Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
In all honesty the soundtrack in gt7 (licensed and original compisition) is by far the most disappointing thing about the game, especially considering the series history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I've turned off the music in racing games for years now as all I want to hear is the engine and tire sounds.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Hector Delgado posted:

I've turned off the music in racing games for years now as all I want to hear is the engine and tire sounds.

This but the commentary in Madden/NBA2K. I just want to hear those sexy man grunts

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I actually find it impossible to play fifa without the commentary on. Like some kind of deafening silence that's incredible distracting

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been bouncing between listening to apple music playlists and the default. I'd rather listen to my on music but it's hard to get a good balance and I want to listen to the car sounds as well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I feel bad for clowning on GT for making a bad first impression, cause it's definitely the best racing game I have ever played.

:eyepop:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I keep music off during races but it’s blasting in the menus and I love every track

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Forspoken chapter 2 impressions: I admit it, I lolled at the new york/newark bit

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

imhotep posted:

i also did the ranni quest blind, and i kept checking back at the three sister's towers often just because i assumed youd have to go back and speak to ranni at some point, and i was just combing over every part of the map, and returning to places to see if anything had changed.

yeah i know, but the other devs seem like good people. and yeah phil fish seems like a gigantic rear end in a top hat and this statement is honestly one of the main reasons i didnt just buy it https://www.eurogamer.net/fez-creator-phil-fish-declares-modern-japanese-games-just-suck

The thing is that in that particular moment, he was right. American indie games were exploding and while there were a few Japanese game devs doing cool things, it felt like the industry there was in a rut chasing HD and not doing well at it. I think the statement actually kicked a lot of Japanese game devs into high gear.

All that said, Fish is a giant pissbaby who quit games because people were mean to him on Twitter so he can get hosed. The Disasterpeace soundtrack and its integration into Fez are absolutely transcendent though.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

bloodychill posted:

The thing is that in that particular moment, he was right. American indie games were exploding and while there were a few Japanese game devs doing cool things, it felt like the industry there was in a rut chasing HD and not doing well at it. I think the statement actually kicked a lot of Japanese game devs into high gear.

All that said, Fish is a giant pissbaby who quit games because people were mean to him on Twitter so he can get hosed. The Disasterpeace soundtrack and its integration into Fez are absolutely transcendent though.

yeah, reading about the soundtrack and how it works in the game is actually what made me want to play it, i love his soundtrack for hyper light drifter and the little bits he did for solar ash.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bloodychill posted:

100% all this. It was an rear end in a top hat way to put it, but the 7th generation was not exactly the finest moment for Japanese game development, for numerous reasons. The trend is reversing itself now, Japanese development after a long period of restructuring is ascendant and western development is in the process of taking a poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

imhotep posted:

yeah, reading about the soundtrack and how it works in the game is actually what made me want to play it, i love his soundtrack for hyper light drifter and the little bits he did for solar ash.

i was screening marcel the shell with shoes on the other week and my eyes perked up when i saw Disasterpeace in the credits lol

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
that may be true about japanese games but you know what had come out 2 years prior to that.... dark souls.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i was screening marcel the shell with shoes on the other week and my eyes perked up when i saw Disasterpeace in the credits lol

i love that soundtrack, i havent seen the movie, but yeah it reminded me of indie movie soundtracks from the 2000s that i love

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I literally have dark souls embedded as a core part of my being but it’s the western-est japanese game ever

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

goblin week posted:

I literally have dark souls embedded as a core part of my being but it’s the western-est japanese game ever

Err? How do you figure?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t think dark souls fits comfortably into any regional style of game design. It does it’s own thing and that’s why it’s so beloved.

That said it’s way more D and D than Final Fantasy, but even with that there’s tons of supremely Japanese poo poo about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also agreed that Fish was right but he also was just such a goddamn prick about it to that poor guy.

And agree Japan is making more interesting games than the western world atm. Or at least America. American AAA games are in the Marvel zone and I don’t like it. A billion dollars to make something that looks amazing but doesn’t have a single original idea in its head. I still buy most of it anyways cause I’m a moron.

JRPGs still suck tho :911:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Forspoken platinum done. Games fun, no regrets about buying it.

Working on Deliver Us Mars and hoping to complete that before LIKE A DRAGON ISHIN ON FRIDAY!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

Zero Japanese devs noticed or gave the slightest gently caress and he made that quote the year after Dark Souls released.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just talking about big titles obvs indie games are all over the place.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally found Rennala and beat her handily, then I stumbled into the Radahn festival and can't get more than a quarter off his health (I'm around level 59ish) so I'll probably ditch it for now. I've still yet to successfully kill a dragon, unless you count a dragon man underground and some kind of magma wyrm guarding a cliffside passage (loved this sequence).

I feel like this game is really emphasizing how bad I am at exploration because it took me way too long to realize that in Raya Lucavia you could sneak across the support beam to get to the bridge with the giant ball that comes down the top of it, and that the bit sneaking across the rooftops and kicking down a ladder is a shortcut to...nowhere, really. And I still don't know how to get from Stormveil to the divine tower to do...something to Godrick's great rune, I think? I had a similar experience in Bloodborne when I completely missed the ladder that leads to the door where a dead guy waits for a password but that game being a series of corridors definitely helped.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
While Fromsoft eventually struck gold with the souls format they were also trying their hand at heavily scripted action adventure games like Ninja Scroll. And Demon's Souls was originally an Oblivion clone.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
BTW I have another question for this thread. I'm looking for a controller with the following specifications:

PS4 and PC compatible
Symmetrical (I can't stand assymetrics like the XBox controllers, I really like being able to hit the D-pad with my left index finger)
A precise D-pad (so I'd prefer that it has physical gates along the diagonals to prevent erroneous inputs perpendicular to my intended press)
Back paddles (if possible, though optional)

I don't care about if its wired or not.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Wolfsheim posted:

And I still don't know how to get from Stormveil to the divine tower to do...something to Godrick's great rune, I think?

There’s no trick; just go straight at it and you’ll figure it out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

BTW I have another question for this thread. I'm looking for a controller with the following specifications:

PS4 and PC compatible
Symmetrical (I can't stand assymetrics like the XBox controllers, I really like being able to hit the D-pad with my left index finger)
A precise D-pad (so I'd prefer that it has physical gates along the diagonals to prevent erroneous inputs perpendicular to my intended press)
Back paddles (if possible, though optional)

I don't care about if its wired or not.

You do know the dualsense is PC compatible right?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

veni veni veni posted:

surprisingly compatible

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Controller:DualSense

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Err? How do you figure?

I guess the fact that it looks like Far Cry 2 instead of Way of the Samurai or Ni No Kuni. If it were about samurai and ninjas and tenguu I guess we'd have to admit that it's a very Japanese game culturally but knights and dragons and giants are western I suppose.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

While Fromsoft eventually struck gold with the souls format they were also trying their hand at heavily scripted action adventure games like Ninja Scroll. And Demon's Souls was originally an Oblivion clone.

You mean Ninja Blade?

Ninja Scroll was that one hardcore anime.

But you're right, FromSoft has a varied history like the Otogi games (they ruled) or stuff like Evergrace/Forever Kingdom.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ineffiable posted:

You mean Ninja Blade?

But you're right, FromSoft has a varied history like the Otogi games (they ruled) or stuff like Evergrace/Forever Kingdom.

echo night beyond, my beloved

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Adventures of Cookie and Cream

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
From also did Chromehounds, which was not exactly bad so much as horribly mismanaged

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

gently caress, I want a FromSoft Ninja Scrolls game now.

Which essentially means I want Sekiro 2 to have a dismemberment system.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

But is it PS4 compatible as well?

Ineffiable posted:

You mean Ninja Blade?

You know what the worse thing about my earlier post was? I explicitly googled "Fromsoft Ninja Blade" just to double check I had the right name. But I somehow still typed Ninja Scroll.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ineffiable posted:

You mean Ninja Blade?

ninja blade was wild

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

haveblue posted:

From also did Chromehounds, which was not exactly bad so much as horribly mismanaged

It was the first game I got on the 360 and I didn’t have Xbox live so basically I just made contraptions and played against bots. They should try it again imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

But is it PS4 compatible as well?

You know what the worse thing about my earlier post was? I explicitly googled "Fromsoft Ninja Blade" just to double check I had the right name. But I somehow still typed Ninja Scroll.

Oh, no sadly it’s not. Dualshock 4 also works well with PC though. If you are looking for an all around controller that works with PS4, 5 and PC it’s probably gonna be a problem because there’s almost no controllers that work with PS5 outside of the official ones. There’s a few off brands that will work with everything but I don’t know if they are any good. Your best bet I’d probably just having both a dualsense and DualShock 4.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Zero Japanese devs noticed or gave the slightest gently caress and he made that quote the year after Dark Souls released.

Inafune at least thought along the same lines and it drove him to implode out of the industry, and while it hosed up DmC for a bit it also led to the execs crawling back to Itsuno so I guess it was a good thing after all.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
when

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The monster designs are so good in that game.