Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
I can understand some people wanting to help defend Ukraine based on how the ongoing civil war has been reported but I can’t understand anyone thinking Ukraine is a democracy.

e: since I snipe I will link NPR of all things saying

Zelenskyy has consolidated Ukraine's TV outlets and dissolved rival political parties

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/08/1110577439/zelenskyy-has-consolidated-ukraines-tv-outlets-and-dissolved-rival-political-par

And even before the current SMO many parties were banned. Now the defense is that all these parties are Russian fifth-columnists and banning them is good, but I still don’t see how that is democratic.

Turtle Watch has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Slavvy posted:

Whoa which democratic country is under attack??

Russia

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
what that Z in the top right corner

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

not sure i approve of this thoughtful approach to war, i prefer units being flung all over the place for spectacular battles with questionable, if any, gains

My approach to war was always to simply group up the whole screen of mammoth tanks to "1" and tell them to attack the enemy base.

Or if playing NOD the same thing but a shitload of laser tanks & aircraft.

War just isn't that complicated.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

the fate of the western world is at stake if we don't stop the Russian attack that isn't coming because Russia has already lost

Everyone outside of Europe: Oh well, shame. Keep making those luxury sunglasses and shoes Europe. That's all we care about.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Turtle Watch posted:

I can understand some people wanting to help defend Ukraine based on how the ongoing civil war has been reported but I can’t understand anyone thinking Ukraine is a democracy.

e: since I snipe I will link NPR of all things saying

Zelenskyy has consolidated Ukraine's TV outlets and dissolved rival political parties

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/08/1110577439/zelenskyy-has-consolidated-ukraines-tv-outlets-and-dissolved-rival-political-par

And even before the current SMO many parties were banned. Now the defense is that all these parties are Russian fifth-columnists and banning them is good, but I still don’t see how that is democratic.

the idea is that since ukraine subscribes to a pro-western, european view of the modern project, they're a democracy, because that is what being a democracy basically is to most westerners. there are elections, which are relatively fair, for public office; this can be seen in poroshenko actually losing in 2019. public office has enumerated powers, which are reasonably clearly defined and delineated. finally, they believe in our project of modernity, which we call "rule of the people" regardless of what we think about the people ruling much of anything.

banning parties, random militiamen being able to openly mock the elected head of the executive to his face, the intense corruption and disenfranchisement of minorities - none of this outweighs the formal commitments and the substantial commitment to the western ideological programme. you can see something of the kind being advanced to make israel the only democracy in the middle east, or back in the day to claim that apartheid south africa was a democratic state.

we would not recognise as a democracy a society in which "the people" had a greater say in the direct running of the state, but which subscribed to some other formal-institutional framework or a different project of modernity - the closest i can think of would be something like grenada, where things were supposedly run by local citizens' assemblies and syndicates, and where the role of the state was perceived as effectively a secretariat to these decisionmaking bodies.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Levi_godman/status/1624479384059932673

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Slavvy posted:

Whoa which democratic country is under attack??

Ukraine is perceived as being democratic in the US and in the West in general. That can account to the difference in support for war today as opposed to the wars in the distant past, where democracy was freely given to those in the desert who hadn't had the taste of moist lips of freedom.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Yeah that makes sense, democracy is based on vibes

e: responding to V. Ilych

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would not be surprised if the nyt called Saudi Arabia or Israel “democracies”

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Our mismanged lovely island is falling apart from decades of incompetent leadership and rot. What do we do?

(snaps fingers) Blame magical ninja spies!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

I would not be surprised if the nyt called Saudi Arabia or Israel “democracies”

https://freedomhouse.org/explore-the-map?type=fotn&year=2022

i think they intentionally leave israel off so they don't have to say anything, they're at 'no data'. saudi has a higher score than iran and china

there was another democracy map that was making the rounds a couple weeks ago that kinda reflected this one

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Our mismanged lovely island is falling apart from decades of incompetent leadership and rot. What do we do?

(snaps fingers) Blame magical ninja spies!

Margaret Thatcher was a real life Manchurian Candidate, OP! Blair too!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spain is not free lol

hahahah

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the definition of democracy and peace process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIMsH33DtEM

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have labeled all my enemies not free. What a coincidence

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

"kamikaze spies" sounds counterproductive

i would like my spies to stay alive as long as possible to keep spying

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

I have labeled all my enemies not free. What a coincidence

i'm surprised that turkey's so low tbh, plus a pretty weird mix of countries when they can't get half of europe

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

Spain is not free lol

hahahah

Big Franco fan, eh? :thunk:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

the definition of democracy and peace process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIMsH33DtEM

A handy video and very good of you to post it. If anyone needs a primer this would be it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

comedyblissoption posted:

it matters for this conflict! aoc and bernie are training their base to be more warmongering and bloodthirsty than republicans!

do you honestly believe Bernie, who was pro intervention in Yugoslavia and Afghanistan, ever had a particularly principled pacifist base

democrats are exactly the same thing as republicans, these signals are understood to be entirely partisan rather than based in any anti war ideology. reading into this signaling as significant in anyone's political development is missing the forest for the trees. mass political indoctrination isn't accomplished by legislators' occasional sound bites

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

do you honestly believe Bernie, who was pro intervention in Yugoslavia and Afghanistan, ever had a particularly principled pacifist base

democrats are exactly the same thing as republicans, these signals are understood to be entirely partisan rather than based in any anti war ideology. reading into this signaling as significant in anyone's political development is missing the forest for the trees. mass political indoctrination isn't accomplished by legislators' occasional sound bites

Am I wrong to think that a lot of these people especially the Tucker Carson types are "we need to fight the real war against China, not against liberal economic/socially conservative White potential allies like Russia"

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

V. Illych L. posted:

there are elections, which are relatively fair,

Please ignore the repeated coups when we don't like the results. Or the millions of dollars we pump in to influencing those elections.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/3662a707-0af9-3149-963f-47bea720b460

quote:

Le Queux had started off as a journalist on the Daily Mail - but then had travelled around Europe getting to know lots of famous and infamous people. But as he did so he became convinced that many of the European countries, but most of all Germany, envied Britain and wanted to get their hands on the wealth of the Empire.

The trouble was that the British people didn't realise this. So Le Queux set out to warn them - above all by telling them that the Germans were sending spies to Britain to prepare for an invasion.

quote:

"One of the most famous successes of the British Security Service was its great spy round-up of August 1914. The event is still celebrated by MI5, but a careful study of the recently-opened records show it to be a complete fabrication - MI5 created and perpetuated this remarkable lie.

The great spy round-up of August 1914 never took place - as it was a complete fabrication designed to protect MO5(G) from the interference of politicians or bureaucrats.

The claim made next day that all but one had been arrested was false, and its constant repetition by Kell and Holt-Wilson was a lie."

In other words - MI5 had followed the shining example of William Le Queux and made it all up.

Also this:

quote:

Cradock - along with a number of others high up in the intelligence agencies - really believed that Gorbachev's reforms were just a cunning ruse to deceive the West. And - as Mark Urban has pointed out in his book UK Eyes Alpha - Sir Percy used his position to make sure that this view dominated the Joint Intelligence Committee.

But as Urban also points out - Sir Percy and his allies had no secret evidence for this. They relied on what was pompously called "analysing open source data". Otherwise known as reading the newspapers and watching TV. Except they interpreted that data in a mad way - driven by their own fevered imaginings of a world completely possessed by infinite levels of deception.

Mrs Thatcher realised this was bonkers - and she finally gave up on the spies.

Reminiscent of a modern day thing too?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm sorry but faking something to justify your existence is like the job description of any state security service.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Isentropy posted:

Am I wrong to think that a lot of these people especially the Tucker Carson types are "we need to fight the real war against China, not against liberal economic/socially conservative White potential allies like Russia"

they absolutely are. but even if they weren't, they'd become hawks again as soon as Trump or DeSantis said when

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

HouseofLordsdomor

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

So that artillery school PR piece had some stuff in it like

Holding drills with a mix officers of different countries/ethnicities so that they get used to various accents and don't get tripped up on them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3O-femJsaA&t=423s

Apparently they also hold balls? They really should just give everyone a proper dress uniform though if they want to keep pulling aristocrat poo poo like that. That green jumpsuit looking them looks so out of place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3O-femJsaA&t=927s

Oh and since this is a PR piece there's also a bunch of guys from equatorial guinea posing for the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3O-femJsaA&t=988s

Yeah we have the annual Artillery Ball too

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

HouseofLordsdomor

Imagine how bad the kasha made out of the people in that building would taste

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah we have the annual Artillery Ball too

loving monarchies, can't believe bolsheviks didn't put an end to this poo poo. Ooooo horrible bloody red terror can't even deal with one royalist tradition.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Bolsheviks weren't party poopers :colbert:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The Bolsheviks weren't party poopers :colbert:

I'd ask the spd and mensheviks about that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New reading series just dropped:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Isentropy posted:

That, and of course, the need to bring the troops home so they can inflict the horrors of empire domestically.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

That, and of course, the need to bring the troops home so they can inflict the horrors of empire domestically.

Can't bring the troops home while there is a need to project power to ensure petrodollar dominance. And whenever that changes (because nothing lasts forever) who knows if home is where the troops will want to finish up.

In a real collapse taken from any number of cyberpunk themed novels the overseas troops just get abandoned entirely and have to figure out their own survival or way home.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Can't bring the troops home while there is a need to project power to ensure petrodollar dominance. And whenever that changes (because nothing lasts forever) who knows if home is where the troops will want to finish up.

Well Ukrainians certainly don't want to finish up in Ukraine. Anyone that has, or will have, an opportunity is fleeing to Europe. Americas for the more political ones probably.

Don't know where the Americans would want to run to though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DancingShade posted:

In a real collapse taken from any number of cyberpunk themed novels the overseas troops just get abandoned entirely and have to figure out their own survival or way home.

Well I guess that's better than a new Freikorps...:stare:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Would the Czech Legion count here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Isentropy posted:

they seem pretty explicit about it.