Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Motto posted:

Going back a bit to Galleria, for anyone that's played it or Refrain, how unapproachable are they for someone who's dabbled but never gotten particularly deep into a DRPG before? I've heard a lot of interesting things about Galleria but even positive Refrain reviews put a lot of emphasis on it being for hardcore genre vets.

You literally auto-battle through 99% of Refrain, it actually costs a resource to issue commands. It's brainless outside of a handful of bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
been watching the eternal filena ova and now i kinda wanna play the super nintendo jrpg. this poo poo rules. shouldn't be shocked about it given the writer but it's nuts that the source material for filena began serialization in 1985 and has a pretty undeniably positive depiction of a lesbian relationship as the driving force of its plot, to the point that a good 1/4 of the ova is just filena spending time with her wife and they never really try and waive off the fact that they're both married women even when they're in private and no longer have a reason to hide filena being a woman

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 11, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

No one's talking about Yoko Taro's new mobile game "404 Game Re: Set", where you play in a universe dominated by evil SEGA (the company) and fight against them using the waifu personifications of SEGA's games?

https://www.eurogamer.net/sega-and-nier-developer-yoko-taro-announce-bizarre-404-game-reset-project

It's going to suck massive poo poo just like Sinoalice and Nier:R, op

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

every time a new gacha RPG with a Big Name Dev attached gets announced i remember Terra Battle and get a little mournful

that game had style. more games need character arcs that are just like "your FROGMAN is upgraded to CYBER-FROGMAN ¤! he is only 35% organic now, but he is much happier. he can devote himself to Love and Justice now. his girlfriend is the ghost of a human girl"

Ramie fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 11, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

No one's talking about Yoko Taro's new mobile game "404 Game Re: Set", where you play in a universe dominated by evil SEGA (the company) and fight against them using the waifu personifications of SEGA's games?

https://www.eurogamer.net/sega-and-nier-developer-yoko-taro-announce-bizarre-404-game-reset-project

Why is it always anime girls? Do omnipandering gacha games not do well??

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tired Moritz posted:

Why is it always anime girls? Do omnipandering gacha games not do well??

have you seen Genshin Impact OP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for some reason people think genshin impact is exclusively aimed at dudes even though like 90% of its fanbase is teen girls

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was gonna say, Gachas have been dragged into recognizing a marketable swath of the audience wants boys of <preference> to ogle. Im not sure the whole market has figured it out or if theres a pacing approach and you get guy wanters after you lock in lady wanters, but its there and you need a strategy for it or you're leaving thirsty money on the table.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im still in a dream, guy wanter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean tbh iunno if theyve been 'dragged' into it or its a recent development. idolmaster sidem was one of the first gacha games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean tbh iunno if theyve been 'dragged' into it or its a recent development. idolmaster sidem was one of the first gacha games

The ones I worked with it absolutely was a "we launched with an expectation->wait what the hell oh gently caress change the pipleine!!!" But its been years since I did anything with them so maybe theyre smarter now.

Edit: It is comical sometimes how poorly game companies understand or predict their audiences, but thats also not unique to them. Consumer food products were the flipping worst

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 11, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

have you seen Genshin Impact OP

I thought the horse girl game is the one with the most money

Though all the stories of whales seem to be from teen girls and I know Ensemble Stars is really popular for some reason

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

I thought it was a web browser game. PS: RIP sidemoba

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

The Colonel posted:

the guy who directed overblood 2, the sequel to a janky low budget survival horror game, that they decided to turn into an open world sci-fi anime ova-style epic, despite barely even having money for decent cg cutscenes or 3d models

lmao I did not know this. Overblood 2 was such a weird game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

Edit: It is comical sometimes how poorly game companies understand or predict their audiences, but thats also not unique to them.

Good thing that doesn't happen to much in this thread! Now to go and play some Blue Reflection

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really should play that at some point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blue reflection 1 is eh but second light owns

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BR1 has a much different tone that I can't put my words to good use with, but I did like that part about it as its own thing. It's definitely a much, much rougher game in general though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know I wrote Blue Reflection, but I meant Blue Reflection 2 so whoops.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Barudak posted:

The ones I worked with it absolutely was a "we launched with an expectation->wait what the hell oh gently caress change the pipleine!!!" But its been years since I did anything with them so maybe theyre smarter now.

Edit: It is comical sometimes how poorly game companies understand or predict their audiences, but thats also not unique to them. Consumer food products were the flipping worst

Reminds me of how the Arknights dub flipped so hard on giving the characters accents that they went from "ew, no, have them speak normal" to recording Italian characters in Italian, for the Chinese release.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They call it Deep Localization now.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Reminds me of how the Arknights dub flipped so hard on giving the characters accents that they went from "ew, no, have them speak normal" to recording Italian characters in Italian, for the Chinese release.
Do they also have a native Australian English writer on staff now?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The Colonel posted:

been watching the eternal filena ova and now i kinda wanna play the super nintendo jrpg. this poo poo rules. shouldn't be shocked about it given the writer but it's nuts that the source material for filena began serialization in 1985 and has a pretty undeniably positive depiction of a lesbian relationship as the driving force of its plot, to the point that a good 1/4 of the ova is just filena spending time with her wife and they never really try and waive off the fact that they're both married women even when they're in private and no longer have a reason to hide filena being a woman

Eternal Filena the SNES JRPG isn't perfect, but it has it's moments. Filena and Lila's relationship doesn't really get acknowledged too deeply in it from what I recall, but it's there. It's, honestly no surprise it never got localized, but that's just how unafraid the writer was.

I also somehow entirely forgot it existed outside of the game. I should really check out the OVA or novels at some point. Filena, does in fact, rule.

BR1 should be arriving today/ It's proven harder than it needed to be to get a copy of it, but if BR2 was that good, I need to see how it all started. I realize that even the head staff are different between the games, the only mainstay being the artist, but I don't mind a rougher cut experience every so often. Most of what I play tends to be overambitious but underfunded anyways.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you ever unlock anything in Persona 3 that makes all your personas get exp instead of just the one equipped?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you ever unlock anything in Persona 3 that makes all your personas get exp instead of just the one equipped?

Only through the Growth skill, and I'm not 100% sure it's in Persona 3. There's nothing that will universally give xp to personas not in battle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Odd Wilson posted:

Eternal Filena the SNES JRPG isn't perfect, but it has it's moments. Filena and Lila's relationship doesn't really get acknowledged too deeply in it from what I recall, but it's there. It's, honestly no surprise it never got localized, but that's just how unafraid the writer was.

I also somehow entirely forgot it existed outside of the game. I should really check out the OVA or novels at some point. Filena, does in fact, rule.

i think sadly the ova might be an incomplete adaptation since it's about six episodes long and four episodes in it's only just getting to the end of her time as a gladiator, so i'd like to read the novel at some point later to see what the full original story was.

the ova does have this part though

https://files.catbox.moe/2449f4.mp4

the ova also really likes ending fight scenes with peoples' heads getting cut off and blood spurting out

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 11, 2023

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
TIL that Eternal Filena wasn't just a one-off game and had source material. I read the LP ages ago and enjoyed it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The Colonel posted:

i think sadly the ova might be an incomplete adaptation since it's about six episodes long and four episodes in it's only just getting to the end of her time as a gladiator, so i'd like to read the novel at some point later to see what the full original story was.

the ova also really likes ending fight scenes with peoples' heads getting cut off and blood spurting out

The gladiator part is only like the first hour or so of the game, so there's that. I'd say it's in the 20 - 30 hour range, I think. The game also doesn't feature any beheading, but I feel like they would've if they could've. The combat's pretty alright though.

I don't think this happens in the game, if it did, I think I'd remember it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm also a fan of the part of the ova where a guy mentions the ocean, filena whispers "ocean!?" and the camera starts doing this around her for no reason

https://files.catbox.moe/oelfk2.mp4

i think the biggest thing about the ova is that having more visual freedom means it can show how everyone in the setting really is just like. using regular cars. they have regular buses. they use crt screens and computers. circular chainsaws are a real gladiatorial weapon and also they have regular rear end grenades. at one point a darth vader lookalike murders a guy's wife with a laser cannon

also love that the opening of the ova is a flashback to filena's parents telling the empire invaders "you will never kill the ocean" with a giant flat screen tv showing a looping animation of the ocean as a backdrop. and then the ocean bursts out of the flat screen tv and kills everyone in the room. it's not like a giant water tank or anything, they show the back of the screen, it is literally just a screen with nothing behind it, the ocean just magically bursts through it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 11, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So is the ocean like the villain or something

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

KariOhki posted:

TIL that Eternal Filena wasn't just a one-off game and had source material. I read the LP ages ago and enjoyed it.

the original lns were written by the guy who wrote all the weirdest poo poo in the first season of pokemon including the first couple movies. he's half of the reason mewtwo is written like he's the phantom of the opera, and also the reason lugia exists.

Electric Phantasm posted:

So is the ocean like the villain or something

it's her birthplace

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually does the game keep the part where filena is forced to kill a guy and then his wife rushes at her in the middle of the arena to shout "i'll avenge him! i'll never give up until you're dead! and if i can't do it... this child will!!!" and then she shows filena her infant child.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The Colonel posted:

actually does the game keep the part where filena is forced to kill a guy and then his wife rushes at her in the middle of the arena to shout "i'll avenge him! i'll never give up until you're dead! and if i can't do it... this child will!!!" and then she shows filena her infant child.

Something pretty similar happens, yeah

Just wait until what happens next, it gets crazier

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 11, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

spending tens of thousands on Yoko Taro's new Sega gacha until I unlock all the Total War franchise babes

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tired Moritz posted:

Why is it always anime girls?

Not always. Twisted Wonderland is a gacha by Disney that reimagines classic disney villains as hot anime boys.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think i officially hosed up my party forever in wild arms 2 cause i didnt really put points into hp up until pretty late into disc 1 so every boss started dealing way too much damage and one shotting everyone. thankfully duckstation has a built-in memory manager so i figured out how to look at the game's code and edit everyone to have slightly more manageable hp caps, without this my only options would've been to use some cheats that grant ashley invincibility because for some reason every other cheat for wild arms 2 is broken

that actually gave me the idea to try using this to mess with my units in summon night 1 and make them viable for anything but i think summon night 1's ways of hiding its numbers must be way weirder, can't figure any of them out. this game's eternal battle to keep me from being able to play it without spending 200 hours grinding so that enemies don't deal like 100 damage per hit

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 12, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2023/02/english-translation-demo-of-shiren.html?m=1

Oh cool

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can also mess up your arms as well, in wild arms 2 given how the upgrades work. IIRC i had a character whose arms were effectively dead weight for reasons I don't remember. I think it was accuracy so they like only hit 1/2 the time, had only one shot per clip, and dealt like only 30% more damage on hit while somebody else had 7 bullets and 100% accuracy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

You can also mess up your arms as well, in wild arms 2 given how the upgrades work. IIRC i had a character whose arms were effectively dead weight for reasons I don't remember. I think it was accuracy so they like only hit 1/2 the time, had only one shot per clip, and dealt like only 30% more damage on hit while somebody else had 7 bullets and 100% accuracy.

yeah brad gets an arm that starts at a base damage of 100 but it only has 1 shot and 50% base accuracy. every other arm has 80% base accuracy usually which is enough to be worth leaving alone while prioritizing damage and ammo. i think the idea with brad's is that it costs 99fp to fire so you'll use lock on shot anyway, but arms in 2 in general are pretty poorly balanced with some clear winners and clear losers, like there's not much reason to use things other than the attack you've leveled up to have high damage and high ammo capacity + an upgraded aoe. wild arms 2's ideas aren't awful but it's a pretty rough execution of them and it explains a lot of why wild arms 3 completely revamped all of it so you can't gently caress up your party members and arms just serve as a basic attack boost with flat overall stats you're allowed to respec at any time

honestly it's a little odd that wild arms 1 was the one that got a full remake. it's a bit low budget even for its era but it's generally not a hard game to get through. wild arms 2 needs one way more, it's more visibly limited by its budget and a whole lot of other problems, working some of 3's improvements and generally better ability at conveying big setpieces and character animation back into it could benefit it a lot

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
A remake of Wild ARMS 2 would be so welcome, as long as it's not, well, Alter Code F 2.