Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Yeah uh 1997 passed Radmonger by I guess. I recall some similar hysterical 'the Tories might never be in office again!' stuff in the early 2000s or so and, well *points at reality*

Here’s a graph of Tory MPs in Scotland over time. You can quite clearly see 1997 actually is the point when they were never again going to return to being a relevant political force. The whole idea of Scotland being an inherently liberal and progressive country is downstream of that result..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-scotland-32621862.amp

It wouldn’t have taken a miracle for that to happen in England and Wales too. For example, the key vote on the invasion of Iraq was swung by a handful of MPs and ministers. On maybe Saddam chokes on a pretzel and the question never gets asked.

I’m not trying to predict the future; it is uncertain. My point is merely that that uncertainty encompasses good things as well as bad

If better things are possible, then better things can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apraxin posted:

we're probably a year or two out from deepfake videos that look properly authentic tot he naked eye, and once those start going viral i don't know how reality-based society is going to survive.
Nothing will be done until one of the tories pops up as the subject of a deepfake, and then we get a full on butlerian jihad.

E: As a more serious response, most people are good at filtering out photoshops and 'click here' ads on websites, we just haven't had to do anything about the people who haven't because it's just them getting ripped off. We're going to have to do something about people who can't tell a deepfake though because they're the ones who are going to end up radicalised or killing people.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 11, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The URL says it all:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/11/revealed-secret-cross-party-summit-held-to-confront-failings-of-brexit

Lol, and indeed lmao.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

Here’s a graph of Tory MPs in Scotland over time. You can quite clearly see 1997 actually is the point when they were never again going to return to being a relevant political force. The whole idea of Scotland being an inherently liberal and progressive country is downstream of that result..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-scotland-32621862.amp

It wouldn’t have taken a miracle for that to happen in England and Wales too. For example, the key vote on the invasion of Iraq was swung by a handful of MPs and ministers. On maybe Saddam chokes on a pretzel and the question never gets asked.

*coughs and splutters*

Yeah I think there might be something hello independence movement or other going on in Scotland that makes it just a little bit different to England and Wales.
I will also note Scotland had 11 Tory MPs in 1992 and 10 in 1987 so 'relevant political force in Scotland' is already doing some pretty loving heavy lifting there.

Edit: and the vote for war with Iraq went through 412 to 149, at the personal insistence of the Prime Minister at the time let us not forget. Are you literally from some kind of alternate reality?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 11, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

*coughs and splutters*

Yeah I think there might be something hello independence movement or other going on in Scotland that makes it just a little bit different to England and Wales.
I will also note Scotland had 11 Tory MPs in 1992 and 10 in 1987 so 'relevant political force in Scotland' is already doing some pretty loving heavy lifting there.

Edit: and the vote for war with Iraq went through 412 to 149, at the personal insistence of the Prime Minister at the time let us not forget. Are you literally from some kind of alternate reality?

And, uh, 13 in 2017.

The party that has most consistently collapsed as a political force in scotland since 1997, is arguably labour.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 11, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Rename think tanks to dumb ponds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
piss vars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like a septic tank, where waste ideas go to sit until someone comes along with a big truck and hoovers up all the poo poo ideas and keith is driving the truck.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Apraxin posted:

yeah, it's loving everywhere now. was reading about people living in the village near where that lady went missing in the wyre complaining about 'ghouls' flocking to the village after seeing the news coverage; started off talking about psychics, true crime obsessives etc., and then just casually threw in 'also a lot of people are banging on the villagers doors and even trying to force their way into their homes because they believe in a conspiracy circulating online that she was abducted by a powerful, international sex-trafficing ring through a secret network of tunnels under the river and is being hidden in a house nearby', and it's just like. ah.

we're probably a year or two out from deepfake videos that look properly authentic tot he naked eye, and once those start going viral i don't know how reality-based society is going to survive.

Hah, nonsense. The geology's all wrong for it. You'd relocate those tunnels up valley towards Abbeystead before your sex trafficing plan got past feasibility studies, let alone TWAO. That's where the other big tunnels are in the area, forming part of the Lune-Wyre water transfer system. Obviously you'd have to provide appropriate ventilation to control the risk of methane ingress from the coal bearing substrata and that could compromise the secrecy of your plans, but it's better than trying to work through the tunneler's nightmare of waterlogged sands and clays that exists further down the Wyre valley. Just ask United Utilities, they've had a TBM stuck beneath Preston since about 2013 and nobody has a clue how to get it back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sell it on ebay but as "buyer to collect"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

Just ask United Utilities, they've had a TBM stuck beneath Preston since about 2013 and nobody has a clue how to get it back.
That's exactly what I'd be saying about my secret buried child macerator too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That's exactly what I'd be saying about my secret buried child macerator too.

Tell them that Suella's behind it all and watch the fireworks when the conspiracy nuts get kicked in the head by the police and sent to Rwanda.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol. Just rancid corruption

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1624321052032499714?s=46&t=a9FqpVHwiClLlII7Puy2Aw

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It was a jape!
A lark!
Boys will be boys.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

Sell it on ebay but as "buyer to collect"

Wasn't that tried with one of the channel tunnel diggers?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Wasn't that tried with one of the channel tunnel diggers?

The costa concordia at least.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe inspired by the song, which I just found out that the Longest Johns did a cover of too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKsVidS70xQ

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It's like a septic tank, where waste ideas go to sit until someone comes along with a big truck and hoovers up all the poo poo ideas and keith is driving the truck.
You just reminded me of that video of Keith asking if he passed the van driving test and being told no, and just laughing like an idiot.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1624443008958582786

... I guess views like this are becoming mainstream now :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

I'd agree somewhat with that if the different name the right were regrouping and reorganising under wasn't "The Labour Party".

As a helpful illustration, this is what the Shadow Immigration Secretary was saying just yesterday before the riot:

https://twitter.com/skinnock/status/1624047637291839490?s=46&t=1-xHlY3f9tDBsyYKx7XfoA

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This honestly does remind me of early 2000s Australia - "STOP THE BOAAAAATS"

Spoiler: The asylum processing centres were actually detention centres and terrible in conditions.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Diet Crack posted:

This honestly does remind me of early 2000s Australia - "STOP THE BOAAAAATS"

Spoiler: The asylum processing centres were actually detention centres and terrible in conditions.

So working as intended then

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson, imo the best sketch show ever made by a wide margin. It is absolutely loving hilarious and I couldn’t recommend it enough.

I found out about it from jazz legend Marcus ‘The Worm’ Hicks when he was on the Colgate Comedy Hour.

I tend to agree, it's hilarious.

But comedy is ephemeral, it will age in time just like all the others

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Coming over here, stealing none of our no jobs.
Not getting our free healthcare that we weren't getting anyway.
Getting our useless money that buys less every minute.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Driving up hotel prices? Preventing me from holidaying in Basildon or whatever the gently caress

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/nesrinemalik/status/1624487626303471617?s=46&t=a9FqpVHwiClLlII7Puy2Aw

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Driving up hotel prices? Preventing me from holidaying in Basildon or whatever the gently caress

you could go to aroma then try and steal part of the basvegas sign

that's my plans for the half term holidays anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1624443008958582786

... I guess views like this are becoming mainstream now :(
I've been listening to the Behind the Bastards on Nicolae Ceaușescu, and I think if him and people like him were forced to destroy their own homes and possessions and heirlooms at gunpoint and then forcibly separated from their families to live in controlled accommodation quarrying limestone then there'd be a lot less refugees and asylum seekers coming here, because people tend to avoid countries like that.

Food for thought. Which is the only food he'd be getting unless he made his limestone quota.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MerseyPensioner/status/1624360054995525632

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

radmonger posted:

The whole idea of Scotland being an inherently liberal and progressive country

have you been to scotland my friend :/

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

We are doomed

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
No idea who they are, other than the obvious, but Merseyside pensioners association sounds like an intriguing group

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think my brain has developed synasthesia because I parsed that as "the cry laughing emoji but as a font"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

We are doomed

Remember Proper comedians? They'd come around at the crack of dawn and tell jokes up and down your whole street, no complaints, they just got on with it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

We are doomed

isn’t bobby davro a meme or something, a pisstake comment in league of gentleman? it’s in the back of my mind

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lol when even the archest neoliberals are starting to realise that Starmer is utterly poo poo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought Bobby Davro was dead

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

We are doomed

More like Duncan Snorevelle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/445926596143095809