Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
wagons are just big booty hatchbacks :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So sedans are just the Hank Hills of hatchbacks. Works for me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Wagons are welcomed in the hot hatch thread, we have already been over this many times :colbert:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

MunchE posted:

Yup, it's fully customizable too. It has different gauges for the different modes and in N mode it just goes to Tach in the middle with your temps and boost around the side. Or if you want you can force all the modes to use your favorite gauge faces. It's been a lot of fun playing with the split personality stuff in the car.

How long have you had the VN? Any issues I should watch out for?

I've had the VN for 1.5 years now. Haven't had any issues so far, knock on wood. Heard that Elantra's (some?) had a recall for something, but nothing for Veloster. I was impressed with the customization options on Veloster, but this is just on another level. I only have a small screen on the dash.

skipdogg posted:

How much was it to change the filter?

Sometimes I have the dealer do it if it's on special for 39.95. The filter for my car is 20 bucks, and another 20 to not have to deal with it isn't the end of the world. It's only a 5 minute job though, so depends on my mood.

I don't know exactly, I think it's around $60CAD or so. I don't have the knowledge, tools or space to do it so for me it's an actual mechanic no matter what. Plus, it's still in warranty so that kinda means the dealer.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So much goats

Edit: I’m really trying to convince myself one way or the other on buying another car. ‘96 Subaru Vivio RX-R. 660cc supercharged 4-cylinder, AWD, with a clean PA title and fresh timing belt.

I have so many other things I can spend the money on…

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 30, 2023

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

So as mentioned upthread I had been planning to buy a GR Corolla, and was going to mount some Fifteen52s that I absolutely love.

I still love these rims but... uh, IDK. Not sure that it works so well on the JCW Countryman I got instead.
Thoughts?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I love the white Turbomacs but I don’t think that looks good at least in the mock-up. Maybe a different color would work but it’s not doing anything for me.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah pretty much what I thought. Would like to mock these Konigs up but unfortunately it looks like only Fifteen52 bothers to shoot a photo of a rim dead-on center

I reckon these would look fantastic

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Jeez if we’re letting sedans in here I might as well post my kid’s looooooooooooong hatch

Seen alongside a trunk hatch, a tall hatch, and a real hatch.

Wagons are hatches, at least until we get our own thread. Also that long roof owns, the spoiler makes me think it’s an R? But no pegasus wheels

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TheBacon posted:

Wagons are hatches, at least until we get our own thread. Also that long roof owns, the spoiler makes me think it’s an R? But no pegasus wheels

Nah just a regular V70 S. Non-turbo FWD, but manual. A massive 162hp.

One R is probably maintenance debt enough for this household.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Nah just a regular V70 S. Non-turbo FWD, but manual. A massive 162hp.

One R is probably maintenance debt enough for this household.

Lmao fair, but also hell ya manual. Owns bones bud

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JohnCompany posted:

Is that the generation that had the weird little "fast" cartoon ball thing mascot?
Probably...cause that thing was also a rabbit:

https://cartype.com/pages/2057/volkswagen_fast_mascot

MunchE posted:

Yup, it's fully customizable too. It has different gauges for the different modes and in N mode it just goes to Tach in the middle with your temps and boost around the side. Or if you want you can force all the modes to use your favorite gauge faces. It's been a lot of fun playing with the split personality stuff in the car.

How long have you had the VN? Any issues I should watch out for?
If you have the DCT there's a recall on it...which is just a software update so the failure state is just a limp mode vs completely shutting down the car. I remember something else with seatbelt tensioners exploding but not sure that applies to the EN.

Otherwise this one might specific to downsizing on the Kona N, but if you swap wheels, watch for the brake clearance. I plan to go down from 19s to 18s, which generally should fit, but some wheels don't give enough internal clearance for the brakes on the KN at least.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TheBacon posted:

Lmao fair, but also hell ya manual. Owns bones bud

He traded it for a jeep he’d paid $300 for and put a few hundo more into. If the wagon had been auto it wouldn’t have even hit his radar.

308k miles and needed zero things for safety inspection. PO did an 850R IPD exhaust on it, IPD filter, Koni shocks, Eibach springs, new tires, Powerstop brakes etc etc.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

At this point, this is the “sporty consumer car” thread. Not an SUV? Not a truck? Not a dedicated Sports Car? It belongs in the Hot Hatch thread.

Cause like… where else was a WRX or Jetta GLI gonna go? They belong in here, with us, alongside weirdo Volvos and maybe (if someone’s bold) a Roadmaster Wagon.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
How the hell does this makes any sense?

From vw.ca:

And used ones from autotrader.ca:

And they're ALL "Below market", jfc.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 31, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

One says “performance,” so it has to be the top of the line, see?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

japtor posted:

Probably...cause that thing was also a rabbit:

https://cartype.com/pages/2057/volkswagen_fast_mascot

If you have the DCT there's a recall on it...which is just a software update so the failure state is just a limp mode vs completely shutting down the car. I remember something else with seatbelt tensioners exploding but not sure that applies to the EN.

Otherwise this one might specific to downsizing on the Kona N, but if you swap wheels, watch for the brake clearance. I plan to go down from 19s to 18s, which generally should fit, but some wheels don't give enough internal clearance for the brakes on the KN at least.

They did a stop sale for the DCT issue so I assume mine got the update.

I'd love to go down to 18s for track tires but I'm gonna run it at time attack and AutoX a bit and see how the stock tires do. On my S4 I actually ran better times on PS4S than my RT660s.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Dr. Lunchables posted:

At this point, this is the “sporty consumer car” thread. Not an SUV? Not a truck? Not a dedicated Sports Car? It belongs in the Hot Hatch thread.

Cause like… where else was a WRX or Jetta GLI gonna go? They belong in here, with us, alongside weirdo Volvos and maybe (if someone’s bold) a Roadmaster Wagon.

Hey I also have a Roadmaster Wagon

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MunchE posted:

They did a stop sale for the DCT issue so I assume mine got the update.

I'd love to go down to 18s for track tires but I'm gonna run it at time attack and AutoX a bit and see how the stock tires do. On my S4 I actually ran better times on PS4S than my RT660s.
Time attack and auto X reminded me of the brake override. Only really matters if you do left foot braking for trail braking and such, but basically I think at some amount of brake pressure it'll cut off the accelerator input. I get it as an emergency thing, but it doesn't seem like a huge amount required so can unexpectedly come up in regular (well, aggressive driving) use.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sarcastx posted:

Yeah pretty much what I thought. Would like to mock these Konigs up but unfortunately it looks like only Fifteen52 bothers to shoot a photo of a rim dead-on center

I reckon these would look fantastic
Tire Rack has a "how would these wheels look on your car" thing with a pretty good selection to pick from. They don't seem to stock Konigs but you can probably find something with a similar appearance to get you in the ballpark.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sarcastx posted:

So as mentioned upthread I had been planning to buy a GR Corolla, and was going to mount some Fifteen52s that I absolutely love.

I still love these rims but... uh, IDK. Not sure that it works so well on the JCW Countryman I got instead.
Thoughts?

That looks dope as hell fyi

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wolrah posted:

Tire Rack has a "how would these wheels look on your car" thing with a pretty good selection to pick from. They don't seem to stock Konigs but you can probably find something with a similar appearance to get you in the ballpark.
I'd say the visualizers and really simple photoshops don't necessarily do a great job, just cause they can look quite a bit off vs the real thing. Just cause something looks good/bad there doesn't mean it'll translate in the real world.

Ideally there's someone with the same or similar car and wheels that'll pop up in an image search, like if you look for Countryman and Fifteen52 or Turbomac there's a first gen white one with them.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I want a Volvo hot hatch.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

a mysterious cloak posted:

I want a Volvo hot hatch.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I really do like the C30. A lot.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cross posting:

Scored a Mishimoto exhaust for the FiST at a reasonable price from the eBay and got it put on today in about 50 minutes. It’s pretty quiet compared to the clips I’d heard on YouTube but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, I guess.

I sweat the tips are level!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cross posting:

Scored a Mishimoto exhaust for the FiST at a reasonable price from the eBay and got it put on today in about 50 minutes. It’s pretty quiet compared to the clips I’d heard on YouTube but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, I guess.

Is this the second car you’ve moved that plate to? I feel like I’ve seen it around AI before.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is this the second car you’ve moved that plate to? I feel like I’ve seen it around AI before.

At least the second. Possible the third or fourth. It usually gets put on whatever I’m dailying at the time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Cross posting:

Looks slick!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey thread I haven’t been here in awhile, couple quick questions. My buddy is looking at getting a 2019 Veloster N with just under 10k miles and I was wondering:

-Car is a good idea right?

-Anything mechanically notorious to look at in such a young car?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Rolo posted:

Hey thread I haven’t been here in awhile, couple quick questions. My buddy is looking at getting a 2019 Veloster N with just under 10k miles and I was wondering:

We drove one back to back with a Type R and a G70 2.0/manual.

It was definitely the loudest and least comfortable of the three but didn't feel any less capable than the Type R. That is to say, it handled extraordinarily well, to the extent that it did that zippy go-kart feel a bit better even than the Type R. Trunk is small for the hatchback segment, and the rear seat is tight (I could not sit straight, I'm 6'6" so that's typical). If you don't regularly drive 9 hours at a time, it may well be best in class.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
He commutes about 45 minutes a day and has a 6 year old that will take up the back until he weighs enough but that’s it. He also has access to a beater truck if he needs it.

He basically just wants to get into cars and loves the one he test drove. I’m being a dork and checking for anything lemon-like because I know nothing about them.

It’s the performance blue with the N Performance package so at the bare minimum it looks rad as hell.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi Hot Hatch thread. Just drove my new-to-me 2017 GLA45 home today. Coming from an ‘08 Mazda3 that was more check engine light than car, so this is a breath of fresh air.

Posted here a while back about a Veloster so it’s now obvious I did… not go in that direction.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Congrats on the new purchase, always loved the GLA. That one looks gorgeous in black with those AMG wheels.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Very nice, there's one in my neighbourhood that I always drool over when I'm walking the dog.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

some kinda jackal posted:

Hi Hot Hatch thread. Just drove my new-to-me 2017 GLA45 home today. Coming from an ‘08 Mazda3 that was more check engine light than car, so this is a breath of fresh air.

Posted here a while back about a Veloster so it’s now obvious I did… not go in that direction.

How many Abarths do you currently own?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Rolo posted:

He commutes about 45 minutes a day and has a 6 year old that will take up the back until he weighs enough but that’s it. He also has access to a beater truck if he needs it.

He basically just wants to get into cars and loves the one he test drove. I’m being a dork and checking for anything lemon-like because I know nothing about them.

It’s the performance blue with the N Performance package so at the bare minimum it looks rad as hell.

Sup hot hatch thread, it's been a minute.

I had a 2019 (or was it an 18?) Veloster N for a short time and loving loved it. The only problem I had with it was the e-brake, which would freeze up if I parked it for more than 24 hours. Was sad to see it go, but I couldn't afford two cars. The blue is super sharp and the 3rd door will help with loading the kiddo in and out. It sings you a happy little song when you get in and compared to my FiST the creature comforts are a huge upgrade. Fun car, your friend will love it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

How many Abarths do you currently own?

If we are judging by the picture, zero. Those look like 500 Sports.

I wish the GLA came in manual. I love the sound of them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah that number is definitely zero. The photo is from the dealer’s garage and there were a surprising number of 500s about :O

And thanks! I was hunting for a white or red GLA but the black really grew on me quickly, which is good because that’s what it came in lol. It feels very understated in black without the body kit which is pretty much the look I was going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Rolo posted:

One thing to keep in mind is the 10 year/100k warranty is basically halved for the second owner so he's buying a car that's just about to go out of warranty unless it's dealer CPO