Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

General Dog posted:

So is 11 or 12 supposed to be the last one?

## I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder if Jason Momoa will turn out to be the secret, emotionally wounded brother of The Rock and Roman Reigns' characters.

Has Brie Larson been in any of these before? She's introduced in the trailer like we're supposed to know who she is, but maybe there are so many characters and plot points to highlight there just wasn't time to introduce her.

Also what year is it in the Fast & Furious universe now

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Whoever said Cunk on Earth is amazing was absolutely right.

I think that was me, or at least I’ve been watching it lately. Her delivery is just so drat good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cunk on Britain is pretty easy to find in its entirety on YouTube if anybody wants a second helping.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think that was me, or at least I’ve been watching it lately. Her delivery is just so drat good.

We started it while eating Chinese takeout, then had to stop until after because we thought we were going to choke to death. (“Were they made out of the same kind of meat as us?”)

Then we watched the entire series.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Let's pretend somebody hasn't seen any of the F&F movies, outside of a bit of the first one when it was new. Should that hypothetical person just watch them in release order, or does the weird jumping-around in time give them some sort of alternate viewing order that makes more sense?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

C-Euro posted:

Let's pretend somebody hasn't seen any of the F&F movies, outside of a bit of the first one when it was new. Should that hypothetical person just watch them in release order, or does the weird jumping-around in time give them some sort of alternate viewing order that makes more sense?

You can watch them in release order, just know that 3 takes place after 6. So chronologically, its 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 3, 7, 8, Hobbes and Shaw, 9. Its also hard to buy that 3 takes place after 6 simply because 3 was shot in like 2003 and 6 in 2015, so you know, technology.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm probably insane but after the 2nd F&F movie I was :geno: and have not seen any since.

Then again I may also have some hereditary degenerative neurological disorder where I may forget stuff so maybe my taste in movies are also skewed.

This is further reinforced by watching the 1998 classic Can't Hardly Wait while eating breakfast & thinking "This is a good movie."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

We started it while eating Chinese takeout, then had to stop until after because we thought we were going to choke to death. (“Were they made out of the same kind of meat as us?”)

Then we watched the entire series.

Her asking if they started building the pyramids from top to bottom or bottom up was hilarious.

“We don’t know why humans were at war with cows and, tragically, we never will”

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm probably insane but after the 2nd F&F movie I was :geno: and have not seen any since.

Then again I may also have some hereditary degenerative neurological disorder where I may forget stuff so maybe my taste in movies are also skewed.

This is further reinforced by watching the 1998 classic Can't Hardly Wait while eating breakfast & thinking "This is a good movie."

Well, after the 3rd movie they gradually get MCU level superpowers to defy death and such. To the point where in the latest movie one character posits they are actually functionally immortal given the things they have survived, which is discussed for a full scene. And while cars are a common theme, its less about racing (although each movie usually has a car race for one reason or another) and instead tends to focus on various heists on behalf of various nebulous government agencies which grants them pardons and stuff for prior acts of theft. Also, pretty much every villain becomes a good guy by the next movie or two. Honestly, you can kind of just jump in with 4 or 5 (5 is pretty universally considered the best, or at least top 2) and go from there since thats when the Rock joins and it starts the super human poo poo.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Confession: I've never seen an entire Fast & Furious movie.

I've seen parts of them in passing in places, I know the vague plots and whatnot through cultural osmosis, but I'm not at all a 'car person' so they never had interest for me early on, and even knowing now that they're "Super hero movies but their super power is cars and family" as they've been described more than once, I just can't :effort: to go and watch them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C-Euro posted:

The answer with any franchise is to watch them in release order; though they could also just jump in directly at 4 or 5 and be fine. I jumped into the franchise at Fast Five because I heard it was good and did just fine. It wasn't until pretty recently I went back and watched the first four.

But if they're fully on board with seeing everything, I think seeing the decline and rebirth of the franchise as it happened is the way to go.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Just watch Point Break, Bigelow did it better a decade prior.

Also, I like the original F&F fine, but they definitely went hard for a couple decades after for no clear reason. I like that they all seem to be having fun and it’s better than more forgettable marvel stuff.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
F&F is a DnD campaign with cars. They're great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Its Rinaldo posted:

F&F is a DnD campaign with cars.

This is simultaneously cool and also kind of the issue with the movies. Vin Diesel is using the franchise to make the most expensive D&D campaign ever made, but at the same time, he seems absolutely exhausting to work with; on Fast X, Justin Lin quit after only a week of shooting because he couldn't deal with Diesel's bullshit anymore, and replacement director Louis Leterrier said just the other day that he was rewriting the movie on the fly because of Diesel constantly wanting to change things

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Timby posted:

This is simultaneously cool and also kind of the issue with the movies. Vin Diesel is using the franchise to make the most expensive D&D campaign ever made, but at the same time, he seems absolutely exhausting to work with; on Fast X, Justin Lin quit after only a week of shooting because he couldn't deal with Diesel's bullshit anymore, and replacement director Louis Leterrier said he was rewriting the movie on the fly because of Diesel constantly wanting to change things

Checks out. Players always ruin the DM's life. It's like poetry.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Coco13 posted:

I, as a 37 year old computer toucher, bought a house in what historically has been a working class neighborhood of Madison. Since I've moved, two new apartment complexes have opened (one named after the iconic restaurant that used to be there that couldn't find a buyer), a mixed use bakery/coffee shop/brewpub opened in a former industrial lab space, and a new taco place opened with a neon sign to take Instagram selfies in front of. My neighbor and I joke about the neighborhood gentrifying, but also I don't know if it's a joke. Which, watch me stick this landing, is very similar to this:

It's tough to know when you're going through a particular point in time because it's incredibly difficult to have the correct perspective instead of day to day trudging. So I understand GD wondering when something that's happening is going to happen. Without a researched article or particularly enlighting conversation, it's really difficult to change your perspective and frame of reference to the correct view to see what's happening.

Yes it’s gentrifying but I feel like people who throw around the term gentrification that aren’t urban planners are just making GBS threads on people. It’s developers, city council members, and state politicians that hang people out to dry, boasting about how much redevelopment is going to improve the city while really they’re just improving their checking accounts. You can rejuvenate a neighborhood without displacing the people that are already there, but that means some shithead who bought an old widget factory might make marginally less. That ire should be reserved for those assholes, not people who are just trying to find a place to live.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I have only watched the first F&F movie. However, I have played the board game

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

swickles posted:

Well, after the 3rd movie they gradually get MCU level superpowers to defy death and such. To the point where in the latest movie one character posits they are actually functionally immortal given the things they have survived, which is discussed for a full scene. And while cars are a common theme, its less about racing (although each movie usually has a car race for one reason or another) and instead tends to focus on various heists on behalf of various nebulous government agencies which grants them pardons and stuff for prior acts of theft. Also, pretty much every villain becomes a good guy by the next movie or two.

So Vin Diesel is basically Goku assembling a group of friends who all wanted to beat the poo poo of him at one point or another?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I’ve joked before that the last F&F movie end with Dom and Satan plaintively drinking Coronas after dropping a tank on some primordial eldritch horror

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dom Toretto and Wayne from Letterkenny have both developed into these corny but still winning Christlike figures who transform their enemies just through their pure unalloyed decency.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

General Dog posted:

Dom Toretto and Wayne from Letterkenny have both developed into these corny but still winning Christlike figures who transform their enemies just through their pure unalloyed decency.

Just like DeSantis

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hey Fiz/Swickles/med goons, got a question for y’all. I’ve got a buddy, male in his late 50’s, in generally poor health, overweight, cigarette smoker, not much physical activity, history of seizures, and an alcoholic; not the “drink a 5th or two a day” kind, but definitely a six pack of Hamm’s every night at a minimum, and hasn’t stopped for years despite his friends telling him it’s killing him, less reliable or fun to be around, etc. It came up again today since I’d called him up and by 11 am he was pretty toasted, his excuse being that he has to have at least a couple early on, since he’s got some plans later this evening and he needs to drink to stave off a seizure. I think it’s complete bullshit for all the usual alcoholic reasons, but wanted to have at least a little medical fact checking behind me, I know detoxing for chronic alcoholics can be real tough physically but am otherwise really ignorant on it, the psychological side of things is more my area, will his maintaining his baseline alcohol consumption really help avoid seizures, or is that more of his rationalization?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hey Fiz/Swickles/med goons, got a question for y’all. I’ve got a buddy, male in his late 50’s, in generally poor health, overweight, cigarette smoker

Wow may as well just post his username

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think it’s complete bullshit for all the usual alcoholic reasons, but wanted to have at least a little medical fact checking behind me, I know detoxing for chronic alcoholics can be real tough physically but am otherwise really ignorant on it, the psychological side of things is more my area, will his maintaining his baseline alcohol consumption really help avoid seizures, or is that more of his rationalization?

I’m not as much of an expert as fiz or swick, but I’d say it’s reasonable. I’ve seen some severe impoverished alcoholics chug hand sanitizer or vanilla extract trying to stave off seizures because they’ll have them if they’re dry for 6hrs. It’s hell.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it could be sincere but it can also be an excuse. and there's no real way to decouple those. if he only staves it off until his withdrawal symptoms end, sure, but generally once you start drinking an alcoholic won't stop for the day

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the psychological side of things is more my area

I think in the end he's gotta be the one who decides he wants to get clean on this side of things. You can point out why his life really sucks for him and could be better. Depending on how far he's gone absolutely everything's a giant pain in the rear end for him right now other than drinking, you can't just go do things when you want to, you feel like absolute dogshit every morning until you get a taste, etc etc.

But maybe he's not in the place he needs to be to be able to hear that. I guess all you can do is keep trying to help, it's hard. Good luck to you and your friend.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grittybeard posted:

I think in the end he's gotta be the one who decides he wants to get clean on this side of things. You can point out why his life really sucks for him and could be better. Depending on how far he's gone absolutely everything's a giant pain in the rear end for him right now other than drinking, you can't just go do things when you want to, you feel like absolute dogshit every morning until you get a taste, etc etc.

But maybe he's not in the place he needs to be to be able to hear that. I guess all you can do is keep trying to help, it's hard. Good luck to you and your friend.

Yeah, we’ve had those talks and we’re past all that, I’ve made clear how it impacts our relationship and that I’ll approach things a certain way unless it changes, and he doesn’t feel that’s reason enough to change, c’est la vie. I just like also having my facts straight and not just lecture him because I don’t like this facet of him, up to him to make what use of that information he will.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I know I ranted about the last F&F in one of these chat threads, but the physics were just so stupid. Just so so stupid.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Not Another Teen Movie is at least funny.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I only ever saw the first F&F and I thought it was boring. Maybe if I saw it again and then tried watching some of the others I'd like it more, but I'm also not a huge car person.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/fuckyouiquit/status/1624413809728421889?s=61&t=KjqIAYw2GYvs4-fBcvA2KA

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Tokyo Drift rules and I can’t stand the other ones

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hey Fiz/Swickles/med goons, got a question for y’all. I’ve got a buddy, male in his late 50’s, in generally poor health, overweight, cigarette smoker, not much physical activity, history of seizures, and an alcoholic; not the “drink a 5th or two a day” kind, but definitely a six pack of Hamm’s every night at a minimum, and hasn’t stopped for years despite his friends telling him it’s killing him, less reliable or fun to be around, etc. It came up again today since I’d called him up and by 11 am he was pretty toasted, his excuse being that he has to have at least a couple early on, since he’s got some plans later this evening and he needs to drink to stave off a seizure. I think it’s complete bullshit for all the usual alcoholic reasons, but wanted to have at least a little medical fact checking behind me, I know detoxing for chronic alcoholics can be real tough physically but am otherwise really ignorant on it, the psychological side of things is more my area, will his maintaining his baseline alcohol consumption really help avoid seizures, or is that more of his rationalization?

Seizures from alcohol withdrawal are common enough, and more importantly, can be fatal, so its the number one thing medical pros look out for. Has he tried to quit before and gone into the DTs? If so, then he is all but guaranteed to do it again. If he hasn't, he might just get the shakes, a tremor that can develop that will make it impossible to write your name, or even hold a drink (think Trump drinking with both hands, that's what someone with a bad tremor will do to mask it). That is almost universal in heavy drinkers, so he could just have wanted to not be a shaking quivering mess. Anyways, there are lots of ways we can get someone off alcohol and manage the seizure/DT risk, so its not a prohibitive thing if he actually wants to quit drinking. Hell, he could do a self taper over time if he really wanted to and avoid medication management altogether if things like paying for it are an issue.

All that said, if you are drinking early on to stave off a seizure, you need to get to a detox/rehab facility yesterday.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yet another example of the exploitative bullshit called "independent contractors." (Since the cheerleaders aren't technically employees of the team, but merely providing a contracted service, they aren't entitled to minimum wage.)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Anyone else think we're shooting down a lot of UFOs lately?

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1624527579116871681?s=20

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

All that said, if you are drinking early on to stave off a seizure, you need to get to a detox/rehab facility yesterday.

This can't be repeated enough. I've talked before here about how much I was drinking before my ex-wife and my best friend got a court order for a civil commitment (I still have the affidavits they gave the judge), and when I was in the psych ward at the hospital, they were giving me IV Ativan every two hours for 24 hours to keep me from shaking out of my skin.

And I was only 24.

I've now been sober since March 2009.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 12, 2023

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
F&F movies are better Bond Movies than Bond movies have been since Remington Steele stopped doing the role. :colbert:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

Anyone else think we're shooting down a lot of UFOs lately?

Our X-Com research in North America has caught up to detecting them and scrambling jets, but we have a long way to go here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I just started Black Adam and it's boring as hell so far.