Men?

Makes sense that Mad Men would come to mind. I've watched it through twice and really enjoyed it both times.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

I watched the first part of season four of You and maybe it's just my taste but i couldn't force myself to pay attention to what was happening. just a bunch of interchangeable characters with british accents going all u wot mate at each other with unearned gravitas. i liked the first season and this just felt like too much of a departure, though i get why they would have to shake things up to avoid the formula being stale.

penn badgley looks v good with the longer hair and beard tho

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Each season of You is good if you understand the underpinning theme and really vibe with it.

It's honestly a pretty specifically appealing show.

The current season is for people who like whodunits and hate rich young people. The latter category is easy to find, but the former category isn't.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I started watching "Dating # No Filter" on hulu and OMG these people are pathetic. Glad I married and don't have to get into the dating scene anymore. Although the one woman who brought a guy to her date to smash her framed marriage certificate seems fun. I have smashed many a computers, cash registeres and stuff in my days with a hammer or a Zippo Axe - but never a marriage certificatge.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think whodunits are gonna come back into fashion because of knives out/glaaa onion.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They've never not been in fashion, the genre's basically one of the most popular ones out there. True Detective, White Lotus, Righteous Gemstones, Vice Principles, The Killing, Scandal, Top Of The Lake, Only Murders In The Building, The Afterparty, Veronica Mars, iZombie, Elite, Wednesday...

The UK has an entire cottage industry that just pumps out murder mysteries -- Christie adaptations, Midsummer Murders, New Tricks, Jonathan Creek, a billionty other shows. And CBS is basically this too. It's Boomer catnip.

I have no idea what the OP is talking about with that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My mom just watches every single British mystery show that exists. There appear to be an endless stream of them available. Shows that produce three 90 minute episodes a year and have been airing for 20 years and every actor has been in Game of Thrones or Harry Potter. And when I catch bits of them, they seem very well produced!

England caught the ball Colombo threw and went running with it. I think Rian Johnson is trying to bring that specific approach back to the US.

America has definitely always had mystery shows and whodunnits but most the ones listed above aren’t really episodic mystery thrillers. And the copaganda bullshit is kind of a genre to itself.