Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Too sick this weekend for Real Gaming so I'm watching my fav DBD streamer while playing the new Holocure update. :cheerdoge:

not to worry, I'll game enough for two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Monkey Fracas posted:

Kinda hope there's more playable characters like in the demo builds so we get this back in the final game

World 3 had a level where I was put in control of a man riding a rat for 80% of it so maybe. The transition was very funny

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I got to watch him play said game and it is indeed an experience.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pizza Tower is great but if you just want another Wario Land it’s not quite that, it’s all about speed and combos and has actual challenge. I bounced off it after the first boss but that’s just because it wasn’t what I was looking for, it’s still a v good game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah playing a CRPG simulating a TTRPG that is all about system mastery and planning your build 20 levels in advance otherwise you're literally unable to advance seems like not a great time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah that sounds like a bad time but isn't Kingmaker or Wrath. It's as easy or hard as you want it to be, and even at the hardest difficulties the minmax builds are still OP overkill. You could set the game to be basically a diablo that plays itself.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Yeah both of the Pathfinder games have incredible granularity in how you can set the difficulty up so it can be as hard or easy as you want

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Been thinking about Rhythm Heaven a lot lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuAgccyZVJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJi22o1FIXs

real time footage of the inside of my brain at any given moment

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014
I've been playing Final Fantasy VII Remake and am conflicted on my feelings toward it. For context, FF VII on the ps1 was my first rpg experience so there's thick nostalgia goggles, that I can't deny. I remember playing the old game in black/white at first because I had a tv with a bad scart connection.

Starting with the remake, it was awesome seeing the bombing mission intro recreated with modern graphics. I like the combat system well enough, although I don't really feel like I have a grip on it.

I'm currently at chapter 12 and I find myself playing in short sessions until I hit the next bench. Stretching Midgar to a full length game was a bold idea, but I feel it kind of screws with the breakneck pace of the original. And for all the extra time it has taken so far, there were some emotional beats that were probably meant to hit me but left me cold and wanting to skip the slow dialogues.

I don't envy the developers having to recreate such an iconic game. From what little I have gathered about the direction the story is taking, it's cool how they made something that can stand on it's own that's not meant to just ape/replace the original.

But yeah, all the new content was cool at first but now I'm getting kind of tired of being in Midgar. Does it pick back up in later chapters?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

LionEyez posted:

But yeah, all the new content was cool at first but now I'm getting kind of tired of being in Midgar. Does it pick back up in later chapters?

for better or worse, the game stays pretty slow-paced throughout, even in the game's final chapters. it's probably the complaint i hear about it the most

the combat really carried the game for me, it opens up a lot as you get more abilities and manages to be both hectic and strategic in a way that not many games manage! so you have that to look forward to

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Pizza Tower is great but if you just want another Wario Land it’s not quite that, it’s all about speed and combos and has actual challenge. I bounced off it after the first boss but that’s just because it wasn’t what I was looking for, it’s still a v good game

Yeah none of the puzzle elements seem to be there- looks like they took the momentum speed stuff and escape sequences of WL4 and just built the game around that idea

Which owns I believe

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah none of the puzzle elements seem to be there- looks like they took the momentum speed stuff and escape sequences of WL4 and just built the game around that idea

Which owns I believe

And Shinesparking from Metroid. Lots of Shinesparking.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

EightFlyingCars posted:

for better or worse, the game stays pretty slow-paced throughout, even in the game's final chapters. it's probably the complaint i hear about it the most

the combat really carried the game for me, it opens up a lot as you get more abilities and manages to be both hectic and strategic in a way that not many games manage! so you have that to look forward to

Hm thanks. I haven't followed any discussions on it...I thought the reviews when it came out were all 9/10.

Unfortunately the combat hasn't quite clicked for me yet in that way (Might be a player issue though, I don't really know what I'm doing)

Does anyone know of a good analysis on the FFVII Remake? I want to see if someone can help me articulate why I'm not blown away as much as I hoped. The old game, ugly as it was with badly animated untextured lego people, made teenage me feel attached to the characters & story. While this extravaganza does not.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LionEyez posted:

I want to see if someone can help me articulate why I'm not blown away as much as I hoped. The old game, ugly as it was with badly animated untextured lego people, made teenage me feel attached to the characters & story. While this extravaganza does not.

a lot of it simply has to do with time, no matter how much we try to deny it (and i'm certainly guilty of this plenty). playing a specific video game, especially during a formative time of hardship and change, is going to stick with you well into the future, while a game that you're playing now, removed from then by decades, is necessarily going to lack that punch. this isn't to say that FF7R is some perfect masterpiece without flaw, or that FF7 never had anything compelling about outside of the context of which it was played, but that a high budget remake version of your childhood favorite is always going to be missing the lazy afternoons of yesteryear to play it in, and that can matter a lot when it comes to reception

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The ff7r character models are too gorgeous imho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LionEyez posted:

Does anyone know of a good analysis on the FFVII Remake? I want to see if someone can help me articulate why I'm not blown away as much as I hoped. The old game, ugly as it was with badly animated untextured lego people, made teenage me feel attached to the characters & story. While this extravaganza does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4H5ykBP0I

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

The ff7r character models are too gorgeous imho

everyone in that game is outrageously pretty, it's insane

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

everyone in that game is outrageously pretty, it's insane

sube
Nov 7, 2022

playing death stranding and am half-way through chapter 3 :cheers: will probably increase difficulty since i'm at normal and the only hinderance is BTs being a mild annoyance (and even then i can now just kill them easily)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I liked FF7R until you got to the slums which had a bunch of boring quests that felt like padding. I know you can ignore them but my brain wouldn't let me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

hatty posted:

I liked FF7R until you got to the slums which had a bunch of boring quests that felt like padding. I know you can ignore them but my brain wouldn't let me

The sidequest stuff definitely sucked.

There were some things that I wasn't super hot on in FF7. I didn't enjoy the sidequests, and I didn't like that you had to do all them in one section so that Aeris could get her best outfit. Granted the best outfit looks amazing but still. This may not seem like a big deal but I really didn't like that you don't get the choice to give the flower to Marlene. I wasn't really into the combat system too much. It looked pretty and flashy but I legitimately wanted turned based. The final battle was absolutely terrible, I can't believe what a mess it was. Really the combat and the sidequests both really soured the overall experience for me. I appreciate what they tried to do but I liked the turn based combat of the original and really just wanted that with a new coat of paint. I also wish they would've been straight up from the beginning in the advertising what the remake is doing. The stuff they added when watching the trailers I just assumed it was to help pad the time in Midgar since you spend a relatively small amount of time there in the original compared to how big the game is. But it turns out no, there's this whole thing with timelines and certain characters being aware of what's going to or supposed to happen, entire events being different, etc. Which on its own I'm totally down for, now that I've played the remake and seen what they're doing here, I'm interested in seeing what they are going to do with the concept. But I just wish they advertised it as that instead of making it seem like it's an regular remake of the original, which it only sort of is. I might be in the minority about this though in not wanting that aspect to be a surprise when they were marketing it to me. I HATE HATE HATE that you go back into the Sector 7 slums after the plate falls. I HATE IT. It's by far my least favorite thing they added to the remake. The plate is supposed to fall and just completely crush everyone beneath it. No one is supposed to survive that, you literally can't go back in the original because the way in is nothing but rubble now. In the remake, the plate falls and then you get sent back into the slums and you just... can. You can easily go in, the buildings are STILL STANDING, people are still alive. It's more like an earthquake hit than an entire part of Midgar coming down and crushing Sector 7. And you then do a whole series of quests there. I hated it, it was so stupid, it drives me crazy.

Now there are absolutely things I do like about FF7 remake. I love how it expands everyone's characters compared to the original. Barret especially feels much more thought out of a character. I like that we get more of Jesse. I love that they make Tifa and Aeris BFFs to the point where Cloud is almost a third wheel in the parts where it's all three of them. I love the extra stuff they added to the Honeybee Inn, that entire dance segment and how excited Aeris is for it is great. I love that they still preserved the characters' personalities. Barret may shout and wave his gun around and be all angry, but he's got a heart of gold and is actually a huge softie underneath it all. Tifa despite being the hot punch girl with the short skirt is actually the biggest wallflower of the group, and Aeris despite being a flower girl wearing a pink outfit and being presented as the magic character and hanging out in an abandon church, is actually very sassy and sarcastic and way more outgoing than Tifa is. Cloud saying he nailed it with the dress is incredible. Climbing Shinra tower is really cool and if you look out you can see what the plate falling should've been like earlier, where the entire area is nothing but rubble. Most of the music is awesome. Some of the tracks I think really take away from the tone of the originals but for the most part they nailed the music updates. As someone else mentioned, everyone is hot. Every character in this game can get it.

I never played the Yuffie thing so I can only comment as someone who played the base Remake game. Some stuff worked for me, some didn't. At the end of the day I just came away from the game being kind of like "well that was fine". It kind of bums me out when someone tells me this is their introduction to FF7, because it's not the same game at all and a lot of changes kind of rely on your prior knowledge of the game anyway.

But seriously it's hosed up I can't give the flower to Marlene :mad:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tim Rogers def has the best crit of it period (though it's maybe not the takedown OP is hoping for), perfectly articulating both why he loved the game and why it's not an 'all timer' due to certain design principles. Love that video.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
got an OLED TV open box deal.... hollow knight OLED...... mein gott....

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

i miss stux

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What did he do this time

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
was mean to astral while astral was having a meltdown that saw him ban 25 people.

astral has since apologized and reversed most of the probes/bans but "could not find it in his heart" to forgive stux

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
needed to maintain a couple of the bans for appearances

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

doingitwrong posted:

was mean to astral while astral was having a meltdown that saw him ban 25 people.

astral has since apologized and reversed most of the probes/bans but "could not find it in his heart" to forgive stux

stuxed too close to the stars

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

More like sux

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sorry it was too easy

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Avara Kadavara

The good wizard game is still fun

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 12, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I always thought it'd be cool if there was like a classic old man type wizard with the star and moon robes and beard and everything, but when he has to fight he takes the top part of his robe off and he's just a buff as hell old man who uses his magic to lay the smacketh down on fools

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Buschmaki posted:

I always thought it'd be cool if there was like a classic old man type wizard with the star and moon robes and beard and everything, but when he has to fight he takes the top part of his robe off and he's just a buff as hell old man who uses his magic to lay the smacketh down on fools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Buschmaki posted:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edit: ^^^^ :argh:

You just described Muscle Wizard

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

The Immortal, kind of, right? You do have magic spells but most of the combat is just standing face to face with some goblin and God Handing until they get tired then chopping their rear end up

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Avara Kadavara

The good wizard game is still fun

Yes. A game I cannot manage to play but immensely love

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
I'm also in the middle of playing FF7R and while I was super hyped in the early game I felt like it's dragged out really hard towards the end. In my mind I think about upcoming screens from the original and then groan a bit when I reach them in R and realize that they've stretched them into full 30 minute dungeons. So many parts feel hyper linear and I'm surprised that I haven't seen it criticised in the way that people talk about 13. I think they've learned to put chests out of reach just enough that they're basically unmissable but also convince people they're not moving in one direction all the time.

I'm towards the end of hard mode now and enjoying it more with the faster pace from skipping cutscenes as well as the hard mode limitations (no items, very limited MP recovery options). The battle system is a lot of fun when you're pushed into engaging with the pressure and stagger mechanics.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah that is one of Tim Rogers's major arguments in the video I linked above, that the "hard mode" feels more like the design that accentuates the game's strengths, and the normal mode's "trinket ultimatum" of having those side paths for minor loot feels like a concession to "an rpg must have these elements" which feel almost vestigial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like a lot of why 13 gets guff for being linear and other linear FFs like 10 and 7R don't is because the latter two are better at using their visual design to ground their areas in the world, whereas a lot of 13's early areas, which is granted where a lot of people's bad impressions of 13 come from, are pretty abstract in design and in a world that takes quite a while to really establish itself, so those areas just feel more like Video Game Hallways