Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

You Am I posted:

I wonder what the chances of me finding a Pentium Pro motherboard these days

The Pro was never really marketed to consumers, and few OEM server manufacturers used it either. They seem to mostly turn up in very expensive dual-processor machines in my experience.

Unfortunately a lot of Pentium Pros got melted down years ago by gold recyclers thanks to some dumb urban myth that each chip contains an entire ounce of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

You Am I posted:

Oh hai look what I brought today:

It has been used, or at least the plastic protective case has been opened on the CPU. And it is missing the cool Pentium Pro case label. Got another Pentium Pro 200 from the same seller, however it was the CPU only, nothing else.

Very nice.

Check out geekenspiel on eBay for nice repro labels!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

You Am I posted:

Oh hai look what I brought today:

It has been used, or at least the plastic protective case has been opened on the CPU. And it is missing the cool Pentium Pro case label. Got another Pentium Pro 200 from the same seller, however it was the CPU only, nothing else.

Oh nice. Check out A1 Used Computers if you're looking for period-appropriate bits and pieces at decent prices.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

c0burn posted:

Very nice.

holy poo poo:

that's the one I had

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

c0burn posted:

Very nice.

Welp, saving that store for when I buy a new case soon. Modern 2020s case, full of 90s stickers :cool:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Creature posted:

Our external 56k modem was translucent aqua plastic like the coolest iMac. It had a headphone jack on top which I never understood. Other than listening to the dial-up sound what was the purpose for that?
Make phone calls with a headset! Dial the number straight from your computer database! Also here's this janky software that turns your computer into an answering machine!

Just throw poo poo at the wall you barely had to modify the hardware for, worry about there being broad consumer interest in it later.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

old bean factory posted:

Welp, saving that store for when I buy a new case soon. Modern 2020s case, full of 90s stickers :cool:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That rules

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I suddenly want to deck my laptop out with cyrix/adlib/voodoo stickers. Or perhaps a nice oldschool AMD one to go with the Ryzen?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Sweevo posted:

The Pro was never really marketed to consumers, and few OEM server manufacturers used it either. They seem to mostly turn up in very expensive dual-processor machines in my experience.

Unfortunately a lot of Pentium Pros got melted down years ago by gold recyclers thanks to some dumb urban myth that each chip contains an entire ounce of gold.

Tell me about it… I got all my hardware as hand me downs until after college. It sort of worked out because my dad was a software developer and spent tons on computer hardware. At the time he gave me the pentium pro because the motherboard died and he upgraded to a dual Pentium MMX system.

I spent so much time looking for a motherboard that wasn’t outrageously expensive. Then when I found one, it turned out that it only took ECC ram which cost $Texas. So many phone calls and so much walking into the myriad computer stores that existed then trying to find something that would work.
It never did happen, I was stuck with my Pentium 90 for a long time :/

That’s my story of the Pentium Pro that got away

e: SuperMicro is your only friend iirc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

c0burn posted:

Very nice.

One used to be able to e-mail AMD and they'd send you some pocessor stickers by letter. I put something like a K-3 whatever badge on my 286.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Me: It seems like Techmoan isn’t uploading as often as he used to.

Me, getting around to finishing his 2022 year in review video: …..oh.

Bummer, hope things get better for him.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Warbird posted:

Me: It seems like Techmoan isn’t uploading as often as he used to.

Me, getting around to finishing his 2022 year in review video: …..oh.

Bummer, hope things get better for him.

It's a long video, what was it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That reminds me of when I gutted my Pentium II HP Pavilion desktop except for the PSU and repurposed it to a print server with some janky ECS motherboard with a soldered-on processor of some kind (my memory fails me as to exactly what it was, but I think it was an AMD laptop chip of some kind).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He did a 2022 recap. Then he talked about some personal health and family issues.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sweevo posted:

In one of my first couple of computer toucher jobs in the late 90s my boss had a Pentium Pro as his office PC. I think it was 180mhz or something, which seemed cool compared to my P150. This was right before the MMX CPUs came out. It kept crashing and Gateway (I think was our OEM) wanted someone to handle reseating all of the hardware before they'd issue a replacement. We had like four IT guys in the computer room watching me work on it while we were on a speakerphone call with Gateway. Their top support level person had me basically just clearing the cmos, taking the ram out and putting it back in, and unplugging and plugging back the power supply cables and disk cables. It still crashed when we booted it up next so they issued a replacement motherboard that I think I ended up swapping in later.

I got that job largely because I put my own PC together in 1996 and knew how to get cd rom drivers working in DOS and Windows and the like. I think I still have a 19 or 25 floppy disk installation for Windows 95 around somewhere that was probably from that job.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Pretty much this:

Mister Kingdom posted:

He did a 2022 recap. Then he talked about some personal health and family issues.

No one thing. Mother died, diabetes doing what it does, some issues with growths in his sinuses, and so on. He’s apparently going to be scaling back in frequency in favor of getting exercise and not editing all the time. Claimed the current pace of things was “killing him”. Hope get gets to a better place with things. Though I am going to miss having a Sunday morning tech thing to watch with my coffee.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sweevo posted:

I remember my uncle having a Pentium Pro 180MHz built for himself.

So he could use it for word processing.

I was so pissed off.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I do recall seeing a Pentium 2 Overdrive chip for Socket 8 in the wild at some point, but I never owned one myself.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

... I believe you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel like that needs the old fortune cookie thing of adding "in bed" to the end.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I can smell something. I don’t know if it’s the ad or the guy in it, but I can smell something.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

You Am I posted:

I remember my uncle having a Pentium Pro 180MHz built for himself.

So he could use it for word processing.

I was so pissed off.

Happens all the time - company upgrades their computers and the boss demands to have the best one, which he then uses solely for checking emails.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

save some pussy for the rest of us

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought 9cm was the average. This is very troubling.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love LowSpecGamer's stuff, this one on Acorn is no exception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwdhPOVOUk

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

I love sleeper builds. If I made one, I'd make the Turbo button do something crazy. Spit fire or something.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

old bean factory posted:

I love sleeper builds. If I made one, I'd make the Turbo button do something crazy. Spit fire or something.

"Pat, why is your computer currently doing a wheelie? Why did you build wheels into your computer in the first place?"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sweevo posted:

I'm old enough to remember when they were new and they were popular in flight sim circles due to Falcon 3.0

if you were a Real Gamer circa 1992 you had the Thrustmaster HOTAS rig and rudder pedals, and a Pentium Pro 133mhz for that framerate boost. Only $4-5k in 1992 dollars.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Flashbacks of cutting out windows with jigsaws and fan holes with hole saws. Also these things

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wifi Toilet posted:

Flashbacks of cutting out windows with jigsaws and fan holes with hole saws. Also these things

Those and setting dipswitches on drives. :allears:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Those and setting dipswitches on drives. :allears:

What drives had dip switches? I don’t recall one in 25 years that wasn’t jumper blocks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EoRaptor posted:

What drives had dip switches? I don’t recall one in 25 years that wasn’t jumper blocks.

I misspoke, I meant jumpers. Although I swear I've seen some drives with switches, but I worked at a recycling/MAR place that got all sorts of weird poo poo through, and before that in a University environment where we had shelves of old Apple computers in the basement. Or I could just be confusing one type of old tech with another.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I think some of the old full-height SCSI drives had DIP switches rather than jumper blocks, although my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
yes, I had some with DIPs to set ID

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I also had some external SCSI CD ROM cases that used push buttons to set it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The coolest external SCSI drive I ever got my hands on had a rotating wheel for setting the ID. Absolutely loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I had one of those and I really regret cracking it open to harvest the magnets and play with them.