Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Thanks. That sounds appealing, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This theme is so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXfFhdbgSU

Is this always been Ahri's theme? We never hear the theme in game, these themes are so drat good. The whole Riot Music department for their original tracks are so underrated.(not counting world songs).

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Ulio posted:

This theme is so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXfFhdbgSU

Is this always been Ahri's theme? We never hear the theme in game, these themes are so drat good. The whole Riot Music department for their original tracks are so underrated.(not counting world songs).

Hard agree. Riot music loving slaps.

World's is mostly imagine dragons though, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Imagine Dragons did one Worlds song, though it was repurposed for a season launch a few years ago. Also they did the Arcane theme. This year’s Worlds theme was Lil Nas X.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think the pop star ones were in-house, though using guest vocalists.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I honestly miss the logins with the individual themes and very slightly animated splash arts, there were a lot of really great themesongs for champs. There's so few that honestly miss the mark in terms of feeling appropriate for the champ/event

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Servaetes posted:

I honestly miss the logins with the individual themes and very slightly animated splash arts, there were a lot of really great themesongs for champs. There's so few that honestly miss the mark in terms of feeling appropriate for the champ/event

I miss them a lot, but I also understand why they were cut. Pouring the time and effort into a screen who 99% of people are trying to get through as fast as humanly possible ain't good business.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Duderclese posted:

Hard agree. Riot music loving slaps.

World's is mostly imagine dragons though, right?

The Star Guardian Taliyah music is all people from Dance Dance Revolution games and it slaps

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I reckon so, but they did something like the Amumu video for the hell of it and not for some monetary gain. I wasn't really bugged by lingering on the login screen a bit. Dunno why the mentality changed.

I know they do event music in client now but it doesn't feel the same, honestly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Servaetes posted:

Dunno why the mentality changed.

I think it was one of those cost-cutting measures they did out of necessity to make the balance sheet look better. From what I can tell, the last batch of regular animated login screens was in 2018, and that was the year where Tencent was reportedly tightening the screws hard due to Riot's internal financial management being a basket case.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

njsykora posted:

Imagine Dragons did one Worlds song, though it was repurposed for a season launch a few years ago. Also they did the Arcane theme. This year’s Worlds theme was Lil Nas X.

I saw the lil Nas X one love and loved it. Heck yeah!

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Vermain posted:

I think it was one of those cost-cutting measures they did out of necessity to make the balance sheet look better. From what I can tell, the last batch of regular animated login screens was in 2018, and that was the year where Tencent was reportedly tightening the screws hard due to Riot's internal financial management being a basket case.

Nah, it was just the switch to the new client. It's fairly trivial to make little animated screens in flash, but considerably more annoying to make them in js/css, especially when artists don't know either.

fun fact: all the animated splashes had to be reversible cuz the login panel for (Tencent or Garena I forget) was on the other side. :D

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

Nah, it was just the switch to the new client. It's fairly trivial to make little animated screens in flash, but considerably more annoying to make them in js/css, especially when artists don't know either.

fun fact: all the animated splashes had to be reversible cuz the login panel for (Tencent or Garena I forget) was on the other side. :D

Ahhh, that makes sense. I assumed it was cost-cutting since there were still occasional login screens post-2018, but trying to do those screens in CSS already sounds like a straight-up nightmare, so the drop is understandable.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i could do it easily but im built different

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Thanks. That sounds appealing, tbh
I'm pretty sure every MOBA's elevator pitch is "LoL but faster and easier". Has anyone ever shipped a MOBA that was pitched as longer, harder and more complicated than LoL?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm pretty sure every MOBA's elevator pitch is "LoL but faster and easier". Has anyone ever shipped a MOBA that was pitched as longer, harder and more complicated than LoL?

DotA effectively occupies 100% of the boomer MOBA market share, and I can't really see anything dislodging it from that. Kids like fast-paced games with high skill expression, especially in competitive environments.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s also always funny watching people who hold up Dota as the serious hardcore MOBA come to try League and struggle to grasp the basics. I always love them complaining about not being able to see the tower’s range in particular.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Vermain posted:

DotA effectively occupies 100% of the boomer MOBA market share, and I can't really see anything dislodging it from that. Kids like fast-paced games with high skill expression, especially in competitive environments.

As much as I love the way league works a lot of it's mechanics are probably not uh, "good" to put into a new game either. like I love wave manipulation but the whole idea of "intentionally dont farm minions in order to set yourself up for a way more esoteric benefit minutes down the road" is absurdly unintuitive and devs have rightfully concluded that it doesnt belong in their games

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tbf I've played nearly 14 years now and am constantly surprised by the tower hitting me

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I just let some other dolt take the turret hits while I secure the kill

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monicro posted:

As much as I love the way league works a lot of it's mechanics are probably not uh, "good" to put into a new game either. like I love wave manipulation but the whole idea of "intentionally dont farm minions in order to set yourself up for a way more esoteric benefit minutes down the road" is absurdly unintuitive and devs have rightfully concluded that it doesnt belong in their games

It's a tricky area, because being able to master relatively unintuitive systems in a competitive game is a genuinely compelling idea, and it's a great way to add in an element of knowledge that still allows average players to enjoy the game as-is while creating an identifiable barrier between them and top players. I think there's a sweet spot to be hit between "game plays itself while you deathmatch" and "pulling DotA2 creep camps past an invisible trigger at specific times to stack camps to farm", and I do think that League has mostly managed to get it right with what they've chosen to discard.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Monicro posted:

My pet peeve is that Riot doesn't think it's important if an ability resets the attack timer. Just note it on every ability that does it you jerks!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i saw a league of legends ring at the thrift store so i bought it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Tbf I've played nearly 14 years now and am constantly surprised by the tower hitting me

One day I will remember the range.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

verbal enema posted:

i saw a league of legends ring at the thrift store so i bought it

i saw a league of legends 12 pack of coke at the grocery store so i bought it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

13.4 full preview. Pretty big patch with some changes to experience gains on champion kill (presumably to help reduce snowballing leads), reduced gold for ranged supports to try and encourage a return of tank supports, and Alistar getting an extra 20% AP ratio on his full combo in case you wanted to relive the glory days of 3 AM season 1 AP Alistar.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

they should make tank supports fun if they want people to play them

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

give tanks a button that makes them t-pose. no gameplay effect pure intimidation factor

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I appreciate what they're trying to do with this patch -- I really do -- but at the moment what I'm seeing is "Veigar becomes even more oppressive on ARAM". Daddy chill

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

13.4 full preview. Pretty big patch with some changes to experience gains on champion kill (presumably to help reduce snowballing leads), reduced gold for ranged supports to try and encourage a return of tank supports, and Alistar getting an extra 20% AP ratio on his full combo in case you wanted to relive the glory days of 3 AM season 1 AP Alistar.

I've started to see Alistair solo lanes popping up, and I've heard it's showing up on the Korean server as well?

I don't think he's at the point where he can explode people as a full mage build, but it seems kind of promising to pair him solo lane with a carry jungler or something. I guess his wave clear would still be extremely bad though

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I've started to see Alistair solo lanes popping up, and I've heard it's showing up on the Korean server as well?

Showmaker's being trying it out mid, and TheShy (I think?) has been trialing it top as a specific counterpick to Jax, although Jax getting bonked in 13.4 might make that unnecessary. I think there's some merit in playing him with AP and Demonic ala, say, Galio, since his heal lets him survive in tough lanes, and his ult DR means he won't get instantly creamed when it comes time to teamfight with an AP build.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

:confused: was this something people were doing? is this some kind of degenerate combo with futures market to turbo one item?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

:confused: was this something people were doing? is this some kind of degenerate combo with futures market to turbo one item?

it was, hilariously, a yuumi-only trick to get an extra 210 gold for free

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I approve of more anti-Yuumi specific nerfs.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

Showmaker's being trying it out mid, and TheShy (I think?) has been trialing it top as a specific counterpick to Jax, although Jax getting bonked in 13.4 might make that unnecessary. I think there's some merit in playing him with AP and Demonic ala, say, Galio, since his heal lets him survive in tough lanes, and his ult DR means he won't get instantly creamed when it comes time to teamfight with an AP build.

He's probably the best setup you could get for ganks as well. I guess the question ultimately is what does he bring that's better than galio's global

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Weird Pumpkin posted:

He's probably the best setup you could get for ganks as well. I guess the question ultimately is what does he bring that's better than galio's global

Galio can be milked, Ali cannot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I guess the question ultimately is what does he bring that's better than galio's global

Less global pressure, but he has significantly better straight-up teamfighting, which might be fine in an era where splitpushing isn't especially strong. Galio's basic combo can't compare to Alistar's for pure engage potential, and all of Galio's DR is tied up in his W charge, so he's a one-and-done kinda champ if he goes AP and lacks teamfight sustainability if he can't disengage.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

el dingo posted:

Galio can be milked, Ali cannot

:hmmyes:

Vermain posted:

Less global pressure, but he has significantly better straight-up teamfighting, which might be fine in an era where splitpushing isn't especially strong. Galio's basic combo can't compare to Alistar's for pure engage potential, and all of Galio's DR is tied up in his W charge, so he's a one-and-done kinda champ if he goes AP and lacks teamfight sustainability if he can't disengage.

That's a super good point actually, I always forget that Galio isn't really all that tanky without his W, and Galio isn't really an initiator either. He's more like a secondary initiator where he ults in after the fight has started

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I'm on a heater this season, boys (though assholes have banned Illaoi 3 out of my last 4 games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress, and i cannot stess this enough, Illaoi

i hate her so goddamn much. i will never play her nor Kled those are champs for douchebags