Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

well we found out what happens when two balloons show up at the same time. we can only do one of them per day

They've bested our one balloon yes
but now you will see my secret, forbidden technique

two balloons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Xenos have already had a huge positive effect on humanity .

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Which xfiles should I watch tonight

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

No matter what happens ultimately its funny that we got a trial run for first contact and the reaction was "shoot anything and everything" like the bad universe star trek

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

That lovely one William Gibson wrote

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

No matter what happens ultimately its funny that we got a trial run for first contact and the reaction was "shoot anything and everything" like the bad universe star trek

U-S-A U-S-A

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

They should go full George Kennan, hit the 3 crucial industrialized areas first (East Asia, North America, Europe).

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

there's one in my house

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

you thinking of the Wilson/Davis memo?

Yes! Thank you

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

THREAD'S CLOGGED
big ol car sized alien dooky pellets folks, best case scenario

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In this universe the vulcans don't even get the luxury of getting shot in the chest by some yokel with a sawn off shotgun, their ship gets swatted down as soon as entering the atmosphere

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

It's quaint. There is virtually no way that even well intending xenos could ever have a benevolent effect on humanity, and a serious risk that the xeno has interests at odds with us whether it is intelligent or not.

A best case xenobiology scenario would be if it were a harmless migratory space worm colony or some poo poo. If it's anything else we should be like the sentinelese

But what if, hear me out here: they aren't pieces of poo poo like us and our history is not a guide

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

THREAD'S CLOGGED
Because humans would have the right to develop without being intervened upon forever taken from them by any willful contact

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the aliens are here to congratulate us for meeting the prerequisite for joining the galactic economy: the invention of bitcoin, the galactic currency standard

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sometimes youll see ants fighting over a cigarette butt

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Jazerus posted:

the aliens are here to congratulate us for meeting the prerequisite for joining the galactic economy: the invention of bitcoin, the galactic currency standard

Theyre energy credits, credits created with lots of energy!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

well we found out what happens when two balloons show up at the same time. we can only do one of them per day

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Because humans would have the right to develop without being intervened upon forever taken from them by any willful contact

Lol we have the right to develop our way right into extinction

Gtfo with that liberal bullshit

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

isaboo posted:

if they're leaving it until morning, why has the airspace been reopened?

the economy, probably

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Just got off the phone with dollar general. I'm thinking with 10, maybe 15 dollars we can run the states clean out of missiles

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

The one about the aliens

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

the one where the techno-city goes on a rampage

or the werewolf pizza kid

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I really really thought I had posted this exact same thing in the thread earlier today, but it looks like I only texted it to a friend 4 hours before the Washington Post posted that article. I figured that was what had happened.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/NStewCBS2/status/1624587476982439945

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I really really thought I had posted this exact same thing in the thread earlier today, but it looks like I only texted it to a friend 4 hours before the Washington Post posted that article. I figured that was what had happened.

"If UFOS were real we'd be seeing them all the time"

Hey uh, Ted
Why is this box checked that says "filter out UFOs"

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

"slightly different in profile" to a Volkswagen Beetle ??

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Slavvy posted:

Lol we have the right to develop our way right into extinction

Gtfo with that liberal bullshit

:emptyquote:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Are we still allowed to call them birds or do we have to switch to balloons now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the absolute gently caress is going on

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

"If UFOS were real we'd be seeing them all the time"

Hey uh, Ted
Why is this box checked that says "filter out UFOs"

Lol they didn't want to know

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Reminder that a weird green comet showed up out of nowhere, came within 26m miles a few days ago, and is currently on a path out of the solar system (maybe forever)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

So at this point the most generous reading that isn't ufos is China has been exploiting a weakness in our air defense system for basically as long as they've started caring about spying on us and we only now just caught it, lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Was it a Jetta or a rabbit then?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Marx Headroom posted:

Reminder that a weird green comet showed up out of nowhere, came within 26m miles a few days ago, and is currently on a path out of the solar system (maybe forever)

ah yeah

that's the stuff

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I would like to not live in this Capitalist hell on a dying planet we're actively murdering. Where are my rights???

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Marx Headroom posted:

Concerning

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

So at this point the most generous reading that isn't ufos is China has been exploiting a weakness in our air defense system for basically as long as they've started caring about spying on us and we only now just caught it, lmao

And if we were missing something as simple as balloons we've been missing all kinds of poo poo for who knows how long

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Celexi posted:

Concerning

Somber.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

they’re being described as the “Ford Pinto of the sky”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008