Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean why else would managers be leaving? Other than their horribly poor work ethic. 😁

Got an email from my manager today, stating that there's been a handful of preventable accidents across our Network since the news of the massive downsizing happened last week. Gee I wonder why people are so distracted lately. And of course he ends this chipper email with the reminder that it takes the same energy to worry as it does to be positive so think positive and positive things happen.

At this point I'm pretty positive he's just worried one of the cut people is going to go into his office armed. I wonder if that's always been the case or just in recent years that's become such a prevalent thought. I'm still trying to figure out why they told everyone almost 2 months in advance. Don't most companies, if they're going to do a massive downsize, want to get people out the door ASAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean why else would managers be leaving? Other than their horribly poor work ethic. 😁

Got an email from my manager today, stating that there's been a handful of preventable accidents across our Network since the news of the massive downsizing happened last week. Gee I wonder why people are so distracted lately. And of course he ends this chipper email with the reminder that it takes the same energy to worry as it does to be positive so think positive and positive things happen.

At this point I'm pretty positive he's just worried one of the cut people is going to go into his office armed. I wonder if that's always been the case or just in recent years that's become such a prevalent thought. I'm still trying to figure out why they told everyone almost 2 months in advance. Don't most companies, if they're going to do a massive downsize, want to get people out the door ASAP?

Turns out there are federal regulations about layoffs, you have to give 2 months notice. Look up the WARN act.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or give 2 months' severance, but hey guess what will never ever happen in the retail industry or anything adjacent to it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Work told me my first week back I'd be working Tuesday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday then they phoned me asking if I knew I was scheduled today. Nope idiots you didn't tell me and while I don't have plans I am telling you I do.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yup, gently caress that, I somewhat vehemently told work no when they called me on my last day off.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

It’s very funny bc the big wigs are going on this big thing about how area supervisors are leaving in droves clearly because the scheduling is bad and no other reason. Which definitely explains why they can’t keep asms or store managers either.

poo poo our last DM got fired because it uh turned out he was absolutely awful at his job (and possibly something else IIRC) We can't keep anybody; our LP head was actually calling managers who'd quit begging them to come back-they declined.
(Scheduling is also absolute poo poo though.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If a store or district manager gets abruptly fired it is either because they were caught stealing money or they were caught loving a minor, 99.9% of the time.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

The solution to area supervisors getting screwed over with scheduling is for dms to look over the manager schedule.

Oh they were supposed to be doing that anyways? Well we mentioned it now so now things are fixed.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

The solution to area supervisors getting screwed over with scheduling is for dms to look over the manager schedule.

Oh they were supposed to be doing that anyways? Well we mentioned it now so now things are fixed.

I mean, at one point, our store had an AS working at most 15 hours a week yet still keeping his AS title.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If a store or district manager gets abruptly fired it is either because they were caught stealing money or they were caught loving a minor, 99.9% of the time.

Or not showing up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eric the Mauve posted:

In trouble for something that's either under 20 or over 20 then?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

dovetaile posted:

I mean, at one point, our store had an AS working at most 15 hours a week yet still keeping his AS title.

We actually have that because asm got another job because she can’t get her bonus if she steps down. I don’t particularly mind since she’s covering closes I don’t wanna do

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the Super Nanny is here and there's a crying baby. I'm waiting to see what she does.

e: she made a face and the baby stopped crying :shrug:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 9, 2023

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

So. In our meat dept we have a back room where we chill. We hang pictures and positive comments that staff have received from customers. My manager tore all the pictures down (long rear end story). Tonight while emptying the trash I found a comment card that complimented me and a guy. It was torn into tiny squares. Deliberately and purposefully.
I'm gonna work with him tomorrow, and then off to HR Monday. lmfao this is literally insane

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Boob Cop posted:

So. In our meat dept we have a back room where we chill. We hang pictures and positive comments that staff have received from customers. My manager tore all the pictures down (long rear end story).

Post it, we're not going anywhere. :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Some flavor of "You shouldn't need positive reinforcement and the beatings will continue until morale improves", if I had to guess.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

This, but also post it after things are resolved with HR.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So in my growing need to get the gently caress out of where I currently work, I've applied for a few places where pay is partially hourly and partially commission, does anyone here have experience with working by commission? Mostly in the sense that my mental image of places like that if that they're going to be full of super venomous, backstabby "alpha sigma omega rho tau grindset" assholes who try to steal commissions from each other rather than cooperating on making things work out for every employee and also the customers, and I wonder if that's a correct perception.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
It really, REALLY depends on management, as with most jobs. It’ll happen some everywhere you go, my best suggestion is to stick to smaller companies because the behaviors you describe tends to be more pervasive at large companies with the big fancy office buildings.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Agents are GO! posted:

I'll try and write it up soon, I've been super stressed.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

PurpleXVI posted:

So in my growing need to get the gently caress out of where I currently work, I've applied for a few places where pay is partially hourly and partially commission, does anyone here have experience with working by commission? Mostly in the sense that my mental image of places like that if that they're going to be full of super venomous, backstabby "alpha sigma omega rho tau grindset" assholes who try to steal commissions from each other rather than cooperating on making things work out for every employee and also the customers, and I wonder if that's a correct perception.

I work at a small business basically on mostly commission, i thought it was bad but its actually really chill and no one rly gives a gently caress if you leave early. We have a super generous return policy so being super salesy doesn't really work as well as you'd think.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah if you're getting into a really sales oriented environment you'll develop your own style based on your personality. Hard selling doesn't really work outside of like car dealerships or insurance and is often detrimental to long term customer retention. You need to have the view that you'd rather sell a little less but exactly what they're looking for so they'll spend thousands in the future over many small sales to build rapport rather than one or two giant ones where they're going to have buyers remorse and not shop with you again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Yeah, that's usually my style in my current sales environment, you treat people well and sell them what they need in the simplest and most elegant way, then they're happy and easy to deal with when they come back another time and now trust you with a more complex transaction, but, you know, expecting intelligent, long-term planning from sales leadership is pretty lmao.

Last year one of my managers was angry because I had talked with a customer about an expensive product, but hadn't gotten their contact info so we could harass them and pressure them into a sale. It's like, what the gently caress? Aside from it being wildly unethical and total rear end in a top hat behavior, it's also terrible for long-terms sales of any kind.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got that at the old job too if someone asked for something we didn’t have, take their details so we can tell them if we get something in. Except we never got any of that stuff in for months and by then anyone we took the number of had gone elsewhere for it.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Being one of the few remaining forklift drivers on nights may mean I end up doing a bunch of poo poo for other departments, but it also means that when my back and shoulders hurt, I can sit on a comfy seat and stack empty pallets without having to bend down and lift.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So yesterday a customer comes to the department while we're very busy, so a colleague from another dept bravely steps in to try and field his question.

This customer has received an email, explaining that when his delivery arrives with us, we will notify him. He is here to ask if when his package arrives with us, we will notify him. Once our colleague understands the question is as simple as it sounds, he confirms it.

The customer then waits for someone from the actual department, asks the same thing, gets the same answer.

He then goes to the info desk, asks the same thing, I get called over to answer, he gets the same answer.

He thanks me and tells me he'll be back in a couple of days to ask another colleague he's talked to before the same question, presumably needing to hear the exact same thing a fifth time to be really satisfied.

What the gently caress?

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Some people you can tell within two sentences of conversation that they're just incredibly thick and completely lack comprehension. These are the worst customers because you know you'll have to explain something 10 times and they still probably won't get it, and they're also liable to be assholes because they get frustrated by it and will probably think it's your fault they lack understanding.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Hell, same thing for coworkers, that’s why I always make sure to have *just* enough power at any given job cuz I can’t stand working with idiots

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Assuming I still have a delivery job in April, on my checkride today, my boss told me that since we are dropping today-sameday delivery, everything we do will be store to store deliveries. Okay I knew that. What I didn't know was that his manager emailed all the store managers and told them straight out if they don't input enough orders, drivers will lose their jobs.

Because there's no way the people whose orders we've been forced to not pick up or deliver because the sameday poo poo takes up 9 hours a day are going to forget that. Or the times they were told by dispatch their orders were not important compared to sameday. No one would ever be so petty to NOT increase their orders to make sure people can still work.

But other good news, I still have a job where they run us nonstop with sameday because the sameday customers don't KNOW we're closing down yet. Oh, and come April all the drivers might, we don't know, might might might it depends on everything else in the air, be all moved to one central location an hour from me.

But my manager spent most of the checkride trying to tell me not to think about it, and then trying to make smalltalk while I drove.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"There's a massive sword of Damocles hanging over you and your ability to provide for yourself and your loved ones, and there's precious little you can do about it. But don't think about it! :keke:"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"Now how about those Chiefs huh"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sunday night, snotty as all hell, I think my sinuses are acting up, but my usual rear end. Man is back and he's happy to put me back in my lazy job in the corner. Monday, sinuses still acting up, it's getting apparent this just isn't my usual allergies being hyperactive.

Took Tuesday off and it was clear at that point this wasn't my sinuses being their rear end in a top hat selves, I had Something, but since I work (and live) nights and I was feeling increasingly miserable by the time I could get my poo poo together everything was closed.

Thanks to the fact that I'm past the worst of whatever I had, I Went out to grab a COVID test today and I got a solid negative on that. Gonna grab another tomorrow when I'm out getting groceries just to be sure. Pissed at whatever it was for making me so miserable and burning time I could be saving to use later for non-sick personal nights.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

"Now how about those Chiefs huh"

He did ask if I watched the Superbowl.

I said no.

He asked if I was a sports fan.

I said no.

That was the entire conversation the second hour of the ride. Yeah I had the radio on super low for max awkwardness.

Bonus: he did not wear a mask despite me wearing one. And got a bit upset when I said I brought my lunch, because as a treat he likes to get lunch for every employee on a checkride. So we picked up some fast food to go, head to a park, and the rear end in a top hat keeps trying to sit by me to talk while he eats. I ended up not eating lunch and just went for a walk.

Other bonus, one of my dropoffs after the ride was at a tire place, and the manager there asked me if it was true, that we were closing down. I told him yes, and that lots of people were already off the roster.

"Oh, well, they're getting you other positions in the company, right?"

I looked him dead-on and repeated what my manager had told me, that in one city we had 60 drivers, and when our contract is up, there will be 2 left in that city. No, there aren't any other positions in that city.

I have never seen anyone backpedal so fast cause the dude might be an rear end in a top hat, but even he realized that that is something no person can sanely make fun of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Someone asked if our spicy chicken is a burger.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

My co-workers have promised me endless amounts of popeye's for jumping on this grenade

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Boob Cop posted:

My co-workers have promised me endless amounts of popeye's for jumping on this grenade

should have held out for culver's

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

We don't got culver's

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Boob Cop posted:

We don't got culver's

I'm sorry for you 😞

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

I can make really great fried chicken at home but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Assuming I still have a delivery job in April, on my checkride today, my boss told me that since we are dropping today-sameday delivery, everything we do will be store to store deliveries. Okay I knew that. What I didn't know was that his manager emailed all the store managers and told them straight out if they don't input enough orders, drivers will lose their jobs.

Because there's no way the people whose orders we've been forced to not pick up or deliver because the sameday poo poo takes up 9 hours a day are going to forget that. Or the times they were told by dispatch their orders were not important compared to sameday. No one would ever be so petty to NOT increase their orders to make sure people can still work.

But other good news, I still have a job where they run us nonstop with sameday because the sameday customers don't KNOW we're closing down yet. Oh, and come April all the drivers might, we don't know, might might might it depends on everything else in the air, be all moved to one central location an hour from me.

But my manager spent most of the checkride trying to tell me not to think about it, and then trying to make smalltalk while I drove.

Yep, you definitely work for the same company I do.

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I have a pickup that reads 22 items, 2 pounds each, 28x28x5. So probably single boxes. Easy peasy.

But it is not easy peasy. It is instead 6 laptop kit boxes about 10 pounds each, and 15 build-a-box kits, and 4 boxes that have about 15 boxes inside each, yet to be made. Ranging from 3 feet cube to about 5 feet long.

I fit about half the order in my van. The store employees won't tell me who input the order so wrong.

There were six other similar orders there for other stores. I can't wait to get them tomorrow.

So I can tell you why this happened... in the field where it has us put in the dimensions for multi-piece... we can only put in one set of dimensions (Length/Width/Height/Weight) :psyduck:

Personally, I just put in the dimensions of the largest piece and the weight of the heaviest.

And why they were having you move that much poo poo in your tiny van (driver based out of my store runs a Ford Transit) is beyond me, I've been told anything larger/heavier than a case of paper has to go through the CDL-required system. One of the stores by me closed at the end of last week and we got poo poo from them via not-sameday. Then again we're also in a large city in the Northeast US (you can probably guess which one by looking just to the left of this post) where sameday has actually been highly profitable. Love how megacorp's response has been "well it's not as profitable as we would like globally so lol killing it globally" instead of just dropping it where it isn't profitable.