Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The only thing that let me down about the Stormblood Paladin quests (aside from the writers giving up on the Paladin NPCs altogether and essentially making new class quests) is that we don't get to fight Mylla ourselves. I would've preferred that rather than her getting chumped by her crush, especially since it's usually a good time when we get to fight against our mentors.

I would have also liked this. Bronze Bull is neat and all, but I would have put Handeloup in match 2 and let us fight Mylla in our block final so we could then face Aldis in the Grand Final. I appreciated the bit where Mylla recognized Aldis through his disguise based on his fighting style, something nobody else managed, and I'm not questioning the decision to have him be the last match. Him being the best Gladiator since Raubahn is an important plot point in GLD 1-15 and him going through so much just for the chance to fight his old apprentice is sweet in its own way. Still, in my ideal world I would have gotten to fight BOTH my Gladiator mentors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly my one beef about the red mage quests is that it's an obsentially Ala Mhigan job that doesn't aesthetically or narratively really tie into its land of origin like a lot of the non eorzean jobs do

But it's a small beef

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Yeah I did RDM 50-60 well before I actually hit StB and then I got there and was like hang on red mages don't really mesh with anything going on in ala mhigo aesthetically, which is a bit strange given how much of red mage is the aesthetic

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

a cartoon duck posted:

the paladin in my static likes to call Passage of arms the Protagonist Button

one thing i appreciate about the paladin tournament arc (and some other arcs) is that just because the warrior of light switches from disciplines to jobs in ARR doesn't mean the disciplines are categorically inferior. Aldis has no paladin training, but by pushing the bloodsands gladiatorial arts to its limits with suitably sandstorm-themed wind and earth attacks he surpasses most paladins and is a match for the warrior of light. conversely it also makes it feel like wol is as strong as they are thanks to their own efforts and not because they just joined the correct schools of combat. if they hadn't become a paladin they'd be just as strong, they'd just be slinging sandstorms instead of snowflakes around

It actually makes it feel like the wol is as strong as they are because of the job stone, because an occasional real problem in game sometimes is people thinking the base toolkits have any use outside of ARR.

You are no Raubahn, so do not come into Stormblood dungeons as a Gladiator.

Blockhouse posted:

Honestly my one beef about the red mage quests is that it's an obsentially Ala Mhigan job that doesn't aesthetically or narratively really tie into its land of origin like a lot of the non eorzean jobs do

But it's a small beef

There is a bit of one, but it's kind of a spoiler until the next town/zone, although we also know Sang is into post-expansion patches at this point so this isn't super spoilery for them personally but I'll still tag it anyway:

The in-game sightseeing text for Nyunkrepf's Hope boat perched over Ala Ghiri talks about how an astrologian tried to save as many magi survivors as he could, and we know Red Magic was created by the survivors swearing off their old life and coming up with a new way to safely use their own aether with the amplifier device floating behind you, rather than draw it out of the world like the mages of Amdapor and Mach did.

Throw in that by Stormblood's launch that the first encyclopedia lore book canonized that Nyunkrepf would lead his survivors north to found what would become Sharlayan and I would say Ala Mhigo's origins are tied in with the job, it's just not very representative of modern Ala Mhigo, which isn't surprising. The place is generally talked about by what it was once was rather than recent memory, which has been a cycle of authoritarianism and bloody revolution as long as anyone alive can remember.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 11, 2023

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Valentin posted:

Yeah I did RDM 50-60 well before I actually hit StB and then I got there and was like hang on red mages don't really mesh with anything going on in ala mhigo aesthetically, which is a bit strange given how much of red mage is the aesthetic

Yeah the aesthetically Ala Mhigan class is Monk, Red Mages are aesthetically FF Red Mages and Ala Mhigo just happens to be the place we were exploring when they added that job.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah the aesthetically Ala Mhigan class is Monk, Red Mages are aesthetically FF Red Mages and Ala Mhigo just happens to be the place we were exploring when they added that job.
At least the Fist of Rhalgr is namedropped in MSQ; the Crimson Duelists don't even get that.

EDIT: Couldn't remember when that happened. Pretty sure it was when they first got to Rhalgr's Reach, but spoilered just to be safe.

dyslexicfaser fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 12, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Thinking about the Red Mage twitter thread of all time.

https://twitter.com/coeurlclaw/status/1518243624231727104?s=46&t=kKcCJ7UVaDdgg274m14F4A

https://twitter.com/coeurlclaw/status/1518246467424595969?s=46&t=kKcCJ7UVaDdgg274m14F4A

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I'm the RDM that dualcasts Jolt into Vercure.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm the RDM that has to relearn every single time I come back to RDM that if you hit a cast button again in the middle of a cast it'll cancel the cast, and seemingly only for RDM?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

It's not my fault my WiFi has issues and doesn't trigger Dualcast properly sometimes. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Doomykins posted:

I'm the RDM that has to relearn every single time I come back to RDM that if you hit a cast button again in the middle of a cast it'll cancel the cast, and seemingly only for RDM?

I don't think I've ever experienced this?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That's why I hated red mage. I hit the wrong button every once in a while and in most jobs that's easy to recover from but rdm makes it feel awful

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
https://twitter.com/siteofgrace/status/1444375771854909442

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

you better believe i cast jolt into jolt

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
If you're not verprefixing your verwords with ver"ver", are veryou even a Verred Vermage?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GilliamYaeger posted:

If you're not verprefixing your verwords with ver"ver", are veryou even a Verred Vermage?

I deal in verpain and verpain verccessories.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

black magic is better because it doesn't incorporate any of that white magic hippy poo poo

the only elemental I care about is fire 4

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Feldegast42 posted:

black magic is better because it doesn't incorporate any of that white magic hippy poo poo

Report back when you get a sword

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Fire was a Conjurer element until Dad forced your sibling to share their toys.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think I've ever experienced this?

You know I can't replicate it on a target dummy so I'm thinking every time it has happened to me in the heat of battle I've been timing out on Verfire/Verstone procs midcast. :qq:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I hardcast Veraero/Verthunder*. :v:

*as an opener.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 14, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Doomykins posted:

You know I can't replicate it on a target dummy so I'm thinking every time it has happened to me in the heat of battle I've been timing out on Verfire/Verstone procs midcast. :qq:

Ha yeah that at least would explain why it only happens on red mage

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm scathe spec

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doomykins posted:

I really wish running out of the proc midcast wouldn't cancel the cast, it just feels unfair.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Aren't the buffs for those like 30 seconds long?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes but mechanics, you're really unlikely to have a Doublecast procced up for either of them unless you hardcast Verfire or Veraero for some reason.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kwyndig posted:

Yes but mechanics, you're really unlikely to have a Doublecast procced up for either of them unless you hardcast Verfire or Veraero for some reason.

That's because you're meant to use them to proc doublecast, instead of jolt.

But yes, it isn't really fair that if the buff runs out mid cast time you lose the ability.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's because you're meant to use them to proc doublecast, instead of jolt.

But yes, it isn't really fair that if the buff runs out mid cast time you lose the ability.

Its 100% fair it happens to every other class with procs.

Lord knows how many times in prog as BLM I lose everything because I had to move and couldn't finish my fire spell cast before astral fire timed out.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Yeah, Verstone and Verfire have the same casting time as Jolt but more damage and charge the bar quicker. So it's a situation where the 'ideal' situation is Jolt -> Double cast Veraero -> Verstone -> Double Cast Verthunder -> Verfire ->Double Cast Veraero ...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Its 100% fair it happens to every other class with procs.

Lord knows how many times in prog as BLM I lose everything because I had to move and couldn't finish my fire spell cast before astral fire timed out.

It isn't fair it happens to those other classes either.

If you press the button, then you shouldn't lose the spell/ability mid cast on any job, refreshing other buffs/debuffs is nott he same thing.

The cast should check you have the buff on press, not during the entire cast time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

It isn't fair it happens to those other classes either.

If you press the button, then you shouldn't lose the spell/ability mid cast on any job, refreshing other buffs/debuffs is nott he same thing.

The cast should check you have the buff on press, not during the entire cast time.

It is because a limit for how long you have to complete an action is what a timer is meant to do. If you let it drop that's your fault. It's the most fair it could be. It means you failed at doing your rotation well. Like above where someone thought you're meant to instant cast the proc casts and not use them to replace jolt.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 14, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It is because a limit for how long you have to complete an action is what a timer is meant to do. If you let it drop that's your fault. It's the most fair it could be. It means you failed at doing your rotation well. Like above where someone thought you're meant to instant cast the proc casts and not use them to replace jolt.

The timer is inaccurate and unclear, since a 30 second timer is actually a 28 second timer for a 2 second cast ability. If you press the button in the buff duration you should get the cast. Especially because it can as this conversation shows, be unclear why the cast failed.

Either starting the cast at any point in the buff should be valid, or the game should be more clear that the cast needs to consume the buff when it ends to function. As it is there's no real indication that you failed to cast in time, since everything the game actually conveys until that point is press button whilst you have buff.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 14, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Bosses should have their abilities interrupted if they're pushed into next HP phase mid-cast. It's only fair.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 14, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

The timer is inaccurate and unclear, since a 30 second timer is actually a 28 second timer for a 2 second cast ability. If you press the button in the buff duration you should get the cast. Especially because it can as this conversation shows, be unclear why the cast failed.

It's accurate. It's 30 seconds to cast the spell. You don't cast a spell till the casting bar finishes and the damage and or effect goes out. Can't get any clearer than that.

And again, someone not understanding something doesn't mean it's not fair, it can also mean they're just not paying attention or read their skills.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Bosses should have their abilities interrupted if they're pushed into next HP phase mid-cast. It's only fair.

Some do stop casts for poo poo!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

And yet targetting a monster that dies waits until the cast is over before it interrrupts the cast

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

And yet targetting a monster that dies waits until the cast is over before it interrrupts the cast

It's because that uses the cast timer to check instead of buff timers because buff timers is something the game by design has to be much more strict with keeping track of and applying their effects, where as cast timers are a bit looser. It's why slide casting is a thing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I went and looked, nothing in game explains that the buff is an additional cost to cast Verfire. Verfire it self simply says it can only be executed when verfire ready is active, and verfire ready says that verfire can be cast. It is not unreasonable, even having read both the buff and the ability, to assume pressing the button requires the buff, but that once pressed you will cast the spell. I do not think giving people another 2 seconds to cast a basic rotational ability for the sake of clarity in game mechanics is somehow going to dumb down Red Mage.

I literally am talking from my own experience of it, I read my abilities I know how to play the game, I do savage raiding, and nothing about Red Mage made it clear that I needed the buff for the entire cast of those abilities except them failing when the buff fell off mid cast. It feels bad and janky to have it happen.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
At the end of the day, the game does not consider the spell as having been "cast" until it actively leaves your hand. There's good and bad to that. One of the "bad" is that you get weird effects like this, where a buff times out while you're casting, and thus isn't counted for the spell (which can mean you lose your spell). Likewise it means you could wind up a spell, and then the enemy dies as you're casting it, and you lose your action. That is part of the cost of having the spell only being "cast" when it actually leaves your hand. The upside includes things like being able to cancel your spell mid-cast and not lose your proc to it.

To some degree all classes have some level of irritation they deal with. Melee classes have downtime, casters have cast times, ranged classes have neither but do less DPS for it. At the risk of being rude about it, if cast times give you problems, then there's a plethora of non-caster classes for you to enjoy. I know I don't enjoy cast times that much, which is why Summoner ended up being my go-to caster despite liking the aesthetics of Red Mage more, and why I've spent most the game as a tank or melee DPS main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I went and looked, nothing in game explains that the buff is an additional cost to cast Verfire. Verfire it self simply says it can only be executed when verfire ready is active, and verfire ready says that verfire can be cast. It is not unreasonable, even having read both the buff and the ability, to assume pressing the button requires the buff, but that once pressed you will cast the spell. I do not think giving people another 2 seconds to cast a basic rotational ability for the sake of clarity in game mechanics is somehow going to dumb down Red Mage.

I literally am talking from my own experience of it, I read my abilities I know how to play the game, I do savage raiding, and nothing about Red Mage made it clear that I needed the buff for the entire cast of those abilities except them failing when the buff fell off mid cast. It feels bad and janky to have it happen.

Yeah, it's not clear, though I would argue that a lot of the way combat mechanics resolve in XIV isn't clear. Snapshotting, GCD clipping, and slide casting are all side effects of the way things are implemented. The problem is that I have no idea how hard it would be to change this. No one is saying 2 extra seconds will dumb down Red Mage, but 2 extra seconds would require them to use an entirely different type of trigger. How easy would this be to implement? I have no idea, so I'm not going to give the devs grief over it. That being said, literally every PC proc works the same way, so I'm guessing if there were a better way to do it they would have.