Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Fun fact: if you gently caress up and leave alear in lethal range on chapter 3 the ai will pretend it does not see it and just maximise damage instead of trying to game over you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

vander feels like he is very specifically a callback to fe6-marcus kind of Jeigan, where hes tuned to almost perfectly weaken enemies for your chosen one(s) to pick off, but marcus is a lot better at that job and is carried for longer because he also comes with good weapon ranks and a silver lance, which lets him delete a boss or problem unit or bail you out of poor positioning with a targeted kill. GBA mechanics in rescue also let him never really be that bad although its not like youre exactly hurting for cav/paladin choices in FE6.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The ch2 mom ai will also prioritize hitting Vander with the initial charge and then alear on subsequent turns, regardless of if there are targets she could kill or do more damage to.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
another protip that has saved my rear end very hard is the AI is extremely horny for the Lyn doubles and will go for them over nearly anything else if it can

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the AI is unaware that the Lyn doubles aren't "real" units but is aware that they only have 1 HP, so they see a very easy kill and go for them. They're incredibly useful as bait

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also if they happen to be yunaka clones they have a very decent chance of dodging and killing things with a counter-crit

Which is technically wasted experience, but also? Funny.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Veryslightlymad posted:

FE isn't ready for Hadokens.
you aay this, and yet, the divine dragon fist crit animation exists

(did i use fists on alear every time it was feasible, just because the animations were cooler: yes)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I never used the Lyn doubles as decoys much because because anyone with the Lyn ring is going to be one of your best units, and it's going to be more useful to have them enemy phase down some other enemy while you use a conventional tank or Corrin to limit the other attackers. This goes double in a game with the Forging and Engrave systems, where big investment in either also gives a lot of power. You have this god unit, so why are you using them to sink attacks instead of killing one or more enemies on the counter?

The decoys would be a great strategy if it was an ability on another ring, but on Lyn's the opportunity cost makes it a waste.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Because there are too many enemies to kill and drawing aggro is incredibly useful for way too many situations so you can advance with everyone instead of just your three or four ep units. For example the ballista map, Lyn doubles are invaluable for soaking up ammo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finished chapter 22, finally unlocked everything. Time to go on a paralogue spree.

Also, Citrinne's supports with Veyle are hilarious. Serious Hilda/Marianne vibes.

And then Alear was the Fire Emblem.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i’m goin deeper underground
there’s too much panette in this town

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There is no amount of Panette that is too much Panette.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ungulateman posted:

he is.

re: roy's design

i think the fact that he has a skill that gives his engage partner +5 Lv, referencing the part where he spends the entire game stuck at the level cap because of a plot-locked promotion, is insanely funny and single-handedly carries his kit in terms of 'feels like fe6', along with his weapon engrave making the weapon insanely loving heavy and ruining your avoid stat

I'm not sure I follow how +5 levels is a reference to that

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
The Lyn doubles aren't foolproof, though; even on Hard, if there's a unit that's one-shottable in enemy range, they'll prioritize them over a double.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hellioning posted:

There is no amount of Panette that is too much Panette.

fax

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

The doubles are useful for baiting bosses with Engage attacks in some cases too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Make vander a hero is the easiest solution.

I mean, multiple people are unironically making lindon a hero to clear easier.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not sure I follow how +5 levels is a reference to that

Imagine instead of Roy being an Emblem, the unit is Rescuing/carrying Roy the unit.

So Roy spends the whole game being carried around a unit that is higher level than he is.

You gotta squint but I can see it lol

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i'm still not sure what +5 levels actually does, mechanically, given how level up stat growths work. is it just fixed growths but invisible, or what?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Inu posted:

The doubles are useful for baiting bosses with Engage attacks in some cases too.

yes, and its about as hilarious as you think it is

they also, as a poster said upthread, inherit the avoid stat of their 'parent' unit, so they are actually quite capable of counter-hit killing units

also they proc alcryst's unique skill if they survive, as if they weren't busted enough lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The issue with Titania and Seth is that they're arguably too good in the early game. They one-round basically anything that comes their way, so unless you just park them in the corner of the map they're gonna be a bug zapper that draws in and destroys all the EXP. Vander, at least for the two maps he's relevant, fills his role better since he usually weakens enemies instead of flat-out killing them, so you can use him to feed kills to your weaker characters.

Blaziken386 posted:

i'm still not sure what +5 levels actually does, mechanically, given how level up stat growths work. is it just fixed growths but invisible, or what?

it's based on their growth rates

This is a Paladin Lapis with Roy, top is not engaged, bottom is engaged.

Paladin Lapis has 70% HP growth, 40% STR, 70% SPD, 50% DEF, 45% RES.
These are all multiplied by 5 then rounded to the nearest whole number.
70% x 5 = 350% --> +4 HP
40% x 5 = 200% --> +2 STR
70% x 5 = 350% --> +4 SPD
50% x 5 = 250% --> +3 DEF
45% x 5 = 225% --> +2 RES

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Blaziken386 posted:

you aay this, and yet, the divine dragon fist crit animation exists

(did i use fists on alear every time it was feasible, just because the animations were cooler: yes)

One of the Martial master basic attacks is, in fact, the motion for Hadouken, just with actually striking the enemy with both open palms.

Funky Valentine posted:

I think Raphael was supposed to be The Dude Who Uses Fists like Ignatz is The Dude Who Uses A Bow and Felix is The Dude Who Uses A Sword.

Does Ignatz ever talk about archery in the script? I can't be the only person on the Internet that took one look at Watchful Eye and immediately slapped an Axe onto my new best unit.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Camilla's map ended up almost taking up 3 hours for me on my maddening run, eventually the left side ended up getting opened up which let me kind of bypass a bunch of enemies.

Out of the new DLC emblems it feels like Soren is by far the strongest. The ability to manipulate the AI to focus a specific target even if they have too much defense/avoid seems obscenely strong to me, and then on top of that Soren provides a lot of nice offensive utility and survivability.

Hector whenever I try to use his engage skill I end up just getting ignored so it seems like you have to either pair him up with someone who doesn't have a lot of defense, or maybe force it using Soren's decoy ability. Seems like you do kind of want to use some sort of mixed stat unit to get the most out of his sword. For now I have him on my wyvern knight Jade.

Camilla I put on my Anna who has been using Dire Thunder all the time before this and so far I'm not particularly wowed by it, dire thunder just seems better at murdering dudes so I'm considering moving her over to someone else, maybe Seadall for the mobility?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Citrinne's s-rank scene was cute as hell and felt like the perfect capstone to their evolving relationship. :3:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Camilla I put on my Anna who has been using Dire Thunder all the time before this and so far I'm not particularly wowed by it, dire thunder just seems better at murdering dudes so I'm considering moving her over to someone else, maybe Seadall for the mobility?

The main "wow" points of Camilla's emblem are 1. a second dragon vein user, which is really strong and 2. granting flight and boosted move to anyone. The weapons are decent but not insane and the other bonuses are gimmicky and all over the place, so how useful you find Camilla will probably be down to how much you value dragon vein and movement.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The doubles are literally the only reason I survived Ch. 17. Guaranteeing four members of Veyle and Hycantich's murderball (usually including Veyle and Hycantich themselves) weren't attacking anyone important was a godsend.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Kanos posted:

The main "wow" points of Camilla's emblem are 1. a second dragon vein user, which is really strong and 2. granting flight and boosted move to anyone. The weapons are decent but not insane and the other bonuses are gimmicky and all over the place, so how useful you find Camilla will probably be down to how much you value dragon vein and movement.

Yeah I think for Anna specifically she's better off murdering with dire thunder instead, I felt that the way the fire effect was laid out was mostly too awkward to use.
Just checked on Triangle Attack what the other effects are, and it turns out they are actually different from Corrin's effects, not just the shape!

[Backup] Creates stone pillars that increase Def/Res.
[Cavalry] Creates water that decreases Avo.
[Covert] Creates smoke that decreases Def/Avo.
[Armored] Creates vines that grant immunity to break.
[Flying] Creates healing glow that restores HP.
[Mystical] Creates flames that inflict damage.
[Qi Adept] Creates ice floor that increases movement.
[Dragon] Choose any Vein effect.

The Qi Adept effect seems absolutely insane to me, I think I might put her on Seadall or Alear instead.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Am I correct in thinking that nosferatu and holdout+ means you can't die while engaged as long as you do more than 2 damage?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Out of the new DLC emblems it feels like Soren is by far the strongest. The ability to manipulate the AI to focus a specific target even if they have too much defense/avoid seems obscenely strong to me, and then on top of that Soren provides a lot of nice offensive utility and survivability.

Yeah this seems like a huge deal on Maddening. The ability to take like a 40-defense Great Knight Goldmary and tell the AI "you have to target her at least three times this enemy phase" seems really really strong.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Soren’s Anima Focus stack with other debuffs. So Wind can combo with Hobble to reduce Movement by 4 and Fire can combo with Draconic Hex to reduce Defense by 7.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Harrow posted:

Yeah this seems like a huge deal on Maddening. The ability to take like a 40-defense Great Knight Goldmary and tell the AI "you have to target her at least three times this enemy phase" seems really really strong.

Do we know exactly how that works? Is 0% hit chance Yunaka/Corrin coming back?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Reik posted:

Do we know exactly how that works? Is 0% hit chance Yunaka/Corrin coming back?
i don't think its guaranteed - i've had enemies target other units even before the 3 attacks ran out - it seems like it just makes the AI target the unit so long as they don't see a potential one round kill elsewhere. ie: if you have a tanky unit and a squishier mage, so long as the mage has enough speed/def to not get killed immediately, they'll go for the decoy first.

not sure how hit chance factors in though

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Was Lief's weapon proficiencies not useable for class changes?
I'm going to be bad if I missed something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

leif's weapon proficiencies are the same as anyone else's in terms of unlocking class changes, what do you mean?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

Was Lief's weapon proficiencies not useable for class changes?
I'm going to be bad if I missed something

I assume you're trying to like, promote from archer to warrior or something using a master seal.

Master seals can't be used to change class tracks like that. Use a master seal to go to any promoted class, then use a second seal. If you look carefully, in the master seal menu, you'll see that each advanced class has a requirement like "cavalier level 10" or "archer level 10" or something. This is only required when using a master seal to reach the class, not a second seal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Okay, so I clearly should have been doing these Emblem paralogues earlier instead of waiting until I had all the Emblems.

Also, it looks like there's an internal level cap in this game? I have characters turning green and saying max XP even without being level 20 in a class.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Seals are dumb. Bring back exams

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Okay, so I clearly should have been doing these Emblem paralogues earlier instead of waiting until I had all the Emblems.

Also, it looks like there's an internal level cap in this game? I have characters turning green and saying max XP even without being level 20 in a class.

Huh, that's weird. How many levels have they gained? Nothing stopped me from just using a Second Seal to reset level and keep on going once someone was level 20 in a class. As far as I can tell there's infinite leveling, though you might have some capped stats on some units by now (for example Diamant will cap Dex pretty early).

Is it bond XP instead of regular XP maybe?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cythereal posted:

They tell you the enemy levels in the paralogues if you pull them up on the map. They remove the levels cap for that Emblem so you can get their bond up to lv 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Huh, that's weird. How many levels have they gained? Nothing stopped me from just using a Second Seal to reset level and keep on going once someone was level 20 in a class. As far as I can tell there's infinite leveling, though you might have some capped stats on some units by now (for example Diamant will cap Dex pretty early).

Is it bond XP instead of regular XP maybe?

Huh. Never tried using a second seal to reset level.

It's definitely not bond XP, I capped all bonds at 10 a while back and am only now rounding up all the emblem paralogues. But yeah, peoples' experience bars turn green at one point, then when they finish that level XP is simply listed as max. It's definitely not based on actual class level, I have different people capping out at different levels.

I'm going to be kicking myself if it turns out I've been permanently wasting xp. -_-