Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
TheDarkID had all of his youtube videos be deleted due to some music based takedown strikes, and those never had backups. It makes me really wish there was another viable website for uploading these like there were back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There is - archive.org

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

archive.org has videos for the LPs that were video only, but do they have anything from screenshot or hybrid LPs? And if so, how do you find it?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Unfortunately, A Love That Crushes Like A Mace and the Chrono Cross rock opera are likely lost forever. :smith:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

archive.org has videos for the LPs that were video only, but do they have anything from screenshot or hybrid LPs? And if so, how do you find it?

The LP archive has always taken copies of images instead of linking to the original for exactly this reason (any that are missing were likely missing at the time of archiving, which could easily happen with waffleimages)

In the distant past the archiver also used to download Google Videos, but that was when video hosting was limited to such small/low-quality files that it was viable.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Said it before: believe in baldurk

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Namtab posted:

Said it before: believe in baldurk

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Hi everyone, I have been considering an SSLP of this wuxia RPG called Ho Tu Luo Shu and would like your feedback on any improvements I could make. It is in fact considerably more work than I thought but I think I have the hang of it now.

OP
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162316

Update 1: Tutorial
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162317

I am also in need of a catchy title if anyone can think of one. Otherwise I will probably just go with Let's Play: Ho Tu Luo Shu: an Open-world Wuxia RPG, which is kind of boring. Thank you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I would say, make the character portraits for dialogue slightly smaller, they take up a lot of space.

Also as a personal question/preference, how much do the mods change the actual gameplay? Because I'm fine with following an LP with quality of life mods, I'm less interested if the mods majorly change the gameplay.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe a pun with wuxia like "Wuxia doing?" or somethind dumb like "Crpg stand for chinese rpg!"

I'm not the best at catchy titles.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the screenshot text is really hard to read. While you're trascribing dialogue, stuff like the skill (weapon? upgrade?) tree is almost impossible to decipher. Might be just my non-4K monitor, though.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Yeah, I will probably downsize the character portraits. I think they are 75x100px now, I will try maybe 45x60px?

The translation+skillbook mod doesn't change any of the core gameplay as far as I can tell. The modded skillbooks are super obvious because they have custom icons, animations and also they will look like: hmm 208dmg for 3 AP, that's pretty standard, wait holy poo poo why does it have a 15ft range?

Frankly the vanilla skills are all pretty samey so the modded skills introduce some spice. I will probably have some kind of vote regarding whether or not to learn and use them, although that is looking a bit too far forward.

The text is just really small and blurry even in the base game. I'm used to it now, but it was a major turnoff for me when I was just starting the game. Eventually I just pulled the monitor closer to the edge of the table. I think I will use original size screenshots for the combat mechanics/character creation and see if that helps.

Thanks for the feedback!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you can swing 50 x 50 and it isn't too much work to just remake the portraits - I don't recommend resizing them to a different aspect ratio - that's what I'd do. Otherwise 45 x 60 isn't that much of a difference, it'll probably work fine.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
I have a 2nd update on the Ho Tu Lo Shu SSLP, mostly regarding character creation. It took longer than expected, which is apparently going to be a theme. I am using the original screenshots and have timg'd them. Could someone could look through them and see if readability has improved? Thank you.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162319

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is there a way to download full lparchives for offline reading? Not the biggest deal, I was just curious if there was an easy way to.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Not full ones that i've seen, but you can save the individual pages as "complete web page" and most lps don't have that many updates so you can probably get it done within 5 minutes.

look 108 updates for a suikoden game was funny don't @ me

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

vilkacis posted:

look 108 updates for a suikoden game was funny don't @ me

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There are programs that can copy webpages and links. I forget which one a friend recommended me, cyo-something

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
This is the first time I've been back to the forums in a while. So how about I jump in with both feet with a MekHQ / MegaMek / PoptartsNinja ripoff narrative Battletech campaign?

OP and stuff: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162355

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Scintilla posted:

This is the first time I've been back to the forums in a while. So how about I jump in with both feet with a MekHQ / MegaMek / PoptartsNinja ripoff narrative Battletech campaign?

That could be pretty rad, I'd definitely be up for following that.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

Scintilla posted:

This looks pretty cool.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Scintilla posted:

only note i have is to not use [timg] for stuff, because clicking all the pics all the time is really annoying

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

timg is also not supported by the archive, but yeah, it's annoying to click through

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
It's always difficult to handle wide images if you're trying to fit the archive- all you have is hoping it resizes okay, or finding a good way to crop it without being massively time consuming.

Timg just doesn't really help. It's mostly just for not eating up space when quoting other posts from what I gather.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you need to do frequent crops and it's at all possible for the game you're LPing, I recommend making a batch crop script in Photoshop or what-have-you to automatically crop to specific screen regions. It was the only thing that made it possible for me to LP Disco Elysium, for instance.

For DE, I would do several prep steps because in addition to crops for the text boxes I would also have manual crops for wider shots. Take screenshots, batch crop to the text box, manually sort out of the original shots anything that doesn't include the text box for a manual crop later, manually crop those images, replace the redundant images from those by combining the folder with the one you exported the batch crop to (which is easy because the images have the same names so they're automatically replaced), and then a final batch resize/conversion to jpg. It sounds like a lot but it was fairly simple.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Arist posted:

If you need to do frequent crops and it's at all possible for the game you're LPing, I recommend making a batch crop script in Photoshop or what-have-you to automatically crop to specific screen regions. It was the only thing that made it possible for me to LP Disco Elysium, for instance.

For DE, I would do several prep steps because in addition to crops for the text boxes I would also have manual crops for wider shots. Take screenshots, batch crop to the text box, manually sort out of the original shots anything that doesn't include the text box for a manual crop later, manually crop those images, replace the redundant images from those by combining the folder with the one you exported the batch crop to (which is easy because the images have the same names so they're automatically replaced), and then a final batch resize/conversion to jpg. It sounds like a lot but it was fairly simple.

Some good info here, sounds like a solid workflow.

Luckily, the only LP I've got in the workshop right now that has an issue with width luckily downscales quite nicely and anything I may need to crop can just be cropped alone.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arist posted:

If you enjoy using the command line, ImageMagick can batch-resize many images at once easily ('mogrify -filter Lanczos -resize'). I also use it to create the 'summary images' that have many images tiled together, as well, with the 'montage' command.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Scintilla posted:

Holy poo poo it's Scintilla, how the hell you been? Welcome back! :buddy:

I don't have any advice for that post beyond being very intimidated by it :ohdear: but it's nice to see you around, your LPs were always a treat

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

theshim posted:

Holy poo poo it's Scintilla, how the hell you been? Welcome back! :buddy:

I don't have any advice for that post beyond being very intimidated by it :ohdear: but it's nice to see you around, your LPs were always a treat

Thanks! It's been a while I know. I've been busy with work and other things, but now I have some spare time so I'm thinking about trying my hand at another LP. This one will probably be my most ambitious yet, but hey, who dares wins.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. I've removed all of the timg links, so is this any better? I can probably crop the MekHQ images down further if necessary. The one part of the LP that will definitely need to be timg'd are the unit status sheets and the map files, because they are quite big and contain important information that the players cannot do without, so cannot be reasonably resized or cut down. PoptartsNinja does this for his Battletech LP's, as can be seen here, so hopefully it's not a fatal issue.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Scintilla posted:

Thanks! It's been a while I know. I've been busy with work and other things, but now I have some spare time so I'm thinking about trying my hand at another LP. This one will probably be my most ambitious yet, but hey, who dares wins.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. I've removed all of the timg links, so is this any better? I can probably crop the MekHQ images down further if necessary. The one part of the LP that will definitely need to be timg'd are the unit status sheets and the map files, because they are quite big and contain important information that the players cannot do without, so cannot be reasonably resized or cut down. PoptartsNinja does this for his Battletech LP's, as can be seen here, so hopefully it's not a fatal issue.

Looks pretty good, though I seem to recall a rule of thumb of keeping your images sized to 900 pixels horizontally at the maximum.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PurpleXVI posted:

Looks pretty good, though I seem to recall a rule of thumb of keeping your images sized to 900 pixels horizontally at the maximum.

That's the size limit for lparchive, if you don't plan on having baldurk put it there you can do whatever you want.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

That's the size limit for lparchive, if you don't plan on having baldurk put it there you can do whatever you want.

Huh, yeah, you're right, for some reason I had just internalized that as best posting practices. I do think it generally also looks nice on most resolutions, though.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Thanks again guys. I don't think I'll ever get the mapsheets under 900 pixels, so I'll just resign myself to the LP never going on the archives. I'll do some last minute prep work then post the OP.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
What is a good size when it comes to people's faces for dialogue purposes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If they're all going to look like that, that size is fine. For more detailed faces, I went with 60x60 in my original P5 LP and honestly regret it because they felt too small. Since then I've generally gone with 80x80 and felt that's a good size.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Arist posted:

If they're all going to look like that, that size is fine. For more detailed faces, I went with 60x60 in my original P5 LP and honestly regret it because they felt too small. Since then I've generally gone with 80x80 and felt that's a good size.

Thank you for the feedback. They'll all be similar to this so there won't be a lot of detail to see but you'll be able to identify who's who.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I usually lean towards somewhere around 100x100 myself, but also no LP I've done actually uses that resolution. I'm also usually doing portraits for every expression where possible/distinguishable, although I've never known if it makes that much of a difference.

I'm running Fates at 128x128 which is honestly a bit big, but I'm also using basically direct rips from the game's files and downsizing does them no favors. RFF is at 90x90, which was the smallest I could get at the time and still retain facial expressions.

What I've got in the workshop at the moment is looking like 105x105, and while i wanted expressions for it, there wasn't a clean way to capture and downsize them in a way that looked good and/or actually see the expression. I suppose it saves me work manually inserting them.

In the end, I just like my portraits larger, I guess. Nobody's complained yet.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

What is a good size when it comes to people's faces for dialogue purposes?

But yeah, seconding that if they're all just character heads like this, you're probably fine. I did this for Death Road and it worked well at 50x50.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I probably will make things slightly bigger as I need to accommodate some of the larger hairstyles. I'll also need to adjust some of the dimensions as there are going to be characters with differently shaped heads throughout the game.

I appreciate your comments, thank you to both of you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I generally aim for 80x80, I don't know why, it just seems generally appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

I generally aim for 80x80, I don't know why, it just seems generally appropriate.

That would definitely give me some more leeway. I'll play around with it some more in a couple of days.