Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timby posted:

That's the one highlight I mentioned.

Prepare for a treasure trove of bullshit.

I'm setting my expectations low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McCloud posted:

I'm setting my expectations low

Set them lower.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mike the TV posted:

List doesn’t include In The Cards. Shameful list.

Minions of orthodoxy got to the list

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Timby posted:

Set them lower.

Sir, we canna go any lower

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

Sir, we canna go any lower

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Its rough going but I'm making it through TNG's first season. drat there's some bad episodes but there's also some good ones. More bad than good though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollismason posted:

Its rough going but I'm making it through TNG's first season. drat there's some bad episodes but there's also some good ones. More bad than good though.

Just bite the bullet and watch Enterprise instead of going through TNG for the umpteenth time.

Enterprise isn't good (shut up, HD DAD), but it'd at least be something new.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In my rewatch of TNG last year, I had way more fun with S1 than I was expecting. S5 was a loving slog though, outside of Darmok, C&E, and Inner Light.

Timby posted:

I have been summoned.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I watched Enterprise last year and I just don't find it as relaxing as TNG , DS9 or Voyager. Star Trek is how I like to wind down at night. Enterprise is not conducive to that. I don't particularly like any of the cast.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

In my rewatch of TNG last year, I had way more fun with S1 than I was expecting. S5 was a loving slog though, outside of Darmok, C&E, and Inner Light.

I shall not stand for this erasure of I, Borg.

Also Redemption II is probably the best second part of a TNG two-parter not named Chain of Command, The First Duty is excellent, Unification is fun, Disaster is pretty good, and both Ensign Ro and The Game are fun.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That Picard episode with Riker and Troi includes the best acting they've ever given Marina Sirtis a chance to do, when Picard tells her "I'm fine" and you can see a dozen expressions wash over her face.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPColin posted:

That Picard episode with Riker and Troi includes the best acting they've ever given Marina Sirtis a chance to do, when Picard tells her "I'm fine" and you can see a dozen expressions wash over her face.

You're not wrong, but her drunk scene in First Contact is up there. (Really, I enjoy the Earth bits of First Contact much more than I do the Star Trek Does Aliens parts on the Enterprise.)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Timby posted:

Again, I'm saying why it has the reputation, not that it was actually grimdark.

Jesus, people.

I think the reputation for being dark predates the Dominion. If anything, the war took the focus off the darker parts and highlighted the hoorah CGI ship battles. It was darker when the focus was on Starfleet officers stuck on a frontier station full of assholes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Timby posted:

You're not wrong, but her drunk scene in First Contact is up there. (Really, I enjoy the Earth bits of First Contact much more than I do the Star Trek Does Aliens parts on the Enterprise.)

Frakes laughs at himself during his DVD commentary for that scene because he just gets to stand there doing nothing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Troi getting a chance to actually have a character and call Picard out on his poo poo was def the best part of the first season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Troi getting a chance to actually have a character and call Picard out on his poo poo was def the best part of the first season.
It was basically the first time they showed her being good at being a therapist.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

It was basically the first time they showed her being good at being a therapist.

"Captain, it's not all right" is a pretty good line in Generations. And then her digging into how much Picard's family history means to him.

God drat, the meat on the bones of Generations is good, but there isn't nearly enough of it. Like ... a plate of Buffalo Wild Wings compared to a buffalo chicken dinner from a good restaurant.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 12, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Troi’s a really frustrating character because there’s plenty of character moments like that sprinkled throughout all of TNG. It’s a shame no one ever figured out what to do with her beyond saying obvious things on the bridge because Sirtis can really pull off emotional beats when the material’s decent.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Watched Sub Rosa. It was so boring. I was hoping for a real trainwreck but I was bored. This is an episode that had legend around it. I was hearing about Sub Rosa before I even gave TNG a go. Then I watched it and it was just boring although Crusher's monologue at the end where she calls out Ronin for being some sort of alien and she is so dramatic about a series of highly scientific facts and space jargon.

Well at least I also watched Armageddon Game with it. We get some good Bashir/O'Brien talk and I also like the motivations of the aliens. It was weird how Keiko figures out the footage is doctored because O'Brien is drinking coffee in late afternoon. Then at the end they make a joke about it O'Brien apparently does drink coffee in the late afternoon? This is quite the mystery. I hope we get a two-parter focusing on it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I watched all of Prodigy.

Why is this show so good

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Why is this show so good

Behold the power of giving a poo poo when you try to make a Star Trek.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Timby posted:

Just bite the bullet and watch Enterprise instead of going through TNG for the umpteenth time.

I've finally got to season 4 of Enterprise and it's heartbreaking that it actually became good right as it died, the first two seasons were a slog and the Xindi saga was kinda stupid but I've wholeheartedly enjoyed the Coto era

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Troi’s a really frustrating character because there’s plenty of character moments like that sprinkled throughout all of TNG. It’s a shame no one ever figured out what to do with her beyond saying obvious things on the bridge because Sirtis can really pull off emotional beats when the material’s decent.

There were so many Guinan scenes which would have been perfect (and made sense) to be Troi scenes. You know... an actual councilor who's job is to guide the crew with their issues and offer bits of wisdom to help them figure things out. Not saying Guinan was a mistake of course - but her role really pushed Troi out into offering juicy insights like "I'm sensing anger" as a volley of torpedos hits the ship :(

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The best councilor was Quark

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dog_Meat posted:

There were so many Guinan scenes which would have been perfect (and made sense) to be Troi scenes. You know... an actual councilor who's job is to guide the crew with their issues and offer bits of wisdom to help them figure things out. Not saying Guinan was a mistake of course - but her role really pushed Troi out into offering juicy insights like "I'm sensing anger" as a volley of torpedos hits the ship :(

Which is also unfortunate in itself because those Guinan scenes are arguably better than any of the few equivalent Troi scenes. Whoopi’s just a fantastic actor, you can’t really compete against that when you’re essentially both filling the same role. Between Guinan existing and no one giving Sirtis anything to work with, there’s just rarely any opportunity for Troi to do anything of substance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dog_Meat posted:

There were so many Guinan scenes which would have been perfect (and made sense) to be Troi scenes.

It was designed that way, they often wrote scenes so that if they couldn't get Whoopi it could become Troi.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Whoa, they got Admiral Robocop and the Winkies guy for the finale?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Timby posted:

Again, I'm saying why it has the reputation, not that it was actually grimdark.

Jesus, people.

hey, BTW, ds9 is not really grimdark

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9 understood the importance of establishing bonds with the characters during both their good times and their bad times. If it's all good times they can be a little boring (i.e. TNG). If it's all bad times they're just depressing to be around (i.e. Picard, or so I've heard). Ideally you see them at their best so you get to respect them, then you see them at their worst so you feel like you've gone through stuff with them.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I usually push back against recommendations to skip S1 entirely, because about half of it is actually pretty decent, and it's fun to see them taking big swings before they settle into the '90s Trek house style. There would certainly be no shame in using a watch list though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

No Dignity posted:

Whoa, they got Admiral Robocop and the Winkies guy for the finale?

I still want them to get Peter Weller back for SNW as the Prime Version of Admiral Marcus. Could flip the script and make him seem bad but turn out to be good without the influence of the Narada incursion. Also do a twofer and have him direct.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

No Dignity posted:

I've finally got to season 4 of Enterprise and it's heartbreaking that it actually became good right as it died, the first two seasons were a slog and the Xindi saga was kinda stupid but I've wholeheartedly enjoyed the Coto era

Seasons 1 and 2 were aggressively fine in the same way most of Voyager is fine. Season 3 was clearly a) a case of post 9/11 brokebrains, and b) executive mandated retooling. Season 4 felt like the first time they were getting to really do something interesting with the series so of course that's when UPN shanked it.

Any episode with the Andorians is good, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Why is this show so good

nine-gear crow posted:

Behold the power of giving a poo poo when you try to make a Star Trek.

Also striking a sensible balance between episodic plots and an overarching serial metaplot.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HD DAD posted:

I have been summoned.
Sorry I'm late. You have my sword and/or my axe.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress it, rewatching TNG. This pilot is so deeply weird.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay do I actually watch These Are The Voyages at all or just respect where everyone else intended for the show to end? Don't wanna see my boy Trip die even if it's a stupid fake episode forced on the show by hacks

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like the TNG pilot. It's fun how much of a hardass Picard is, Q is really interesting, the mystery is kind of intriguing and the effects are really good. The pacing is off, but that's about it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TATV really has no redeeming value. Braga has come out and said it was a mistake, and Frakes regrets doing it. Lmao

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

These Are The Voyages could have been a fun little one-off episode (except for the pointless killing off of a character) if it had been anything other than the series finale.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah the pilot just feels like they stuffed too much into the episode. It's really two completely separate episodes stuffed into one episode. And then randomly, McCoy is out here on the frontier doing starship inspections outside of Federation territory.

I can ignore all the weird "we don't understand the Star Trek universe quite yet" stuff. Like, a manual docking makes no sense, when you'd need to be reacting to relative speed and position in real time, not belaying orders to another person who would then make the course corrections. And the saucer section travelling at warp speed. And really, how they thought they'd be doing saucer separations all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Here is what I pull out of Season 1 as watchable to good episodes:

Encounter at Farpoint (watchable and sets up certain dynamics of the show going forward)
the Last Outpost (watchable though misses the execution for the Ferengi, I enjoyed riker figuring out not to attack though)
The Battle (watchable to good, haven't seen it in awhile though)
Coming of Age (personal preference on this one, I think its good. I like the dual investigation and Wesley taking the Starfleet test)
Heart of Glory (good, fun, under siege with Klingons)
The Arsenal of Freedom (a legit good no doubt about episode)
Skin of Evil (I think this is a good to great episode, good acting all around, creepy, and picard giving a good gently caress you to Armus)
Conspiracy (good if a bit cheesy watching Riker and Picard phasering half of starfleet to death)
Neutral Zone (good, love the romulan reveal, and I kinda like the 20th century people gawking about the 24th)

so 9 of 26 as watchable to good isn't so bad. And there are others that I would consider borderline ok but there is some REAL dreck in there too.