Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

ikanreed posted:

Chatgpt is definitely going through the "this tech will solve everything in spite of very visible flaws that we have no way to control for" line self driving cars, social media, or the Internet did before it.

gartner hype cycle

what's funny is that this is from august last year, and "metaverse" has already burned through to the trough (imo), while ML code generation is at the top of the peak right now.

anyway chatGPT is very good for simple powershell stuff or getting regex from plain english. i know enough to know that i need that poo poo, but i've never bothered to learn it properly, so it's great for a lazy rear end in a top hat like me. it also translates code blocks between languages really well. but asking it to conjure up moderately complex python from scratch consistently leads to a frustrating rabbit hole of error correction.

fake edit: enjoy the huge image dickheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tokin opposition posted:

prove conclusively that you have an inner model or grasp of abstract concepts and i'll answer you

Ask me about this question in a week and I'll remember it, thus demonstrating a greater inner model than Chat-GPT by virtue of a larger memory than 1028 tokens.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Make me go through two doorways and I won't remember where I've put a single token

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mola Yam posted:

anyway chatGPT is very good for simple powershell stuff or getting regex from plain english. i know enough to know that i need that poo poo, but i've never bothered to learn it properly, so it's great for a lazy rear end in a top hat like me.
one of the devs i work with was sharing his screen with me as we were working through some video stuff and he straight up went to chatGPT for some command line ffmpeg stuff

it worked, so whatever saves you time dude

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

Blindsight

the part where Sarasti shakes Siri out of his "interpolating" is one of the greatest things ever written

also similar to all of these sorts of discussions, and especially if you were intrigued by that short story about the virtual person being tortured, check out Permutation City by Greg Egan

it has a theory about virtual consciousness/persistence of the self that's wild and uncovered in such a neat way

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

prove conclusively that you have an inner model or grasp of abstract concepts and i'll answer you

prove to me conclusively that I'm not in a simulation and you're not AI

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

webcams for christ posted:

1. an AI/non-conscious person would not be able to come up with philosophies, questioning its sense of self, or religion, in a vacuum

2. these things existed before you did, so there must have been at least one «real» person besides yourself at some point in the past

3. what’s more likely, that there were only ever two real people on this planet, or that everyone is real?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ymgve posted:

1. an AI/non-conscious person would not be able to come up with philosophies, questioning its sense of self, or religion, in a vacuum

2. these things existed before you did, so there must have been at least one «real» person besides yourself at some point in the past

3. what’s more likely, that there were only ever two real people on this planet, or that everyone is real?

that's exactly what an Agent Smith would say. nice try

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

webcams for christ posted:

a simulation would be less stupid than reality

an ai would make good posts sometimes

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
loving nobody would simulate a world this stupid unless they were in a world just as stupid and could learn something from ours.

Given we're not even close to simulating a world, this leads us to conclude this is reality.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

loving nobody would simulate a world this stupid unless they were in a world just as stupid and could learn something from ours.

Given we're not even close to simulating a world, this leads us to conclude this is reality.

this is the torment nexus

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Oglethorpe posted:

Only a world that is the torment nexus would create the torment nexus, therefore this is still Samsara.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Prove to me solipsism is wrong. :smug:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

everything is real and true, including contradictions. therefore, it is necessarily true that solipsism is wrong.

trivialism ftw

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I you imagined the whole world yourself, why did you make yourself look like that

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Oglethorpe posted:

Sim City is a video game where you can create and populate a city and watch all the little computer people putter around in the world you made.

and when you get bored with it, you turn on the cheat codes and Godzilla shows up.

god is a bored idiot child.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

uber_stoat posted:

Sim City is a video game where you can create and populate a city and watch all the little computer people putter around in the world you made.

and when you get bored with it, you turn on the cheat codes and Godzilla shows up.

We are the first time D&D players spending 200,000 years creating our characters just right and God is the rear end in a top hat DM who dropped an eldrich horror on us and wiped the party.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ikanreed posted:

I you imagined the whole world yourself, why did you make yourself look like that

Nice try. I'm actually really hot

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

stop imagining what your imagined mom said

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ikanreed posted:

Maybe they're doing a challenge run

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you make yourself look just incredibly loving ugly then you can actually sequence break some scripted events and cutscenes because people don't want to look at you. It's speedrun tech

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Actually I don't exist, just call me the human vampire baby

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

you already accept the argument that there is a 'me' which implies an other, something which is not 'me' ergo solipsism in your case is wrong

in our case, however,

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ymgve posted:

I have no firsthand evidence of anything existing before I did.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Turn off your monitor

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

christmas boots posted:

I have no firsthand evidence of anything existing before I did.

I mean, unless you personally came up with those concepts and taught them to the world, someone else also came up with them.

Or you can just throw your hands in the air and say the world came into being yesterday fully formed with a fake history, I guess.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

ymgve posted:

I mean, unless you personally came up with those concepts and taught them to the world, someone else also came up with them.

Or you can just throw your hands in the air and say the world came into being yesterday fully formed with a fake history, I guess.

Incorrect. the world is going to come into existence with a fake history tomorrow

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

Incorrect. the world is going to come into existence with a fake history tomorrow

As a serial procrastinator this seems most likely

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

false, that happened last thursday

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Prove to me that it's worth discussing, given that you'll eventually die at which point your existence will end and thus the very question will be (and already is) meaningless.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

uber_stoat posted:

No that's the Craftsman, God is the computer or maybe like the electrons?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I've been following naomi wu since she came up in the thread and it hasn't been disappointing.

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1624417606416596993?t=gCbwBdY_oXybluNxoMdPIw&s=19

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1624417614385778688?t=TEAelrhgcWSs9Z75s8BfIw&s=19

A whole thread with more pics

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1624420177902473216?t=wCLSfgeTeQYDDIm0h_Rh4g&s=19

I mean maybe, but still seems pretty dystopian.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
"my income depends on gaming an arbitrary and capricious algorithm for the attention of my betters" is about as cyberpunk dystopia as things get.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

she says they are very safe but several have baseball bats with them ?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Antonymous posted:

she says they are very safe but several have baseball bats with them ?

Asia is home to some of the only professional baseball players outside the US. They could just be fans.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the ringlights

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i can 100% understand why you'd want to just chill on the sidewalk like that if you were getting paid for it but what i don't understand is the guys who are giving them money.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Al! posted:

the ringlights

it really is a ringworld

red19fire
May 26, 2010

WILL DEBASE SELF FOR CREDITS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
oh wow people want to give attractive women money ... ???