Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah. Hydra is a great bot for sure despite my feelings about every single member of the Eward family acting like bullies from a 1980's teen movie. But Tantrum has the script to beat them: be aggressive from weird angles, use a little studder-step to bait the flipper, then get under it and punch the nose until it bends/breaks. Tantrum happens to be able to do all of this by virtue of being way faster. Some bots just can't do that because they're too slow of their driver isn't good enough to outmaneuver Jake Eward's careful driving. Hydra is actually pretty sluggish compared to an increasingly fast and nimble field. I would love to see Hydra vs. this new Claw Viper that's setting the world on fire. :allears:

Team Whyachi is one of the most important teams in the sport because their machine shop makes parts that all the other bots use. Despite the producers attempts to play off Jake Ewert as a villain, he really isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Reese Eward seems like a nice guy. I don't immediately recall him being a dick at any point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sweet geek swag posted:

Team Whyachi is one of the most important teams in the sport because their machine shop makes parts that all the other bots use. Despite the producers attempts to play off Jake Ewert as a villain, he really isn't.

His fiendish plot next season: not doing that anymore :v:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Reese Eward seems like a nice guy. I don't immediately recall him being a dick at any point.

Err, aren't they the Ewert family?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Err, aren't they the Ewert family?

I dunno I didn't bother to look it up I just went off how the last guy spelled it

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno I didn't bother to look it up I just went off how the last guy spelled it

Goddammit, I even corrected it in the post where I quoted to avoid this.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Goddammit, I even corrected it in the post where I quoted to avoid this.

this is why you just post and let god sort it out

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Yeah, that was my bad. But also,

Borsche69 posted:

this is why you just post and let god sort it out

:hmmyes:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
TBH I just assumed I'd been hearing it wrong for years, it wouldn't be the first time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Claw Viper-Overhaul and Starchild-Mammoth reek of the schedulers amusing themselves.

But yeah, that Starchild-Mammoth fight is gonna be wacky for sure.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

:lol: they are punking Overhaul giving them a similar grappler bot, but one that is actually good this year.

Going to be some big hits this week, and probably some real short fights.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Ooo I like that Minotaur/Cobalt rematch. In the first fight Cobalt got its feeder wedge torn off immediately and couldn't reach Minotaur with its weapon for pretty much the whole fight. Curious to see how it goes this time now that Cobalt has a better design for the ground game

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

But yeah, that Starchild-Mammoth fight is gonna be wacky for sure.

I reckon it'll be boring. Two massive bots that don't really do damage just bouncing off of each other for 3 minutes.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Gigabyte is going to win on durability.

Claw Viper is going to end the season the undisputed king of grapplers now that it's working. They need to take out Whiplash and Kraken and Quantum somehow still, but I think this is their year.

Horizon is still an anemic punching bag for other bots.

I think the only way the Mammoth / Starchild fight could be anything other than a boring shoving match is if Starchild bolts Hydra's anti-Huge bikerack to their tail, if only for the poo poo talk between the drivers and seeing Huge rip it to shreds.

Triton is always a joy to see, but Copperhead is an all around competent durable and nimble bot, and it's going to float-like-a-butterfly sting-like-a-bee all over Triton and win handily.

Given Kraken's driver's struggles to drive with the new centripetal forces, I think Lucky is going to dominate this fight.

Minotaur v Cobalt is going to be fun, but I have no clue who's going to win it. I'll be rooting for the Brazilians.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Slyphic posted:

Minotaur v Cobalt is going to be fun, but I have no clue who's going to win it. I'll be rooting for the Brazilians.

Without results spoilers: Fun was an understatement, what an amazing fight.

Claw Viper vs Overhaul also surprisingly good. Overhaul is a lot of fun when it isn't getting immediately ripped apart.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bloodsport-Gigabyte: Good lord, Gigabyte got launched into orbit.

Claw Viper-Overhaul: Fun for a zero-damage fight. Overhaul kept it closer than I thought they would.

Horizon-Monsoon: Poor Horizon. That went about as expected.

They name-checked NHRL in the preview!

Starchild-Mammoth: I have no idea how you would even score this match. I guess the judges got it right? :shrug:

Once again, I have to question if this Starchild concept is viable at 250 lbs. Every time they go for a thwack, the motion pushes the wheels backward and they end up coming up short of their target no matter how close they were to them to start. Mammoth was on its back, and Starchild was just whaling away at the ground in front of it.

Triton-Copperhead: Oh my god, you looked like you were doing OK for a minute there Triton.

That slowmo of Copperhead getting high centered was very cool.

Lucky-Kraken: You could tell Kraken was having drive problems before the fight.

Minotaur-Cobalt: Wow! What a comeback. Minotaur finally ripped off those forks and got the knockout blow.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Claw Viper is so incredibly fast :stare:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Overhaul made some pretty dumb choices in that match.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Mammoth getting the same the type of fight with both Huge and Starchild is kinda wild.

Need an actual physicist to explain it

e: Triton sliding the battery under Copperhead was totally intentional and not accidental at all and they got screwed :colbert:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 17, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
That was bullshit, I want to see the scorecard's from the Copperhead Triton match.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Minotaur hot drat :stare:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Minotaur hot drat :stare:

Good fight. I figured either there'd be one big hit and it'd be over or the two would go at it and I figured they'd have the edge in durability, guess I was right. Not really sure what happened, I guess their weapon stopped working right at the moment and they couldn't get going again.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

That was bullshit, I want to see the scorecard's from the Copperhead Triton match.

How is it bullshit :lol:. Copperhead probably got almost all the points. (unless you were live commenting then okay).

It was weird that they had Anna commenting on the Starchild fight without ever mentioning that they Riperoni and Starchild are both on the same team... Although Chris mixing up her last name was pretty funny.

Also if you gonna fight Minotaur you better be prepared to go the full 3 minutes...

Also crazy that there is still 8 more weeks of these preliminary fights.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 17, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How is it bullshit :lol:. Copperhead probably got almost all the points. (unless you were live commenting then okay).

It was sarcasm. The joke being that it was a very clear cut fight. Although I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing if Triton scored any points.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Gotta love the Triton and Copperhead teams waiting at the judges decision, having to pretend they don't know what's coming.

Triton basically managed to pull the opposite of Tombstone's maneuver there, didn't they?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This has been one of the most fun storylines of the season. Can't wait to see how far they can go.

PostNouveau posted:

That slowmo of Copperhead getting high centered was very cool.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That was some fine bot battling. I'd like to see the new Kraken operating at full capacity. They are a fun team.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

God drat, Minotaur. God drat. :allears:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Mammoth getting the same the type of fight with both Huge and Starchild is kinda wild.

Need an actual physicist to explain it

I assume it's the angles of attack involved. Both Mammoth and Huge/Starchild are built to fight bots much smaller than them, and part of that involves an expectation of where in their weapons' respective arcs they'll see an impact, with the energy being dissipated in a direction they're compensating for. Add in the fact that they all make use of that weird plastic to make a bot of that size feasible within the weight limit.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Railing Kill posted:

God drat, Minotaur. God drat. :allears:

I actually stood up and started applauding when Minotaur finally flipped Cobalt over. What a great bot and great driver.

It seems like the dude has finally got the driving really dialed in. Either it's better at controlling now or he's got a lot of practice with it. I remember the first few seasons with it, it was almost out of control how fast it was and he was constantly just plowing head first into the walls.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 20, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Fish Of Doom posted:

It seems like the dude has finally got the driving really dialed in. Either it's better at controlling now or he's got a lot of practice with it. I remember the first few seasons with it, it was almost out of control how fast it was and he was constantly just plowing head first into the walls.

He added 100lb of magnetic downforce this season iirc

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I got excited when I saw this on Netflix, but it's only the first season of the Discovery reboot. I would buy a VPN but I can't justify paying for that on top of Discovery+.

Oh well, at least I have this to tide me over. Vanquish being torn in half and HyperShock getting eviscerated are moments that I won't be forgetting any time soon. Spinners have come a long way since Robot Wars :suspense:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 22, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Tantrum v. Blip :ohdear:

Quantum v. Black Dragon is a real test for Quantum. If they can win that fight, they're legit. My guess is Black Dragon is too fast for them and inexplicably too unkillable, but we'll see.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Quantum v. Black Dragon is a real test for Quantum. If they can win that fight, they're legit. My guess is Black Dragon is too fast for them and inexplicably too unkillable, but we'll see.

Yeah, I think Quantum v. Black Dragon is the most interesting fight of the night. If Quantum can drive a Whiplash-like fight and keep them from spinning up, they might be able to bite enough times.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

Even though they made the fight cards before filming started, Tantrum Vs Blip is a pretty cruel fight with Blip going into the fight 0-2 with Banshee being their last fight of the season. Not sure if Blip will get in the 32 if they don't win against Tantrum, who already beat Hydra :lol:.

I'd be surprised if Quantum pulled off the upset against a bot like Black Dragon. Quantum just going to have to get lucky with a good solid bite into some batteries to get the upset.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I don't think the bots have to win fights to get into the 32, they just have to be entertaining.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

TomR posted:

I don't think the bots have to win fights to get into the 32, they just have to be entertaining.

It's a bit of both. I wouldn't imagine a scenario where, say, Ripperoni went 0-4 but was really weird and entertaining and they let them into the tourney anyway. Wins probably matter more, and being entertaining will break ties for teams on the bubble.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
For sure it's both, but I could imagine a scenario where a rookie bot that barely works gets four technical wins in boring fights, while a known bot like say Witch Doctor looses four exciting tough fights and still gets in.That's super extreme and I don't think it will happen, but a bot like Blip that they have hyped up a bunch will probably get in as long as it's entertaining and they don't have to bump off another veteran bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

In the past, 32 has been a lot of spots to fill so they've let .500 bots or even losing bots in. I feel like I remember this being based on strength of schedule most though.