Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ROFL Octopus posted:

Diamant is still fast enough to get two rolls on Sol and is strong and bulky for it to be meaningful when it activates imo.

I think the idea is that the really game changing skills are from the Emblems. Ephraim’s Solar Brace always activates as long as it’s Player Phase, for example.

e: Adding on to this idea, engaging with the twins gives Eclipse Brace, which dual procs Sol and Luna, something I’m pretty sure has never been possible before.

I mean Sol and Luna combined into one proc is Aether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

I mean Sol and Luna combined into one proc is Aether.

Right but come on you know what I mean. Stacking Sol and Luna on a unit before would only proc one.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean, they're more lovely luna and lovely sol. Them being guaranteed is nice though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t want to see another griffon knight in my life
the fuckers keep dodging my 85% accurate attacks, critting on 5%'s, doubling everyone, and they just. wont. loving. stop.

this is the first time i've been reduced to incoherent screeching frustration, and the first time I've used up all ten of my time crystal charges.

who made this map, and why. why would anyone do this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well, it's a map from Birthright, so infinite waves of incredibly tedious reinforcements are completely on brand.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

also if you get a game over - ironically, the only member of my army who wouldn't die was alear, so engineering that was a royal pain - the game says you can reset the battle but retain exp. For whatever reason, this does not apply to bond exp. As far as i can tell, it let me keep the few good levels I got, but not the bond ranks. Which is incredibly arbitrary, but gently caress it, I'll take it. At least I got something out of this two hour long shitshow.

I'm coming back with a half dozen warp staves and killing her on turn one next time. Now it's personal. :black101:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hellioning posted:

I mean, they're more lovely luna and lovely sol. Them being guaranteed is nice though.

Solar Brace+ is 50% health regen. It’s just Sol. Quite frankly I don’t think it’s ever been better than it is in Engage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ROFL Octopus posted:

Solar Brace+ is 50% health regen. It’s just Sol. Quite frankly I don’t think it’s ever been better than it is in Engage.

Only Fates, Heroes and Engage have had Sol restore 50% of damage dealt. Every other time its been in the series its restored the same HP as you did damage.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

Only Fates, Heroes and Engage have had Sol restore 50% of damage dealt. Every other time its been in the series its restored the same HP as you did damage.

Awakening as well. I’d say the Crest of Flames counts as Sol as well and it’s an even lower heal.

I’m also considering context. Genealogy has Sol recover 100% of damage dealt, but it’s a comedy option cause Dew is getting pity damage. Path of Radiance recovers 100% of damage dealt and the characters that can get it are all badass, but the enemies are extremely weak so a Skill% chance to heal isn’t a game changer.

I’d say here, where enemy strength is substantial, a guaranteed 50% of damage dealt heal is extremely powerful and the best implementation of Sol yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand in this game it doesnt activate on counters which kinda ruins one of the main appeals of it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I definitely got a lot of benefit out of the fact that I'd just heal up for half my health every player phase whenever Eirika was engaged. I never really swapped for it though because Eirika's skills are in general much better than Ephraim's, imo.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

also if you get a game over - ironically, the only member of my army who wouldn't die was alear, so engineering that was a royal pain - the game says you can reset the battle but retain exp. For whatever reason, this does not apply to bond exp. As far as i can tell, it let me keep the few good levels I got, but not the bond ranks. Which is incredibly arbitrary, but gently caress it, I'll take it. At least I got something out of this two hour long shitshow.

I'm coming back with a half dozen warp staves and killing her on turn one next time. Now it's personal. :black101:
update: whoever came up with Assign Decoy should be kissed on the mouth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunar Brace is one of my favorite skills. Sure, it’s weaker than Luna and only works on player phase, but it activates for every hit, guaranteed. It’s pretty amazing with arts or brave weapons. I’m considering inheriting it on a couple units in my Maddening run though that will likely require using the DLC SP books (but I’m not too proud for DLC so hey)

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Soren is absurdly broken. Forcing enemy AI to change their targeting is so absurdly strong and the fact you don’t even need to be engaged for it is the cherry on top. I did Chapter 19 while having Ivy on Assign Decoy duty to my General Alear and as long as you manage the groups and keep aware of how many are targeting you, Alear just tanks everything and attacks back with Hector’s guaranteed follow up.

I do feel DLC breaks the balancing of Engage, especially Maddening. Tiki alone is enough to make a super tanky god unit that heals themselves for 40hp when they rest while also giving Defence boosts if ally’s start in a square next to them. These new emblems not only give multiple strategies to approach maps, but the process of clearing them also causes you to over-level once you have solidified your main roster.

I still enjoy them, but I’m not too huge on a “pure” challenge but I know it could be a dealbreaker for some people.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish more games took a page from Kingdom Hearts and allowed you to turn EXP gain on and off as you so desire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I do feel DLC breaks the balancing of Engage, especially Maddening. Tiki alone is enough to make a super tanky god unit that heals themselves for 40hp when they rest while also giving Defence boosts if ally’s start in a square next to them. These new emblems not only give multiple strategies to approach maps, but the process of clearing them also causes you to over-level once you have solidified your main roster.

I still enjoy them, but I’m not too huge on a “pure” challenge but I know it could be a dealbreaker for some people.

Yeah I think it helps that it's relatively easy to ignore the DLC if you want to do a playthrough without them, since it's all literally sequestered on its own island and you can just not get the bracelets. Well I guess the free DLC items that get dropped in your inventory are harder to ignore but I guess you could just burn all the gold on Heal staves and sell the stat boosters/SP books if you don't want to use them.

I sorta wonder if the Wave 4 DLC will be balanced around having the bracelets, since it seems to be about the other world the bracelets came from. This assumes that it'll be part of a normal playthrough and not a separate campaign you access from the main menu though.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
if I inherit lunar brace on a character equipped with eirika can i switch to ephraim and get both or will it consider it "overlapped" still?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah, you misread my post. Master seals are on tracks, but you can use a second seal right after a master seal to go to anything you have proficiency for

You can branch off master seals but only in specific ways, and that will still require a weapon prof
ie louis can get to great knight and chloe can go wyvern rider just by picking up a second weapon prof.
You can see what your “alt branch” options are on the change class screen by scrolling down the list. All the advanced classes have a base class list, and if you want to master seal into them you need to match the base class AND weapon proficiencies.

If you’re making a more radical change, then you need to involve a second seal. Generally it’s recommended to promote and then second seal, cause when you do this all you need to do is match weapon proficiencies and the base class req is ignored. Otherwise you can second seal to the base class of what you want to target and promote normally.

The biggest exceptions are thieves and dancers, which are essentially promoted jobs that a few characters can start in. They’re just flagged as promoted for second seal purposes once they hit 21.
And finally all the royals have unique class tracks, so they’ll always need a second seal and master seal to successfully pivot (still should favor promote then reclass here)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Louis falling behind a bit @ lv15 General, decided to switch him to a Halberdier.

Yunaka, Anne, and Chloe are on their 2nd cycle as Sniper/Hero/Griffon Knight.

Wish if you go a second round with the same class, that class gets a different color shade just for cosmetics-sake

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The ability to pick colour schemes would be nice. Maybe they'll add it in with costume previews, one day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope they patch in the ability to wear default or casual outfits in battle regardless of class so that I can make someone other than Goldmary a Hero without making them hurt to look at

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reik posted:

if I inherit lunar brace on a character equipped with eirika can i switch to ephraim and get both or will it consider it "overlapped" still?

Every character who inherits Gentility or Lunar Brace will have the same version of the skill that the person who has the Eirika ring has. When they switch twins, it will switch for everyone with the skill; when they engage, all characters with the skill will get the engaged version.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I just finished chapter 23.

What the gently caress intsys? Who the hell decided that eleventy billion freeze staffs was even a remotely fun challenge? I get the synergy with the map's gimmick, but that was less challenging and more just frustratingly tedious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I had a ton of fun trying to kill the staves before I got bogged down. Silence staff is your friend, especially with Micaiah AoE

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Got the Pact Ring, definitely took a decent amount of fitness and rewinds to work out the clear.

My S choice:
Decided to marry Hortensia. She is a good girl

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Notty posted:

3Houses was significantly more focused on combining class skills to get the most out of your units, which meant you spent most of the early/mid game class hopping to collect good skills that created units that could juggernaut through the rest of the game. I would say it’s more of a long term/strategical oriented game because once you get your late game units you can kind of just mash A to win.

Engage has a lot of mechanics in place to prevent you from doing that, so more emphasis is placed on using your Emblem Rings to blow open advantages. It’s much more tactical experience, because you’ll rarely if ever outclass the enemy to the point that you can blindly throw your guys at them and expect them to come out unscathed.

Obviously your milage may vary and I know there are people who prefer the former, but speaking as someone who’s sick to death of the early game mandatory running of everyone through Bandit/Mage for Savage/Wicked Blow, the idea of going back to 3Houses after playing Engage makes me physically ill lmao.

3Houses sounds in Awakening in that sense since you just try to create the perfect child unit with the best skills.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I’m not a fan of all of the royals getting their own bespoke classes and stealing the cool abilities from the normal ones. Like how was the game improved by not having Alcryst just be an archer/sniper or Diamant a Hero? I think only Ivy and Hortensia aren’t identical to a preexisting class.

Yeah I agree with this. It also sucks that the only flying casters are two of the unique royal classes.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Ulio posted:

3Houses sounds in Awakening in that sense since you just try to create the perfect child unit with the best skills.

gently caress Galeforce all my homies hate Galeforce

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Notty posted:

gently caress Galeforce all my homies hate Galeforce

Ya anyone's mom who had galeforce would basically be a demi god.

Btw is Vander suppose to be like the Frederich/Marcus type of character in this game because he seems not as strong as those past 3-4 chapters.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 12, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GateOfD posted:

Got the Pact Ring, definitely took a decent amount of fitness and rewinds to work out the clear.

My S choice:
Decided to marry Hortensia. She is a good girl

You’re going to jail

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Barreft posted:

drat the best mod so far has been to replace the opening song. Why the heck would they use that weird thing when you can just use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1GYKor2Yo ?

i like the japanese version of the opening song

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

It's essential on characters with backup because they can move to support multiple units with a 100% after an attack.

canto instead of Dual Assist on backup characters is not a good use of SP

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Harrow posted:

I hope they patch in the ability to wear default or casual outfits in battle regardless of class so that I can make someone other than Goldmary a Hero without making them hurt to look at

it's a balance thing, the stupid neck ring minicape is the grim price you must pay for the power of brave assist

They do need to let us wear other outfits into battle though, yeah. What's the point of dress up if I can't send my army off to war in whatever absurd fashions I've stuck them in, IS?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

canto instead of Dual Assist on backup characters is not a good use of SP

Eh I think unless you're up against critical mass dual assist there's a fairly reasonable argument for canto on your stronger player phase backups. Like being able to strike and fade a flier with radiant bow anna and have 100% backups on the rest of the pack is good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In my Hard run Backup units were the only ones I didn't give Canter to so I could afford Dual Assist+ on all of them. Everyone else had at least Canter, with a few Canter+ users (Hortensia, Ivy, and Seadall for example).

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
my argument for canter on a backup is you can move your guys next to an enemy for a 100% chain attack chance instead of 30%

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I feel like saying Canter isn't one of the best skills in the game is just being contrary. The skills that might be better tend to be 2000 SP or more, and over the course of the game you're working with 3000-4000 SP total per character depending on how often they're wearing an Engage ring. "1000 SP on Canter, 2000 SP on whatever else seems good" is solidly better than any alternative that comes to mind, but I'd be curious to hear suggestions.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So the video I am linking has :siren: SPOILERS :siren:, but it's cool to see what mods are happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHKz8neg7w8

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
LEAVE ME ALONE MARTH I WANT TO FINISH LOOTING YOUR CASTLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

my argument for canter on a backup is you can move your guys next to an enemy for a 100% chain attack chance instead of 30%

Dual Attack+ has a 70% chance, though, and then you don't have to be nearly as careful about positioning them.