Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Looks like MyDigitalDiscount / MyDigitalSSD has gone under.. their website only points to an email address and most of their products now show as 'currently unavailable' on Amazon.

Their SSD enclosures were top notch and they gave good tech support for them.. kinda thought something was up when they suddenly started selling pandemic products (sanitizer, masks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Samsung is the same megacorp that lost their phone platform keys because, rather than putting that poo poo in a lockdown HSM like you might expect an enormous mega corporation with unlimited resources to do, they just had it lying around on random systems.

I know that it is an extremely large company and that its many product divisions are rather independent, but at a high level something is wrong with their corporate governance in a way that stands out even in late stage capitalist society.

We can ignore the problem with Samsung as a company and still, I believe, conclude that enough drive loss & severe performance impairment problems have emerged in recent history that we just cannot blindly recommend them anymore. At least other drives will work.

It isn't 2014 anymore. There's a ton of good manufacturers out there now. Why force one particular shoe on a foot when it just doesn't fit nicely? Why settle for Okay when Good is abundant?

I've personally avoided Samsung SSDs just from the tech news about them I've picked up over the years. Needing to apply firmware updates to resolve bugs, address performance issues, poo poo like that - it was more than enough for me to not consider getting them even if they were priced the same as other drives.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

repiv posted:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/support/guides/critical-samsung-ssd-firmware-update/

Samsung 980 Pros are crashing and getting stuck in read-only mode, update your firmware to avoid it

Just want to say thanks for this since guess what firmware was on the 980 Pro I bought for my PS5? (And yes would have only a minor annoyance, but prevention is wonderful)

Edit: ironically I bought the Samsung partially because it was on sale and partially because they’re supposed to be so safe. Ugh. It’s literally a faster hard drive than either of the Intel and Samsung SSD’s in my laptop (2 bays for the win), the Sandisc ssd in my parents desktop, WD ssd in my PS4, or the ssd in my dads laptop (all are either NVM 3 or SATA). But yeah hey oops. The supposed best isn’t rock solid one (yes I know nothings perfect, backs massively important, etc)

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 12, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've personally avoided Samsung SSDs just from the tech news about them I've picked up over the years. Needing to apply firmware updates to resolve bugs, address performance issues, poo poo like that - it was more than enough for me to not consider getting them even if they were priced the same as other drives.

I would consider it worse sign if there are no firmware updates. At least the updates show that the manufacturer is willing to support their product. SSDs seem such a complex devices that I may still not trust manufacturers to get them right at first try. It doesn't happen even with expensive enterprise SSDs. We use a lot of HPE Proliant servers at work and I keep track of the firmware updates. Several SSD models had updates to fix a silly issue where they would die when they reach a lifetime of 32768 hours.

Our VMware VDI got hit by an issue where the drive would die after you upgrade to VMware 7.0 unless you update the firmware. They didn't initially notice the requirement and then they had a drive die and found out about the update. I guess they didn't quite believe and assumed the death was more of a coincidense. And soon after another drive died and they realized all the drives must be updated immediately.

That is such an incomprehensible issue for me. "If you upgrade your operating system, your SSD that has been working flawlessly for years will die within weeks."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saukkis posted:

I would consider it worse sign if there are no firmware updates. At least the updates show that the manufacturer is willing to support their product. SSDs seem such a complex devices that I may still not trust manufacturers to get them right at first try. It doesn't happen even with expensive enterprise SSDs. We use a lot of HPE Proliant servers at work and I keep track of the firmware updates. Several SSD models had updates to fix a silly issue where they would die when they reach a lifetime of 32768 hours.

Our VMware VDI got hit by an issue where the drive would die after you upgrade to VMware 7.0 unless you update the firmware. They didn't initially notice the requirement and then they had a drive die and found out about the update. I guess they didn't quite believe and assumed the death was more of a coincidense. And soon after another drive died and they realized all the drives must be updated immediately.

That is such an incomprehensible issue for me. "If you upgrade your operating system, your SSD that has been working flawlessly for years will die within weeks."

I honestly don't get this, at least when it comes to consumer devices. If it is a concern then why do my SSDs from other manufacturers keep chugging away happily and, as far as I can tell, performantly without any need for direct intervention on my part? I haven't done a complete census but I know I have drives knocking around that are at least 10 years old and they seem fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I honestly don't get this, at least when it comes to consumer devices. If it is a concern then why do my SSDs from other manufacturers keep chugging away happily and, as far as I can tell, performantly without any need for direct intervention on my part? I haven't done a complete census but I know I have drives knocking around that are at least 10 years old and they seem fine.

If you had a 980 Pro, the most likely thing is that it would also be chugging along with your other drives. And if you lived under a rock and never updated the firmware, most likely it would continue to do so. The problem does not kill every drive. This firmware update came because Puget -- a decent-sized OEM that uses almost exclusively 980 Pros and has a real customer service department -- noticed it. If Puget saw it and nobody else did, it's probably pretty dang rare.

I have an OCZ drive that still works fine, from a company and model series that was famous for dying. "My other SSDs haven't had problems" is really weak data.

Basically, SSDs are complex enough to have problems in firmware, it is what it is. IMO Samsung having trouble right now isn't a reason to strictly avoid them -- in a few years it could be someone else. Samsung is also pretty much the only company that hasn't pulled post-release component switcharoos that hurt performance. (OTOH they also charge a pretty hefty premium for their SSDs, which I've generally felt wasn't justified.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I do not qualify a user who "doesn't upgrade device firmware" as "living under a rock." That's "regular user" territory.

I am glad that Puget was able to detect this at their scale, because it seems this may have otherwise gone under the radar and left goons with an increased risk of device failure within service life.

I'm glad there's fellow storage engineers here and I agree this would be worse if there were no patches available. Samsung devices are still fine for enterprise devices and prosumers who, as I clarified here and in the OP, stay up to date on tech hardware news and have the time/skill to manage device firmware.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 13, 2023

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not to defend Samsung as if they are paragons of correctness, but most of their updates have been to fix either edge cases, or non-standard consumer use cases. For instance, the 32768 hour bug wouldn't pop up for a consumer unless they left it running 24/7 for close to 4 years. At 8hr/day, it'd take over 11 years to hit that. So really that fix was targeted at people using consumer drives for enterprise workloads. The vast majority of Samsung SSDs being used by Normal People would have been fine without ever having an update applied.

That said, it's been a while since I've personally bought Samsung simply because other companies have competing products that are similarly speedy for my purposes and notably cheaper. But I wouldn't avoid Samsung over any of this.

I mean, it's worth remembering that it's entirely possible (probable, even) that other drives by other companies out there are just as bad if not worse, but because there aren't large(ish) OEMs slapping thousands of them into pre-builts every month, the defect reports never get collected up into a large enough mass to get any attention from the SSD manufacturer.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 13, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crucial and SanDisk Ul-- :airquote: WD Blue :airquote: operate in extremely significant quantities in business class laptop fleets that I'm familiar with in a first or second person context, and if they failed at a rate of a few % during service lifetime, I'd know.

I agree that other brands could totally be just as bad, maybe, but that's not a reason to direct buyers to a known bad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I had a rash of WD blues die within days of unboxing and so I don't use them anymore. Bummer, they used to be solid.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fucken a

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Yeaaaaah. I mean, this is basically the same story as was had with HDDs back in the day: virtually every major manufacturer had borked at least one model to the point that people would rant "never buy X!" where, aggregated over all the people ranting, X ended up being an almost complete set of HDD OEMs.

To that end, though, you're right that if we're pointing people to known problematic versions, we should at least also be noting that you may need to update the firmware as one of the first things you do.

But given that doing so takes like 10 minutes and it seems (so far) to have completely resolved the issue... :shrug:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Potato Salad posted:

I do not qualify "Doesn't upgrade device firmware" as "living under a rock." That's "regular user" territory.

To calibrate, where do you put driver updates?

To me, firmware updates fall into the same category as drivers, BIOS, and stuff like that. Enthusiasts and professionals* should know about it and keep on top of it. Regular users don't, but regular users also don't need a 980 Pro. A regular user is fine with a MX500 or WD blue that's been around for 5 years and has a great track record.

If you want to live on the bleeding edge, you should know how to use a bandage.

*where "professionals" IMO includes people who are not IT but their work requires high-end performance PCs.

Potato Salad posted:

Crucial and SanDisk Ul-- :airquote: WD Blue :airquote: operate in extremely significant quantities in business class laptop fleets that I'm familiar with in a first or second person context, and if they failed at a rate of a few % during service lifetime, I'd know.

We don't know what the failure rate was. Puget says: "Despite historically being some of our most reliable parts, we have received a surprising number of reports of failing Samsung drives, specifically with the 2TB version of the 980 Pro."

That sounds to me like it was less than a few % overall rate, and more like a cluster that they looked into. Apparently the problem produces a particular error code reliably before the failure occurs. So there's a diagnostic symptom to help identify a pattern even at low overall rate.

I'm not sure there's a device that redeyes hasn't had troubles and failures with

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only time I stopped using a company's products for a long time was when a Seagate HDD was locking up Windows and applications for several seconds and I couldn't figure out what was wrong because checkdisk didn't find anything and the SeaTools were reporting "all clear, warranty does not apply". Someone in SHSC pointed me towards CrystalDiskInfo and noted that the drive was racking up really high raw values for Reallocated Sector Count, the HDD was actually (not so) slowly dying but Seagate had set SMART thresholds that would have allowed for thousands more reallocated sectors before triggering SMART warnings. I didn't even stop using it because it was about to die (I had dead and dying parts before, disks and otherwise), but because that was just grossly negligent or borderline intentional and gently caress them for playing roulette with my data at the time.

Klyith posted:

I'm not sure there's a device that redeyes hasn't had troubles and failures with
:v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would say that for the majority of PC users, if an update is delivered via Windows Update then it gets applied, if it doesn't then it doesn't.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought the 2TB 980 Pro for my PS5 in July of 2022.

I finally pulled it out of the PS5 today to update it. Something that's not easy because apparently don't have anything with more than one m.2 slot, but I finally got it into a machine with a PCI adapter.

Magician reported it already had the 5B2QGXA7 firmware and didn't require an update.

What in the actual hell? Didn't that firmware just come out to address this?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

I would say that for the majority of PC users, if an update is delivered via Windows Update then it gets applied, if it doesn't then it doesn't.

Yeah, and do I hope that the SSD companies are working to get firmware applied via windows update. BIOS updates can be -- I was surprised as heck the first time I rebooted my laptop for WU and then went into a BIOS update screen. I feel like SSDs should be easier than that, since most of the manufacturer toolkits (samsung magician, etc) can do firmware from inside windows without a reboot.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Magician reported it already had the 5B2QGXA7 firmware and didn't require an update.

The problem was just recently discovered, but it only affects the launch firmware iteration. Apparently Samsung had already fixed it for quite some time, but didn't publicize the update as critical? (Maybe they didn't know, or maybe they didn't want the bad PR and hoped nobody would notice.)

quote:

In our internal records and testing, we have identified the following versions are not experiencing the failure symptoms: 4B2QGXA7 / 5B2QGXA7
The affected firmware is 3B2QGXA7.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

Nah, that firmware came out in Jan 2022. Just didn't really have a lot of attention until recently, given the currently observed issues with the (older) 3B2QGXA7 firmware.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Klyith posted:

Yeah, and do I hope that the SSD companies are working to get firmware applied via windows update. BIOS updates can be -- I was surprised as heck the first time I rebooted my laptop for WU and then went into a BIOS update screen. I feel like SSDs should be easier than that, since most of the manufacturer toolkits (samsung magician, etc) can do firmware from inside windows without a reboot.

someone other than me needs to just suck it up and make nvme-cli for windows so you don't even need stupid manufacturer toolkits (or stupid anime crystaldiskmark)

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Klyith posted:

The problem was just recently discovered, but it only affects the launch firmware iteration. Apparently Samsung had already fixed it for quite some time, but didn't publicize the update as critical? (Maybe they didn't know, or maybe they didn't want the bad PR and hoped nobody would notice.)

The affected firmware is 3B2QGXA7.

Maybe I just went to a lot of trouble for the peace of mind then

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So, just as a refresher, is it now ok to use a QLC drive like the Intel 670p as the OS drive? Because I saw the 2TB 670p was just $80 a few days ago.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Every time I look at Amazon for a 970 Evo Plus, the price for a 2 TB gets lower.. it's at $149.95 now. Wonder if they know anything?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I picked up a 2tb WD black for like $170? Just buy that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah nowadays gen 4 drives, even fast ones, routinely hit $150 or thereabouts

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

teagone posted:

So, just as a refresher, is it now ok to use a QLC drive like the Intel 670p as the OS drive? Because I saw the 2TB 670p was just $80 a few days ago.

For grandma's solitaire rig or the college gaming computers of your horrible triplet nephews Buzz, Buster, and Buck, they are absolutely fine and that price is great. The SLC write cache is 280GB on the 2TB models, a number i highly doubt any regular user is ever gonna hit.

If you are the type of turbo-dork who knows of this thread and want something for your personal rig, I would probably steer you to a different Gen4 drive like others are mentioning.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cygni posted:

For grandma's solitaire rig or the college gaming computers of your horrible triplet nephews Buzz, Buster, and Buck, they are absolutely fine and that price is great. The SLC write cache is 280GB on the 2TB models, a number i highly doubt any regular user is ever gonna hit.

If you are the type of turbo-dork who knows of this thread and want something for your personal rig, I would probably steer you to a different Gen4 drive like others are mentioning.

Sounds good. I don't really need to upgrade right now, and seems like prices are continually trending downward. I can wait a little longer. Just figured I'd ask since $80 is like "ehh why not" sort of money for a 2TB SSD lol.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The question for QLC is not grandma PC vs enthusiast PC, it's "how much data do you write?" If the only time you write over 100GB is to install a new game on steam, QLC is probably fine for you. Especially at the big 2TB sizes that have plenty of endurance and a big SLC cache.

OTOH the WD SN770 2TB has been $130 recently, and is TLC and mid-range PCIe Gen4 in speed. Assuming WD isn't putting them on sale because they've just done a component switcharoo, that'd be my pick for a good deal.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Uhhh whats wrong with the 980 Pro? I thought I had a 970 but apparently I do have a 980 Pro

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

track day bro! posted:

Uhhh whats wrong with the 980 Pro? I thought I had a 970 but apparently I do have a 980 Pro

It has a firmware bug that can potentially kill the drive, particularly with 2TB size drives.

Get crystaldiskinfo (it's good, ignore the anime) to look at the firmware version of the drive. If it is 3B2QGXA7, install Samsung Magician to update it ASAP. Updating the firmware should be non-destructive to data on the drive.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

It has a firmware bug that can potentially kill the drive, particularly with 2TB size drives.

Get crystaldiskinfo (it's good, ignore the anime) to look at the firmware version of the drive. If it is 3B2QGXA7, install Samsung Magician to update it ASAP. Updating the firmware should be non-destructive to data on the drive.

Mines a 1tb, but I’ll check the firmware version thanks!

I really don’t know why I’ve bought so many samsung ssds. I should’ve just stopped with the stuff that happened to the 840, although that disk is still chugging away in an old mac mini. Got an 850 and a 950 which all still seem to work ok too.

Mind you, when I tested out my TB3 nvme enclosure the old 950 Pro still got faster read/write speeds than my HP EX950. I thought the HP was going to be the better drive being several years newer but eh.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

Get crystaldiskinfo (it's good, ignore the anime)

You do realize there's a normal version without anime, right? It's not even hidden or anything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any thoughts?
    SSD Sequential Write Slowdowns

So we've been benchmarking SSDs and HDDs for several months now. With the recent SSD news, I figured it’d might be worthwhile to describe a bit of what we’ve been seeing in testing.

TLDR: While benchmarking 8 popular 1TB SSDs we noticed that several showed significant sequential I/O performance degradation. After 2 hours of idle time and a system restart the degradation remained.

To help illustrate the issue, we put together animated graphs for the SSDs showing how their sequential write performance changed over successive test runs. We believe the graphs show how different drives and controllers move data between high and low performance regions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/1146b0s/ssd_sequential_write_slowdowns/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People not using fio and not using direct i/o for synthetic benchmarks make me sad :(

Client drives are written to be bursty. Would be more interested to see with an enterprise drive after a full and proper precondition. Also firmware wear leveling and performance management is black box black magic secret sauce

Also word is Solidigm is throwing the towel in on floating gate. The last hold out. Wonder if their Korean overlords are cranky about all of it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 17, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

People not using fio and not using direct i/o for synthetic benchmarks make me sad :(

Also word is Solidigm is throwing the towel in on floating gate. The last hold out. Wonder if their Korean overlords are cranky about all of it

fio is such a beast but getting it set up can be extremely intimidating :haw:

At a previous life I had a script all set up to run traffic to NVRAM drives (testing PCIe switch throughput) and the amount of options for metrics you could pull out was insane. I would generate huge html pages full of charts for the marketing and architecture dudes to pore over, and still felt like I was barely scratching its surface.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A mountain of options…and all for nothing because you forgot to specify an ioengine

Also if you think fio is hard to setup try it with spdk you’ll hate your life

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 17, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SSD Thread: (it’s good, ignore the anime)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

You do realize there's a normal version without anime, right? It's not even hidden or anything.

Yeah, but anime is very prominent on the page.

Someone on the previous page mentioned it and now I can't avoid thinking that people will get linked to crystaldisk and think it isn't the premiere drive info tool. :sweatdrop:

Rinkles posted:

Any thoughts?

What you're seeing on those charts is the drive running out of cache. Sequential write throughput on these drives is 100% about the pSLC cache. A drive wipe not resetting the pSLC cache is like, mildly unexpected, but not crazy or a flaw. Presumably if you waited a bit between each run it wouldn't happen.

All SSDs have performance degradation as the drives gets filled with data, which can be restored by a drive wipe. So "drive wipe for consistent best benchmark performance" is a thing people tend to think about SSDs. This is just a corner case where it's not true. Nobody cares or needs to care other than benchmarking enthusiasts.

pSLC cache is pretty integral to TLC & QLC wear leveling so in that way it's actually not surprising that the cache doesn't get reset by a wipe.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

oh hey just came to this thread to see what the current good SSDs are after my second 2TB 870 failure in three months - :eyepop:

cool cool cool good job samsung

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you want a SATA replacement, I have purchased a truly disgusting amount of MX500's over the years and have been happy. They tend to be $20 more expensive than the absolute cheapest 2TB drive on the market, but have a DRAM cache and can saturate the SATA interface for reads.

If you want to go to M.2 and have a PCIe4 board, the WD SN850X/SN770 are aggressively priced these days and would probably be my pick. I have an SN850 in my personal rig (and lots of other older WD SSDs in various systems) and haven't had any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I got a SN850x recently because gently caress Samsung (though my old 970 Evo plus is still hanging out as extra nvme storage).