Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ersatz posted:

I'm saying that you haven't demonstrated that the episode we both watched was mediocre; I don't believe that it was. More than that I found the episode interesting for the reasons described in my posts. But sure, I'll shrug my shoulders here and add that I don't care enough to continue arguing the point.

Edit :

You know what, not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I liked the episode but one thing that stood out:

Joel: I don't work with rats.

sure joel, you only give them good drugs for favored treatment. Don't act all high and mighty.

I mean the whole point of this episode is revenge is a destructive force and blind revenge is even worse. they could of spent time securing Kansas City, figuring out how to feed people, and creating a better place but they were more interested in killing people or trying to scam people like raiders. Video Game Tommy in the previous episode even tries to steer them towards dealing with the things that are going to kill them and she insists on the revenge tour like that does anyone for anything.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I mean there's a big difference between a small hustle and ratting put someone that might get them executed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

I mean there's a big difference between a small hustle and ratting put someone that might get them executed.

I mean, I think its a grey area. He is giving stuff to have agents look the other way and the agents get stuff to help them do their job of controlling the QZ. There is a bit of rum, molasses, slaves element to it.

then again, it seems like Boston FEDRA was better than KC FEDRA?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't help but wonder if Ellie's knife is way more dangerous than her gun with the amount of mushroom zombie blood it's been exposed to.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

stev posted:

You mean the reusable magnet paper? It's like an etch-a-sketch.

Oh cool, cheers, that makes more sense. I could have sworn they were tearing them off. I’ve never seen a thing like that and my computer was a few ft away.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So we're those zombies that came out of the whole a different type than the regular ones we see in early episodes? Seems like their heads looked different, more mushroomy

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So we're those zombies that came out of the whole a different type than the regular ones we see in early episodes? Seems like their heads looked different, more mushroomy

Mix of clickers, runners and one bloater. It's all a gradual stage thing so they were made up to be in stages.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 11, 2023

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think some of them were clickers. But in the game it's stated they're constantly evolving so there's also other variants and such.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Edit: nevermind. that is kind of a spoiler.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 12, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

There are a handful of different varieties as the infection progresses, but they generally all react to loud sounds in the same way - run towards it and bite you.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm very happy with the Nydus cluster eruption that I hoped would happen in KC, but at this point will probably be unresolved. At this point, i'm assuming we can all assume its gonna happen in KC too.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I liked the episode but one thing that stood out:

sure joel, you only give them good drugs for favored treatment. Don't act all high and mighty.

I mean the whole point of this episode is revenge is a destructive force and blind revenge is even worse. they could of spent time securing Kansas City, figuring out how to feed people, and creating a better place but they were more interested in killing people or trying to scam people like raiders. Video Game Tommy in the previous episode even tries to steer them towards dealing with the things that are going to kill them and she insists on the revenge tour like that does anyone for anything.

This is actually a major point and i'm wondering if it will play out. I think he was selfishly posturing a bit there, big bad strong guy says I don't do what you do sort of thing, but, yea Joel is also a rat. Joel is a rat for his own self interest even. Not even considering what he maybe did for Tess.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

The "rats" are collaborators; not the fascists themselves, who he also doesn't work with beyond taking their money and giving them drugs, which ain't gonna' make 'em more effective.

At least that's how I interpreted things. I never played the games.

But it also doesn't matter because the entire point of that scene was that he was getting too high and mighty, and then softened later once he could lower his guard and had more of the story.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I'm very happy with the Nydus cluster eruption that I hoped would happen in KC, but at this point will probably be unresolved. At this point, i'm assuming we can all assume its gonna happen in KC too.

This is actually a major point and i'm wondering if it will play out. I think he was selfishly posturing a bit there, big bad strong guy says I don't do what you do sort of thing, but, yea Joel is also a rat. Joel is a rat for his own self interest even. Not even considering what he maybe did for Tess.

Who did Joel rat out?

The other guy gave over the leader of the entire resistance, Joel traded some pills and no one got hurt, are you suggesting that’s the same thing?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Oh cool, cheers, that makes more sense. I could have sworn they were tearing them off. I’ve never seen a thing like that and my computer was a few ft away.

It's called a magic slate, it's basically a sheet of cellophane over a chunk of waxy plastic with a hard plastic stylus. I had one when I was a little kid in the 80's, and they'd been around for a while by then.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I guess I'm just assuming, in the 20+ years making it as Joel, the dad with the dead kid, a posturing alcoholic, scrapping together what he can with connections to the underworld (as displayed) that at some point, somewhere, he gave someone up. Maybe i'm wrong, just my feeling with his character. And that ties into how he feels about his new friends. He gets what he is doing (btw is it ever explained if they are father/son, brother/brother, cousin/cousin, what?). Joel would for sure sell out anyone to protect Tess and maybe, one day, Ellie. Just my feeling with him I guess.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ShowTime posted:

I guess I'm just assuming, in the 20+ years making it as Joel, the dad with the dead kid, a posturing alcoholic, scrapping together what he can with connections to the underworld (as displayed) that at some point, somewhere, he gave someone up. Maybe i'm wrong, just my feeling with his character. And that ties into how he feels about his new friends. He gets what he is doing (btw is it ever explained if they are father/son, brother/brother, cousin/cousin, what?). Joel would for sure sell out anyone to protect Tess and maybe, one day, Ellie. Just my feeling with him I guess.

Henry and Sam are brothers.

I don't get the sense that Joel has ever ratted someone out, certainly not in any of the recent events of the show. Smugglers like Tess and Bill and Frank wouldn't trust him if they knew that he had.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, I think its a grey area. He is giving stuff to have agents look the other way and the agents get stuff to help them do their job of controlling the QZ. There is a bit of rum, molasses, slaves element to it.

then again, it seems like Boston FEDRA was better than KC FEDRA?

It's not a grey area at all, a "rat" is someone who informs on other members of their group to the cops, not just anyone who has dealings with the cops. Street gangs/the mob are notorious for having dealings with crooked cops, that's not being a rat that's part of what they do.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 12, 2023

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's little details that most people miss, like keeping her finger along the slide instead of on/in/near the trigger or trigger guard. People need to be taught that, because prior to holding a real gun for the first time, most people's only exposure are toys.

a lot of peoples main exposure to guns is TV/movies, and that fucks up court cases because sometimes jurors don't process the realities of guns and bullets, like how somebody shooting somebody in the legs on purpose isn't less of a murder attempt or that "warning shots" are not really a thing. Also because of TV they have a higher expectation for perfect evidence, things like whole bullets with those barrel lines that match perfectly, or fingerprints and DNA from everything at the (perfectly preserved and documented) crime scene.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Some of you do not know what a rat is

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Some of you do not know what a rat is

speaking of which the sniper was the old guy who never came back with food and thats why he made joel kill him right? i finished the episode later on so i kinda forgot exactly what he was wearing and looked like

Tumble fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 12, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Again, though, the entire point of that scene is that he was wrong and he would learn his lesson in that same episode.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tumble posted:

speaking of which the sniper was the old guy who never came back with food, right and thats why he had joel kill him right?\? i finished the episode later on so i kinda forgot exactly what he was wearing and looked like

yeah, we didn't see a body when kathleen allegedly executed him so i think it was a 7 dimensional fakeout. the doctor sniper was a triple agent all along

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

speaking of which the sniper was the old guy who never came back with food and thats why he made joel kill him right? i finished the episode later on so i kinda forgot exactly what he was wearing and looked like

All old white guys look the same.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

When the old white guy that was with Henry & Sam disappeared I racked my brain to which prisoner cracked and ratted out their location. Was it him? I couldn't remember. Fuzzy white male's all I had.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
lmao i just got why they aired this episode on friday rather than sunday

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

f#a# posted:

lmao i just got why they aired this episode on friday rather than sunday

because sunday is the sabbath :ghost:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sam and Henry’s attic was found by people that were told to do sweeps of the city after the younger guy informed that they’re still in the city center. The old doctor was executed. The sniper is some other random dude who was stationed as a lookout.

They’re all different actors.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bugblatter posted:

Sam and Henry’s attic was found by people that were told to do sweeps of the city after the younger guy informed that they’re still in the city center. The old doctor was executed. The sniper is some other random dude who was stationed as a lookout.

Look just because that’s exactly what happened in the show hasn’t stopped anyone.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Tumble posted:

No, the guy who never came back with food was the Doctor, Edelstein(?). The old sniper was just an old guy and

PODCAST SPOILER He had just seen some poo poo and was tired of life in the apocalypse so he committed suicide by Joel.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kathleen made some very good points about Henry’s outrageously short sighted selfishness, and the actor knocked it out the park.

Also I thought the sniper guy looked like the guy with Henry and Sam in the attic so was confused for a second

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

In case you missed it, the old sniper had a cellphone and was diligently reading this thread, which explains his actions perfectly.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The old sniper was a poo poo shot, and he also didn't have a spotter so he was very easily crept up on.

He's no Tommy.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Remember the old guy who lived next door to Joel and Sarah? Turns out he actually made it out alive, became a doctor in KC, only to be killed by his old neighbor, Joel, while sniping from a window. Talk about small world!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

The old sniper was a poo poo shot, and he also didn't have a spotter so he was very easily crept up on.

He's no Tommy.

I mean, its also dark outside. People tend to forget how dark things get when there are no artificial lights. We're able to see because the scenes would look like poo poo if we couldn't see anything.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

it was the brown jacket and white hair that threw me off, henry told the other old white guy about the tunnel so i figured they made him go up there and wait or something

Tumble fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 12, 2023

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Speaking of jackets have we talked about how you too could own the iconic Joel’s Jacket?

It’s this one

https://huckberry.com/store/flint-and-tinder/category/p/55166-flannel-lined-waxed-trucker-jacket

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's pretty cool, but $300 is too steep for me.

I bought Ellie's t-shirt off of Aliexpress. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't speak to the quality.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...randl_shipto=US
Pick the dark red.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

He's no Tommy.

I think he was really just supressing them while backup arrived. Almost worked too if Joel didn't take the initiative.

I mean, in the end he did his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Kathleen made some very good points about Henry’s outrageously short sighted selfishness, and the actor knocked it out the park.

Also I thought the sniper guy looked like the guy with Henry and Sam in the attic so was confused for a second

Melanie Lynskey is indeed a great actress, but you really thought "how dare you do anything to save your brother's life, unlike I, an implicitly perfectly rational person who would surely make the coldly logical decision for the greater good if our places had been reversed" is a very good point? Not only was she being a massive hypocrite about their respective brothers but was also putting far more people in danger, as the episodes bore out.