Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just loving ban the dipshit Astros gimmick posters who do this poo poo from posting in SAS at all, and perma them if they insist on breaking that rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Yesterday morning my 3yr old was kicking a balloon around and someone said he should play soccer and he said "no, I wanna play baseball." And then like a half hour before bed he said he wanted to watch baseball. So that's cool.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

Yesterday morning my 3yr old was kicking a balloon around and someone said he should play soccer and he said "no, I wanna play baseball." And then like a half hour before bed he said he wanted to watch baseball. So that's cool.

That there is a very cool and smart kid. Mine is a soccer freak, thanks to the recent World Cup.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Lets talk about the Cubs instead.

If about 14 things break their way they might finish .500 this year!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I forgot Eric Hosmer is a Cub now. I assume one of the 14 needed breaks is getting him out of the lineup...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

That there is a very cool and smart kid. Mine is a soccer freak, thanks to the recent World Cup.

Peakjng that early in life is gonna be tough, never gonna beat that final

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

I forgot Eric Hosmer is a Cub now. I assume one of the 14 needed breaks is getting him out of the lineup...

They've got Mervis and Mancini as well, Hosmer seems like a piece of their plan more than an every day must play

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

alpha_destroy posted:

Your kid owns, you’re doing a good job

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

alpha_destroy posted:

Oh no, you have unleashed Hos posting...

I am curious how the Cubs will use him now that they got Mancini but I have a feeling that Mancini will be getting more time in the outfield particularly if the Cubs trade Happ at the deadline. Mervis is unlikely to start on the major league team but if he continues what he did last year we'll probably see him at some point.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

uggy posted:

Do the players lack agency? He looks really happy in the photos maybe he likes the deal which is why he signed it??

The players will be fine even if technically underpaid, but are we hoping the multi-billionaire will save a few million and reinvest it into the team?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bellinger and Hosmer are both gonna have breakout seasons and the only debate is going to be about which one of them will win comeback player of the year. :colbert:

Also Hosmer should be the daily DH with Mancini at first until Mervis comes up.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Lets talk about the Cubs instead.

If about 14 things break their way they might finish .500 this year!

The only redeeming thing about cheating-chat is it breaks the cadence of cubs-chat.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/KieferMedia/status/1624513907447459840

Realizing 1993 is considered a throwback era just made me feel really old.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Let's go back to Florida Marlins and California Angels while we're at it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bellinger and Hosmer are both gonna have breakout seasons and the only debate is going to be about which one of them will win comeback player of the year. :colbert:

Also Hosmer should be the daily DH with Mancini at first until Mervis comes up.

Bellinger second in MVP and Hosmer comeback

Well of course MVP is Morel but we already knew this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Red posted:

Yeah this year is our 30th anniversary

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Red posted:

I was recently gifted this program, good timing! Those old pinstripes were great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can even put it in your marlins trapper keeper

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mike_V posted:

I’m normally a sucker for alliteration, but Florida Marlins just feels right.

Red posted:

I’m looking forward to the ironic throwback to Turn Ahead The Clock unis

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Mike_V posted:

this x 1000

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

My parents kept all my school photos and apparently I wore an Inaugural Marlins t-shirt for my yearbook photo in the fourth grade :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Forrest on Fire posted:

They've got Mervis and Mancini as well, Hosmer seems like a piece of their plan more than an every day must play

Hoyer's already come out and said that he's talked with Ross and believes Hosmer will get the chance to start every day vs RHP, lmao. He's gonna get a billion reps because he's a lefty veteran. The Cubs are also usually slow in general to cut bait so I expect Hosmer to lag around until the ASB at the absolute earliest even if he's OPS'ing .400

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sydin posted:

Hoyer's already come out and said that he's talked with Ross and believes Hosmer will get the chance to start every day vs RHP, lmao. He's gonna get a billion reps because he's a lefty veteran. The Cubs are also usually slow in general to cut bait so I expect Hosmer to lag around until the ASB at the absolute earliest even if he's OPS'ing .400

Yes But His Solid Glove at First :smuggo:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

"that's 4x gold glove winner Eric Hosmer" I say out loud to nobody as another routine ground ball goes under his glove and becomes a man on base

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Folks, would you believe Fay Vincent doesn’t like betting in baseball?

quote:

"I worry about this,” says Vincent about gambling and MLB’s relationship today. "As history shows us with the 1919 Chicago White Sox, many today believe that it’s only a matter of time until we have another scandal possibly involving players or umpires.”

Vincent points out the behavior of the 2017 Houston Astros, as they would win a franchise's first World Series championship, all under a cloud of cheating. Although no gambling was detected, it was the stealing of opposing teams’ signs with a camera and relaying their findings in code by banging trash cans that steamed Vincent.

"That should have been a warning sign for baseball. The Astros cheated and got away with it,” tells Vincent.

When Rose was caught betting on games, Vincent reminded me it was a federal offense. He also doesn’t appear to have changed his mind on MLB's decision handed down in 1989 to the man who collected 4,256 hits.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m normally a sucker for alliteration, but Florida Marlins just feels right.

I’m looking forward to the ironic throwback to Turn Ahead The Clock unis

The Rays have ‘70s “throwbacks” they pull out sometimes. I think they were designed for a throwback game against the Cubs.

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/744225593944907776?s=20&t=6VPfdOzT-EWpxbB3aKWDZg

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 12, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MLB commissioners who are chased out by owners tend to be right about a lot of things

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1624872362750652419?s=46&t=I-P99nXJeiDVp-QAKOvPmg

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hosmer has a career .810 OPS vs RHP, which is better than Mancini's .786

so I don't really know why people are complaining about the Cubs choosing the better option

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doesn’t he own the marlins ?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

he owned like 5% of the Marlins at one point but bailed when they wouldn't let him be anything more than the public face of a cheapskate ownership group

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Edit: boy howdy I misread a post.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 12, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

he owned like 5% of the Marlins at one point but bailed when they wouldn't let him be anything more than the public face of a cheapskate ownership group

He was also responsible for them removing the Dinger Machine, that bastard.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Hosmer has a career .810 OPS vs RHP, which is better than Mancini's .786

so I don't really know why people are complaining about the Cubs choosing the better option

This is all moot because in June the Cubs will prove they're all in by trading for Diamondbacks star 1B Christian Walker to gain momentum for their divisional run!!!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Red posted:

I played on the Marlins in little league and this is the uniform we had. Nice little nostalgia hit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

He was also responsible for them removing the Dinger Machine, that bastard.
Still his greatest crime, other than when he did steroids his entire career and got away with it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i heard the organization gave him a very lovely gift basket when he was leaving

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t follow football, so TIL the Chiefs also do the loving Chop :psyduck:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t follow football, so TIL the Chiefs also do the loving Chop :psyduck:

Yep it's real fuckin' gross and Missouri is a lot more wedded to being racist shits than DC was.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

rickiep00h posted:

Yep it's real fuckin' gross and Missouri is a lot more wedded to being racist shits than DC was.

Atlanta isn't in DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Mike_V posted:

Atlanta isn't in DC

Atlanta hasn't stopped either though. I think he meant DC changing to the Commanders