Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Thundercracker posted:

I think he was really just supressing them while backup arrived. Almost worked too if Joel didn't take the initiative.

I mean, in the end he did his job.

After Joel shoots him, he picks up his radio. You hear Kathleen say, "Hold them where they are. We are almost there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xiahou Dun posted:

For the record, I wasn't actually a fan of the bloater.

Yeah, I loved the episode (particularly everything after the big "action" climax) but that one bit in particular just felt a bit much to me, which is a silly reaction perhaps but I'm hoping we don't see one again anytime soon.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The slow mo gave me lotr flashbacks and then I saw weta in the credits. Really makes you think.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
ep 5 had a big quality drop-off from 4. lol at melanie lynskey's insane anime villain monologue about fate... i feel bad for the actors having to deal with this show's dialogue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Oh cool, cheers, that makes more sense. I could have sworn they were tearing them off. I’ve never seen a thing like that and my computer was a few ft away.

It makes that sound when they lift the sheet to erase it. Acetate is very crinkly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtsP5KzS2w&t=44s

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

For a second I did think Joel was going to snipe her mid villain speech.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Melanie Lynskey is indeed a great actress, but you really thought "how dare you do anything to save your brother's life, unlike I, an implicitly perfectly rational person who would surely make the coldly logical decision for the greater good if our places had been reversed" is a very good point? Not only was she being a massive hypocrite about their respective brothers but was also putting far more people in danger, as the episodes bore out.

Kids die. All the time.

He didn’t just “do anything”, he sold out the universally beloved and admired leader of the resistance. In a world where people have an extremely low chance of survival already. At least he was honest with himself about It.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Teared up at the end of the episode which is HARD for me to do. Loving this show.

Also, I gotta say, the opening scene was intense with the uprising violence going on. Haven't seen anything like that before. Admittedly I'm a wimp when watching shows so I probably self-select out of similar scenes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The actor who played Henry did such a great job in the immediate aftermath of shooting Sam, the way he couldn't take his eyes off the blood, the barely contained panic and horror as he kept repeating,"What did I do? What did I do?" and you could see exactly what was coming and ahhh man, episode was great.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That made me cry.

Why didn't they just run when they had fifty chances, script writer!!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jerusalem posted:

The actor who played Henry did such a great job in the immediate aftermath of shooting Sam, the way he couldn't take his eyes off the blood, the barely contained panic and horror as he kept repeating,"What did I do? What did I do?" and you could see exactly what was coming and ahhh man, episode was great.

Yeah right after I got done with the emotional reaction to that, my next thought was that dude has a really good bit for a demo reel if that cuts right.

Hell of a performance.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

zelah posted:

The slow mo gave me lotr flashbacks and then I saw weta in the credits. Really makes you think.

Between Weta and Melanie Lynskey last night I had to do a Heavenly Creatures rewatch today.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
While I like how much they do practical effects, one of the downsides is that even when acting as clicker or runner as possible, they all just look like guys in suits. Like you could overpower them 1v1 with a fire axe or something.

You can't really express how loving dangerous a clicker is, because in-game they have a loving insta kill grab attack that activates at close range. You'd think you've stunned them, but no they suddenly activate their hyperarmor and Joel is grabbed and killed. The constant deaths and reloads tells you they're scary, not just that they're just some guy in a suit.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

While I like how much they do practical effects, one of the downsides is that even when acting as clicker or runner as possible, they all just look like guys in suits. Like you could overpower them 1v1 with a fire axe or something.

You can't really express how loving dangerous a clicker is, because in-game they have a loving insta kill grab attack that activates at close range. You'd think you've stunned them, but no they suddenly activate their hyperarmor and Joel is grabbed and killed. The constant deaths and reloads tells you they're scary, not just that they're just some guy in a suit.

In the same vein the big boomer guy seemed ridiculous and out of place. With all the zombies being guys in suits the special upgraded zombie seemed like it belonged in a different type of show. If every zombie was CGI and as ridiculous as the big guy and did as huge of kills the danger of them would be much more effective.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Excellent episode again. Felt a little weepy at the ending.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ballz posted:

Between Weta and Melanie Lynskey last night I had to do a Heavenly Creatures rewatch today.

God dang I do love Heavenly Creatures. I saw it way back in the 90’s, and when I heard Peter Jackson was doing LOTR I knew it was going to be great.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 12, 2023

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

Doltos posted:

In the same vein the big boomer guy seemed ridiculous and out of place. With all the zombies being guys in suits the special upgraded zombie seemed like it belonged in a different type of show. If every zombie was CGI and as ridiculous as the big guy and did as huge of kills the danger of them would be much more effective.

The special upgraded zombie was a guy in a suit too I think.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Maxy Boy posted:

The special upgraded zombie was a guy in a suit too I think.

https://variety.com/2023/artisans/features/the-last-of-us-bloater-makeup-1235518138/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
hey guys, these zombies are not realistic zombies at all and furthermore

:lol:

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
The main problem with the big zombie man is that it just looked kind of dumb.

Like when it appeared on the screen I said, "That's dumb."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think this show was the first American series I've seen (outside of actual World War II stuff like Band of Brothers) to use the word "fascist" and I think in an American context (I'm not American) that appears to have lost a lot of meaning.

Maybe it would make more sense if we'd seen FEDRA do anything in Boston or KC that was explicitly fascist, as opposed to generically Grimdark Dystopian. They're not exalting a leader or whipping up nationalistic fervour or - given that we see amputees waiting around for food stamps in Boston - killing "undesirables." They're just doing grim-but-necessary poo poo which on a personal level the show is quite happy to present and refrain from judging (like every other post-apoc piece of fiction) as something which is just what you have to do to survive.

You can argue it's just semantics which is maybe fair enough, but it feels very weird to me for the show to have two black guys and a Jew literally hiding in an attic, but for being collaborators, and the point the show seems to be making is that actually both sides are bad...?

I dunno. Generally a good episode but it further underlined for me that Druckmann and I guess Mazin are very good at writing personal character-level stuff, and very bad at writing broader society-level stuff.

edit - oh, and another thing that bothers me about using the word fascist is that in real life, fascism makes up bullshit strawman threats, whether that's Jews, Woke Liberals, whatever. Whereas in the world of the Last of Us, 99% of the human race has been exterminated and there are actual terrifying fungus monsters clawing their way out of the earth to literally rip your head off. Doesn't really work as an allegory!

freebooter fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 12, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

edit - oh, and another thing that bothers me about using the word fascist is that in real life, fascism makes up bullshit strawman threats, whether that's Jews, Woke Liberals, whatever. Whereas in the world of the Last of Us, 99% of the human race has been exterminated and there are actual terrifying fungus monsters clawing their way out of the earth to literally rip your head off. Doesn't really work as an allegory!

Fascists sometimes use genuine threats as a pretext for their draconian acts.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I really enjoyed this ep and the series so far, but yeah there were a few annoying cliches. Maybe it’s just impossible to avoid them?

I think at least twice now there’s been a big fight scene and then the protagonists are safe once they get 50m away. It happened after Tess died too.

Like maybe the big bloater dude and/or crazy soccer mom chase them across the old bridge out of town but the bridge collapses.

But yeah it’s a tv show about zombies I’m happy! Kids die all the time Henry!

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 12, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Rox posted:

I really enjoyed this ep and the series so far, but yeah there were a few annoying cliches. Maybe it’s just impossible to avoid them?

I think at least twice now there’s been a big fight scene and then the protagonists are safe once they get 50m away. It happened after Tess died too.

Like maybe the big bloater dude and/or crazy soccer mom chase them across the old bridge out of town but the bridge collapses.

But yeah it’s a tv show about zombies I’m happy! Kids die all the time Henry!

You see the horde head for the city - which makes sense since it'll be the loudest, biggest place nearby. Four people running the other way probably wouldn't really register to them in all the chaos.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Fascists sometimes use genuine threats as a pretext for their draconian acts.

The actually interesting point a TV show could make about this - as opposed to having the characters traipse through the dusty ruins of the Revolutionary War Museum in Boston - is that in a situation that bad, 99%+ of the populace are not going to give a gently caress about nebulous notions of "freedom" as long as the men with guns are stopping the fungus monsters from ripping their children's faces off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I disagree.

When the danger is out of sight, as it has been for many years for the residents of the Kansas City Quarantine Zone, people will question the need for public safety measures. Sinister characters may take advantage of this situation to empower themselves and further their own selfish interests.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Platystemon posted:

I disagree.

When the danger is out of sight, as it has been for many years for the residents of the Kansas City Quarantine Zone, people will question the need for public safety measures. Sinister characters may take advantage of this situation to empower themselves and further their own selfish interests.

it also takes constant vigilance and discipline to prevent groups of people with weapons from devolving into being extremely lovely. people don't even have to be that sinister to fall in with the group of people who are obviously the ones who run poo poo, especially when the other options are lovely as well

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

they definitely should have gotten a few close-up, graphic gore shots of people being torn apart to drive home how bad it can get, i think

Tumble fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 12, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

freebooter posted:

Maybe it would make more sense if we'd seen FEDRA do anything in Boston or KC that was explicitly fascist, as opposed to generically Grimdark Dystopian. They're not exalting a leader or whipping up nationalistic fervour or - given that we see amputees waiting around for food stamps in Boston - killing "undesirables." They're just doing grim-but-necessary poo poo which on a personal level the show is quite happy to present and refrain from judging (like every other post-apoc piece of fiction) as something which is just what you have to do to survive.

Henry explicitly says that FEDRA in KC was torturing and raping people. The reason people revolted was that they were going beyond grim-but-necessary poo poo and starting to take advantage of their power.
I would also argue that publicly executing people is also going beyond grim-but-necessary poo poo.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I disagree.

I think that's an objectively true point, but KC (and Boston) aren't portrayed as being surface-level utopias with electricity, medical care, and generally easy living. They're shitholes - the specific danger might be out of sight, but life still sucks, yet people living in them still choose them over the wilderness outside, presumably because most of them remember what it's like out there from the early years of the infection.

Alhazred posted:

Henry explicitly says that FEDRA in KC was torturing and raping people. The reason people revolted was that they were going beyond grim-but-necessary poo poo and starting to take advantage of their power.
I would also argue that publicly executing people is also going beyond grim-but-necessary poo poo.

We only have Henry's word on that. And we never see anything of FEDRA in KC - all we see is actual FEDRA getting horrifically brutalised on the night of the uprising. I'm not saying "FEDRA are perfect angels," I'm saying "there are better ways of telling this story if this is the point you're trying to make."

As I said before, I think Druckmann is much better at telling individual stories than society stories. What made the game work is the dynamic between Joel and Ellie, not ham-fisted aesthetics copy-pasted from Nazi Germany by way of Half-Life 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

freebooter posted:

We only have Henry's word on that. And we never see anything of FEDRA in KC - all we see is actual FEDRA getting horrifically brutalised on the night of the uprising. I'm not saying "FEDRA are perfect angels," I'm saying "there are better ways of telling this story if this is the point you're trying to make."

First of all there's no reason for us to assume that Henry is lying. He's honest throughout the episode, even about things that would make him look bad. Second, Joel support his claim by saying that he had heard that that KC FEDRA was especially bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of the big things also appears to be - only really referenced in passing a few times - that for whatever reason, FEDRA are the only ones who have access to the facilities that still produce ammo and (arguably more importantly) medicine. It was the big catalyst behind Henry's collaboration, FEDRA could get him medication to stop his little brother dying of a horrible disease, and they were the ONLY ones who could do that. I can see the appeal for people not to run the risk of living out in the middle of nowhere where you're free but also subject both to raiders, infected AND the risk of disease or injury that you can't heal, especially if they have family, ESPECIALLY if that family (or friends) are ill or injured. In return, FEDRA wants you to work, and they might be lovely jobs, but you're (relatively) safe.

FEDRA also isn't a monolithic entity either. The Boston QZ doesn't appear to have been been AS bad as living in the Kansas City QZ was. Not to say Boston's FEDRA are good guys, there is a reason the Fireflies are operating in the city after all, and why people like Joel and Tess were willing to risk life and limb for their smuggling operations or have customers for said operation. But it seems Kansas City went flying right past even the semblance of a line straight into being outright abusers who thought they could keep the people of the city under their thumb forever... based on what little we know anyway. Kathleen's not exactly an unbiased source, but Henry who worked with them referred to them as rapists and murderers, and it didn't sound like isolated incidents either. That raises the question on if these FEDRA groups have any kind of oversight or even regular communication with each other, or they're just very loosely affiliated QZs under one shared banner.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

freebooter posted:

If anything Henry's more likely to downplay what FEDRA did since he sold people out to them. Why would he exaggerate that?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
How many QZs are there in the game/show in 2023?

Boston
KC
Atlanta
Seattle
Baltimore(destroyed)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

freebooter posted:

I think this show was the first American series I've seen (outside of actual World War II stuff like Band of Brothers) to use the word "fascist" and I think in an American context (I'm not American) that appears to have lost a lot of meaning.

You can argue it's just semantics which is maybe fair enough, but it feels very weird to me for the show to have two black guys and a Jew literally hiding in an attic, but for being collaborators, and the point the show seems to be making is that actually both sides are bad...?

I dunno. Generally a good episode but it further underlined for me that Druckmann and I guess Mazin are very good at writing personal character-level stuff, and very bad at writing broader society-level stuff.

In this context at least (and probably a few others unfortunately) it seems to be short hand for "violently strict disciplinarian", as opposed to the classic political definition.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Kids die. All the time.

He didn’t just “do anything”, he sold out the universally beloved and admired leader of the resistance. In a world where people have an extremely low chance of survival already. At least he was honest with himself about It.

Lmao everyone dies all the time, such profound, much wisdom

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/last-of-us-bloater-episode-5-exclusive-newsupdate/ posted:

Jeremy Webb, director of episodes 4 and 5 of The Last of Us, told RadioTimes.com that prosthetics legend Barrie Gower "built a Bloater suit for a huge stunt guy who’s six foot tall and who we flew in from the UK".

He continued: "So we had a real person in a Bloater suit coming out of the ground. But we also shot plates so that if we wanted to replace him later or change him with CG, we could.

"We thought, ‘He looks pretty good, but we want the option.’ So we did it both ways and actually, in the end, we did replace him because we wanted him to move differently. But having the reference of the costume in the real space is one of the reasons the CG looks so incredibly real."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Six feet tall isn’t that huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Six foot four and a hundred and ten kilograms is, though.

On the left is Vladimir Furdick, 5′11″.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 12, 2023