Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

Losing almost an entire battalion each day. Jesus.

Of expendable people. Russian leadership DGAF about high losses if they're conscripts and convicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Where has the multi axis large Russian offensive been? I thought they wanted to kick one off before the spring mud comes into play?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Flikken posted:

Where has the multi axis large Russian offensive been? I thought they wanted to kick one off before the spring mud comes into play?

This is it. They're attacking on the Eastern and Southern lines in Donetsk. It's not going well.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Aside from gigantic events like Antietam and D-Day, has there ever been a period where US forces were having sustained losses of a battalion+ per day? :stare:

e: I’m assuming something stupid like that happened in the trenches of WWI, but the US was a late entry there and I’m guessing those stories would be mostly British or French.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Maybe some of the Pacific island campaigns?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'd hate to see the Ukrainian side as well, I just can't see them producing great trained replacements for line infantry.

Ukraine mobilized at the start and send everyone abroad for training. Russia hasn't really mobilized and sent all their trainers into Ukraine to die in the first 3 months. Ukraine has an extensive training pipeline, Russia has none. The big Russian offensive is making gains because they sent all their experienced units there.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They're making relatively tiny gains for all those casualties, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Of expendable people. Russian leadership DGAF about high losses if they're conscripts and convicts.

They don't really have any non expendable people left at this point.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Icon Of Sin posted:

Aside from gigantic events like Antietam and D-Day, has there ever been a period where US forces were having sustained losses of a battalion+ per day? :stare:

e: I’m assuming something stupid like that happened in the trenches of WWI, but the US was a late entry there and I’m guessing those stories would be mostly British or French.

It happened at points in the Korean war. I know some of the hill fights during the static phase of the war, the first battle of Pork Chop Hill specifically, were costing a battalion a day to hold and counterattack over and over, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other big ones like Bloody Ridge, Triangle Hill, or Heartbreak Ridge that were known to be particularly vicious fights had similar losses at the height of their battles. That's not including all the insanity during the first year of the war when everyone was going up and down the peninsula and the Chinese offensives and whatnot.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Icon Of Sin posted:

Do surrenders count? 12,000 US troops at Harpers Ferry, about the same in the Philippines. The Tet Offensive was pretty bad too. Siege of Charleston in the Revolutionary War wiped out about 6,000 guys (mostly surrendered), and ended the threat of a large American field army in the southern colonies.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
During WW1 the British would have 1000 casualties a day when there were no battles - just from the day-to-day existance in the trenches. Called it the horrible term 'wastage'.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hell, for the month or so of operations to take Iwo Jima, the US losses averaged out to about 1,000 casualties per day, just for Iwo Jima, not counting the whole war.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

The final armored thrusts into Germany cost the US pretty dearly, pushing hell for leather 60 miles per day at the end while racing the Soviets cost the third armored division over 40 tanks and crews per day, granted the US was able to sustain those losses but they had something like a 500% attrition rate by the time Berlin fell. They were literally bringing a shitload of green tanks and crews forward each day to lose them the same day, often in their first engagement with enemy troops.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 12, 2023

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
All that trouble just to get to the Spear of Destiny before the Russians

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think Normandy averages out to about a battalion a day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ok, so we've landed on "most iconic and culturally defining battles of American history" as an equivalent for what's happening right now in Putin's Special Military Operation.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So the TL:DR for these casualties are ”no, they arent a historical anomaly; But theyre near-peer warfare numbers in a world that got used to 30 years of expeditionary wars against non-governmental factions” with the asterisk that the historical wars where belligerents spent this kind of manpower were also fought by industrialized nations that had mobilized for existential conflict.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Or some of the worst individual days of Vietnam for US forces.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Making Soviet invasion of Afghanistan look like a cakewalk. What an achievement.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

Ok, so we've landed on "most iconic and culturally defining battles of American history" as an equivalent for what's happening right now in Putin's Special Military Operation.

Pretty much the only battles that have measured up to these casualty levels are found in the world wars, the Korean war, Vietnam war, or the US Civil War.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alternately, (picking reasonable ballpark figures given the estimates vary so wildly), if we take 10m military deaths for the USSR in WW2 over 4 years then that averages to about 7k dead every single day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Alternately, (picking reasonable ballpark figures given the estimates vary so wildly), if we take 10m military deaths for the USSR in WW2 over 4 years then that averages to about 7k dead every single day.

Woah woah woah. I've been told in this very thread that insinuating that the USSR was perfectly fine with sending their military to their deaths is racist.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

In comparison the US Civil War, known for its high casualties, was around 500 per day.

Edit: Admittedly over more than 3 years, so on average Russia is still well below that.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 12, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

psydude posted:

Woah woah woah. I've been told in this very thread that insinuating that the USSR was perfectly fine with sending their military to their deaths is racist.

Russia's war strategy is to be so incredibly bad in the first year of any conflict that their opponent drops their guard. Half the time it works.

e:^^ that chart is how you see estimates go from 'about 100k casualties' pre-Christmas to 'close to 200k' now.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 12, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I take that back.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 12, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wondering when the mix of massive losses for little gain with poorly led/paid troops on foreign soil implodes on a wide scale. I know they have brutal discipline but on this level with conscripts that won’t hold.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wondering when the mix of massive losses for little gain with poorly led/paid troops on foreign soil implodes on a wide scale. I know they have brutal discipline but on this level with conscripts that won’t hold.

If Russia has displayed anything, it's that there's no limit to the "stick" slider on the stick/carrot spectrum. Apparently you can get whatever you want if you apply an unlimited level of coercion.

And if there are negative consequences from this approach, push the "stick" slider even further to make those go away too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Carrot is also stick

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

psydude posted:

In fairness, it's hard to argue that this ISN'T ending up an iconic and culturally defining moment for Russia. Just, y'know, maybe not the one they'd prefer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Most of the time, those battles for the US ended up being "You should see the other guy" moments.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Overland Campaign
May 4 – June 24, 1864

Army of the Potomac suffered fifty five thousand killed and wounded.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Overland Campaign
May 4 – June 24, 1864

Army of the Potomac suffered fifty five thousand killed and wounded.

What did the south lose?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

What did the south lose?

A little over half that number. Although their numbers would have skewed more heavily towards killed, it doesn't really matter because your chances of losing a limb were way higher, so an injury in those days was significantly more likely to permanently end your soldiering career.

It's also important to remember that Grant's strategy was to force the Confederates to battle, even if the ground wasn't perfect. He wanted to make them bleed because he knew that every loss they suffered was irreplaceable.

Also, :hai: vvvvvvv

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 13, 2023

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Crab Dad posted:

What did the south lose?

The war.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Crab Dad posted:

What did the south lose?
The war.

e: f; b

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

A little over half that number. Although their numbers would have skewed more heavily towards killed, it doesn't really matter because your chances of losing a limb were way higher, so an injury in those days was significantly more likely to permanently end your soldiering career.

It's also important to remember that Grant's strategy was to force the Confederates to battle, even if the ground wasn't perfect. He wanted to make them bleed because he knew that every loss they suffered was irreplaceable.

Also, :hai: vvvvvvv

Yeah, also I think I read that in previous campaigns where the Union took heavy losses while also hurting the South, they’d fall back to Washington and give the South time to regroup. Grant kept pushing while getting replacements and the South couldn’t cope.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is there a thread in here for the coming Alien War?

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1624934609707233280

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/grahworin/status/1624105789571858438?t=HM3_1XSP15n5fzvjsSzH5A&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

America just reminding everyone, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Especially those damned aliens