Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

aniviron posted:

Real winners don't do skooma.

Caius does. Are you calling this man a loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Caius is absolutely a loser but skooma is cool

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Normally I would agree, he's a shirtless middle aged man who sits around at home all day; but I am willing to be convinced by pectorals like the ones in that image.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A man whose undercover identity is so perfect and foolproof that he's still tricking people with it 20 years later despite them literally knowing who he is. Flawless performance. What a lad

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you think about the chronically unemployed town drunk/junkie is a really good cover for a spymaster.

Too bad Caius is a method actor

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Everyone in Balmora knows he’s a Blade but they just don’t say anything because they don’t want to hurt his feelings

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

He's a classic Le Carré style agent, whereby his spycraft is competant and he has the ear of the higher-ups but his personal life is a complete catastrophe

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Cookie Cutter posted:

He's a classic Le Carré style agent, whereby his spycraft is competant and he has the ear of the higher-ups but his personal life is a complete catastrophe

We absolutely need a Le Carré-style spy thriller about the Blades. "Perhaps you'd like a desk job, Caius?" "I'm an operator, Control. Just an operator."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So is there an idiot friendly guide for an idiot who knows nothing about Linux on how to get this loving thing - and mods - running on a Steam Deck? Got mine a while ack and finally ready to take this plunge.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I started playing this for the first time in over a decade. I'm using openMW. I keep seeing people say that ownership of items is displayed with the crosshair, but I'm not seeing poo poo and it's not listed in the options.

edit: Oop! I got it. It was under the "advanced" tab in the launcher under "interface."

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 10, 2023

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I started playing this for the first time in over a decade. I'm using openMW. I keep seeing people say that ownership of items is displayed with the crosshair, but I'm not seeing poo poo and it's not listed in the options.

edit: Oop! I got it. It was under the "advanced" tab in the launcher under "interface."

There is also something you can type in the console, I think it is ‘tfh’, that toggles this on.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So is there an idiot friendly guide for an idiot who knows nothing about Linux on how to get this loving thing - and mods - running on a Steam Deck? Got mine a while ack and finally ready to take this plunge.

Hi, I knew nothing about Linux before starting the same process.

It's been a few months but I did it by installing MW via GOG in the Heroic Launcher. OpenMW can be installed via flatpack using the discovery app, and you can point it to the heroic install.

I had to download ini files from Nexus to launch successfully fyi, my install did not properly generate them.

For modding I followed the vanilla expanded list on https://modding-openmw.com/ but also skipped a few I didn't like while adding some from the total overhaul list.

Some notes about what I did, it was very time consuming, and I had access to a windows machine for cleaning plug-ins as I never got tesclean to work on the deck. Keep in mind that even following the guide you will have slightly different filepaths so after generating your load order via the website, don't forget to find+replace the paths in a text editor.

Every mod installed by hand worked with no issues by following the guide EXCEPT the UI mod that requires you to overwrite files in the OpenMW flatpack folder. The OS does not let you do this with the file browser, I had to use Konsole to manually move the files over. If needed I think I have a txt file with the commands I used if you need them, but iirc it was just a mv command (https://linuxhint.com/linux-mv-command-examples/).

The delta plugin works fine you just need to use the correct file paths.

You also have the much faster and easier method of installing MO2 or Vortex via steamtinkerlaunch, which is how I modded my Oblivion install. Once I figured out how to use Vortex I was able to install an entire collection of 200 mods with just a few clicks, but I have no idea how the process works for OpenMW.

As a final hint don't forget to use the OpenMW log files to hunt down any weird issues when testing mods.

As a side note, if anyone knows where to upload an 11 gig zip I'll just upload my entire mod folder+configs for people to use without spending several days manually installing mods. In theory you would just need to overwrite the one folder in the flatpack and then be golden.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Xinlum posted:

Hi, I knew nothing about Linux before starting the same process.

It's been a few months but I did it by installing MW via GOG in the Heroic Launcher. OpenMW can be installed via flatpack using the discovery app, and you can point it to the heroic install.

I had to download ini files from Nexus to launch successfully fyi, my install did not properly generate them.

For modding I followed the vanilla expanded list on https://modding-openmw.com/ but also skipped a few I didn't like while adding some from the total overhaul list.

Some notes about what I did, it was very time consuming, and I had access to a windows machine for cleaning plug-ins as I never got tesclean to work on the deck. Keep in mind that even following the guide you will have slightly different filepaths so after generating your load order via the website, don't forget to find+replace the paths in a text editor.

Every mod installed by hand worked with no issues by following the guide EXCEPT the UI mod that requires you to overwrite files in the OpenMW flatpack folder. The OS does not let you do this with the file browser, I had to use Konsole to manually move the files over. If needed I think I have a txt file with the commands I used if you need them, but iirc it was just a mv command (https://linuxhint.com/linux-mv-command-examples/).

The delta plugin works fine you just need to use the correct file paths.

You also have the much faster and easier method of installing MO2 or Vortex via steamtinkerlaunch, which is how I modded my Oblivion install. Once I figured out how to use Vortex I was able to install an entire collection of 200 mods with just a few clicks, but I have no idea how the process works for OpenMW.

As a final hint don't forget to use the OpenMW log files to hunt down any weird issues when testing mods.

As a side note, if anyone knows where to upload an 11 gig zip I'll just upload my entire mod folder+configs for people to use without spending several days manually installing mods. In theory you would just need to overwrite the one folder in the flatpack and then be golden.

Thank you! I believe Google Drive is 15 gig cap. Not sure what the limit on downloads from people is though. But I know the 'how much poo poo can you upload on here' is 15gb.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thank you! I believe Google Drive is 15 gig cap. Not sure what the limit on downloads from people is though. But I know the 'how much poo poo can you upload on here' is 15gb.

Alright if you have the patience I'm zipping it all up and uploading it now, I'll have a link later today with exact instructions.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QGVhUmQ0y8UdFQI75HyUvB0af-nD6QKT/view?usp=drivesdk

Alright here's a bajillion mods ready to go with step by step instructions for the entire install process. I've included some notes about mods to read up on before playing due to gameplay changes.

I am super curious to see if it works as easy as I think it will. Please report back!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Xinlum posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QGVhUmQ0y8UdFQI75HyUvB0af-nD6QKT/view?usp=drivesdk

Alright here's a bajillion mods ready to go with step by step instructions for the entire install process. I've included some notes about mods to read up on before playing due to gameplay changes.

I am super curious to see if it works as easy as I think it will. Please report back!

DMCA filed I'll see you in court

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So about a week ago, I decided I was going to reinstall Skyrim with a bunch of mods, because I had not played through Dawnguard and Dragonborn, and I wanted to strike them out of my backlog.

As a result, though, it got me watching a lot of TES videos, and it reminded me that I had started Morrowind a few years ago (back in Nov 2019, according to Steam), but I had not made any major progress in it.

I had installed a couple of mods recommended to me to make the game to fix/improve a couple of things. Looking in the Morrowind launcher, I had ScriptImprovements, XE Sky Variations, SpeedAndStaminaMB (don't remember what that does), and DB Attack Mod.

Looking at my old save, the character I made was a Dark Elf, using custom class I made.

The stats:
code:
Level 3

Strength - 58
Intelligence - 40
Willpower - 40
Agility - 50
Speed - 54
Endurance - 69
Personality - 55
Luck - 40
The skills
code:
Major Skills
*Long Blade - 52
*Heavy Armor - 39
*Alteration - 30
*Mysticism - 35
*Illusion - 30

Minor Skills
*Acrobatics - 20
*Athletics - 27
*Restoration - 15
*Spear - 20
*Marksman - 20
I don't remember what it was that I was doing. My last save was in the Fighter's Guild, and I remember that I made contact with Caius Cosades, so I was probably at the point where he tells you to join a guild and get levels/strength to continue the main quest.

I'm wondering if I should just scrap what I've got and switch over to OpenMW. I don't know that much about OpenMW, but from what little I've heard about it, it sounds like on its own, it runs the game in a higher resolution and has some fixes/tweaks built in.

I'm also wondering if I should try a different character build that's easier for a first playthrough. I don't remember why I picked Dark Elf, but I remember I picked Long Blade because my long-term goal for the playthrough was to try and get the Daedric Crescent. Alteration, Mysticism, and Illusion I think were taken so I could invest in spells later on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Move acrobatics out of minor - just run around jumping and it'll get plenty high on its own. Take Armorer instead. I like Spear because particularly at low levels you can run backwards jabbing and outrange everyone chasing you.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I took armorer as a minor on a character I got to level 70~, did 0 skill training on, and repaired everything with hammers and never got it into the 40s.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Mysticism is secretly the most OP magic school. Absorb health is taught at one of the main temples for cheap and is great for getting you through pretty much anything at early levels. Since it's also the school that covers teleportation you'll get tons of mileage out of it even if those are the only two spell effects you ever use

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Absorb health is great. I don't think it's much more expensive than plain destruction spells and it has the side benefit that it doesn't hurt you if it gets reflected.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Gobblecoque posted:

and it has the side benefit that it doesn't hurt you if it gets reflected.

Are you sure? I'm pretty confident it hurts you and heals the target.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, I'm sure.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Even if it does by the time you're dealing with enemies casting reflect you have a lot more tools to deal with the problem, whereas at level 2 you're just praying that your Spear of Underwhelming Shock hits despite your complete lack of stamina

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I just noticed that Morrowind GOTY edition is free with amazon prime gaming. Looks like a GOG code.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Move acrobatics out of minor - just run around jumping and it'll get plenty high on its own. Take Armorer instead. I like Spear because particularly at low levels you can run backwards jabbing and outrange everyone chasing you.

Looking back at some of my previous posts, I think I took Spear in part because there are halberds in the game, and I like halberds.

Don't remember why I took Acrobatics. I want to say it was because I thought both it and Athletics would improve leveling Stamina, but I'm probably wrong about that. Regardless, I can switch it out for Armorer.
-

If I do decide to go with OpenMW, are there any mods I should get for it? I'm not looking to mod the game to the gills like I've done with Skyrim, but I don't know if OpenMW includes some of the more minor mod tweaks like the one that delays the Dark Brotherhood attack. I also don't know if I need a mod manager for it, or if OpenMW has a way to manage data files like the vanilla Morrowind launcher has. I remember being told you need Nexus Mod Manager for it, since Mod Organizer doesn't work, but it's been a few years since then, so maybe that's changed. Alternatively, is it possible for me to carry on with my current game with OpenMW? EDIT: Downloaded OpenMW and set it up, and it does carry over the data files, including the mod fixes I installed, so that's covered.

I've also heard there's another program/utility called Morrowind Script Extender, and there are mods exclusive to it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 12, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Iirc
Athletics is speed
Acrobatics is strength

Spear/ medium/ heavy are the only 3 that are endurance

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

and endurance directly effects your health, so get endurance up asap

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Or you could download a leveling mod so you don't have to pump endurance right away and play in a weird way if you care about maxing your stats (which you don't really have to do to succeed at the game).

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I play with CCCP (a derivative of GCD): and I'm always so disoriented by talk about vanilla leveling system, I don't think I've used it since like the mid 00s

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I play with CCCP (a derivative of GCD): and I'm always so disoriented by talk about vanilla leveling system, I don't think I've used it since like the mid 00s

gotta use mwse instead of openmw for that though

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Any new developments in the Morrowscene?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
New poo poo is being added to nexusmods every day.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cookie Cutter posted:

ChatGPT tell me a story about a lusty argonian maid :spergin:

Not chatgpt but one of the things I tried was generating a book cover for LAM with stable diffusion.

It did a surprisingly good job, I don't have it around anymore to post though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Not chatgpt but one of the things I tried was generating a book cover for LAM with stable diffusion.

It did a surprisingly good job, I don't have it around anymore to post though.

I'm sure it's been brought up, but the ElevenLabs text-to-speech AI has made it possible for Dagoth Ur to have fully voiced dialog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ_L3SFsc3E

For the most part, though, people have been using it to make shitposts. Bad news is that they've added a paywall, and I was too late to get in on it while it was still free. Good news is that seems like the people who did or who are willing to pay are still making videos.

This one's currently my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8gF9KFBc5I

-

More on point, I spent a good chunk of the afternoon yesterday starting a new game in Morrowind via OpenMW. I went with a slightly different setup then previous. I still went with Dark Elf, with my Major skills being Long Blade, Heavy Armor, Alteration, and Illusion. However, from viewing a video guide online, I moved Mysticism into the Minor Skills, and picked Restoration as my fifth Major Skill. The remaining Minor skills I filled with Enchant, Alchemy, Armorer, and Block. The video guide suggested Enchant as a Minor Skill because they said that enchantments could be used to make up for deficits in other skills later on. I think I took Intelligence and Willpower as favored skills to try to boost the magic skills and round everything out, as well as taking The Lover birthsign for an extra 25 points in Agility.

However, this build may have been a mistake.

I ran around doing some of the various quests in Seyda Neen, and then took the Silt Strider to Balmora to find Caius Cosades. I went to the Blades trainers that Caius directed me to, and I found out that they will straight up give you stuff if you ask them about 'Blades Training' (the two closest to Caius give you some steel armor and an alembic for alchemy, another farther away gives you moon sugar to sell). I did that and then joined the Fighter's Guild, as I did last time. I did the first two quests (clearing out the rats in the house, and the egg poachers), but the third (dispatching the Telvanni Agents) I ran into difficulty, because you end up fighting three enemies (or four, since I think one summons a skeleton), and I could not clear them out.

I took that as a sign that I should backtrack a bit and maybe do some other stuff to level up, because at this point, I was still Level 1. I ended up walking all the way back to Seyda Need (stopping in Caldera for some trading, and Pelagiad to try and do some quest stuff). I cleared out the bandit cave in Seyda Neen and freed the slaves inside. I finally reached Level 2 when I took the Silt Strider back to the Balmora Fighter's Guild, and I trained one of my Major/Minor skills up to get the Leveling prompt.

It occurred to me that I maybe did not pick the most ideal build for how I've played the game so far. Most of my skills are tied to the magic section, but I've only run around hitting enemies with a Long Sword, only using the occasional Restoration spell to heal. I get levels in Athletics/Acrobatics from running/jumping everywhere, but since neither of those are Major or Minor skills, they don't progress levels. I've tried making potions with Alchemy, but most of my attempts result in failures.

Taking Heavy Armor was probably a bad move because it gives very little carrying weight for bringing back any potential finds. What's more, it occurred to me that because I didn't take Speechcraft & Mercantile, I'm probably not getting the best prices that I could for selling stuff, and when it comes to Persuasion, I'd have to save-scum like hell to keep from lowering dispositions.

I thought about starting over (again), and before I went to bed last night, I quickly made (but forgot to save) an Orc character where I took all the Combat Skills for Major and Minor so as to min/max everything and potentially level faster.

However, I think I could probably salvage the Dark Elf character I have, but it's just that I have to figure out how to level them properly. I figure I need to join the Mages' Guild in addition to the Fighter's Guild in order to get access to more magic skills. I tried casting the default Chameleon spell you get by taking Illusion, but it took several casts and a lot of resting before I got a skill increase in it (I figure leveling Illusion would help to improve my Personality and in turn Speechcraft and Mercantile).

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Eh, you'll be god no matter what in like 10 levels, I wouldn't stress too much

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

That voice synthesis has a free 1 month trial fwiw

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

mbt posted:

gotta use mwse instead of openmw for that though

I'm using Phi's Carefree Leveling with OpenMW and I've been happy with it.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
The AI voice Dagoth Ur videos have made me want to play again... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxRmXuc6euM This one might be my favorite. It also makes me wish they kept the player's option to join the Sixth House (maybe I'll try one of the mods that attempts it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

V for Vegas posted:

She is worried why she started off in a prison ship with that ‘creepy dark elf’ and what she could have done to end up in jail. Definitely trying to live a reformed life now she is out.

Not to say we don’t bend the rules. She originally felt sorry for Fargoth and returned his ring. But he is too ugly so has become our sworn enemy! (She was not pleased to learn he was a wood elf like her). Despite the ‘no stealing’ policy, she was more than happy to steal the ring from his tree stump. But would not hear of not returning the gold to Hrisskar, because that was stealing!

Haven’t done much combat so far. All the monsters are much uglier (everything is nice or ugly) than the Bokoblins in Breath of the Wild (her favourite game – she can beat Ganon solo). Is amazed by the fact that weapons don’t just break in this game. She really likes the cooking in BotW so just wants to do lots of cooking in MW too – I have to say the Ashfall system for this is very good.

We are playing this with Morrowind ‘as is’ with all the mods I have been installing – so Harder Barter, MDMD, Ashfall and dozens more. I’m doing all the controlling so its up to me to git gud if we hit a rough patch.

Up to Balmora now, she likes that House Hlaalu is nice to outlanders, because we are an outlander. But now getting lots of questions about where wood elves come from and who all the different races are. I'm going to have to brush up on my Tamriel lore to keep ahead of the curve.
Holy poo poo, the fits of nostalgia that will make this kid reinstall this old-rear end game in a futile attempt to relive her childhood a few decades down the road will be BRUTAL.
But on the other hand it will give her the perfect excuse to try out the newest morrowind mods :)

Nektu fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 14, 2023