Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

A game that did those things competently would be great. There is no reason to believe 2023 Blizzard will do those things competently. There is a mountain of evidence to suggest the exact opposite

I hope it's good but I'm operating under the assumption it won't be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

big cummers ONLY posted:

A game that did those things competently would be great. There is no reason to believe 2023 Blizzard will do those things competently. There is a mountain of evidence to suggest the exact opposite

I hope it's good but I'm operating under the assumption it won't be

They gotta make a good game again one day!

…right? :(

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Ehud posted:

Reasons I'm excited to play D4:

- I love Diablo, but I cannot imagine doing the same D2 or D3 gameplay loops anymore. I've just put so many hours into those games, and I loved them, but I want something new to play in the Diablo universe.

- The combat looks fun to me.

- Open world Diablo sounds cool.

- I like that you're encouraged to explore the world and complete dungeons to unlock stuff (codex of power, I think?) that helps build up and customize your character. I always love the atmosphere in Diablo games, but there isn't usually a lot of incentive to go to most areas.

- The combination of class design, skill trees, paragon board, gear, etc. seems like it will open up a lot of cool character customization options.

- I like that they're launching with multiple endgame activities with nightmare dungeons, paragon board, whispers of the dead, and fields of hatred PVP stuff.

- I'm a big dumb idiot that things Diablo with live service features sounds like it will continue to feel fresh season-to-season.

If it's really going to be open world like they're saying the exploration stuff would go a long way I think. Give me something to do if I'm sick of blowing up demons that isn't bounties.

And then having an actual endgame in place that isn't run this rift but on a higher level would be awesome

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think there's certainly a case to be made to wait a year and then play D4.

But I won't.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh there's no way I'm buying it at launch unless the reviews are positive. But I'm not counting on that happening.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Ehud posted:

That might be true if making a good game was the goal and they just kept trying and failing, but I don't think that's the case.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh there's no way I'm buying it at launch unless the reviews are positive. But I'm not counting on that happening.

The reviews will be extremely positive, but I''m not sure what that has to do with anything.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Making a good game according to players and a profitable game often go hand in hand and in the 90s were basically conjoined. Nowadays those are two separate and independent targets and Activision has only been aiming at one of them for awhile.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Field Mousepad posted:

Well I expect them to have enough server capacity this time and to not implement an auction house. I think they've learned from those mistakes. What new mistakes are coming along, I don't know. I do know that nearly every game (that's not in Early Access) gets revised after community reaction and I'm sure D4 won't be an exception to that.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Ill buy D4 when the inevitable expansion [that actually makes the game enjoyable] comes out

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Well I expect them to have enough server capacity this time
A big ol' laffo at that.

Actually, wait. That paid early access thing is going to be a hilarious shitshow, isn't it? Oh my god.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I started playing D3 about 6-7 years after release, I expect to do the same with D4 (if it is good and if Blizzard are still around then).

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'll wait to see if it's successful enough for them to announce Diablo 5 before giving 4 any consideration.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
The only slim chance of me getting it is if I wanna showcase it to other people and use it as a conversation piece.

This probably will not happen, especially if I wait 24 hours and people say it's bad. Money's still on, "It'll probably be like a 6/10."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Diablo 2 just announced single-player Sunder charms*, so there's more than enough time to blow on playing that for another stretch of forever while D4 becomes good.

___

* charms that let specific elements break immunities in exchange for taking more damage from that same element - it effectively opens up all builds to be playable through Hell, since now even a single-element build can damage everything in the game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have no interest in playing any Diablo that's not 3.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I have no interest in playing any Diablo that's not 3.
TBH I bought the GoG version of D1 a while back, and if you can accept it as a game of its time it's actually a pretty good play.

People go on about D2's atmosphere, particularly as compared to D3's, but it has nothing on D1 imo.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Atmosphere goes down as fun to play goes up in Diablo games.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ehud posted:

unless they abandon it a year in I think they'll have a pretty fleshed out ARPG after 2 years

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I was in the mood for an ARPG and since I haven't played D3 since the time it was released I decided to go through the campaign again... is it supposed to be this ridiculously easy? I got so many life/sec and life/hit I've been seemingly unkillable since 30 minutes in and haven't used the health potion once since then. I mean five hours of mindlessly machine gunning arrows was kinda fun, not gonna lie, but still. I don't remember it like that :confused:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
You're supposed to switch to hard/master in story mode, once you have some basic yellow equipment sorted. Usually around lvl 30ish.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
One thing about the D2 remaster that really struck me was how good the music was. I think as a teenager I probably just turned it off and played smashmouth or something lmao

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

sauer kraut posted:

You're supposed to switch to hard/master in story mode, once you have some basic yellow equipment sorted. Usually around lvl 30ish.

Oooh, I didn't even notice I could switch difficulty, I had it in my head that would only be possible after a playthrough. Thanks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

External Organs posted:

One thing about the D2 remaster that really struck me was how good the music was. I think as a teenager I probably just turned it off and played smashmouth or something lmao

d2 ost works great on a lot of other games, too, it's so good.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have within this new year played all of the Diablo. Beaten 1 and 2, dabbled with the mobile game, messed about with 3. I had plenty of experience with all but the mobile game, but it's a wild ride anyway.

Diablo 1 is a totally different game than the others, it's absolutely not what I remembered. It's all about managing your pulls and only biting off what you can chew. You are weak as hell and enemies will kite you. The game is closer to survival-horror than action-adventure. Pretty great!

Diablo 2 is more annoying than I remember. Juggling potions is a hassle, Diablo is a huge difficulty spike, your inventory is tiny, and the skill tree can feel very incremental. Loot drops are common and satisfying IMO, the variety of classes is excellent, the abilities are generally really fun. Still a classic, and better than Diablo 3 was at launch.

Diablo 3 is so good now that I often forget how terrible it was at launch. The game feel is perfect. Hits feel meaty, abilities feel powerful, and running around the environment is responsive as hell. Adventure mode is where it's at. I will be replaying the campaign soon, maybe when the new ladder drops. Loot drops also feel just right. But man this game sucked rear end at launch. The loot drops were pathetic, the auction house was BAD, and the campaign was dumb. It wasn't fun to replay at the time. Diablo 4 has big shoes to fill IMO, cause this game rules.

Diablo Immortal plays like poo poo on PC, it's better on the phone cause they didn't adjust any UI poo poo for higher resolutions. I've played multiple Diablo-ish games on the phone that play better than this (Black Desert Mobile for instance). Constantly begging for microtransactions, tool tips that wont go away, in game notifications for limited-time events trying to induce FOMO. This game is incredibly annoying. The strong part of a Diablo game being the story is incredibly hosed up, but that's literally the best thing the game has going for it. From what I've seen, the story is better than D3.

I would also like to add that Witchdoctor is an incredibly fun class and is criminally underplayed.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I would also like to add that Witchdoctor is an incredibly fun class and is criminally underplayed.

I have really, really wanted ANY Witchdoctor build to get into the S-tier over the last several seasons, just because it's my least-played class (well, that or Barbarian). At least with this upcoming season being bugfuck nuts with the boosts, I might be able to make a good show of running one.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The spirit barrage set was the new hotness for pushing rifts last I saw, I tried it and it was a little too wonky for me. Helltooth/acid cloud has always been my personal go to.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

The spirit barrage set was the new hotness for pushing rifts last I saw, I tried it and it was a little too wonky for me. Helltooth/acid cloud has always been my personal go to.

I think I used that Spirit Barrage Munundugu set the first season they made it strong, but that feels like it must've been 6 or so seasons ago.

I've never done a GR 150, so that's my priority this season (and maybe getting those Cosmic Wings, I got every other cosmetic/pet/etc I was missing with the holiday items except that one), so if I can do that quickly with the altar's boosts, I'm gonna do a real weird Witch Doctor build for the rest of my playtime.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Arachyr spiders probably are an easier high push than Mundunugu spirit barrage now, since they don't take forever to kill a boss you don't need to spawn the RG sometime before 10 minutes to get the clear.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Haven't played a WD in forever, are there any builds that are good with sacrifice zombie dog?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There was some kind of thing you could do last season with the crucible power and Sacrifice, now not so much unless that functionality somehow gets added back on.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
The only thing I've seen Sacrifice used for basically since ROS launched is buffing yourself with Provoke the Pack in the 4p trash killer Mundunugu build, but almost nobody gets a witch doctor big enough or a zbarb good enough to make that build work.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Meanwhile necros chain exploding corpses like it's just a regular Tuesday. :sad:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I tried Nec as well as WD in season 27, both aborted as soon as I had 1-2 sets for each.
You know what's the cool thing to do for frail-rear end casters? Constantly running straight next to the biggest pack of enemies to pop off bone armor/harvest.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I might try an LoD corpse explosion or spear build for Necro but other than that the class is dead to me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Field Mousepad posted:

I might try an LoD corpse explosion or spear build for Necro but other than that the class is dead to me

isn't that the whole point

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Heyo!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I usually run one of each type class (STR/DEX/INT) so I can get rerolls easy for my followers/have options if the Conquests suck for a given season, but I might do Witch Doctor instead of Wizard and throw all caution to the dang wind!! It’s been a long time! gently caress that wind!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't been keeping up, but has Blizzard talked yet about what the end game will be like for Diablo IV at launch? Are rifts and greater rifts coming back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the dungeons are supposed to be the end game