Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FuturePastNow posted:

4-engine prop planes are rad and if I were a rich in need of executive transport, instead of a jet I'd get a Dash-7 luxed out

If I were so rich that "rich" is a valueless concept, then I'd have a turbo-converted Boeing Clipper.

the milk machine posted:

that reminds me of the lear fan 2100

I thought these were super common because I saw one hanging in some random museum in OKC and also at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. Turns out I'd just randomly walked into places that had 2/3 of the entire population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If I were so rich that "rich" is a valueless concept, then I'd have a turbo-converted Boeing Clipper.

I love the idea of a flying boat as an air/sea yacht, but I'd want an airframe that isn't 80-odd years old.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

I love the idea of a flying boat as an air/sea yacht, but I'd want an airframe that isn't 80-odd years old.

C-130 with huge pontoons

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

mllaneza posted:

All new build, of course. The concept that things have cost has lost meaning in this fantasy, which is good, because I could buy a 747 from the boneyard for less.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Well in that scenario a catalina simply isn't vinebago enough anymore, hello Short Sunderland Martin Mars and Saunders-Roe Princess

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Don't forget your little shore launch to go with it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Well in that scenario a catalina simply isn't vinebago enough anymore, hello Short Sunderland Martin Mars and Saunders-Roe Princess

i mean, why not just go all the way and pick up a spruce goose then
can probably get it to fly with just a couple turboprops these days :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Don’t forget the turboprop Do.24

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Truga posted:

Now that’s a truly worthless vanity project for some bored billionaire.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Safety Dance posted:

Wouldn't it be called AC-33?

Maybe, maybe not. It wasn't actually produced so it doesn't count, but stuff like that does sometimes get noticed and used. And yeah there are a bunch of options because the USAF wants to use all the numbers on 747s.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Truga posted:

More realistically, I think the Hawaii Mars is still for sale.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

the milk machine posted:

are there any fun facts / hot takes about the dash 7 or 8 (other than being canadian)?

i only fly in flight sims but to me they're both some of the coolest-looking civilian planes and i think turboprops are neato

There’s a video somewhere of a Dash-7 hovering over the runway, then flying backward a bit before touching down.

Transport Canada still flies one for pollution surveillance. They have extremely good cameras. I moon it every chance I get.

The Twin Otter is still in widespread service, especially for “lol runway” applications.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FrozenVent posted:

There’s a video somewhere of a Dash-7 hovering over the runway, then flying backward a bit before touching down.

This one? It doesn’t exactly fly backwards but the landing they show off is pretty absurd.

https://youtu.be/ezjfU4KtZtc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I assume that takeoff is empty.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BBC has a not-terrible fluff piece on high altitude balloon technology today

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230210-what-it-takes-to-build-a-balloon-for-100000ft

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Hear me out: Turbo Constellation

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

My Airship Flights by Capt. George Meager

Excerpts from a book in a series of short, low effort posts

Sorry this is late, the death of a friend made posting no fun. One of the last things he said to me that while he hated air travel and domestically always drove or used trains, he'd be down for airship flying.

Just FYI, I've no idea if this origin story is true or not. Er, where the word blimp comes from, not if Meager saw porpoises

One pilot nicknamed the Count, mwa ha ha ha! Amazing name: Flt. Lt. Roach-Smith. Also, Meager, Rope, your fuel filter is getting clogged with mud? That's not normal for gas engines.

Meager gets advanced to being a Coastal class pilot. Pilots, check out this control system

Classic British understatement; yeet the jacket

Airships: like sailing ships with more turnbuckles

"There's your problem: engine isn't screwed into its mount."

Flying in thick fog with one or no engines

Now I'd be worried about machine-gunning a naval mine for fear it would explode

Don't ask me what the funeral procession took a break to do

There were two industrial methods for refining hydrogen during the First World War: one that sprayed superheated steam at iron to create rust and hydrogen, and the "ferrosilicol" process:

quote:

Thanks to some help from the Airship Trust who lent me some Hydrogen Manuals I can describe the silicol process as follows. Powdered ferrosilicon is fed in a controlled manner into a closed stirred tank containing a very hot, strong solution of caustic soda. The ferrosilicon reacts rapidly with the caustic soda, producing a mixture of steam and 99% pure hydrogen. Usually the gas is passed through cold water in a "scrubber" to condense the steam, collect the hydrogen and remove some of the (poisonous) impurities. The chemical reaction produces a lot of heat, which is used to keep the temperature of the tank at around 115 C. A residue consisting mainly of sodium silicate ("water glass") is left in the liquid in the tank. When the batch of caustic soda has become exhausted, the tank must be drained as soon as possible, otherwise the residue will solidify in the tank.

'Caustic soda' being Lye. So this process is reacting the slag left over in blast furnaces (mix of sand, IE silicon and iron) slowly, because the reaction is very energetic with the...high test Lye? and the product is steam and hydrogen, so all of this has to be pressurized, too.

So I came across this in a book I read, and I was confused until I read what 'caustic soda' was

Speaking of accidents, Ft. Lt. Hogg-Turnover had a wild ride

7 hours on top of a blimp with a machine gun

Commodore Tyrrwitt

Emergency landing in an airship:

Next time: the Italian Job

The Author:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zoodpipe posted:

https://twitter.com/mr_jce/status/1623328115039563781?s=61&t=nvJvEih-BvVPWYxbJom7Ag

I was wondering if there would end up being video of this...Controlled Flight Into Plane

That tweet got taken down but someone posted another copy in the OSHA thread. I didn't catch it on the first view (in the tiny embedded window) but it's a simulation based on flight data

https://twitter.com/Brewjew308/status/1623449350679707648

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

That tweet got taken down but someone posted another copy in the OSHA thread. I didn't catch it on the first view (in the tiny embedded window) but it's a simulation based on flight data

The distances and scale of that simulation seems wrong.

Or, at least if the aircraft models and distances are correct the camera parameters differ drastically from human eyesight.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mobby_6kl posted:

So who was filming this and why can't we hear their screams

e: nevermind

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 11, 2023

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FuturePastNow posted:

Hear me out: Turbo Constellation

I'm in for phase 1 of your plan. Phase 2 better be amphibious.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Nebakenezzer posted:

Looks to be a screengrab from X-Plane 12. Coincidentally, both a 737-800 and A330-300 are default planes for that... but not a 767, which is what the Austin incident actually involved.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

FuturePastNow posted:

4-engine prop planes are rad and if I were a rich in need of executive transport, instead of a jet I'd get a Dash-7 luxed out

hell yes. propellors are much classier than the bougie turbofan

Ardeem posted:

Phone posting, but deHavilland 86.

this kicks so much rear end

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

doubleender super cub

whoah this thing is sweet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

New FS2020 feature: inane ambient dialog!
[*]in ground external views, you can now hear plane spotters incorrectly identifying aircraft and expressing shock at both normal and abnormal procedures
Additional content during cruise above 18,000ft includes:
[*]in the cockpit if you choose the right seat of an airliner enjoy over 12 hours of new true to life monologuing based on feedback from actual first officers!
[*]from the captain’s seat, now experience hours of voice work from actual first officers at legacy US carriers including “uh huh”, “wow”, “that was before I was born” and more!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume that takeoff is empty.

Probably, but the entire business model for the Dash-7 was to convert downtown parking lots into STOLports for businessmen going from city to city for business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_STOLport

It didn’t go anywhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That was the whole deal at LCY and then it was successful and it became worthwhile to extend the runway to accommodate larger jets. Victim of their own success!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

New FS2020 feature: inane ambient dialog!
[*]in ground external views, you can now hear plane spotters incorrectly identifying aircraft and expressing shock at both normal and abnormal procedures
Additional content during cruise above 18,000ft includes:
[*]in the cockpit if you choose the right seat of an airliner enjoy over 12 hours of new true to life monologuing based on feedback from actual first officers!
[*]from the captain’s seat, now experience hours of voice work from actual first officers at legacy US carriers including “uh huh”, “wow”, “that was before I was born” and more!

Non-optional feature: The inclusion of that creepy guy who keeps talking about the worst thing that could still happen while having a weirdly aroused look on his face instead of a concerned one whenever something abnormal happens.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Banner fukkin week and change for the Air Force. Domestic and foreign airspace kills in the same month.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Another day, another mystery object floating around

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/norad-shoots-down-unidentified-object-over-yukon-pm-trudeau-says-1.6270114

quote:

Norad shot down an "unidentified object" over Yukon on Saturday, an act Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he ordered after the object violated Canadian airspace

"Canadian and U.S. aircraft were scrambled, and a U.S. F-22 successfully fired at the object," Trudeau said in a statement on Twitter.

"I spoke with President Biden this afternoon. Canadian Forces will now recover and analyze the wreckage of the object. Thank you to NORAD for keeping the watch over North America."

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The next Top Gun movie is gonna be a weird one.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Tom Cruise vs the carnival

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I hope it's fuckin aliens

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pathetic that we need the US to defend our seniority, this would have never happened if Trudeau hadn’t cancelled the CF-105 program.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

I still think the entire movie is him in Purgatory undoing all the rotten poo poo he'd done in life. The entire message of the movie is "righting wrongs done."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still think the entire movie is him in Purgatory undoing all the rotten poo poo he'd done in life. The entire message of the movie is "righting wrongs done."

What did the North Iranians ever do to him?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
At this rate they should start sending up F-15s,.16s, 18s, and 35s so all those platforms can get themselves a kill and a sweet balloon painted under the canopy.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Always funny to remember that there's one Iranian pilot who has more F-14 kills than every US Tomcat pilot combined.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

At this rate they should start sending up F-15s,.16s, 18s, and 35s so all those platforms can get themselves a kill and a sweet balloon painted under the canopy.

Bring back the YF-12.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Bring back the YF-12.

Sidewinder rails on the TR-1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius