Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The pre-Trump era is ancient history, they'll actively ignore anything if it means they can keep a celebrity in their ranks. Like how all GWB-era Republicans are RINO failures by default... if they're even acknowledged.

Now buy my book about how the Democrats are the REAL racists because of their slave-holding origins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Hell, pre-Escalator they hated Trump and thought he was a stupid conman and Clinton stooge.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's a "what have you been cancelled for lately" grift and her last canceling was from the left so she's fine

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, back in the Red Hat period, they somehow forgot "George Bush doesn't care about black people"

Yes, but George Bush is one of the most liberal liberals to ever liberal now. He was never a true conservative, you see.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dirk the Average posted:

Yes, but George Bush is one of the most liberal liberals to ever liberal now. He was never a true conservative, you see.

Yeah, he claimed to be "compassionate" and that's how you know he wasn't a real Republican.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fighting Trousers posted:

She didn't kneel, so it's fine. The goal posts are in constant motion.

Conservatives are too hung up on "one nation, under god" and perfectly willing to trample on "with liberty and justice for all".

And speaking of Colin Kaepernick, I found out recently that his foundation has been funding second autopsies for people who died mysteriously in police custody.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/07/colin-kaepernick-police-violence-autopsies-dialy-cover

That is a 100% genius move with a powerful impact on people's lives. One woman in the article was baffled at how her mother could have died of natural causes in jail. The second autopsy showed that she died of asphyxiation caused by manual strangulation, aka George Floyd Syndrome. Another victim was found to not have had a first autopsy performed, the record of it was forged.

e. https://www.knowyourrightscamp.org/

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

They could not get Dave Chappelle (and while he is “cancelled”, he still says jokes that make conservatives uncomfortable) and Jim Breuer has even less relevance.

I've seen comedy fans lamenting the fact that guys like these have seemingly become right wingers in their old age, as if they weren't frequent guests on the Opie & Anthony program, a show hosted by an open and unabashed white supremacist, Greg "Opie" Hughes.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Lol, under god was added in 1954 because of the Cold War, but because it was part of boomer’s collective childhood, it’s now something that always had existed and will always exist, a la the same dozen Christmas songs, even though they were brand new at the time.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

I've seen comedy fans lamenting the fact that guys like these have seemingly become right wingers in their old age, as if they weren't frequent guests on the Opie & Anthony program, a show hosted by an open and unabashed white supremacist, Greg "Opie" Hughes.

Opie is a dumb rich lib. Anthony’s white supremacy became loud and proud in 2008 and got worse when Patrice died.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah but what about our national anthem?

If you haven't figured out by now that pointing out conservative hypocrisy is a sucker's game, I don't know what to tell you

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhazonLink posted:

lol at Walsh having the ego to think he can be a serious talky person on serious gov stuff. most talking heads know they shouldnt do anything that gets put in a gov building.

On the scale of Grifter to Actually Believes He's Smart, Matt is definitely the latter.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

GD_American posted:

If you haven't figured out by now that pointing out conservative hypocrisy is a sucker's game, I don't know what to tell you

Yeah, they have memories of goldfish or they see it as some kind of pragmatism in the face of what they perceive as the continued leftist and liberal incursions into society.

Someone pointed out they used to vilify JKR as peddling satanism to kids. That's true, but the modern TERF movement is descendant of the wave of feminism that they also decried as just hating men. They're on board for all of it now if it means they get to hate trans people.

There's no through line other than invented reactionary politics. They like being reactionaries. We might regard that kind of thing as a useless distraction from seeking meaningful political change, but they don't. They like waking up every day to some new bullshit. They think it makes their life more meaningful, and also fills them with a very comforting sense of righteousness at all times.

The specifics of what conseratives are saying is rarely relavent moment to moment. The broad thrust is always very obvious.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah but what about our national anthem?

I never understood why this happened in the first place, like why get a non singer to sing a thing?

especially a famously hard to sing song and a person whose brand is having a weird voice. even if its the height of her shows popularity. unless its a April Fools day event then yeah okay

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lol. So they're going to put the Twitter execs in gitmo huh?
https://twitter.com/MattClarkReport/status/1624134526078226460?t=GkPzFi8X9g8EE9BqErIiDw&s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HOLY $H!T

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

oh wow consequences? no way!

actually no way

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Chinas pandemic filled balloons.

https://twitter.com/SprinterBV0000/status/1621878987822882817

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

OgNar posted:

Chinas pandemic filled balloons.

There are so many better delivery vectors than a balloon at 12 loving miles altitude.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I see this is the week where COVID-19 exists.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Yep, from a dangerous bus weather balloon dropped into the Atlantic ocean.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry_Ed posted:

It's allowed to exist when it comes to China creating it as a bioweapon

That's the only time

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
No, it's also allowed to exist when it's fearmongering about immigrants spreading it to Americans. Remember that right wing media was/is freaking out about Title 42 potentially ending.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

mojo1701a posted:

The terrorist leader meeting and saying, "There are no good places to eat in Tehran" was just :psyduck:.

I mean, I've never been near Tehran, but I can't imagine there isn't a single capital city in the world that doesn't have fantastic restaurants.

I've been to Iran, and I will say that the food in Tehran wasn't as good as it was in Shiraz or Kermanshah. Still really good, though!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Sounds like Directv MAY bring back Newsmax IF they get rid of their ridiculous licensing fees.

https://twitter.com/DIRECTVnews/status/1624621705351032833

"Since we would not agree to Newsmax’s demand to pay them tens of millions of dollars in licensing fees, DIRECTV was no longer permitted by Newsmax to air its content."

Newsmax has been trending by rightwingers claiming its just freespeech as they do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

numerrik posted:

Lol, under god was added in 1954 because of the Cold War, but because it was part of boomer’s collective childhood, it’s now something that always had existed and will always exist, a la the same dozen Christmas songs, even though they were brand new at the time.

See also "In God We Trust" appearing on the dollar bill in 1957.

I didn't learn until this morning that is first appeared in 1864 due to increasing religious sentiment during the civil war.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

If it came from the south, they would be saying there's immigrants in it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

happyhippy posted:

If it came from the south, they would be saying there's immigrants in it.

And fentanyl.

This continues to bug me because even like NPR or anyone who's not FOX repeats the idea the fent influx is along the southern border, or at best just doesn't correct that. But everything I read and learn about that says it comes over in shipping containers and through customs. Which partially explains why New Hampshire has been hit particularly hard.

But tying the fentanyl problem to immigration along the Mexican border seems kind of...I don't know...irresponsible at a minimum and nefarious at a max?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yes, it is literally just trying to persuade people into being anti immigration. Just like the MS-13 claims from the Obama presidency. Or the other current claim (which may or may not be true, but it doesn't matter either way) that like 37 people on the Most Wanted Terrorist list were caught trying to cross into the US from Mexico.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

For reference, the villains in Ben's book are:

1) President White Obama, who's obsessed with his poll numbers and legacy and his master plan is trying to give jobs to everyone in American under a program he calls the "Work Freedom Project" (as in Arbeit Macht Frei, Work Brings Freedom--the sign above the gates at Auschwitz, in case you thought Ben was capable of subtly).

2) An Iranian Osama bin Laden stand in who has all of Saddam Hussein's very real weapons of mass destruction and wants to nuke New York City.

3) The faceless Mexican drug cartels who barely play a role in the story.

4) The Reverend Mal Shmarpton and Black Lives Matter, who want to reform the police across America so they will stop killing black people.

5) A teenage boy named Mohammed who works for Iranian bin Laden who's going to bomb New York and who exists so that Ben can justify racial profiling in a scene that ultimately actually proves why racial profiling DOESN'T WORK!

6) The Chinese... who get like one line of exposition in the epilogue.

7) President Anime Hillary Clinton who becomes POTUS after White Obama gets nuked aboard Air Force One at the end of the novel.

8) Some kid who was the star of Combat General Brett Hawthrone's high school football team named Yard because somehow no one in school knew his real name who only exists so that Ben can say that Combat General Brett Hawthrone used to hate black people because Yard bullied him, but then he got over it and now sees them as something almost approaching human beings like a good white person does.

My favorite character was Mrayvon Tartin who runs at the fresh out of the academy white police officer screaming " send me to n word valhala pig! Death to all whites ! Your'e going to die tonight" and the poor officer was forced to defend himself . Then the white cop gets kidnapped by the Bloods who are run by Al Sharpton , and combat general Bret Hawthorn and mexican female Texan Lavoy Finicum rescue him from the gangs headquarters

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Hobby Lobby funding advertising campaign that has connections to anti-LGBT and anti-abortion laws

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1622737444985618433

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/us/he-gets-us-super-bowl-commercials-cec/index.html
"“Be assured … we’re not ‘left’ or ‘right’ or a political organization of any kind,” the “He Gets Us” site reads. “We’re also not affiliated with any particular church or denomination.”
While “He Gets Us” says it is not intended to be connected to any particular Christian ideology, it has theological ties to evangelical practices as well as financial ones. In general, Christian evangelism is closely tied to conservatism and is an extremely influential force in American politics."

Christians are losing people at such a high rate right now because of news like this which is coming out more and more every day so hooking into right wing ideologies may be one of the few things that keeps them afloat.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1624230755453870080

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OgNar posted:

Christians are losing people at such a high rate right now because of news like this which is coming out more and more every day so hooking into right wing ideologies may be one of the few things that keeps them afloat.
It's the other way around - the more they tie themselves to right-wing ideologies and political causes, the more people (especially young people) walk away from them.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/09/13/how-u-s-religious-composition-has-changed-in-recent-decades/

Supposedly, churches got hit real hard during the pandemic, as lots of people who stopped going because they were closed/quarantined discovered that they rather liked not having to drag their asses out of bed every Sunday and waste a chunk of an already too-short weekend when there are so many other things they could be doing:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/22/us-churches-closing-religion-covid-christianity

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Couldn't the bankruptcy court say "lol, no" because of the wealth of the greater church?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Agents are GO! posted:

Couldn't the bankruptcy court say "lol, no" because of the wealth of the greater church?

Theoretically possible but unlikely; the church has had this sort of atomized structure for a very, very long time, and not solely to diffuse liability.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

FMguru posted:

It's the other way around - the more they tie themselves to right-wing ideologies and political causes, the more people (especially young people) walk away from them.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/09/13/how-u-s-religious-composition-has-changed-in-recent-decades/

Supposedly, churches got hit real hard during the pandemic, as lots of people who stopped going because they were closed/quarantined discovered that they rather liked not having to drag their asses out of bed every Sunday and waste a chunk of an already too-short weekend when there are so many other things they could be doing:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/22/us-churches-closing-religion-covid-christianity

I wonder how much it is that Christianity has tied itself to a single party? Remember when Catholics used to be Democrats?

edit: sorry, that was kind of the point of your post.
In any case, I have teenaged children. They have no interest in church and think Christians are idiots. I'm really proud

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jesus III posted:

I wonder how much it is that Christianity has tied itself to a single party? Remember when Catholics used to be Democrats?

edit: sorry, that was kind of the point of your post.
In any case, I have teenaged children. They have no interest in church and think Christians are idiots. I'm really proud

That is one hell of a username/post combo, gotta say.

Discendo Vox posted:

Theoretically possible but unlikely; the church has had this sort of atomized structure for a very, very long time, and not solely to diffuse liability.

The Church's structure is one of those things fascinating things that gets weirder the closer you look at it. On the one hand individual dioceses have considerable autonomy/responsibility over themselves, but at the same time Rome's supremacy is all-but unquestionable.* I agree it wasn't just done to make it harder for secular authority to bring the entire Church to heel and owes much to frankly centuries-outmoded models of organization, but it sure does come in handy for keeping the Really Big Pile of Money safe from hostile court decisions.

*discounting weirdos like Mel Gibson, of course.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/silvermanmarkj/status/1624257700098895876?t=fQNzhn1BWjmAbJU5AuA_TA&s=19

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So much important information missing from that article, though they do get their info from the Daily Mail.
Guy fired multiple shots with his assault rifle at a group of men in the dark, says he didnt realize his warning shots had hit one.
Claims he reported it to border patrol, but later found the guy dead in the grass while checking on his horse.
No amount of time given other than later that day.
Claims that it was a group of armed men, but either he just happened to hit the one unarmed one, or his friends scavenged the body and just left him to die.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 12, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Saw an ad for Gutfeld! during the SB. They didn't even let him speak lmao

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The first presidential ad has dropped.

https://twitter.com/AdImpact_Pol/status/1624948732453351425

The guy is also hawking his book, which comes with a forward by Dr. Arthur Laffer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The first presidential ad has dropped.

https://twitter.com/AdImpact_Pol/status/1624948732453351425

The guy is also hawking his book, which comes with a forward by Dr. Arthur Laffer

He’s got that weird plastic surgery face effect where it looks like his face is going to split open if he smiles too fast. The full set of dentures tells me he’s got the same body dysmorphia thing as the Abercrombie & Fitch guy who would get mad if anyone asked him how old he was.

He was disqualified from the 2022 Michigan gubernatorial primary because he forged too many signatures in his petition to run:

https://www.mlive.com/public-intere...t-printing.html